HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst Season in team History?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-21-2012, 10:42 PM
  #1
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Worst Season in team History?

Montreal is actually a bottom 5 teams......

Anyone remember the last time we was that unsuccessful? As far as i look into past history (1990) we wasn't that bad. Even the Rejean Houle/Tremblay years wasnt that bad.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:47 PM
  #2
LeHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 7,970
vCash: 500
"Worst season" for me is when we finish 9th.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:51 PM
  #3
bentheprop
Registered User
 
bentheprop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: St Catharines, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Didn't the Houle/Tremblay period overlap with some of the league expansion so that it was almost impossible to finish last as an established team?

bentheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:52 PM
  #4
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,919
vCash: 500
Sometimes you gotta take one step back to take two steps forward. In a way, this season is a 'failure' and saying anything else is ridiculous. However, the consolation prize is a cornerstone prospect to go with the likes of subban, pacioretty, price, eller, desharnais, etc...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Montreal will come out better for this.

Statistically probably worst season in a long time.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:53 PM
  #5
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
ok, after some research....

in 1939-1940 we was the lasts team of the league ranking out of 7 teams.

So this season is definitely not the worst in this team history.....

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
  #6
axman88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
we was never that unsuccessful!

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
  #7
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 16,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
ok, after some research....

in 1939-1940 we was the lasts team of the league ranking out of 7 teams.

So this season is definitely not the worst in this team history.....
/thread

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:11 PM
  #8
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 500
worst team since 39-40?

reopen (\) thread

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:14 PM
  #9
palindrom
Registered User
 
palindrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
worst team since 39-40?

reopen (\) thread
Well, if i have more time tonight i will take a look into this.

we finished second last twice between 1940-1950

But is second last out of 7 teams worst than bottom five out of 30 team?

Maybe we can wait until the end of the season to have the exact number.

palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:29 PM
  #10
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Sometimes you gotta take one step back to take two steps forward. In a way, this season is a 'failure' and saying anything else is ridiculous. However, the consolation prize is a cornerstone prospect to go with the likes of subban, pacioretty, price, eller, desharnais, etc...

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Montreal will come out better for this.

Statistically probably worst season in a long time.
Easily the most embarrassing song on my ipod.

I rather we be this bad and miss the playoffs than miss it like we did in 2006/2007. We have a draft to look forward to and a good one can make this team a real contender.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:31 PM
  #11
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Just to add, I think we are the worst team in the NHL at home.. What a shame..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:37 PM
  #12
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,007
vCash: 500
Horrific year. But could be a chance for a quick retool akin to Flyers picking JVR, then signing Briere and trading for Hartnell and Timonen.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:39 PM
  #13
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Horrific year. But could be a chance for a quick retool akin to Flyers picking JVR, then signing Briere and trading for Hartnell and Timonen.
I am not sure this is the worst season in history, I remember the sobering years in the early 80's....after a string of stanley cups, the team got old but the expectations where still there......how it was heart breaking to see Guy Lafleur not being able to do it anymore....

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:42 PM
  #14
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Montreal is actually a bottom 5 teams......

Anyone remember the last time we was that unsuccessful? As far as i look into past history (1990) we wasn't that bad. Even the Rejean Houle/Tremblay years wasnt that bad.
Well, in the original six, unless you were first, you were a bottom five team!

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:44 PM
  #15
Sargent Pepper*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: St Pierre and Miquelon
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentheprop View Post
Didn't the Houle/Tremblay period overlap with some of the league expansion so that it was almost impossible to finish last as an established team?
Those were horrific years as well......we did not finish last but we weren't support to finish as low as we did....and the spirit of the team was crushed.....bad period indeed...

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:00 AM
  #16
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,802
vCash: 500
I don't know if it's the worst season in Habs history, but it's the worst season I've watched so far in my life and I hope it will be the last one.

Price My Man Crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:55 AM
  #17
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Well, if i have more time tonight i will take a look into this.

we finished second last twice between 1940-1950

But is second last out of 7 teams worst than bottom five out of 30 team?

Maybe we can wait until the end of the season to have the exact number.
Ratio is same, bottom 15%. More teams in the league however probably means we are relativity much worse than the top 15% than when the league had 7 teams. MathMan perhaps can clarify.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:58 AM
  #18
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
I am not sure this is the worst season in history, I remember the sobering years in the early 80's....after a string of stanley cups, the team got old but the expectations where still there......how it was heart breaking to see Guy Lafleur not being able to do it anymore....
Yeah I remember it well. We were not bad at all, just average. It was really hard to make that transition as a Habs fan who was 7-17 years old in the seventies! I remember losing a 5 game series to Edmonton in 80 or 81, and thinking what the ****? This is not real right?

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:00 AM
  #19
bsl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Well, in the original six, unless you were first, you were a bottom five team!
That was actually quite funny Pepper.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:02 AM
  #20
Habs Junkie
Registered User
 
Habs Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,149
vCash: 500
I think it's our 5th time this year being shut out at home..that's gotta be some kind of record!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:16 AM
  #21
ssh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I don't know if it's the worst season in Habs history, but it's the worst season I've watched so far in my life and I hope it will be the last one.
What? You're hoping that you'll stop watching hockey or that Habs fold or relocate?

ssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:33 AM
  #22
ssh
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Yeah I remember it well. We were not bad at all, just average. It was really hard to make that transition as a Habs fan who was 7-17 years old in the seventies! I remember losing a 5 game series to Edmonton in 80 or 81, and thinking what the ****? This is not real right?
I'd gladly take the early 80's "averageness" any day. The Habs were still one of the top teams in the league, usually in the top 5 in the regular season.

Of course you have to put things into perspective. Markov has been gone the whole season. Gomez, Cammalleri and Gionta have been injured and played very poorly. That's over a third of the whole cap hit with very little to show for. The rest of the team has performed reasonably well.

ssh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:48 AM
  #23
OpenIceHit
Registered User
 
OpenIceHit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Back in the days when Habs didn't have a great season, people were saying about the team :"They almost didn't win the cup this year"...

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:17 AM
  #24
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,497
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Horrific year. But could be a chance for a quick retool akin to Flyers picking JVR, then signing Briere and trading for Hartnell and Timonen.
Except signing such free agents, and yes the first traded for Hartnell and Timonen but they were essentially free agent signings, is always difficult here in Montreal. Sure it would be great to have a few smart changes this summer and a high draft pick to help out the team, but I fear that it might not be as easy as that.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:25 AM
  #25
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Except signing such free agents, and yes the first traded for Hartnell and Timonen but they were essentially free agent signings, is always difficult here in Montreal. Sure it would be great to have a few smart changes this summer and a high draft pick to help out the team, but I fear that it might not be as easy as that.
5% of players have us as their #1 destination to play in, not too bad.

But it may seem weird but I'm actually a lot more excited about the team now than I was last year. Last year kind of seemed like a fluke that we got in as opposed to this year where it seems like a fluke that we won't make it. Pretty excited for next year though! Hopefully our draft pick works out!

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.