HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why LA Should Get Carter, Not Nash

Old
02-21-2012, 09:33 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

vCash: 500
Why LA Should Get Carter, Not Nash

Why LA Kings Should Trade for Jeff Carter, Not Rick Nash - MayorsManor.com

Quote:
Yet, there's one more reason why Carter makes more sense than Nash. Remember, to get the Blue Jackets' captain, the Kings will most likely have to move Johnson AND Bernier. A deal for Carter wouldn't have to include Johnson.

Theoretically, this leaves him available to move in a deal to the Flyers for James van Riemsdyk - a 22-year old goal scoring left wing, something the Kings desperately need.

The article basically says in order to pry Nash from Columbus, it would require a package somewhere in the ballpark of Jack Johnson, Bernier, and possibly Brown and/or prospects/picks.

Rather than give up Bernier and Johnson in one deal for the "superstar" winger in Nash, who may fail to live up to expectations and clog up your cap a little more, it's better to trade them in separate deals and get two very good wingers albeit not "elite" players by trading Bernier in a deal for Carter and Johnson in a deal for JVR.

So the question is, assuming both deals are on the table:

Would you rather see DL go "all in" for the one superstar forward by packaging his best assets together to get Rick Nash?

Or, would you rather see him deal off his best assets in separate deals, adding two good to very good scoring wingers in Carter (assumption is he'd play wing like he has in Philly) and Van Riemsdyk, making the top 6 a more well-rounded group as a whole?

Nash alone would take up $7.8 million in cap space next year, while Carter and JVR combined would take up about $9.52 million in cap space.

As much as I'd love to see Rick Nash here, I'm leaning towards option #2, Carter and JVR. I think we currently need two top 6 wingers to really fix these problems on offense. A top 6 of Kopitar, Richards, Carter, JVR, Brown, and Williams would be a more well-balanced group. Adding Nash would really help out the first line, but would still leave the second line lagging a bit.

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Shellz

Carter sucks at wingg. So, not really.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 09:46 PM
drbob

No Carter for me, but:

I'd like JVR and Ruutu (if he can pass the physical by Monday, doubtful it seems),

but I'd like to see us get two Left Wingers, no right wingers or centers, and we shouldn't give away too much,

keep Brown for sure...

drbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:22 PM
MxK1NGS

Getting Carter AND JVR.
Philadelphia Kings or Los Angeles Flyers?

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:37 PM
kingscourt26

Apparently Richards and Carter were trouble together.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:44 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscourt26 View Post
Apparently Richards and Carter were trouble together.
They also almost brought a cup home.... They won their last game of the season which put them in. I suspect the Kings will be in a similar situation.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:47 PM
gonnaneedsomewine

I would think bringing in Carter and JVR could solve the issues at LW. Carter has played RW in the past, but I think he'd actually be better suited to play his off-wing (LW).

With the sniper shot that he has, he can come into the zone and pull up at the top of the circles and cut to the middle and let a rocket go on his forehand. Or he could drive wide with his speed/size combo and be on his forehand when he gets around the defenseman and cuts in to roof it on the goalie.

If you have Carter and JVR at LW on lines one and two, it would make Brown and Williams complementary pieces on lines one and two, which is more what they're suited to be anyway.

You could be looking at something like:

JVR - Kopitar - Williams
Carter - Richards - Brown

gonnaneedsomewine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:52 PM
tomd

Carter ain't gonna come nearly as cheap as many of you think/hope...

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:57 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
Carter ain't gonna come nearly as cheap as many of you think/hope...
A ten year contract on a guy with a negative rep says otherwise.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:15 AM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
A ten year contract on a guy with a negative rep says otherwise.
You must not be one of the myriad of Kings fans who talk about how great his cap hit is compared to Nash. And if he has a negative rep then why does ANYONE want him?

The fact is that there are very few 30 goal scorers available this year and any team that wants him is going to have to pony up. The bidding war will only escalate if Nash to SJ happens.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:52 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Carter with the Hat-trick tonight... kid is TROUBLE!!!

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Carter with the Hat-trick tonight... kid is TROUBLE!!!
At Center.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Carter sucks at wingg. So, not really.
Yeah. Just terrible. Lol

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
They also almost brought a cup home.... They won their last game of the season which put them in. I suspect the Kings will be in a similar situation.
Carter didn't do much to get them there. Just along for the ride.

Seventyx7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:13 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd View Post
You must not be one of the myriad of Kings fans who talk about how great his cap hit is compared to Nash. And if he has a negative rep then why does ANYONE want him?

The fact is that there are very few 30 goal scorers available this year and any team that wants him is going to have to pony up. The bidding war will only escalate if Nash to SJ happens.
The cap hit is good, but the length isn't. There's a difference.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:21 AM
Scottkmlps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash View Post
At Center.
Then play Richards at left wing and Carter center. But, I would still rather have Nash, despite the $7.8 mill. cap hit, as he is a natural winger.
With Gagne skating that's also a good sign that he will return at some point before the end of the season. So in reality, the Kings would be getting 2 top 6 natural wingers, and only giving up something for one. If the Kings were to get Nash and get Gagne back, that would solidify the top 6, and keep Nolan and King for the 3rd & 4th lines and move the wasted crap (Richardson & Penner), by waiving them or dealing them for futures (nothing).

Gagne/Kopitar/Williams
Nash/Richards/Brown
Clifford/Loktionov/Nolan
King/Fraser/Lewis

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:43 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

The Carter contract is overrated. He'll be 36 entering the final yr of his contract. And even if he starts declining at 34-35, stuff him in the minors at a salary which may not even seem that high in 10 years.

Options: Nash or Carter/JJ. Seems like there's more value in the latter.

Nash is the better individual player. But this Kings team has good talent and a tweak can jumpstart the offense. And a 40 goal scorer (Carter) is more than just a tweak.

Last edited by I Am Ziggy Palffy: 02-22-2012 at 02:50 AM.
I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:00 AM
johnjm22

Get both. Problem solved.

Nash-Kopitar-Brown
Gagne-Carter-Williams
King-Richards-Nolan
Clifford-Fraser-Lewis
Westgarth

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:25 AM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsation8 View Post
The final game was a 2-1 win in a shootout, the heroes were Boucher, Carle, Briere, and Giroux. Richards was scoreless and missed his shootout shot, Carter to his credit did have an assist on Carle's goal but was a -1 for the game as they let Jody Shelley score.

As far as the cup goes, Carter was hurt and only played 12 games. Ether way he lost his job to Giroux and had his ice time slashed when he played, the next season he would see it slashed to 15:15 per game. Carter has never been a playoff factor with only 21 career points in 47 games. Richards was a legit factor but didn't carry the Flyers. Had the Flyers won the popular Conn Smythe ranks had them going 1. Pronger (scoring all over and shutting down everyone, over 30 minutes a game), 2. Giroux (Incredibly clutch), 3. Briere (led the team in goals and broke a franchise record for scoring), 4. Leino (Over a point per game before anyone knew who he was), 5. Richards. Richards was really a superstar for the 1st 2 series but fell off production wise in the Montreal series and was just terrible in the Cup Finals against the Hawks.

Maybe Carter would work out for the Kings but as far as History goes Carter had nothing to do with the Flyers playoff success and Richards was a key player but not one of the top players. It would kind of be like replicating the 01 Avs Cup winning team by getting Drury and Tanguay. Key parts but there were so many other big pieces to that puzzle.

Tim Tebow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Get both. Problem solved.

Nash-Kopitar-Brown
Gagne-Carter-Williams
King-Richards-Nolan
Clifford-Fraser-Lewis
Westgarth
If you get both, say goodbye to Kopitar and Brown.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:53 AM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

I like the idea of getting Carter and JVR more than just Nash. But only if we can get both, if we can only get one I'll take Nash or maybe JVR if he comes decently cheaper.

Last edited by Docgonzo: 02-22-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
The final game was a 2-1 win in a shootout, the heroes were Boucher, Carle, Briere, and Giroux. Richards was scoreless and missed his shootout shot, Carter to his credit did have an assist on Carle's goal but was a -1 for the game as they let Jody Shelley score.

As far as the cup goes, Carter was hurt and only played 12 games. Ether way he lost his job to Giroux and had his ice time slashed when he played, the next season he would see it slashed to 15:15 per game. Carter has never been a playoff factor with only 21 career points in 47 games. Richards was a legit factor but didn't carry the Flyers. Had the Flyers won the popular Conn Smythe ranks had them going 1. Pronger (scoring all over and shutting down everyone, over 30 minutes a game), 2. Giroux (Incredibly clutch), 3. Briere (led the team in goals and broke a franchise record for scoring), 4. Leino (Over a point per game before anyone knew who he was), 5. Richards. Richards was really a superstar for the 1st 2 series but fell off production wise in the Montreal series and was just terrible in the Cup Finals against the Hawks.

Maybe Carter would work out for the Kings but as far as History goes Carter had nothing to do with the Flyers playoff success and Richards was a key player but not one of the top players. It would kind of be like replicating the 01 Avs Cup winning team by getting Drury and Tanguay. Key parts but there were so many other big pieces to that puzzle.
I've hashed all this over before in another thread with what the facts were as far as Richards' value in the 2010 play-offs so I won't repeat it again except that, had the Flyers won the cup the Conn Smyth would have went to Richards or Briere; Leino was never in the equation. Lastly, except for Richards efforts in the Boston come-back the rest would have been moot which, in itself may have been worthy for the Smyth. The eventual winner (Toews) also didn't show well in the finals but was thought of enough to actually win the thing. In any case, Carter is not as good a fit as Nash- he's a center and neither he nor Richards plays as well on the wing.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatter View Post
Yeah. Just terrible. Lol
I guess you haven't seen him play wing.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Edit: double post

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
If you get both, say goodbye to Kopitar and Brown.
OK, bye.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote