HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Why do so many people think Johnson is a good defenceman?

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2012, 03:55 AM
hockeyontarioeast

vCash: 500

A lot of people on here seem to defend Johnson and think he's a good defenceman when people bring up how bad he is defensively and how bad is +- is every year. I know +- doesn't always mean much, but when you have had the WORST +- ON YOUR ENTIRE TEAM 4 YEARS IN A ROW, and were a -21 last year when the next closest dman was a -1, and were a -15 the year before when the next closest dman was a -4, then it clearly isn't just a coincidence. In this case, Johnson's +- is clearly an accurate indicator of how bad he is defensively. For all you people who thought he was so noble for negotiating a "fair" contract, 4 mil a year for a dman who puts up 40 points and is horrible in his own end is actually a robbery by Johnson.

Old
02-24-2012, 04:17 AM
drugold
drunk, goals&swagger

He is a big game player
Great on the PP
Hits hard
Great Skater/ Puck Handler
Loves Hockey
We have just been waiting for him to take the final step. If he does he will be the Complete defenseman. If not... .

Old
02-24-2012, 04:22 AM
Filppula
Jurks

I've seen a lot of JJ, obviously not as much as you guys, but to me his biggest issue is his poor defensive awareness. I think you won out in the trade for sure. JJ is overrated.

Old
02-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:

Why are there some individuals who believe the Earth is flat?

Old
02-24-2012, 06:40 AM
topliner967

-12 this year (so far) from -21 last year, that's a decent improvement. It's really no secret his weakest part of the game is the defence. But if you watched games this season you can see improvements from earlier years - and that's the important thing.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:01 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Check his playoff stats.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:58 AM
damacles1156

I love the Energy Jack played with, Jack was an awesome skating Defensive player.

But I will not miss his stupid head fakes; Shots that don't come close to hitting the net(Drew you too), Defensive missed assignments. His hesitant play on the PP.

I like Jack's attitude and Athletic ability. I did not like him as a Defensive player.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:11 AM
fyrescorp

"yes, Jack Johnson was average, I did not see the need to trample on a man's grave" Lt. Kendrick "A Few Good Men"

Old
02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
TopT

Quote:
Originally Posted by topliner967 View Post
-12 this year (so far) from -21 last year, that's a decent improvement. It's really no secret his weakest part of the game is the defence. But if you watched games this season you can see improvements from earlier years - and that's the important thing.
the season isnt over yet.

I do think we won this trade

Old
02-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
I love the Energy Jack played with, Jack was an awesome skating Defensive player.

But I will not miss his stupid head fakes; Shots that don't come close to hitting the net(Drew you too), Defensive missed assignments. His hesitant play on the PP.

I like Jack's attitude and Athletic ability. I did not like him as a Defensive player.
Ha ha ha. Wait til you get a load of Jeff Carter.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:59 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugold View Post
He is a big game player
Great on the PP
Hits hard
Great Skater/ Puck Handler
Loves Hockey
We have just been waiting for him to take the final step. If he does he will be the Complete defenseman. If not... .
agree with this. JJ had all the tools, but no toolbox. In terms of raw skill, this guy is more skilled then Doughty. If he wasn't so damn stupid, he would be far better than Doughty. How many players can you say that to? But at one point, you got to stop looking at what they can become and accept them for who they are. Where JJ was on that is up to debate.

This is coming from a JJ-detractor

Old
02-24-2012, 10:05 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

Fantasy league stats dictating how "good" a player is. My favorite type of post, and a drive-by no less.

In any case, one Johnson thread (actually two) is enough. He's no longer a King, after all.

Closed Thread