HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract? All Bryz Discussion Here. Part Four

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 01:43 PM
Coldplay
Courage

vCash: 500
Bryz is too good not to pull himself together. He'll find his game, and he'll find his confidence, it's only a matter of time.

Goaltending is the hardest position - everything is always on the goalie when he's not playing well, but it's up to his teammates to help him out of his slump by better supporting him. I'm not professional or anything, but take it from someone who's been a goalie his whole life.

It's not black and white, and it certainly isn't for Bryz.

Booing him is probably the stupidest thing you can do at this point. He's not even a season into his contract, and he's put together strings of good play here and there. Obviously that isn't good enough for a guy of his calibre, stature, and for a team that has lacked any shred of goaltending since Pelle/Hextall, but making it harder for him to come back strong is not the recipe for his success, and by extension, the team's.

You might say that puts his mental strength into question, but I don't see it that way. He's not a robot, and I'm sure he knows better than anyone that his play has been unacceptable far too often this year.

He needs a shrink more than anything.

The bigger worry is if he can't handle the pressure of this market, because there is no fixing that. I'm hesitant to conclude that because of his sparkling playoffs with the Ducks, though, and because, as I said, he hasn't even been a Flyer for a season.

Just my two cents as an outsider.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:45 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Ok your right. Since he was screened, he gets a pass. Like honestly I dont know why I debate anymore. Any deflections? Automatic pass. Screened shot? Automatic pass. Shot at either faceoff circles? Automatic pass. Breakaway? Automatic pass. Wraparounds? Automatic pass.

Like honestly, what is he supposed to save...
bro, there is just a massive difference in attitude between "ohh a tough shot, it went in...would have been nice to have that one"...and "wtf bad goal".

Everyone gets beat...even the best players. Getting beat on a play doesn't mean you suck...

I'd never call ANY goalie out for 1,2,3 last night.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Yeah, thing is, almost every goalie in the NHL gets beaten a lot less than Bryz.

02-22-2012, 01:48 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Bryz has zero benefit of the doubt on that Buff shot because he lets so many of those one time blasts into the net.
Lol and he makes some of those saves too...so does bob.

Just because it went in doesn't make it a bad goal. There are ALOT of goals scored like this in the league...

Old
02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Lol and he makes some of those saves too...so does bob.

Just because it went in doesn't make it a bad goal. There are ALOT of goals scored like this in the league...
Sure there are. It just so happens that more get scored on Bryz than on other goalies.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:50 PM
MrHockey1982

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-deadline.html

Kevin Weekes' ranking of goaltending tandems in the NHL. Flyers are ranked.......sigh

Old
02-22-2012, 01:53 PM
Prongo
Beer

Okay this thread is absolutely incredible. You know why Bryz isn't stopping pucks through screen shots, because he has a terrible time tracking pucks all year. The Buff shot was stoppable. He could have his blocker over his pad and made the save. We tend to forget he is making 5.6 million dollars on our cap. He needs to make those saves, even through a screen. Goalies all around the NHL makes those saves, but since he was screened he gets a pass. I have supported Bryz throughout the year, but anyone even defending his play right now is down right silly. It has been terrible, absolutely terrible.

Bryz ranks 43 in sv% and 34nd in GAA. That means in both categories is he being out performed by every starting goalie in the league and in one category half the back-ups in the league are even out performing him. There is no excuse for that. He needs to step up and play better. There is no reason behind this besides he has performed pathetically as our starter. Don't give me that ******** that those stats are meaningless, they are perfect examples of how a goalie is performing. If his stats are that bad, he isn't stopping shot that he clearly should be stopping.

Also Bryz has not done what is definitely needed of him... with such a young team and some young defenders, there will always be mistakes. Veterans make mistakes also. Bryz has constantly blew opportunities to make up for these mistakes by our young team. He was brought in here to be the goalie that can clean up for such errors, and I only remember it one time him successfully doing so. It was against Buffalo when Vanek was stoned by him with the time running out on the game.

There is nothing else to be said about Bryz other then he has been dreadful. Stop creating excuses for the guy. He needs to play better if we have any chance of a deep playoff run, and by the way he is playing lately, it doesn't seem like he is capable of turning it around this season. I still hold out hope for him, but people stop defending him, its pathetic.

/rant

Old
02-22-2012, 01:58 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Okay this thread is absolutely incredible. You know why Bryz isn't stopping pucks through screen shots, because he has a terrible time tracking pucks all year. The Buff shot was stoppable. He could have his blocker over his pad and made the save. We tend to forget he is making 5.6 million dollars on our cap. He needs to make those saves, even through a screen. Goalies all around the NHL makes those saves, but since he was screened he gets a pass. I have supported Bryz throughout the year, but anyone even defending his play right now is down right silly. It has been terrible, absolutely terrible.

Bryz ranks 43 in sv% and 34nd in GAA. That means in both categories is he being out performed by every starting goalie in the league and in one category half the back-ups in the league are even out performing him. There is no excuse for that. He needs to step up and play better. There is no reason behind this besides he has performed pathetically as our starter. Don't give me that ******** that those stats are meaningless, they are perfect examples of how a goalie is performing. If his stats are that bad, he isn't stopping shot that he clearly should be stopping.

Also Bryz has not done what is definitely needed of him... with such a young team and some young defenders, there will always be mistakes. Veterans make mistakes also. Bryz has constantly blew opportunities to make up for these mistakes by our young team. He was brought in here to be the goalie that can clean up for such errors, and I only remember it one time him successfully doing so. It was against Buffalo when Vanek was stoned by him with the time running out on the game.

There is nothing else to be said about Bryz other then he has been dreadful. Stop creating excuses for the guy. He needs to play better if we have any chance of a deep playoff run, and by the way he is playing lately, it doesn't seem like he is capable of turning it around this season. I still hold out hope for him, but people stop defending him, its pathetic.

/rant
I know for myself, I'm not defending Bryzgalov's play. He has been terrible this year and there's no doubting that. With that being said, there's also mitigating factors as to why Bryzgalov has been so bad. I'm willing to write this year off because the Flyers weren't expected to contend and that the Flyers would have been lucky to grab a play off spot with all the changes made.

With that being said, next season is when I expect to see the real Bryzgalov - the 195 pound Bryzgalov and not the 225 pound Bryzgalov that showed up in camp after McCrossin told him to put on some weight.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
achdumeingute

Let's go get Brian Elliot then. Those telling stats indicate he's the best goalie evar.

Blame scouts/Holmgren/snider for getting a square peg for a round hole.

I'm defending the position, not bryz per se. I defended Bob (on another board) plenty last year.

I'll sign a 1 mil contract right now to play G..you can boo my terrible goaltending all day and I'll be thrilled to get my check.

Old
02-22-2012, 01:59 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
bro, there is just a massive difference in attitude between "ohh a tough shot, it went in...would have been nice to have that one"...and "wtf bad goal".

Everyone gets beat...even the best players. Getting beat on a play doesn't mean you suck...

It's just that, Bryz seems to get alot of passes by people here because they feel bad for him. He gets boo'd because he is playing bad, lets in almost 3 goals a game while getting paid 51 million dollars.

Getting beat on a play, means who were outskilled by the opponent. Absolutely, all goalies let in bad goals. But its how many they let in which differs from elite goalies with great stats to goalies with terrible stats. Just means they outskilled the shooter on the shot and elite goalies do it more than average goalies.

But in the end though, some have already given Bryz an automatic pass for the season, so no matter how he plays its ok.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Let's go get Brian Elliot then. Those telling stats indicate he's the best goalie evar.

Blame scouts/Holmgren/snider for getting a square peg for a round hole.

I'm defending the position, bryz.

I'll sign a 1 mil contract right now to play G..you can boo my terrible goaltending all day and I'll be thrilled to get my check.
I have watched Elliot play frequently this year. He has made some absolutely spectacular saves, even in front of screens. I know Hitchy is a defensive coach, but Elliot is making the saves to keep that team in the game, Bryz is not. That can not be argued.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Bryz has zero benefit of the doubt on that Buff shot because he lets so many of those one time blasts into the net.
and that right there shows your lack of objectivity. "because he made a mistake on a different goal, i'm gonna also blame him for this goal .... "

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Bryz got there but got his pad down a half a second too late. That's where the speed of Buff's shot comes in, moreso than the ability of Bryz imo.
do you enjoy making stuff up to support your views? if his pad WASN'T down, he might have gotten it. the puck went OVER his pad. not 5 hole, not short side .... OVER his pad .... watch the puck hit dead center of the back of the net ..... he WAS there. perfect shot.

the bias both of you show is laughable .. it's RIGHT THERE .... watch it !

Old
02-22-2012, 02:09 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
and that right there shows your lack of objectivity. "because he made a mistake on a different goal, i'm gonna also blame him for this goal .... "

do you enjoy making stuff up to support your views? if his pad WASN'T down, he might have gotten it. the puck went OVER his pad. not 5 hole, not short side .... OVER his pad .... watch the puck hit dead center of the back of the net ..... he WAS there. perfect shot.

Thanks for proving he got beat short side yet again.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:

only the Bash-A-Delphians blame our goalie for them ... the same ones who yell 'SHOOT !!!! SHOOT !!!!' for 2 minutes every PP the Flyers get

Old
02-22-2012, 02:10 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
It's just that, Bryz seems to get alot of passes by people here because they feel bad for him. He gets boo'd because he is playing bad, lets in almost 3 goals a game while getting paid 51 million dollars.

Getting beat on a play, means who were outskilled by the opponent. Absolutely, all goalies let in bad goals. But its how many they let in which differs from elite goalies with great stats to goalies with terrible stats. Just means they outskilled the shooter on the shot and elite goalies do it more than average goalies.

But in the end though, some have already given Bryz an automatic pass for the season, so no matter how he plays its ok.
Im a believer that goalies are affected by teams in front of them. I played soccer goalie, and I looked ALOT better when I had better teams...
Unfortunately...this flyers team won't find out...bc the true star goalies aren't moved...(I'd love to have HL or MAF or price for 20 games just to find out!!).

The bad thing about contract #s/cap hits and or draft selection is the expectation it carries...at the end of the day he's still just a man...who isn't quitting out there (see roman checkmanek)...I'm not blaming him for getting paid...

I'll blame the Org for it though...

Old
02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Thanks for proving he got beat short side yet again.
thanks for proving that you have no clue what 'short side' means.

when a puck goes BETWEEN a goalie and the short side post = getting beat short side. pucks that are shot OVER your pads when you are in position [especially on a Buff PP one timer], are goals that go in.

of course, if that was Bob, you'd be spluging all over about how quickly he got over there, and how he's 'trying so hard' .... but since you need to justify your 'bum' stance, you just invent things to support your view

Old
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I have watched Elliot play frequently this year. He has made some absolutely spectacular saves, even in front of screens. I know Hitchy is a defensive coach, but Elliot is making the saves to keep that team in the game, Bryz is not. That can not be argued.
Do you think the synergy between the team and the G have nothing to do with that? He knows he can be more agressive or play a certain way in the system because someone will be in a spot to help him.

He didn't look very good in the ASG...(did any goalie with that defense...? Do they ever?)

Fire Brian Murray now for sure for letting this certain HOFer get away.

Do you think he'd do this here?

Old
02-22-2012, 02:20 PM
xifentoozlerix

Quote:
only the Bash-A-Delphians blame our goalie for them ... the same ones who yell 'SHOOT !!!! SHOOT !!!!' for 2 minutes every PP the Flyers get
I also noticed that the "shoot!" (the puck into the blocking defender) people are frequently the same people who blame the goalie for breakdowns. It shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the players' ability and responsibility in each case.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:22 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Its not the only slapshot from the point he has let in. It always seems to be a "blaster" so he gets a pass.
Quote:
Ok your right. Since he was screened, he gets a pass. Like honestly I dont know why I debate anymore. Any deflections? Automatic pass. Screened shot? Automatic pass. Shot at either faceoff circles? Automatic pass. Breakaway? Automatic pass. Wraparounds? Automatic pass.

Like honestly, what is he supposed to save...
I never said I gave him a pass. But contrary to your apparent belief, he can't stop everything.

Quote:

I'd love to know what my bias is. Sorry I didn't review the evidence before my post Mr. Goalie Authority. So it went over the pad, Bryz was still too slow to react to Buff's one-timer. Oh look, still got beat for the same reason as before. Buff has a bomb, Bryz reacted too slow!

Though your video does show he's in an unready position while the play is in his zone, aren't goalies supposed to be crouched, ready to go into the butterfly at almost all times? He seems too non-chalant.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

BP74, you are far and away the least objective person on this forum. Possibly on HFBoards.

It's also hilarious that you're calling Sobrien biased. If I'm not mistaken he's given Bryz a lot of benefit of the doubt.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:39 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
BP74, you are far and away the least objective person on this forum. Possibly on HFBoards.

It's also hilarious that you're calling Sobrien biased. If I'm not mistaken he's given Bryz a lot of benefit of the doubt.
I agree with this, but for as far as he goes defending him, there are 15 others that go so far the other way it is laughable.

I was there last night, had no problems with first 3 goals, but almost got up and walked out on the 4th one And people discounting that OT save, after sitting idol for 25 mins, live , that was a crazy good save.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
I didn't review the evidence before my post
exactly.
you didn't watch the actual goal, before claiming that he didn't get the pad down fast enough.

i rest my case.
next time, how about posting about what actually happened.

Quote:

you and hkckplayer8 are right there with me, if that's the case, beef.

i don't care what Sobrien has said in the past, he blamed Bryz and invented a reason. if you don't want to call that biased, then substitute 'flat out wrong'

Old
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
So it went over the pad, Bryz was still too slow to react to Buff's one-timer.
it can't be both ways. either its:

he was too slow to get over with the pad down
or
it went over his pad and he was in position.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
And people discounting that OT save, after sitting idol for 25 mins, live , that was a crazy good save.
Leighton made an awesome save once in a game too.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
thanks for proving that you have no clue what 'short side' means.

when a puck goes BETWEEN a goalie and the short side post = getting beat short side. pucks that are shot OVER your pads when you are in position [especially on a Buff PP one timer], are goals that go in.

of course, if that was Bob, you'd be spluging all over about how quickly he got over there, and how he's 'trying so hard' .... but since you need to justify your 'bum' stance, you just invent things to support your view

Closed Thread