HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future of Phil McRae?

Old
02-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

vCash: 500
Future of Phil McRae?

Does he play in a Blues uniform next year? All reports say he is the best player on the ice for the riverman but we have a lot of center depth.

Backes, Berglund, Sobotka all signed for next year

And Arnott and Nichol being potentially resigned plus competition frm Lehtera if he crosses the pond.

Also what would be wrong with giving him a shot up here playing on the wing, its not like any of the other callups have wowed us?

Sorry about the randomness of this, just something that has been on my mind recently.

Blanick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:41 AM
jessejames

"All reports say he is the best player on the ice for the Riverman"?

What reports are these?

jessejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
"All reports say he is the best player on the ice for the Riverman"?

What reports are these?
A couple of months ago armstrong went down to watch a couple of peoria games. when he came back up he told jeremy rutherford, the blues beat writer, and he put it in an article he wrote.

Also dave enimen, writer for peoria often mentions mcrae as one of the best on ice consistently

Blanick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Renard

He definitely has some skill with the puck. I haven't seen anything about his ability taking faceoffs. His stats are upside down as a center - lots of goals, not many assists.

He looks like a player, but maybe better as a forward.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Chojin
Tiny Panger...

I sincerely doubt that McRae makes the team next year, if only because there's so much competition. Maybe the year after next?

Chojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:39 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 857
McRae should make a run for 3rd or 4th line center. He is also really good at faceoffs, something that we struggle in.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:08 AM
dao256

Nichol has done most of what has been asked of him, but Im not sure if he comes back next year, especially if Arnott resigns (which he should be). As you said, there is just to much depth at center..

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Can't see Nichol coming back

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:10 AM
jimmykay

perhaps we could just move McRae to a wing (like McDonald)

jimmykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Can McRae fight like his dad ? I don't mean like his, I mean can he fight also ?

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:40 PM
stlweir

He'll go, but from the clips I've seen fighting is not his strong suit.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:32 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
I sincerely doubt that McRae makes the team next year, if only because there's so much competition. Maybe the year after next?
A lot of UFA's won't be back so it's really not that crowded. Could definitely see McRae as 3rd-line center. I like him.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
execwrite

I've got McRae as the third line center next year unless Lehtera comes over.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:49 PM
h22prelude93

Is McRae any good at faceoffs? I know the AHL doesn't keep track of faceoffs(for whatever reason), but I would think that would be a HUGE factor as to whether or not he starts at center for the Blues. Moving Sobotka to center is always a viable option as he is very good at faceoffs. And McRae could also be slotted in on the left. I don't think Nichol will be back either next season, but I do think Arnott will definitely still be around. I will say...I do think McRae deserves a shot. He's done everything that has been asked of him so far, and for that he should hold some seniority over guys like Schwartz, and even Tarasenko in training camp.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:51 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

McRae is very good at faceoffs from what I remember. Not sure if anything has changed, but I'm pretty sure that's what he excelled at last season. I haven't paid very much attention to him this season.

Old
02-22-2012, 06:33 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I'll put money on the Blues not breaking camp next year with McRae as their third line center.

He has an outside shot of being the 4th line center depending on how several variables fall into place, but he'll probably start in Peoria.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:36 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
I'll put money on the Blues not breaking camp next year with McRae as their third line center.

He has an outside shot of being the 4th line center depending on how several variables fall into place, but he'll probably start in Peoria.
Thats where I am at too. I think McRae is the kind of guy that will have to work his way though the ranks rather slowly.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:38 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:

I agree with this, unless he significantly increases his offensive production. He he truly was playing as well as people say in Peoria, we would've seen him in a Blues jersey by now, at least for a game or 2.

Old
02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:

Exactly right, he does have an outside chance of cracking the 4th line out of camp...but even that is pretty doubtful. A more likely scenario is that he serves the same kind of role that Evgeny Grachev has served this season.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I agree with this, unless he significantly increases his offensive production. He he truly was playing as well as people say in Peoria, we would've seen him in a Blues jersey by now, at least for a game or 2.
I completely disagree with this. It isn't a matter of being in a Blues jersey, it is a matter of having too many one way contracts, and while we have had injuries, center isn't an area that has been it until just recently - and even then we have 5 natural centers on the team - Sobokta being included. Guys like Porter have been in and out of the line up and have played well in all areas.

Had McRae been brought up sooner, someone would have been waived. Grachev is a natural wing so getting playing time with the Blues has been a bit easier, but even he has been sent down. (He has played well on the 3rd and 4th lines when given a shot). But Porter can't be sent down w/o clearing waivers - which he wouldn't.

So keeping McRae w/ the Rivermen and playing top line minutes will only help him develop. It is the same thing that has happened with Cole this year. And Polak is another guy who spent 2 seasons in the AHL and that worked out very well.

McRae was lights out at the prospect tourney (one of the top 3 forwards in the Tourney). I don't think he has regressed since then.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
I completely disagree with this. It isn't a matter of being in a Blues jersey, it is a matter of having too many one way contracts, and while we have had injuries, center isn't an area that has been it until just recently - and even then we have 5 natural centers on the team - Sobokta being included. Guys like Porter have been in and out of the line up and have played well in all areas.

Had McRae been brought up sooner, someone would have been waived. Grachev is a natural wing so getting playing time with the Blues has been a bit easier, but even he has been sent down. (He has played well on the 3rd and 4th lines when given a shot). But Porter can't be sent down w/o clearing waivers - which he wouldn't.

So keeping McRae w/ the Rivermen and playing top line minutes will only help him develop. It is the same thing that has happened with Cole this year. And Polak is another guy who spent 2 seasons in the AHL and that worked out very well.

McRae was lights out at the prospect tourney (one of the top 3 forwards in the Tourney). I don't think he has regressed since then.
Not sure you completely understood what I meant. Sterling, Cracknell, and Grachev have all played with the big club, and Hensick was recently recalled. He is at least 5th on the emergency/short term call up list. He has 52 points in 95 AHL games, he just isn't very good offensively, which is one of the main reasons he hasn't been recalled, and will most likely not be in the NHL next season. He hasn't necessarily regressed, but he isn't progressing.

When Arnott was hurt, it would've made sense to bring McRae up to play the 3rd line center spot if he truly was playing so well. Could he play the 4th next season, sure, but he isn't ready for top 9 minutes. Besides November when he scored 8 goals, he's been very average offensively. He has a good amount of work to do before he gets to the NHL.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:42 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Oops wrong thread

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

oops, lol.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:00 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Not sure you completely understood what I meant. Sterling, Cracknell, and Grachev have all played with the big club, and Hensick was recently recalled. I think you aren't looking enough at where those injured players played. They are all wings, except Cracknell and he did score a goal in his 2 games. Last year, McRae played in more then a couple of games with the big club and he looked fine. Not out of place or over his head. He is at least 5th on the emergency/short term call up list Not if you are looking at center. . He has 52 points in 95 AHL games, he just isn't very good offensively, which is one of the main reasons he hasn't been recalled, and will most likely not be in the NHL next season. He hasn't necessarily regressed, but he isn't progressing.

When Arnott was hurt, Sobokta played 3rd line center. it would've made sense to bring McRae up to play the 3rd line center spot if he truly was playing so well. Again, you can't argue with playing Sobokta in that spot. Could he play the 4th next season, sure, but he isn't ready for top 9 minutes. Besides November when he scored 8 goals, he's been very average offensively. He has a good amount of work to do before he gets to the NHL.
We see things very differently. The more I think about it, Arnott wasn't put on IR (atleast I don't believe so). And if he wasn't then you are looking at the 23 man roster issue and if McRae was recalled someone would have had to have been sent down - likely Porter or BJ. Both would have had to clear waivers and more then likely both would have been claimed. Bad asset management.

Last edited by Frenzy1: 02-24-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 0
With the way the roster is constructed, if McRae is our third line center next year, we are in trouble. That means we have some serious injuries. Which is the Blues M.O. so who knows? But where he is at in his game now, and him making a huge jump to a third line center on a great team, are pretty high expectations. I could see him battle for the fourth line center, ease him into the NHL, give him 8-10 minutes of ice an see what happens. His ceiling on this team is a third line center and that's OK, I just don't see him getting there next year.

Meatwagon is offline   Reply With Quote