HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winds of change!! Oilers spank the Flames 6 to 1!

Old
02-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Wyrm

vCash: 500
Finally, we showed up against the lowly Flames! I'm sick of those efforts when we mail it in before the game has even started. This time though, the Flames didn't look interested much. The Battle of Alberta is not what it used to be.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerLord View Post
Is Hall now only 2 points back of Seguin in 7 less games?

I'm not suggesting Hall is better than Seguin, but I refuse to believe that Seguin is better than Hall.
Both talented players but even if seguin had 10 more points in same GP I'd still pick hall. He takes over games

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:12 AM
Oi'll say!

20 points and +10 for Gagner in his last 12 games. Luckily this isn't happening post-deadline on another team...

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:14 AM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Smid and Petry have more than established that they are part of the core going forward.

Hall, Eberle, RNH, Smid, Petry. Making very strong cases for themselves: Gagner, Paajarvi.

Just love seeing the team come together like this. Full 60 minute effort, and all 19 men played their part. If that's how we played every night, we'd be on the bubble right now.

What happens to the lineup when RNH comes back now? Slides into Horcoff's spot on line 2?

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Asher

Quote:

I'm not suggesting Hall is better than Seguin, but I refuse to believe that Seguin is better than Hall.
I like Seguin but Hall is a winner. That's why I wanted him at the draft. Like I said before, just wait and see if this team ever make the playoffs. That's when Hall will prove his worth.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
He's kind of like the new Todd Marchant though. You're screaming at him to shoot and he just can't help it... deke's and goes to his back hand.
he's a bit snake bitten on the break away, but come on. marchant? that is a pretty big insult. Hall has back-to-back 20 goal seasons and could get 30 (coulda got 30 last year, too). marchant was nothing more than a guy who could keep up to, and shadow, Kariya and Bure.

but i digress. great game

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:15 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Hahaha...it got edited!
Thats okay...it made me laugh out loud.

Good stuff.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
Quote:

I'll suggest he's better than Seguin. hall will wear an A for Team Canada some day (the C belongs to Cros and Toews).

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Jepprey
Creeper

There was this moment in the third period where the Oilers controlled with puck possession for a long time in the Flames zone. My dad goes "WTF? Are we watching the Red Wings? Why don't they do this every game damnit!" lol.

The system was strong tonight.. Strong cycle. Puck retrieval was actually done. Smid-Petry continue to shine. Even Belanger looked good out there. It's nice to see Eager add some jump on the reunited duo of MPS and Belanger. lol.

4th line was boss out there. Running at anything red. Petrell even bodychecked the Flames net. Finally a game where goals weren't coming from 1 line.

Really good game. Hate losing. Hate losing to the Flames. too many times we've watched what the Flames fans just watched in their team tonight. I'll take it.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 105
Man Petry has been looking real good these last few games. Hope he keeps it up and makes me eat more crow about needing to play down in OKC.

The only thing better than crushing the Flames is getting to read the delusion and bitterness by Flames fans on the main board. Huzzah!

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:17 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
That was a disgusting pass by Gagner to Smyth, just beautiful.

Don't see too many Gagner haters around here anymore.
Where was all the Gagner love the last couple of games?

Because they were nowhere to be seen in the PGT's that's for sure.

Way to pick your spots.

Hopefully Gagner can gain some consistency to his game, because we could some production when games actually mean something, instead of piling on points in blowouts in meaningless games.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Shanahanigans

Who is Number 58 and what has he done with Jeff Petry?
Seriously, I think most of us would have been thrilled at the beginning of the season if Petry could become a future top 4 Dman, and now he's playing like a top pairing one.
I really can't think of anyone who played bad tonight. Even Potter was Okay defensively.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I'd rather have Hall any day of the week than Seguin. Hall just creates so much, and can carry the team on his back. He has such a drive and desire to win, with an incredible work ethic. A friend of mine once told me 'Hall plays so hard, sometimes he forgets to think'. Which is true, but he'll grow out of it. Someone has to teach him a different breakaway move, though.

Great game!

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:21 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gagner is 30th among Centers in pts this year despite missing games and struggling coming back after injury.

RNH and Gagner is a nice 1,2 offensive punch to have. Kesler has 1 more pt than Gagner. Getlaf has one more with 8more GP. Brad Richards has 40 in 58GP.

Do people really not comprehend that 40pts in 52 GP is owning in the present day NHL?
For sure...its quite an accomplishment.

You and I are in a small group of posters that stayed in Sams corner through the rough spots the past 3 seasons.

I honestly don't understand the posters that continuously buried him. The kid is a player and he is going to get better.
Much better.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:22 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
If Hallsy could find some scoring touch on breakaways he'd be close to 30 goals right now.
This should be obvious to him by now...stop trying to deke.

Just shoot the fricken puck.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:24 AM
Stoneman89

Did Iginla play tonight? Think I heard his name mentioned twice. And kudoos to Charlie Simmer for referring to Gagner as PRV about a half dozen times, even when they showed the play on slow-mo replay a couple times as well. What a 'tard.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nafrelio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Olli seemed distracted tonight. Must have been dreaming of his Shrove Tuesday supper he was going to have after the game.

Thanks for this - stinkin hilarious is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
That was a disgusting pass by Gagner to Smyth, just beautiful.

Don't see too many Gagner haters around here anymore.
True about the pass. I'm still not sold on having both Hemsky and Gagner here but that was an incredible backhand pass - full credit to him.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Man Petry has been looking real good these last few games. Hope he keeps it up and makes me eat more crow about needing to play down in OKC.

The only thing better than crushing the Flames is getting to read the delusion and bitterness by Flames fans on the main board. Huzzah!
Especially tonight...best dman on the ice along with Smid.

Nobody saw his development curve elevating so quickly.

He has a legit shot of being a #2 dman in a season or 2.

Great story.

Old
02-22-2012, 12:25 AM
CanadianCommie
Cold North Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Did Iginla play tonight? Think I heard his name mentioned twice. And kudoos to Charlie Simmer for referring to Gagner as PRV about a half dozen times, even when they showed the play on slow-mo replay a couple times as well. What a 'tard.

the only thing I really saw of Iginla was him getting dumped at the blueline by MPS.

CanadianCommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Homesick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex87 View Post
Also, congrats to Ralph Krueger. He's had a tough go of it... well earned win.
I think he gave up and told them to do what ever they want tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellagiobob View Post
Olli seemed distracted tonight. Must have been dreaming of his Shrove Tuesday supper he was going to have after the game.

Its a good thing I don't know how to make gifs.....

Quote:

Hall is better than Seguin.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:26 AM
CupofOil
Visualizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Where was all the Gagner love the last couple of games?

Because they were nowhere to be seen in the PGT's that's for sure.

Way to pick your spots.

Hopefully Gagner can gain some consistency to his game, because we could some production when games actually mean something, instead of piling on points in blowouts in meaningless games.
I think that Gagner has been getting consistently better all year and he has been especially good in the last 35 games or so and not just offensively, he has improved a lot defensively and is getting better on faceoffs.
He did have 20 pts in 30 games leading up to the 8 point game so it's not like he is on some random hot streak and little else.
He has consistently been solid this season and very good at times, a far cry from the last couple of seasons IMO.

As you know, i've never been the biggest Gagner fan but i'm just calling it how i see it. He is clearly an improved overall player and deserves some credit for that.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Just got back from the game. Want to thank my parents for the excellent Christmas present.

What I saw was a team that simply wanted it more than the Flames. They won the puck battles, they got to the net, and they skated right around those silly Flamers.

I hope they play more games like that, but to be there live was something I won't forget anytime soon. It was mostly Oiler fans by the time the final buzzer went.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pointteen

I think Eberle is my new favourite. He has that amazing brain, and all that effort. The goal to tie the game is an amazing third effort.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:27 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Gagner is strange because some games it looks like he can't keep up with the pace of the game and tonight he had an elite finish and unreal pass to Smyth.

Props to Hall and Hemsky for starting with energy, as well as Eager. Glad they're giving him more ice time.

Don't know what Petry has to do to get on the PP though.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Gagner is strange because some games it looks like he can't keep up with the pace of the game and tonight he had an elite finish and unreal pass to Smyth.

Props to Hall and Hemsky for starting with energy, as well as Eager. Glad they're giving him more ice time.

Don't know what Petry has to do to get on the PP though.

Baby steps. Just be thankful Belanger isn't on it anymore.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Also #57 was Ben Eager apparently. Bugs me when announcers don't correct their mistakes. That's one thing I like about Razor.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote