HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Darren Dietz

Old
02-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
HF's rankings are a joke, always have been, don't read too much into them.
I wouldn't say they're a "joke". They're pretty good at getting the vast majority of players into the "right" ranges. The parts that shouldn't be read too much into are things like:

a) Why is so-and-so a 6.5C, and this-other-guy a 6.5B?
or
b) Why is 6.5C so-and-so ranked higher than 7.0D this-other-guy?

If the order is more important to someone, then any list like this that applies a "formula" universally for everyone is going to fail on some level for someone. If you want to get an idea of who's of roughly the same calibre/"worth", these rankings are actually pretty - good beyond the level of nit-picky specifics, that is.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:47 PM
Miller Time

far too soon to have any idea if or what kind of NHLer Dietz will become, but I think it goes without saying that having a 5th round pick take big strides following his draft year is a very positive thing.

back-to-back years that we get very positive early development from our 5th rounders (gallagher in 2010), and arguably 3 straight years with a solid prospect coming out of the 5th round (Dumont in '09).

Timmins is very good at his job, hands-down the best "asset" in our management team, really hope that if we see a change of leadership this summer, he remains with the organization.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:48 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I wouldn't say they're a "joke". They're pretty good at getting the vast majority of players into the "right" ranges. The parts that shouldn't be read too much into are things like:

a) Why is so-and-so a 6.5C, and this-other-guy a 6.5B?
or
b) Why is 6.5C so-and-so ranked higher than 7.0D this-other-guy?

If the order is more important to someone, then any list like this that applies a "formula" universally for everyone is going to fail on some level for someone. If you want to get an idea of who's of roughly the same calibre/"worth", these rankings are actually pretty - good beyond the level of nit-picky specifics, that is.
Since I have been here, they have been a joke. Besides the obvious studs, they rarely get it right. Kristo ahead of Gallagher? Really?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Drunk World Order

Thanks for the feedback folks...looking for a little more detail? What are his strengths? Skating, Vision, Physical Play, Shot? ...I heard someone describe his as raw? ...also I seen that the Blades had used his as a forward a few times? depending on how you read that it could be a good thing or a concern? ...or are they trying to give him extra minutes? We have seen over the years in montreal with them putting D on the fourth line due to questionable D or them being a liability...There are a few people who have seen him play in here can you give some insight please.

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:49 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Since I have been here, they have been a joke. Besides the obvious studs, they rarely get it right. Kristo ahead of Gallagher? Really?
I don't see why having Kristo over Gallagher would be that shocking, they are on the same level imo. My last ranking I had Gallagher at 3 and Kristo at 4.

Not that I don't agree on HF articles in general, personally I think HF overall has really gone downhill with their articles.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
You actually mean they rarely weigh all the criteria the way you would, or focus on/emphasize the same key areas, right?

And fwiw, Kristo and Gallagher are ranked as exactly the same level of talent/role projection (7.5). Kristo is "ahead" because they think he's more likely to reach that peak potential than Gallagher - or at least they did whenever the rankings were last updated (in both Gallagher's and Kristo's cases, Oct. 12th). Feel free to tell everyone HF got it wrong, but until Gallagher is playing against men (or at least guys older than 20), I personally am not going to go out on that limb.

Kristo has increased his goal scoring, and gotten up over 1 PPG carrying a team that has been missing fellow draft picks Rocco Grimaldi and Derek Rodwell for extended chunks of the year. I'm not counting him out at all, and wouldn't even be surprised if he plays a regular season game for the Habs before Gallagher does. Not putting money on it, but wouldn't be surprised.

Besides, I submit that they've more consistently/accurately ranked thousands of prospects against each other than you've probably ever been able to achieve with a list of 30, and finding a few "discrepancies" that you don't necessarily agree with isn't going to change that.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I don't see why having Kristo over Gallagher would be that shocking, they are on the same level imo. My last ranking I had Gallagher at 3 and Kristo at 4.

Not that I don't agree on HF articles in general, personally I think HF overall has really gone downhill with their articles.
It's hard for me to take the rankings seriously when they still have Desharnais and White on the prospect depth chart.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:45 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
It's hard for me to take the rankings seriously when they still have Desharnais and White on the prospect depth chart.
Again, all you've done is point out where their approach/criteria differs from yours; NOT where they went wrong. They are incredibly consistent when it comes to whether or not players are still listed as prospect, fully outline their criteria, and still mention that case by case exceptions exist.

For your education: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect/