HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Future of Phil McRae?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-25-2012, 07:34 AM
  #26
Oshie97
Registered User
 
Oshie97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,392
vCash: 500
I don't see him playing center right away. With the depth of our team and the prospects we may have coming in to try out he will have to push himself to make the team. I hope he can contribute next yr but if not we finally have a team deep enough to let young talent develop in the minors.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:57 AM
  #27
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,540
vCash: 500
I wonder if there is any thought of moving McRae to left wing. His stats don't seem to indicate he's much of a playmaker and left wing could be a better position for him.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:12 PM
  #28
ZaphodBeeblebrox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
I don't really want him moved to wing as I would love to have a center that drives to the net more.

To me, a bigger center that's defensively responsible, good on faceoffs and drives to the net is the perfect fit for a 3rd/4th line center.

But I'm not in a rush, as someone already said, it's great that this team finally has the talent and depth to take their time and develop their younger players.

ZaphodBeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:00 PM
  #29
execwrite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Peekskill, NY
Posts: 3,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox View Post
I don't really want him moved to wing as I would love to have a center that drives to the net more.

To me, a bigger center that's defensively responsible, good on faceoffs and drives to the net is the perfect fit for a 3rd/4th line center.

But I'm not in a rush, as someone already said, it's great that this team finally has the talent and depth to take their time and develop their younger players.
I know what you mean, but the Blues are lacking a playmaking center. Wonder if Schwartz could play center and McRae play the wing. Already have Backes and Berglund as big center men.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:53 PM
  #30
Bateman*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
I know what you mean, but the Blues are lacking a playmaking center. Wonder if Schwartz could play center and McRae play the wing. Already have Backes and Berglund as big center men.
Even if Schwartz went to center why would McRae need to go to the wing. I don`t mind if in two or three years (after Arnott) our centers are Backes, Schwartz, Berglund, McRae ... and feel free to place those top three however you wish.

Bateman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:24 PM
  #31
Frenzy1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyLondon View Post
Even if Schwartz went to center why would McRae need to go to the wing. I don`t mind if in two or three years (after Arnott) our centers are Backes, Schwartz, Berglund, McRae ... and feel free to place those top three however you wish.
Jaden is a left winger. I am not sure when he has ever played center. McRae will be fine. He made Rattie look great in the prospects tourney.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:26 PM
  #32
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
EastonBlues22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 5,476
vCash: 500
Very much doubt that Schwartz plays center in the NHL. The "need" for a playmaking center is very much overrated when it comes to the type of system that the Blues run...especially if it comes at the cost of physicality/size/defensive ability.

The Blues can't be completely devoid of playmakers up front, but having them on the wing is just fine. Probably even preferred.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 08:02 AM
  #33
stlweir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,516
vCash: 500
McRae scored his 19th yesterday.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
  #34
Superscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
McRae scored his 19th yesterday.
And scored the shootout winner.

Superscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2012, 07:41 PM
  #35
Renard
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 52
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Very much doubt that Schwartz plays center in the NHL. The "need" for a playmaking center is very much overrated when it comes to the type of system that the Blues run...especially if it comes at the cost of physicality/size/defensive ability.

The Blues can't be completely devoid of playmakers up front, but having them on the wing is just fine. Probably even preferred.
It seems to me that teams typically use their best passers at center because such a player in the center of the ice has the most passing options. The only way such a guy winds up on the wing is if he is no good at faceoffs.


I hear that Schwartz plays wing in college, and I don't know why that is. This forum lists him as a center and the Blues need a playmaking center.

Maybe there is more to this than I know. Please comment.

Renard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM
  #36
ZaphodBeeblebrox
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
That is traditional thinking of course.

But centers are also more heavily relied on than the wings to control the defensive play, which is where this team places it's importance. (getting in position to block the passing lane and forcing the puck carrier to pass into whatever area your system has it's man advantage away from the puck - yay I didn't mention trap ) They are also expected to win some faceoffs, or at least it's more efficient to be in position for your other responsibilities if the center can take the faceoff

It's such a pivotal position, which is why I've always appreciated a center that can drive to the net when there's a chance for it. Of course you coach your passing plays, learn where to expect each other coming off the boards and such, but what you just can't coach is being big enough to protect the puck and drive to the net and being a threat to score. Scoring to me, is more of an art than a science and I'm not suggesting that Phillip necessarily will be an efficient NHL scorer, but being a threat is always better than not because you can potentially draw players out of passing lanes and create more opportunities. Conversely if you're more of a scorer it doesn't hurt to be a threat to pass ... it all just builds on itself in modern hockey.

ZaphodBeeblebrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2012, 09:45 AM
  #37
Superscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superscout View Post
And scored the shootout winner.
McRae scores last night in a 4-2 win over OKC. That gives the Rivermen 3 20 goal scorers and Cheechoo sitting at 18.

Superscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.