HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Tongue problem

Old
02-29-2012, 09:53 PM
ConoR187

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
Tongue problem

The tongue on my left skate rotates left when I tighten them and the tongue on my right skate rotates right when I tighten them... This is really annoying especially because I have my shin guards over the tongue so the shin guard rotates also.. its been like this from the box so how do i fix this?

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:02 PM
7toZulu

Happens to me too, I've never worried about the slight rotation of my tongues or shin guards though. Does it bother you as far as comfort goes, or is it just an OCD thing?

7toZulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-29-2012, 10:04 PM
ConoR187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcarcagno View Post
Happens to me too, I've never worried about the slight rotation of my tongues or shin guards though. Does it bother you as far as comfort goes, or is it just an OCD thing?
if i tighten my shin guards tight enough they rotate enough so that the knee cap part of the shin guard rubs against my knee so both i guess

Old
03-01-2012, 08:42 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

i put my shin guards over the toungue and tape once around.

secures it quite nicely

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 10:48 AM
AIREAYE

It sounds like your shins aren't secure enough, they shouldn't be rotating with your tongues...

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 11:29 AM
hockeymass

I'm kind of confused. Are you tightening your skates AFTER you put your shins on?

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
ConoR187

ok ignore the shin guard thing i might have fixed it, how can i fix the tongue tho?

Old
03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
ok ignore the shin guard thing i might have fixed it, how can i fix the tongue tho?
Tighten your skates, then adjust the tongue to your liking.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 07:05 PM
vexXed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
The tongue on my left skate rotates left when I tighten them and the tongue on my right skate rotates right when I tighten them... This is really annoying especially because I have my shin guards over the tongue so the shin guard rotates also.. its been like this from the box so how do i fix this?
I have the same problem and I have been trying to find a fix for ages. I started getting lace bite because by the end of games much of my ankle would be exposed to the thinner part of the tongue due to the tongue shifting too far. Some sites suggested using velcro strips - 1 on the underside of the eyelets of the inner part of the boot and the other one on the tongue. I thought the strips would just break or come off over time so not really a good fix.

Some also suggest threading your laces through a 'loop' stitched vertically to your tongue which is found on most shoes but that is totally useless and the tongue still shifts around. I have no idea how anyone thought this would stop tongue shifting as it just doesn't make any sense. It has never worked on any pair of shoes I've worn.

Another site has an interesting fix that I wanted to try before -

http://www.harlick.com/order/faq.php#twist

I ended up not trying it as I did not want to mess up my skates. Also, I thought that the pressure from tying skates tight would eventually rip a combined hole from the two smaller holes which would suck.

One idea I had was to put 1 small hole in the tongue closer to your inner ankle and then you could use a small short lace or bit of string to go through that and through an eyelet. Tie a shoelace knot and that should stop the shifting but the hole would need to be aligned perfectly. It would be best to mark the tongue hole while wearing the skate to give the best placement.

In the end, I just use this method - after tying my skates I center my tongues and use sock tape to go around the front of the tongue and the back of the skate at an angle. If the skate is facing --> then the tape is angled like / but not as exaggerated, more like 45 degrees. This is so I don't put unnecessary forward pressure on the tendon guard when my foot flexes forward. You don't need to tape it so tight as the tape will just break otherwise. Just tight enough so that the tongue will not slip or move around as you skate. Kind of annoying as you use up more tape overall but it does work.

vexXed is offline   Reply With Quote