HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXXIII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Honestly, they have some kind of goaltending on that team and they are still amongst the top 8th. In the not so expensive category, chances are Burke missed the boat by not acquiring Ben Bishop. Not saying he would have went real far in the playoffs, but that would have been better than what he has now. Geez, at one point, I'm not too sure that Cédrick Desjardins would not have been better than what he's having. Seeing how Curtis Sanford does with Columbus, and even him would have been an upgrade.
But Burkie knows what he is doing....HAHAHA

Old
02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
GeneralManager*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
That sums up AKost pretty good "he contributed to one win this season" Well count me in as "amazed".

Kaberle has outproduced him as a dman on a brand new team/system while his main skill is almost non-existant (powerplay cycle). If that doesn't put him head and tails above AKost I don't know what does.

He might not mesh that is true but Akost has been here for over 5 years and he is on the third line and doesn't mesh either, time to cut him loose and move on.

Bourque is probably another third liner so who really cares? IMO he has a higher ceiling than Akost.
Akost doesn't COST you games, Kaberle has contributed NOTHING and cost at least 4 or 5 games because he can't play defense. Chalk it up as just another fail for your boy toy gauthier.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
But Burkie knows what he is doing....HAHAHA
No. Burkie is a fun GM to listen to. But haven't proved lately that he's that great. Yet, some here are ready to give the Gainey-Gauthier duo more than what they already had to make our team a better team....Burke deserves at least another year.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Good thing the Oilers didn't go full-tank mode. Still a long way to go though.

3-1 Blues

Old
02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
I would kill for a player like Marian Hossa on the Habs.....let alone Kane and Toews....sickening, so much talent on one team.
Isn't Galchenyuk compared to Hossa?

Old
02-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Ryan Smyth with the 5 min major and ejection for boarding.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
No. Burkie is a fun GM to listen to. But haven't proved lately that he's that great. Yet, some here are ready to give the Gainey-Gauthier duo more than what they already had to make our team a better team....Burke deserves at least another year.
Burke has great skills in making trades and signing UFA prospects. I think he's a better GM than Gauthier. He surrounded himself with great hockey minds and rebuilt the Leafs prospect pool to be very good. Has added good young talent to the roster too. His biggest weakness and ultimately what is causing the Leafs to not have success is his stubbornness. Because of it, they have a young unstable goalie duo and a coach that hasn't worked out. He's too stubborn to admit that his team perhaps needs to play more defensive to win. Give that team Jacques Martin and allow him to implement his system, their goals against will be significantly lower...even with their swiss cheese goalies. Granted no one knows whether their offense is really good enough to still be effective without their almost run and gun style. But it's a lot better than continuing the same cycle for 4 years.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
I read someone's opinion somewhere, maybe on here, that Burke is good at fleshing a team out, picking up solid guys from other teams, but hasn't shown he can build a team from scratch yet, which is basically where he started in Toronto.

Patience might be his worst attribute, if he'd waited, he could've had two-three top 5 picks by now.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Burke made one dumb move and that was the Kessel deal. He has been pretty solid otherwise. The team has gotten better each year and right now they're a goalie away from being a pretty good team. Burke has made some very good deals and he's somehow been able to dump a lot of bad contracts.

I won't say he's great, but his track record is pretty damn good. Can't say the same for Gainey or Gauthier. That's the thing...when you have a very good track record, people are willing to look past a couple bad deals. When you have a crap track record (Gauthier), people will criticize you for every bad move you make.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

The Nuge makes it 3-2

Old
02-29-2012, 10:32 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Told ya'll that with Nugent-Hopkins, anything is possible.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:34 PM
Delat

Oilers seem to gain some momentum, I hope they bring it into the third.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Burke made one dumb move and that was the Kessel deal. He has been pretty solid otherwise. The team has gotten better each year and right now they're a goalie away from being a pretty good team. Burke has made some very good deals and he's somehow been able to dump a lot of bad contracts.

I won't say he's great, but his track record is pretty damn good. Can't say the same for Gainey or Gauthier. That's the thing...when you have a very good track record, people are willing to look past a couple bad deals. When you have a crap track record (Gauthier), people will criticize you for every bad move you make.
Burke has a very good track record? Restocking the prospect pool when you are very bad for a long time isn't very difficult. He picked up some good players for nothing and the Leafs are definitely better than they were when he got there, but is that very difficult when you consider what he inherited? There prospects have a lot to prove because that team still needs a lot of work. They need to do a lot better job with their prospect development.

Gainey and Gauthier doing an even worse job doesn't make Burke a good GM.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:46 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

I don't think they're a goalie away.
Their Dmen could step it up, especially that Phanuef dude, who has a propensity to do something stupid in a lot of games. And stupid chronic to Phaneuf just like softness is chronic to Kaberle.

Old
02-29-2012, 10:59 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralManager View Post
Akost doesn't COST you games, Kaberle has contributed NOTHING and cost at least 4 or 5 games because he can't play defense. Chalk it up as just another fail for your boy toy gauthier.
Kaberle cost us as many games as Subban, just because our defense is too thin doesn't mean it is on kaberle. Hell if you want to nit pick we could put many losses on Price while we are at it but I am sure you only want to lay blame at PG. You would be whining if he grabbed Crosby for a 7th rounder.

Keep crying over your 3rd liner, your tears amuse me.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:02 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Easiest assist ever for Schultz?

He wasn't even on the ice when RNH scored I believe.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Lol, Hall checked by the 5 million dollar man on his own team.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:06 PM
OneSharpMarble

Oilers getting killed, we aren't getting 2nd place tonight.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Kaberle cost us as many games as Subban, just because our defense is too thin doesn't mean it is on kaberle. Hell if you want to nit pick we could put many losses on Price while we are at it but I am sure you only want to lay blame at PG. You would be whining if he grabbed Crosby for a 7th rounder.

Keep crying over your 3rd liner, your tears amuse me.
Whereas Subban has solidified his play to the point that fans can feel confident that his pair won't be scored on, Kaberle is well past the age to do the same. At least if our coach wasn't a complete moron and thus did not blow up our second best duo in AK-Eller, we might have delayed the full tank mode for another week or two.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:26 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Burke has a very good track record? Restocking the prospect pool when you are very bad for a long time isn't very difficult. He picked up some good players for nothing and the Leafs are definitely better than they were when he got there, but is that very difficult when you consider what he inherited? There prospects have a lot to prove because that team still needs a lot of work. They need to do a lot better job with their prospect development.

Gainey and Gauthier doing an even worse job doesn't make Burke a good GM.
Did you see the garbage he inherited? All those garbage contracts? He moved contracts we thought were untradeable.

Leafs had no prospects either. Burke had nothing to play with.

Also, when I talk about a track record, I'm talking about the Anaheim and Vancouver years. Gauthier is not in the same stratosphere as Burke.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:26 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
Whereas Subban has solidified his play to the point that fans can feel confident that his pair won't be scored on, Kaberle is well past the age to do the same. At least if our coach wasn't a complete moron and thus did not blow up our second best duo in AK-Eller, we might have delayed the full tank mode for another week or two.
Oh ya Subban is a real stud with Gorges saving his ass constantly. You watch many games? Gorges isn't furiously yelling at Subban because he didn't "Leggo his eggo".

AK-Eller had one amazing game and now you are blowing it way out of proportion. If they showed anything most of the year they wouldn't be playing on the third line.

Quote:
Did you see the garbage he inherited? All those garbage contracts? He moved contracts we thought were untradeable.

Leafs had no prospects either. Burke had nothing to play with.

Also, when I talk about a track record, I'm talking about the Anaheim and Vancouver years. Gauthier is not in the same stratosphere as Burke.
Funny how burke inherited a problem but Gauthier didn't. Hypocrit much? Ya I bet Vancouver and Anaheim fans really miss burke LOL

Old
02-29-2012, 11:27 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blame it on PK View Post
I don't think they're a goalie away.
Their Dmen could step it up, especially that Phanuef dude, who has a propensity to do something stupid in a lot of games. And stupid chronic to Phaneuf just like softness is chronic to Kaberle.
They're a goalie away from being a playoff team. Yes.

Old
02-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:
Oh ya Subban is a real stud with Gorges saving his ass constantly. You watch many games? Gorges isn't furiously yelling at Subban because he didn't "Leggo his eggo".

AK-Eller had one amazing game and now you are blowing it way out of proportion. If they showed anything most of the year they wouldn't be playing on the third line.
Oh, I'm sure that Gorges would love playing with Kaberle then ; with Kabs' nonchalance, general laziness(i.e not putting his stick on the ice...leading to a goal), and lack of strength, Gorges would come crying right back to PK. And PK still has a learning curve to climb. Kaberle is already a vet in his 30s. WYSIWIG with regards to Kaberle.

One or two good games by a player is more than what Kaberle's stat padding has done for us. Why? Because allowing goals is also Kaberle's forte. In short, he has helped us lose games, i.e that one against Carolina.

And AK-Eller has had more than one good game too, but my memory isn't that good to remember them all. Hell, even last season, when the AK-Eller-Moen was first conceived, they were putting out good shift after good shift, even if they didn't make the statsheet.

-------------
On a completely separate note, Nashville is 9th in league in goals for. Hardly an anemic offense, despite their appearances.

Old
03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Et le But

To me Nashville's offense should have been something to aim for before they ruined this team:

a. Balance. Everyone here always cries how we haven't had forwards at the top of the rankings, this year our first line is putting up decent numbers and how that's working out for us? Depth scoring is underrated, you want offensive stars ideally but you also want guys in every role who can contribute. It worked for the Bruins, and it will be interesting to see how Nashville does without a true go to guy.

b. The best defensive systems breed offense. I hate 90s Jersey trap hockey, it's boring, but at their prime the Devils could generate goals. For all the hate Martin gets around here, his Senators would top the league in scoring. Right now some of the teams with the most goals for have defense first coaches.

Old
03-02-2012, 09:58 AM
llamateizer

Its George McPhee facebook account

Closed Thread