HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part XXXIII (All non Habs related news here)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
  #851
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Tortorella is the complete opposite of Martin? Torts is very defensive, he brings in the toughness factor but the Rangers are one of the most "boring" teams in the league this year. Much like the Habs of the past few years they rely a lot on goaltending too.

Personality wise yes, he uses his energy to fire up his team and intimidate refs while Martin is a robot. But if there's any coach in the game I'd consider the complete opposite of Martin, it's Boudreau.

You'd think guys would stop obsessing over Martin now that we have a coach so bad he makes Martin look like Scotty Bowman.

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
  #852
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Man I always wanted Tortorella as coach. He's the complete opposite of Martin.
Strangely, I am told that coaches who might be going balistic from time to time aren't good for us. I mean, that's one of the reason why people don't want Roy, 'cause he might be too demanding and too energetic. Doesn't seem it's a problem for the Rangers.

Whitesnake is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:10 PM
  #853
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Strangely, I am told that coaches who might be going balistic from time to time aren't good for us. I mean, that's one of the reason why people don't want Roy, 'cause he might be too demanding and too energetic. Doesn't seem it's a problem for the Rangers.
There's no point in painting everything with such a broad brush, both "passionate" and calm coaches have their strengths and weaknesses. I think Martin is too much of an extreme but if you have a coach who is too over the top, there reaches a point where players will tune them out. The Rangers are great this year so of course Torts is firing them up. In another situation, well, you get a Mario Tremblay case.

It helps that Rangers team was built with Torts in mind.

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:11 PM
  #854
Krnage
Registered User
 
Krnage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Fermont
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,860
vCash: 500
LOL Lucic i knew he gonna do something stupid before the end of the game

Krnage is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
  #855
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Lucic is such a punk. Oooh cheap shot on McD.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
  #856
GoodKiwi
Registered User
 
GoodKiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Georgia
Posts: 9,226
vCash: 500
Lucy with her panties twisted in a bunch again. How cute!

GoodKiwi is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
  #857
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Tortorella is the complete opposite of Martin? Torts is very defensive, he brings in the toughness factor but the Rangers are one of the most "boring" teams in the league this year. Much like the Habs of the past few years they rely a lot on goaltending too.

Personality wise yes, he uses his energy to fire up his team and intimidate refs while Martin is a robot. But if there's any coach in the game I'd consider the complete opposite of Martin, it's Boudreau.

You'd think guys would stop obsessing over Martin now that we have a coach so bad he makes Martin look like Scotty Bowman.
?????

He allows his Dmen to pinch a lot and to move the play up the ice. He's way less defensive than Martin.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:12 PM
  #858
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant
 
VAN-HAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Port Moody BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,957
vCash: 500
Happy for the Rangers. Cheering for them and the Preds in the playoffs.

VAN-HAB is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:13 PM
  #859
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Lucic is such a punk. Oooh cheap shot on McD.
I can't wait for this punk to get his one day. Rangers looked pissed maybe next time he has a bullseye on his back he deserves it.

googlymoogly is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
  #860
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
You guys see the B's often enough ... why is Lucic such a punk?

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
  #861
Maliki2
Registered User
 
Maliki2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Saint Albans, VT
Country: United States
Posts: 10,227
vCash: 500
Oh look...Lucie throwing punches at the end of the game...cheap shots abound again in another one of of the Bruins losses. And they continue to mount up. I wouldn't want this clown at any price.

And tough guy Chara wants nothing to do with Scott...go figure.

Maliki2 is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
  #862
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Lucic is such a puke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
?????

He allows his Dmen to pinch a lot and to move the play up the ice. He's way less defensive than Martin.
The way his team plays the game is a lot more assertive than Martin, but the Rangers are a very defensive team. Like all high end defensive teams though, the defense is generating offense. Martin had that in Ottawa, not Montreal, where the talent was never good enough.

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
  #863
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliki2 View Post
Oh look...Lucie throwing punches at the end of the game...cheap shots abound again in another one of of the Bruins losses. And they continue to mount up. I wouldn't want this clown at any price.

And tough guy Chara wants nothing to do with Scott...go figure.
LOL Chara ran away from Scott

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
  #864
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
The way his team plays the game is a lot more assertive than Martin, but the Rangers are a very defensive team. Like all high end defensive teams though, the defense is generating offense. Martin had that in Ottawa, not Montreal, where the talent was never good enough.
The Rangers aren't 'a very defensive team'. They're good defensively. Just because you're effective on defense doesn't mean your team focuses on it like Martin had the Habs focus on it.

When your dmen are pinching on 50/50 pucks, that's aggressive play.

He lets guys like Del Zotto move the puck up the ice instead of having that 'get up the ice with 10-foot passes then dump it when you can't gain the zone because that's a stupid way to move the puck' type of transition game.

He doesn't have the passive, one-man soft forecheck we had with Martin.

I don't understand how they're playing particularly defensive. They're playing aggressive hockey, but efficiently, without giving up a ton of odd-man rushes and quality chances.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:24 PM
  #865
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 7,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
You guys see the B's often enough ... why is Lucic such a punk?
Small brain and lots of truculence.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:26 PM
  #866
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Is anyone else afraid that the Bruins might repeat? The east is pretty weak if you ask me and I get the impression that the Rangers are overachieving.
NY Rangers are 12-4 v Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, and Devils ... not too shabby.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:27 PM
  #867
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
The Rangers aren't 'a very defensive team'. They're good defensively. Just because you're effective on defense doesn't mean your team focuses on it like Martin had the Habs focus on it.

When your dmen are pinching on 50/50 pucks, that's aggressive play.

He lets guys like Del Zotto move the puck up the ice instead of having that 'get up the ice with 10-foot passes then dump it when you can't gain the zone because that's a stupid way to move the puck' type of transition game.

He doesn't have the passive, one-man soft forecheck we had with Martin.

I don't understand how they're playing particularly defensive. They're playing aggressive hockey, but efficiently, without giving up a ton of odd-man rushes and quality chances.
You are telling me they don't emphasize defense first? I'm not saying they aren't aggressive, but they certainly aren't a run and gun offense or a Detroit style possession team. They are all about hard work.

This team was built to grind it out IMO.

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:29 PM
  #868
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
You are telling me they don't emphasize defense first? I'm not saying they aren't aggressive, but they certainly aren't a run and gun offense or a Detroit style possession team. They are all about hard work.

This team was built to grind it out IMO.
So any team that doesn't play the matador defense system is a defense-oriented team?

And Detroit is not an offensive team. They are very defense first.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:30 PM
  #869
68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
NY Rangers are 12-4 v Bruins, Flyers, Penguins, and Devils ... not too shabby.
Regular season doesn't mean much. I remember we were 8-0 one season against the Bruins then it took us 7 games to beat them in the playoffs.

68 is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:31 PM
  #870
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Tortorella is the complete opposite of Martin? Torts is very defensive, he brings in the toughness factor but the Rangers are one of the most "boring" teams in the league this year. Much like the Habs of the past few years they rely a lot on goaltending too.

Personality wise yes, he uses his energy to fire up his team and intimidate refs while Martin is a robot. But if there's any coach in the game I'd consider the complete opposite of Martin, it's Boudreau.

You'd think guys would stop obsessing over Martin now that we have a coach so bad he makes Martin look like Scotty Bowman.
Maybe his style has changed but Torto in Tampa was a pretty offensive mind coach. But he was asking a lot as far as exercing pressure on the puck carryer.

Kimota is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  #871
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Regular season doesn't mean much. I remember we were 8-0 one season against the Bruins then it took us 7 games to beat them in the playoffs.
Very solid point. Also this team is young ... lots of growing to do as well.

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:33 PM
  #872
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
So any team that doesn't play the matador defense system is a defense-oriented team?

And Detroit is not an offensive team. They are very defense first.
Both Detroit and Rangers have a coach who emphasizes defensive accountability. The Wings have a much more dynamic offense than the Rangers though.

A good team, whether defensive or offensive will have both. Look at Chicago, a far more fast paced, offensive team than the Rangers, but when things were going well they were responsible defensively too.

But I really don't find the Rangers an offensive team at all. Maybe I'm missing something, I dislike them so maybe I'm biased, but most of their goals are the result of hard work. I'm much more impressed by them on the defensive end.

And I stand by that Boudreau is the opposite of Martin. Loudmouthed (or "passionate"), players love him, doesn't hold anyone accountable defensively. Torts is just a better coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Maybe his style has changed but Torto in Tampa was a pretty offensive mind coach. But he was asking a lot as far as exercing pressure on the puck carryer.
It's basically the same system, but different personnel breeds different results. Both cases have aggressive forecheck and pinching, but the Rangers rely a lot more on hard work and elite goaltending.

There was even a topic about this on the main board a few months ago:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1081369

Et le But is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:37 PM
  #873
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I can't wait for this punk to get his one day. Rangers looked pissed maybe next time he has a bullseye on his back he deserves it.
enjoy
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1126519

GregSirico is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
  #874
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Both Detroit and Rangers have a coach who emphasizes defensive accountability. The Wings have a much more dynamic offense than the Rangers though.

A good team, whether defensive or offensive will have both. Look at Chicago, a far more fast paced, offensive team than the Rangers, but when things were going well they were responsible defensively too.

But I really don't find the Rangers an offensive team at all. Maybe I'm missing something, I dislike them so maybe I'm biased, but most of their goals are the result of hard work. I'm much more impressed by them on the defensive end.

And I stand by that Boudreau is the opposite of Martin. Loudmouthed (or "passionate"), players love him, doesn't hold anyone accountable defensively. Torts is just a better coach.
Every team that doesn't think it can go chance for chance with another team and win that way will have defensive accountability. Just about every team plays defense because it's not possible to cut the neutral zone wide open and win consistently anymore.

Offensive doesn't mean flashy, off-the-rush goals. They pinch a lot to maintain pressure, and even though they don't have a lot of raw skill, they have a lot of players who can create offense once the play is established.

They might not be 'flashy' but they make a lot of risky plays that Martin would never, ever let his players do.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
03-04-2012, 02:39 PM
  #875
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
The Bruins aren't a dirty team though, they are just tough.

Et le But is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.