HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stanislav Galiev?

Old
02-22-2012, 12:30 AM
HTFN

vCash: 500
Stanislav Galiev?

As a clear fan of the team, I've been partaking in a lot of talk with regard to selling at the deadline, but I haven't been thinking as much about what the team would do were they to try and buy at the deadline and roll into the playoffs healthy. I began to do so, and hit a pretty immediate snag, in that outside of the perceived untouchables (Kuznetsov, Holtby, Orlov, Alzner, Carlson, Ovechkin, Backstrom to name most, though all would likely be untouchable unless a lateral swap occurs, due to the team's "buying nature") the only trading chips I could think of that may have any significant value were the Picks, Eakin, and Galiev. With most other prospects and spare parts either too project-like to be of any real value (Wey, Flemming) or not going to be the centerpiece for any deal (Knuble, Perreault, Schultz), a guy like Galiev is really stumping me.

Everything I read about him as a prospect suggested that he should have gone in the 1st round, that his stick skills should be NHL quality, that his vision and speed are exceptional, and that he works at both ends of the rink. These things combined with the fact that he played in the USHL just to show his dedication to a North American game made me believe that his value should be pretty high, and yet the "3rd round draft pick" label makes me believe that even now too many GMs wouldn't be sold on him as a significant part of any deal because they clearly weren't then.

Long winded, I know, but what I mean to say is, if Galiev were to be packaged with a conditional 1st round pick (which is to say that Washington gives up the lower pick no matter what, so mid-to-late 1st), what kind of ballpark does that put them in?

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Atlas

I'm not eager to move Galiev. I've seen some rave reviews about his skills. I'd keep him until I had a better idea of how he projects.

Atlas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:35 AM
FrankM73

As a Caps fan that watched him in training camp live, I found him to be a very intriquing prospect. Very patient, very skilled, always looking for where the puck was going to... not to where it was at... which of course as gretzky said is the sign of a player with great vision and anticipation... so I have hope to Galiev...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:01 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Galiev is a great talent. I wouldn't be too eager to encourage his "expendability" around these parts. Picked as a 2nd rounder, probably should've gone first round, but his value is nothing unless in a package really.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Galiev is a great talent. I wouldn't be too eager to encourage his "expendability" around these parts. Picked as a 2nd rounder, probably should've gone first round, but his value is nothing unless in a package really.
3rd rounder, but yeah I see no reason to move him.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Jim51680
Rookie User

We should be selling in this market. Way more teams convinced that adding something is going to put them over the top. What we need we can't afford right now so our focus has to shift to shaking up this roster in hopes of spark, namely by jettisoning some of our UFAs and undesirables.

Try to get rid of Wideman, Knuble, Hamrlik, Schultz, and Ward at all costs. We'll never re-sign Wideman so get something now while value is relatively high, and Knuble is likely to retire. The others just have horrendous contracts and need to GTFO.

Jim51680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
HTFN

Don't get me wrong, I see no reason to move him either. I'm really excited for what he can bring. The point of this thread was really just to gauge how teams around the league see him, and whether it's based on his Nationality and draft pick, or if he's got enough skill to be worth something should that be on the table.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:48 PM
The Hulk

great player. Watch him in Saint John all the time. I was really surprised when he dropped to the 3rd round

The Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
BC Ben

I own him on both of my Dynasty League teams... He doesn't really get a lot of value in trade talks with other GMs there; specifically I value him higher than anyone else.

I also believe this kid has some talent and with time could develop into something special. Is that special with Washington, who knows? But I will wait as this league is 400+ players deep and he isn't the worst player I roster on my farm...

BC Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

He's been incredibly in the CHL and, imo, looked better than Couturier or Schenn when he played against the Flyers rookies in the pre-season. Would prefer to hang on to him.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote