HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks @ Blue Jackets

Old
02-21-2012, 10:39 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by spurious View Post
I had this awful thought today. What if it's mid-March, his new return date, and they announce he's actually done for the regular season and playoffs?!

I would flip a **** and call for a re-build.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
I need some teal tinted thoughts.

Where is this team really?

Assume sheppard, Moore, havlat are all healthy and we stay top 10 in team defense but lose the division.

So we are anywhere from 6-8 in the standings...what are our chances?

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post

Assume sheppard, Moore, havlat are all healthy and we stay top 10 in team defense but lose the division.

If we finish 6th, we have a decent shot at upsetting LA or PHX, but we'd get creamed by DET or VAN.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Phoenix beats the Kings in a shootout. Pointswise, they are tied with San Jose for the Pacific lead, though officially the Sharks are still in first place.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post

With the same goal tending they have no chance. It has to dramatically improve

WantonAbandon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
we'll be fighting for the 8th spot at this rate ...

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
They let Nash and Carter walk all over them tonight. The effort by Wingels on that Nash goal was pathetic. He just stood there and watched him skate right into the slot and score.

As much as I'd like to Blame Niemi, the defense left him out to dry on the 2nd and 3rd goals. I thought he had the puck under his glove on the 1st one, can anyone confirm that?

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Trojan35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Im sorry, but blaming the refs for this debacle is stretching it a bit.

Lets be honest here. The Sharks are a complete mess right now. At this moment anyone who actually thinks the Sharks are serious playoff contenders are somkin some serious shizzle. The team chemestry isnt there, and adding players at the deadline probably wont fix things, but its a start. DW isnt stupid though, Logan, JT are golden. Others like Patty, Pavs etc. maybe not.
Guess I'm smoking shizzle... because I still believe the Sharks will fix their problems and be a contender. I also believe Chicago will fix their problems and be a contender. My list of contenders, somewhat in order:

Tier 1:
Detroit
St Louis

Tier 2:
Vancouver
Sj
Chicago

Tier 3:
Nashville
LAK

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:59 PM
PlaywithGutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonticus View Post
Ok serious question here...

Greiss let in as many goals as Nemo. My thoughts this whole roadie have been that neither goalkeeper has been given a quality defense. Can anyone really say Greiss has consistently played better than Nemo? Nemo has let in some soft goals lately but for a good number of them I really think he just hasn't had the defensive support he's been expecting.

I'll probably be called a Niemi apologist but oh well. I'm not saying he's a god, but at the same time i don't think he's horrible...
you are right on the money......this team has play terrible in front of both these guys...SJ couldnt win with a sheet of plywood in frnt of them..

and for Baldy to interview the goalie coach and try to insinuate that it is all Neemo, was a joke and he he looked silly....

this team needs a serious wake up call as time is running out and I wouldnt be surprised to hear of DW trying to package a top 4-5 to be shipped out..

Moore was/is to be a 3/4 guy for the PO's but is clear some guys, who shouldn't be, are passengers...still

PlaywithGutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:02 AM
Gilligans Island

Glad I missed watching this debacle.

So, TMac and Jumbo called out some players for not giving it their all. Who deserves it this time?

I see Jumbo called out Clowe for being undisciplined but TMac defended Clowe for watching others' back.

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:06 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Guess I'm smoking shizzle... because I still believe the Sharks will fix their problems and be a contender. I also believe Chicago will fix their problems and be a contender. My list of contenders, somewhat in order:

Tier 1:
Detroit
St Louis

Tier 2:
Vancouver
Sj
Chicago

Tier 3:
Nashville
LAK
As of right now Sharks should be moved to the bottom tier

Brent Burns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Two notable Sharks-related quotes in the Columbus Dispatch blog entry for the game:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

Quote:
Still, this was pretty far out there on the believability scale. The Sharks usually like them some Jackets. They won the three previous meetings this season. The last time they met, coming out of the All-Star break, they drummed the Jackets 6-0 in San Jose. Plus, the Sharks have something for which to play. They are clinging to first place in the Pacific Division.

“The goaltending, the back end, the forwards and the coaching staff all had bad nights,” Sharks coach Todd McLellan said. “The lack of urgency concerns me. I don’t know if all our guys know where we are right now. Suddenly, there are a lot of teams playing well right now.”
Quote:
Joe Thornton and Logan Couture scored in the sixth minute of the second period to get the Sharks to within 4-2, and the crowd got nervous, and so did the Jackets. Then came the turning point: At 7:37 of the period, Sharks power forward Ryane Clowe went off for cross checking Derek MacKenzie – and Clowe drew an extra two for slamming the door to the penalty box. That gave the Jackets a couple more power plays, and Savard cashed with the man advantage to put the Jackets back up by three. The rout was on.

“That was an extremely selfish thing on (Clowe’s) part, to take that double-minor,” Umberger said.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

waiving Niittymaki was the dumbest thing this franchise has done in the last 10 years

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:42 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
waiving Niittymaki was the dumbest thing this franchise has done in the last 10 years
Nope, why do people think Nitty would've made a difference?

wtfisthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:45 AM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Two notable Sharks-related quotes in the Columbus Dispatch blog entry for the game:

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...ers/index.html

Quote:
“That was an extremely selfish thing on (Clowe’s) part, to take that double-minor,” Umberger said.
That is hilarious, Umberger talkin smack!

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:05 AM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
Because Niemi has played like **** the last few weeks.

Thus, much of the fan base is in wreck

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:15 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSharks View Post
Because Niemi has played like **** the last few weeks.

Thus, much of the fan base is in wreck
Yea, Niemi is pissing me off with his dog **** play lately but I refuse to believe that Nittymaki would do much better. You know you are ****ed when you view Nittymaki as a savior.

wtfisthis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:04 AM
SoupyFIN
Lu ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by juantimer View Post
Question -- did anyone get a good replay of that first goal? Did Niemi really have it covered with his glove? They never played a good overhead replay on the Sharks feed.
CBJ feed showed it, Nemo had it covered. As I already said in the GDT, someone should have jumped RJ for doing that but no.. They just stood there like traffic cones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonticus View Post
Greiss let in as many goals as Nemo.
It's not the amount of goals, it's how they're scored. While Greiss has let in goals too, he atleast gives the team a chance to win. Nemo on the other hand has looked disinterested out there and the amount of softies.. Mother of god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Tier 3:
Nashville
LAK
You serious? We can't solve some 3rd string/bust G, and Nashville is a tier down to us? Rinne will eat us alive if we even make it to playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
I'm ready to give the guy a 2nd chance. Nemo has played like **** lately. And who knows, maybe Niitty hits a hot streak (For example, Smith played pretty well last year after being re-called by the Bolts).

SoupyFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:10 AM
param

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupyFIN View Post
I'm ready to give the guy a 2nd chance. Nemo has played like **** lately. And who knows, maybe Niitty hits a hot streak (For example, Smith played pretty well last year after being re-called by the Bolts).
Niitty is sitting at home eating popcorn, and laughing his ass off. With all that public drama, I doubt Niitty ever plays another game in teal.

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:12 AM
redfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
They let Nash and Carter walk all over them tonight. The effort by Wingels on that Nash goal was pathetic. He just stood there and watched him skate right into the slot and score.

As much as I'd like to Blame Niemi, the defense left him out to dry on the 2nd and 3rd goals. I thought he had the puck under his glove on the 1st one, can anyone confirm that?
Get your facts straight. Wingels was on the other side of the ice. The mistake was made by Desjardins who lost his check coming out of the corner.

redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:38 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Glad I missed watching this debacle.

So, TMac and Jumbo called out some players for not giving it their all. Who deserves it this time?

I see Jumbo called out Clowe for being undisciplined but TMac defended Clowe for watching others' back.
McLellan said the same thing about Clowe, just ended his comment by saying Clowe takes care of a lot of his teammates.

There are maybe 3 players who don't deseve to be called out after that game. I will never accuse Boyle of not giving 100%, Couture was mostly good, Pavs too.

They're an incredbily frustrated group right now, way more stuff is making it's way to the press than usual.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:48 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
They're an incredbily frustrated group right now, way more stuff is making it's way to the press than usual.
THIS is why you know something is wrong. When this starts happening you know the room is being split and you know there are issues stemming from what is going on. Im still one to blame the coaching staff because they have looked disorganized since day 1 this year.

one2gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:55 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
THIS is why you know something is wrong. When this starts happening you know the room is being split and you know there are issues stemming from what is going on. Im still one to blame the coaching staff because they have looked disorganized since day 1 this year.
I don't agree with that at all. People are always on Thornton for being too "nice", not caring and delivering the company line to the media , now that he's said something there's a split in the room?

People are really reading way too much into what's going on with this team. Yes, they're likely very frustrated with eachother - what team isn't when they're in this kind of slump?

You know what's been said the last couple of days (to the media) has already been said, likely more than once, behind closed doors, it's no surprise to me at all that their emotions are boiling over and these comments are being made to the media.

Really, if this kind of slump can 'split the room' this team was doomed long before the slump started.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:13 AM
TealTownUSA

jumbo should be calling everyone out including the goalies. we're supposed to come together as a team on roadtrips. when everyone is all buddy buddy, they slack off.

niemi should watch film of himself the last couple of years for the rest of the roadtrip.

TealTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Not sure what happens behind the scenes in the locker room.

- Did Jumbo talk to his teammates about the bad play already in private?
- Do the players not respond to Jumbo?
- Did Jumbo talk to the coaches about possible culprits/problems?
- Do the coaches not listen to Jumbo?

I am not a big advocate for calling specific people out in public but if all other avenues have been exhausted then there is really nothing else that can be done.

It just appears like there are some kind of leadership issues in our locker room. Either with Jumbo or the coaches. The problem with our team is not so much about lack of skill because we have a lot of skilled players. But they are either unhappy or not motivated or lazy or all of the above. We go from rolling over good/decent teams over short stretches and then completely sucking over the next stretch of games. Too much inconsistency.

Someone else said earlier that we have not had a good stretch of around 15+ games all year long. No way we win a cup unless we show that we can do that.