HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

A Radical Idea: Ellis to wing

Old
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
A Radical Idea: Ellis to wing

I have an idea for an experiment. It may not work, but maybe it is worth a shot.

Right now, we have 8 Dmen on our roster. We obviously can't use all of them. Ryan Ellis barely sas the ice last game, and a guy with his potential and talent needs to be playing. He's shown some very good streaks, but there is some doubt about his defensive ability because of his size and speed. We can't afford to dress him just for the PP, but he has shown serious ability on it.

What if we tried Ellis at wing? He doesn't have to be as defensively responsible or as physical, but he still gets playing time. He can play point on the PP still, but regualr forward minutes. Playing winger, he'll grow his offensive game and could turn into a very good player. Not sure if it would work, but I think it's worth a shot for a game or two just to see what happens.

I'd love to see him on a line with Legwand and SK.

Last edited by Top 6 Spaling: 02-20-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:34 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I have always been told that defensemen tend to want to keep playing defense. I guess if he is ok with the move it would be interesting, but if I were Trotz I wouldn't force it.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Ellis hasn't been scratched since the Bruins game, though he played just under 4 minutes against Dallas.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I have always been told that defensemen tend to want to keep playing defense. I guess if he is ok with the move it would be interesting, but if I were Trotz I wouldn't force it.

Also, if I'm not mistaken Ellis hasn't been scratched since the Bruins game, though he played just under 4 minutes against Dallas.
My bad, he was going to be scratched and it changed last second. I forgot about that.

Anyways, I'm not saying it would or wouldn't work, I just think it would be something worth a shot.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:39 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I have had the same thought before. It would be fun to see for at least a game or two, but I would still only want it to happen if Ellis is ok with it.

I think Trotz did something like this with Zidlicky once a few years back.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

AFAIK, there are very few success stories in converting a D to Wing. It's usually done as a last resort out of desperation. I don't see us at that point.

I have thought about it before though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:08 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
AFAIK, there are very few success stories in converting a D to Wing. It's usually done as a last resort out of desperation. I don't see us at that point.

I have thought about it before though.
Belak .... I think Scott Walker ... but it is rare. It games like last night when we lacked enough forwards to ice four full lines, I could see trying him for a shift or two on the 4th line, but, not as a planned experiment.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Didn't we throw this idea out with Klein a few years ago?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Didn't we throw this idea out with Klein a few years ago?
Yeah pretty sure he played wing for a few games in Milwaukee. I remember Brent Burns trying it, don't think it worked out.

Byfuglien would be a success story, but you could argue they should have never tried it because he's a better dman than he was a forward.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Not a good enough skater, IMO

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

It would be an interesting idea but I agree he may not be a good enough skater. Would be interesting though to have him as a "point forward" on the PP though.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Yeah pretty sure he played wing for a few games in Milwaukee. I remember Brent Burns trying it, don't think it worked out.

Byfuglien would be a success story, but you could argue they should have never tried it because he's a better dman than he was a forward.
I don't recall Klein on the wing. I remember Carl Valimont from the IHL days playing the wing. He had good speed for a D-man.

Send Ellis down to Milwaukee! The Ads could use another D-man with Sloan injured. They have only six, with no spares.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Legionnaire11

Not a good enough Skater? Wing is the position that requires the least amount of skating ability. Defense probably tops.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:32 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
Not a good enough Skater? Wing is the position that requires the least amount of skating ability. Defense probably tops.
I never thought of it that way. It does explain Darren Haydar. He can't skate and couldn't make the Atlanta line up.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

ville koistinen was on the wing for a game or so if i recall correctly. . .

i dont think ellis has the foot speed to be effective on wing i dont think it would work well. just my opinion.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 07:59 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
i dont agree with this, to a degree. wing most definitely requires great skating, especially to succeed in the role we'd imagine ellis to be in as a forward top 6 id be guessing. Unless you have speed/size/physicality, ellis really doesnt have those traits. granted he has a little physicality to his game but can get knocked off the puck easily. only 2 players come to mind that dont have great skating ability in our top six are wilson and hornqvist. but they both have some size/physicality and wilson has some pretty nice hands, and hornqvist is hornqvist and is effective in front of the net. i dont see what ellis could bring at wing. . .

Old
02-20-2012, 08:10 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
i dont agree with this, to a degree. wing most definitely requires great skating, especially to succeed in the role we'd imagine ellis to be in as a forward top 6 id be guessing.
The wing is by far the least demanding position in terms of skating and defense. That's a big part of why Radulov is a successful winger.

Defense is by far the most demanding of the three main positions (center, wing, defense) in terms of skating ability. You have to be a good lateral and reverse skater to be successful. You will not see a defenseman at this level that cannot skate backwards.

I'm not sure I want to try Ellis at the wing. We've played Klein there, I think we played Zidlicky there and we might have tried Koistinen there, and none of those worked out. I don't think Ellis would be all that much different.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:28 PM
jlsg

I don't think you can put a tag on the skating of forwards (wings specifically) and dmen. I play both and they have different needs. Just because you can do one does not mean you can do the other. One or the other isn't easier, they're both hard for different reason. To say one is more demanding is just not true. Playing wing demands more high speed skating, agility, quickness and quick bursts to max speed. Defense you need to be able to skate backward and transition quickly, but you rely more on anticipation and reads to gain positional advantage which is why most defensemen are slower skaters. They generally don't need to catch someone, but need to be able to anticipate where the wing is going.

Having said that, at the NHL level the player has honed his game for many years. To suddenly change that is not something very many can do successfully. Generally those that have made the transition have done so becuase they played that position in amateur hockey at some point.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 08:57 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
The wing is by far the least demanding position in terms of skating and defense. That's a big part of why Radulov is a successful winger.

Defense is by far the most demanding of the three main positions (center, wing, defense) in terms of skating ability. You have to be a good lateral and reverse skater to be successful. You will not see a defenseman at this level that cannot skate backwards.

I'm not sure I want to try Ellis at the wing. We've played Klein there, I think we played Zidlicky there and we might have tried Koistinen there, and none of those worked out. I don't think Ellis would be all that much different.

Never said winger was harder than any position. I think that bolded is pretty obvious with every position, i was just pointing out ellis really doesnt have what it takes to be a winger in a top six role. what would he be a grinder in our bottom six? i dont think so, not enough speed or energy. he only has elite vision and a boomin slap shot, while great traits he is just better suited for defense. idk i just dont think it would do great. just my opinion.

Old
02-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Not a good enough skater, IMO
I don't think that would be an issue. Lack of size would be the immediate problem. He has very good instincts when the play is infront of him, I don't think his skill would be able to carry him when surrounded from all sides.

I like him on defense.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 09:53 PM
predfan24

I have a hard time seeing him succeed at forward. Kid just isn't a good enough skater. He's not fast,quick, explosive...anything like that. Combine that with the fact he is small and I can't see him being able to create enough space for himself to be able to use his skills.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 12:51 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeatMyPekka View Post
ville koistinen was on the wing for a game or so if i recall correctly. . . i dont think ellis has the foot speed to be effective on wing i dont think it would work well. just my opinion.
Thank you!!! I was scrolling down and I knew of one player but couldn't remember his name for the life of me. Koistinen, we also used him in the shootouts.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:05 AM
VFL615*

I mentioned this topic months ago somewhere and i do not think anyone even responded. I think Ellis could play wing. He is clearly more talented than any d-man mentioned in this topic. Someone with a lot of talent can pick up new positions with work.
He has plenty of speed in my opinion and skates better than two other guys we play at forward (Smithson/Mcgratten) If they can play a foward position Ellis can. Ellis has a deadly shot and is not afraid to shoot the puck like 85% of are team is. Lastly the style of play Nashville plays with is more d responsible and dump an chase. Its not like we are going to ask him to make moves around people into the offense zone because it rarely happens now. I say give the kid a shot.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:50 AM
cju1979
Radulov Convert

If it means getting Smithson possibly OFF the ice...please do

cju1979 is offline   Reply With Quote