HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Darren Dietz

Old
02-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Drunk World Order

vCash: 500
Darren Dietz

Hello Folks,

Just wondering why this kid is rated so low as a prospect?

He's having a solid year in the WHL with Saskatoon

Games 60 Goals 14 Assist 22 Points 36 +8 PIM 103

He recently scored 4 goals in a game which ties a record I believe?

He's on pace to nearly double his point total from last season.

He's had 7 Fights and can handle himself pretty well and has good size at 6'1 195 and will fill out a bit more.

I was talking to a few folks of WHL chat site and one fan said he's maybe one of the most underrated players in the WHL... Can anyone who has seen a little bit more of him then I have give some feedback? ...IMO he seems like a solid prospect and deserves a little more recognition.

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:17 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Who is underrating dietz? A lot of us love the pick.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
He may be underrated by some supposed "experts", but most of us here on HF loved the pick when it was made.

Old
02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Drunk World Order

From what I've seen he has been rated 6.5 C on the Futures team page...and did even crack our top 18 prospects which is very suspect? ...I would like to hear from some people who have seen him?

I also think he is a good prospect and believe we have a excellent core of D prospects!

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

I heard he was overplaying Duncan Siemens. If he's still kinda unknown (it hasn't been a year since he was drafted), it's not gonna be long before Timmins is praised for yet another late round steal.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Prairie Habs

I live in Saskatoon and watch the Blades every now and then and I was very pleased with this pick.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 152
I liked this pick as soon as I heard his name.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
I liked this pick as soon as I heard his name.
The first time I heard his name, I heard Darren Tietz!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order View Post
From what I've seen he has been rated 6.5 C on the Futures team page...and did even crack our top 18 prospects which is very suspect? ...I would like to hear from some people who have seen him?

I also think he is a good prospect and believe we have a excellent core of D prospects!
I dont think they have been updated recently.

I expect some changes including big moves for Dietz and Ellis.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Iwishihadacup

and he's still the youngest of our prospects, he was really close of being drafted this summer

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:22 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I knocked this pick bad.

Egg on my face so far.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I knocked this pick bad.

Egg on my face so far.
You're not alone, but yeah... some of us who were pleasantly intrigued by this pick got blasted with a looooot of doubt when this discussion came around.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Tusk

After every draft I pick a late round, pet-pick after to follow closely, he was mine this year and it's been fun following him.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:07 PM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
and he's still the youngest of our prospects, he was really close of being drafted this summer
This can't be forgotten. I think he might have actually been the youngest prospect in the draft.

I loved the pick then and I love it even more now. That's looking like back to back 5th round steal , we need to get a 5th, make it three in a row.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:13 PM
MXD

Caught a game or two of Dietz while wanting to take a look at this teammate, Dalton Thrower.

Great pick for the 5th round, and incidentally, I'd like the Habs to draft Thrower at some point, though that will have to be with a 3rd rounder at the very worst.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Many people have the conception that any player after the 3rd round isnt a potential NHLer. Well, in modern day hockey, young hockey players are developed very well. Thus, although their not in the top 90 in the world, they are still excellent talents. Athletes blossom at different times. Some at 18, some at 19, some even at 26. Its really hard to tell how good a young player will be until he is 20 really. Even then it could all change. A lot has to do with hype. Scouts hear, "there is this player on Saskatoon named Duncan Siemans and hes got real potential." Within that hype many players, such as Dietz, can get lost in the shuffle. I must say that the Habs western scouts have greatly improved over the last 4 years.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:40 PM
Mrb1p

I liked the pick, I still like it. People still don't know him alot since it's a 5th round and he just got drafted.. Great pick up. I expect good thing's of him. (Doesn't mean he's gonna come in the NHL at 20 tho..)

Just like i expect Avtsin and Trunev to explose some day .....

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:06 AM
OneSharpMarble

Would be nice to hear about him instead of a bunch of people furiously trying to pat themselves on the back.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:33 AM
Bacchus1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Would be nice to hear about him instead of a bunch of people furiously trying to pat themselves on the back.
Well said, would love to hear more about the prospect, too. So far only OP has had any valuable 411.

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:44 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise from the Ashes View Post
Many people have the conception that any player after the 3rd round isnt a potential NHLer. Well, in modern day hockey, young hockey players are developed very well. Thus, although their not in the top 90 in the world, they are still excellent talents. Athletes blossom at different times. Some at 18, some at 19, some even at 26. Its really hard to tell how good a young player will be until he is 20 really. Even then it could all change. A lot has to do with hype. Scouts hear, "there is this player on Saskatoon named Duncan Siemans and hes got real potential." Within that hype many players, such as Dietz, can get lost in the shuffle. I must say that the Habs western scouts have greatly improved over the last 4 years.
After a player is drafted it's up to both the player and the team to make sure he develops properly. If he's mismanaged, misused, then he could end up as a nobody. If the team takes care of him properly then he could end up as an NHLer.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

The US NHL Network is showing Dietz on Saturday morning, a replay of Friday nights game.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Well, if this thread isn't helping you, I dunno, you and Bacchus there could always try using the internets in new, different, and exciting ways to find what you want. I think you'd be surprised how much more information google will provide compared to this thread.

But on a discussion board, don't be surprised if cases like this prompt discussion/mention about just how foolish people look when they come up with strong opinions based on little to no information (or in other cases, poor/mis-information). It's less about being right, and more about how funny it is when ignorance (not in an evil or malicious way, but due to lack of knowledge/exposure) has light cast on it.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
After a player is drafted it's up to both the player and the team to make sure he develops properly. If he's mismanaged, misused, then he could end up as a nobody. If the team takes care of him properly then he could end up as an NHLer.
Thats a given. Detroit is a great example of how players should develop. They leave them in the AHL at least 2 years.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:35 PM
HCH

Quote:
Personally I think he is still really, really raw. And despite what others might say I think his skating needs to improve. If I was the Habs management I would try to have someone work with him on his skating. You can never be too good in that department.

He also needs to improve his defensive awareness. In the game I saw, forwards tended to sneak in behind him for stretch passes every now and then. He is a big frame but didn't seem to be particularly adept at moving men from in front of the net or taking the body along the boards. These things can be learned and he has lots of time but I think a lot of people are getting ahead of themselves because of the stats.

There are lots of positives too. He seems to have good hockey sense and anticipates offensive opportunities well. He also has good hands around the net and good size. I didn't see him fight but based on what others have said he can handle himself in that department.

Just my two cents.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order View Post

HF's rankings are a joke, always have been, don't read too much into them.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote