HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jarkko Immonen

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Jarkko Immonen

I got to see Jarkko Immonen play, for the first time since the Leetch trade, last night.

Immonen is a great prospect to have for any organization. He won´t come in and dominate, he will never be a player who brings people out of their seats with dazzling moves. But he has really good hockey sense. Immonen has a good stride and is a decent skater. He is in tremendous shape at 6´0.5 214lbs, he is built kind of like Rob Brind´amour. Kind of slim but very strong. He lacks some agility and foot speed but has great anticipation and is like a magnet on loose pucks without moving his feet all that much. Offensivly Immonen is a "high end" player, he is smart in the transition game but lacks break away speed and won´t score much on the rush. Immonen isn´t a flashy stickhandler but has really soft hands and can thread passes through traffic and has very good vision. Immonen is a classic playmaker, he postion himself to set up others and he does it really well. He doesn´t hesitate to get into traffic after he has made a opening pass.

JYP isn´t the best hockey team and Immonen takes allot of responsibilitys. His linemates Jakko Uhlbäck and Antti Virtanen are speedy and can put the puck in the net but not much more. Immonen plays a simular role on that line like Holik played when he was paired with Rucinsky and Kovalev. Its gooing to be really interesting to see what Immonen can do with better linemates on a smaller ice surface which will fit him really well. I have a couple of questionmarks when it comes to Immonen, like how well will he handle the transition game in the NHL? How will he be able to handle bigger opponents?

Its hard to project how good Immonen will be once he moves to North America. The way I see it if he handles the transition well and find the right chemistry with the right line mates he could become a 1st/2nd line center but he could also turn out to be a really good checking/3rd line center.

Old
11-01-2004, 11:51 AM
nyr7andcounting

Yea I am also really excited about him. It seems like he's the complete package as far as a hockey player. The fact that he sets up a lot more goals than he can score isn't necessarily a negative, it just tells you that if he plays with wingers who can score they can do well.

I also remember from all the scouting reports I read in March that he is above average as far as defensive play and he is a very very good faceoff man. If those 2 are accurate, Immonen sounds like the perfect 3rd line center.

Old
11-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Levitate

i think he has the best track on 2nd line center than anyone else in the organization at the moment...put with a winger like balej and another guy (lundmark?) with some speed and hands and it would be a good combo...might be a little light though

Old
11-01-2004, 12:29 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i think he has the best track on 2nd line center than anyone else in the organization at the moment...put with a winger like balej and another guy (lundmark?) with some speed and hands and it would be a good combo...might be a little light though
He's listed as 93 kg (204 lbs), which is more than he was drafted at, so in terms of pure weight, he should be ok.

Old
11-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Jyssy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
JYP isn´t the best hockey team and Immonen takes allot of responsibilitys. His linemates Jakko Uhlbäck and Antti Virtanen are speedy and can put the puck in the net but not much more.
Virtanen is the best stick-handler i have ever seen live and arguably the best stick-handler in SM-liiga. He is also great skater. Immonen could not have a better winger in same line than Virtanen.

Old
11-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Virtanen is the best stick-handler i have ever seen live and arguably the best stick-handler in SM-liiga. He is also great skater. Immonen could not have a better winger in same line than Virtanen.
that's kind of why i'm thinking balej would be a good fit for immonen's right side...since i know nothing about virtanen i don't know how the two would compare realistically...but a good skater with great stickhandling skills and who can score...sounds like a good fit to me.

and yeah immonen isn't small but if you have an average sized center with two average sized wings...it's not horrible but i'd worry a little about them all getting pushed around

Old
11-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Thanks for the scouting report.

Closed Thread