HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXXIII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Tortorella is the complete opposite of Martin? Torts is very defensive, he brings in the toughness factor but the Rangers are one of the most "boring" teams in the league this year. Much like the Habs of the past few years they rely a lot on goaltending too.

Personality wise yes, he uses his energy to fire up his team and intimidate refs while Martin is a robot. But if there's any coach in the game I'd consider the complete opposite of Martin, it's Boudreau.

You'd think guys would stop obsessing over Martin now that we have a coach so bad he makes Martin look like Scotty Bowman.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Man I always wanted Tortorella as coach. He's the complete opposite of Martin.
Strangely, I am told that coaches who might be going balistic from time to time aren't good for us. I mean, that's one of the reason why people don't want Roy, 'cause he might be too demanding and too energetic. Doesn't seem it's a problem for the Rangers.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Strangely, I am told that coaches who might be going balistic from time to time aren't good for us. I mean, that's one of the reason why people don't want Roy, 'cause he might be too demanding and too energetic. Doesn't seem it's a problem for the Rangers.
There's no point in painting everything with such a broad brush, both "passionate" and calm coaches have their strengths and weaknesses. I think Martin is too much of an extreme but if you have a coach who is too over the top, there reaches a point where players will tune them out. The Rangers are great this year so of course Torts is firing them up. In another situation, well, you get a Mario Tremblay case.

It helps that Rangers team was built with Torts in mind.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
Krnage

LOL Lucic i knew he gonna do something stupid before the end of the game

Old
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Lucic is such a punk. Oooh cheap shot on McD.

Old
GoodKiwi

Lucy with her panties twisted in a bunch again. How cute!

Old
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Tortorella is the complete opposite of Martin? Torts is very defensive, he brings in the toughness factor but the Rangers are one of the most "boring" teams in the league this year. Much like the Habs of the past few years they rely a lot on goaltending too.

Personality wise yes, he uses his energy to fire up his team and intimidate refs while Martin is a robot. But if there's any coach in the game I'd consider the complete opposite of Martin, it's Boudreau.

You'd think guys would stop obsessing over Martin now that we have a coach so bad he makes Martin look like Scotty Bowman.
?????

He allows his Dmen to pinch a lot and to move the play up the ice. He's way less defensive than Martin.

Old
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Happy for the Rangers. Cheering for them and the Preds in the playoffs.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Lucic is such a punk. Oooh cheap shot on McD.
I can't wait for this punk to get his one day. Rangers looked pissed maybe next time he has a bullseye on his back he deserves it.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

You guys see the B's often enough ... why is Lucic such a punk?

Old
Maliki2

Oh look...Lucie throwing punches at the end of the game...cheap shots abound again in another one of of the Bruins losses. And they continue to mount up. I wouldn't want this clown at any price.

And tough guy Chara wants nothing to do with Scott...go figure.

Old
Et le But

Lucic is such a puke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
?????

He allows his Dmen to pinch a lot and to move the play up the ice. He's way less defensive than Martin.
The way his team plays the game is a lot more assertive than Martin, but the Rangers are a very defensive team. Like all high end defensive teams though, the defense is generating offense. Martin had that in Ottawa, not Montreal, where the talent was never good enough.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Oh look...Lucie throwing punches at the end of the game...cheap shots abound again in another one of of the Bruins losses. And they continue to mount up. I wouldn't want this clown at any price.

And tough guy Chara wants nothing to do with Scott...go figure.
LOL Chara ran away from Scott

Old
03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
The way his team plays the game is a lot more assertive than Martin, but the Rangers are a very defensive team. Like all high end defensive teams though, the defense is generating offense. Martin had that in Ottawa, not Montreal, where the talent was never good enough.
The Rangers aren't 'a very defensive team'. They're good defensively. Just because you're effective on defense doesn't mean your team focuses on it like Martin had the Habs focus on it.

When your dmen are pinching on 50/50 pucks, that's aggressive play.

He lets guys like Del Zotto move the puck up the ice instead of having that 'get up the ice with 10-foot passes then dump it when you can't gain the zone because that's a stupid way to move the puck' type of transition game.

He doesn't have the passive, one-man soft forecheck we had with Martin.

I don't understand how they're playing particularly defensive. They're playing aggressive hockey, but efficiently, without giving up a ton of odd-man rushes and quality chances.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:24 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
You guys see the B's often enough ... why is Lucic such a punk?
Small brain and lots of truculence.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Is anyone else afraid that the Bruins might repeat? The east is pretty weak if you ask me and I get the impression that the Rangers are overachieving.
NY Rangers are 12-4 v Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, and Devils ... not too shabby.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Et le But

Quote:
The Rangers aren't 'a very defensive team'. They're good defensively. Just because you're effective on defense doesn't mean your team focuses on it like Martin had the Habs focus on it.

When your dmen are pinching on 50/50 pucks, that's aggressive play.

He lets guys like Del Zotto move the puck up the ice instead of having that 'get up the ice with 10-foot passes then dump it when you can't gain the zone because that's a stupid way to move the puck' type of transition game.

He doesn't have the passive, one-man soft forecheck we had with Martin.

I don't understand how they're playing particularly defensive. They're playing aggressive hockey, but efficiently, without giving up a ton of odd-man rushes and quality chances.
You are telling me they don't emphasize defense first? I'm not saying they aren't aggressive, but they certainly aren't a run and gun offense or a Detroit style possession team. They are all about hard work.

This team was built to grind it out IMO.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
You are telling me they don't emphasize defense first? I'm not saying they aren't aggressive, but they certainly aren't a run and gun offense or a Detroit style possession team. They are all about hard work.

This team was built to grind it out IMO.
So any team that doesn't play the matador defense system is a defense-oriented team?

And Detroit is not an offensive team. They are very defense first.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
NY Rangers are 12-4 v Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, and Devils ... not too shabby.
Regular season doesn't mean much. I remember we were 8-0 one season against the Bruins then it took us 7 games to beat them in the playoffs.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:

Maybe his style has changed but Torto in Tampa was a pretty offensive mind coach. But he was asking a lot as far as exercing pressure on the puck carryer.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:32 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Regular season doesn't mean much. I remember we were 8-0 one season against the Bruins then it took us 7 games to beat them in the playoffs.
Very solid point. Also this team is young ... lots of growing to do as well.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:
So any team that doesn't play the matador defense system is a defense-oriented team?

And Detroit is not an offensive team. They are very defense first.
Both Detroit and Rangers have a coach who emphasizes defensive accountability. The Wings have a much more dynamic offense than the Rangers though.

A good team, whether defensive or offensive will have both. Look at Chicago, a far more fast paced, offensive team than the Rangers, but when things were going well they were responsible defensively too.

But I really don't find the Rangers an offensive team at all. Maybe I'm missing something, I dislike them so maybe I'm biased, but most of their goals are the result of hard work. I'm much more impressed by them on the defensive end.

And I stand by that Boudreau is the opposite of Martin. Loudmouthed (or "passionate"), players love him, doesn't hold anyone accountable defensively. Torts is just a better coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Maybe his style has changed but Torto in Tampa was a pretty offensive mind coach. But he was asking a lot as far as exercing pressure on the puck carryer.
It's basically the same system, but different personnel breeds different results. Both cases have aggressive forecheck and pinching, but the Rangers rely a lot more on hard work and elite goaltending.

There was even a topic about this on the main board a few months ago:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1081369

Old
03-04-2012, 02:37 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I can't wait for this punk to get his one day. Rangers looked pissed maybe next time he has a bullseye on his back he deserves it.
enjoy
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1126519

Old
03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Both Detroit and Rangers have a coach who emphasizes defensive accountability. The Wings have a much more dynamic offense than the Rangers though.

A good team, whether defensive or offensive will have both. Look at Chicago, a far more fast paced, offensive team than the Rangers, but when things were going well they were responsible defensively too.

But I really don't find the Rangers an offensive team at all. Maybe I'm missing something, I dislike them so maybe I'm biased, but most of their goals are the result of hard work. I'm much more impressed by them on the defensive end.

And I stand by that Boudreau is the opposite of Martin. Loudmouthed (or "passionate"), players love him, doesn't hold anyone accountable defensively. Torts is just a better coach.
Every team that doesn't think it can go chance for chance with another team and win that way will have defensive accountability. Just about every team plays defense because it's not possible to cut the neutral zone wide open and win consistently anymore.

Offensive doesn't mean flashy, off-the-rush goals. They pinch a lot to maintain pressure, and even though they don't have a lot of raw skill, they have a lot of players who can create offense once the play is established.

They might not be 'flashy' but they make a lot of risky plays that Martin would never, ever let his players do.

Old
03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Et le But

The Bruins aren't a dirty team though, they are just tough.

Closed Thread