HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Canes Board Lounge V: The Empire Strikes Back

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4057
Oh man, like Shutdown Sutter said yesterday, we're not going to have ANY answer for Leslie without Henson...

Old
03-10-2012, 12:16 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
No doubt they're closer, but they're still 40 apart and that's ignoring a lot of good schools.

State's a great school, and like you've said they have been climbing for awhile. But right now, it'd be smart for State to NOT compare themselves to UNC as far as academics are concerned, because it puts them on the clear losing end of that "rivalry" and makes them look bad, something they don't deserve. I tried to give you an out by saying they aren't comparable.

You stated that a school being better academically is worth much more bragging rights than simply having a better basketball team, and I agree. But if UNC's got better academics AND a better basketball team, what does that say about any sort of "rivalry"?
Do we really need to get into the historical reasons WHY UNC is so much more highly rated in academics again? AKA the reason the rivalry started to begin with?

Old
03-10-2012, 12:17 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Oh man, like Shutdown Sutter said yesterday, we're not going to have ANY answer for Leslie without Henson...
Yeah, I'm not feeling too confident about this either. Henson just needs to get healthy for the real tournament. UNC could still have a case for a #1 even if they lost today.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:18 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
Do we really need to get into the historical reasons WHY UNC is so much more highly rated in academics again? AKA the reason the rivalry started to begin with?
Sure, why the hell not?

Old
03-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Novacane
My Hero

Howell is racking up the boards without Henson in.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:20 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
In fact, the only thing that ever makes me feel even a little bit of animosity towards State is you guys. You're so freaking annoying.
And that's why I can't stand them now. Before I moved up here two years ago, I actually didn't mind State at all. But then when I became surrounded by them, I found out what they're really like. The level of jealousy is unbelievable... they're like our annoying little brother. They are obsessed with us to an unhealthy level. It's extremely irritating.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Yeah, I'm not feeling too confident about this either. Henson just needs to get healthy for the real tournament. UNC could still have a case for a #1 even if they lost today.
Nice to get McAdoo some real time though. Obviously not as much of a defensive beast, but certainly a more complete (if not as effective) player on the offensive side of the court.

Kind of guy that can play the 3 and the 4, and if he gets comfortable, he could give some very valuable minutes off the bench in the big tourney.

It'd be nice to get Hairston going as well, I'd prefer it if Justin Watts didn't see the court ONCE during the tournament.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

According to ESPN, Rams trade 2nd overall pick to Redskins for 4th overall pick, 36th pick and 2 future firsts. Blackmon to the Rams looks solid, assuming ofc Matt Kalil goes 3rd, but even if he doesn't Rams still walk away as winners with a freak of a LT. Also, looks like Peyton gonna be a Bronco. BAI BAI 2U TIMMAH!!!

Old
03-10-2012, 12:25 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
This is truly lulz worthy, just... why the hell would a team give up THAT much? I like RGIII as a prospect, I think his accuracy is better then Newton, but his frame is nowhere near as big and considering the hits you take in the NFL this is a big time gamble. Dan Snyder may in fact be the worst owner in all of sports right now.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:29 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Sure, why the hell not?
The North Carolina General Assembly (which was largely made up of UNC-CH alumni) refused to fun the new Land Grant college (what ended up becoming NCSU). Instead, the money was given to UNC-CH until it was time to establish a "partner" institution.

Obviously not the only reason for quite that large of a gap in academics, but still a large part of it. The University was denied funding from the start.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
This is truly lulz worthy, just... why the hell would a team give up THAT much? I like RGIII as a prospect, I think his accuracy is better then Newton, but his frame is nowhere near as big and considering the hits you take in the NFL this is a big time gamble. Dan Snyder may in fact be the worst owner in all of sports right now.
Seems like a lot, but who knows. It's comparable to what the ATL gave up last year to get Julio Jones. Who knows what might happen though. The truly funny part is that there is some talk (however small) that RG3 might be making a push for #1, now wouldn't that be F***ing hilarious. Luck to the 'Skins?

Old
03-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
I agree with you, but I think they sort of had no other option. Peyton's not going to sign in the same division as Eli, IMO Flynn's as good as a Dolphin already with his ties to Joe Philbin, and there aren't any other options. The market determined the price for the #2 overall pick, so unless they wanted to explain to their fans that RGIII was too expensive and risky, and THAT'S why Kyle Orton or John Beck was starting football games for them, they had to go for it.

It's a risk, and they're screwed if it doesn't pan out (actually St. Louis could have a plethora of high draft picks if it doesn't work out). But at the same time I think the Skins are tired of not having a QB, and it's not like there are all that many better QB prospects in the last 10 years or so. Griffin's stock has done nothing but rise, and he's a great kid and a hard worker. A big risk, but one you've GOT to take if you're the Skins, IMO.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
The North Carolina General Assembly (which was largely made up of UNC-CH alumni) refused to fun the new Land Grant college (what ended up becoming NCSU). Instead, the money was given to UNC-CH until it was time to establish a "partner" institution.

Obviously not the only reason for quite that large of a gap in academics, but still a large part of it. The University was denied funding from the start.
I'm at a loss as to why this is relevant. I don't care how UNC become better academically, they're better academically. They didn't do anything illegal, they didn't do anything wrong, sounds like a half-baked conspiracy theory more than anything.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Novacane
My Hero

FWIW, I got accepted at UNC and State and chose State for its engineering. Does that mean I am a worse student because I chose State?

Old
03-10-2012, 12:37 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I still say you take your beatings for one season, and load up on what looks like a great QB draft class next year. You have a top 3 QBs for that draft that looks like the top 3 QBs from the Eli/Rivers/ROFLesberger (and yes, even as a Steelers fan I'll call him that til he cleans up his act) draft.

Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Geno Smith, with Tyler Wilson at #4 for good measure. Fairly shallow draft after that though, but that top 3 is just ridiculous.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:38 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
FWIW, I got accepted at UNC and State and chose State for its engineering. Does that mean I am a worse student because I chose State?
Certainly seems that way.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacane View Post
Nope. You wanted to go for engineering, which UNC doesn't have.

I stated just like a page ago that UNC and State academics aren't really comparable for that reason, but because Callahan insisted they are, I just posted a couple of basic facts and rankings. I still don't really think they're comparable, because I would bet that the majority of State students go for engineering, but I'm just using Callahan's logic and accepted statements.

Basically, they aren't really comparable, but if you DO choose to compare them, UNC blows State out of the water. (Again, I choose not to. Can't stress that enough.)

Old
03-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
I still say you take your beatings for one season, and load up on what looks like a great QB draft class next year. You have a top 3 QBs for that draft that looks like the top 3 QBs from the Eli/Rivers/ROFLesberger (and yes, even as a Steelers fan I'll call him that til he cleans up his act) draft.

Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Geno Smith, with Tyler Wilson at #4 for good measure. Fairly shallow draft after that though, but that top 3 is just ridiculous.
Might just be me, but I'd rather have RG3 right now, than Barkley next year. As good as he looks, there seems to be something about USC QB's recentley. Not saying the trend will or won't continue, but after looking at guys like Sanchez, Leinart etc, I'd be a bit gun shy. Never mind the fact that you're gonna prolly need to post a 2-14 or worse record to land him. So far he seems to be the consensus #1 next year.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
"These old rivals are meeting today for the 222nd time in their rivalry"
Can someone please tell these idiot announcers that this isn't a rivalry? Sheesh.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Can someone please tell these idiot announcers that this isn't a rivalry? Sheesh.
I came to post this, but then saw a giant argument again.

Really guys, FFS, get over yourselves. Each school is what it is. Arguing is not going to change that.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:46 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Nope. You wanted to go for engineering, which UNC doesn't have.

I stated just like a page ago that UNC and State academics aren't really comparable for that reason, but because Callahan insisted they are, I just posted a couple of basic facts and rankings. I still don't really think they're comparable, because I would bet that the majority of State students go for engineering, but I'm just using Callahan's logic and accepted statements.

Basically, they aren't really comparable, but if you DO choose to compare them, UNC blows State out of the water. (Again, I choose not to. Can't stress that enough.)
I went to State for Biochemistry.

Old
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
"Finnish Hot Tubs"

"Wow, Look at that Hat!"

"The Canes are in Winnipeg today to play the Atlanta Thrashers."

And HE went to HARVARD.

Old
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Wasn't aware that an announcer's (someone paid to draw in viewers w/ his commentary) opinion = fact.

Also, what Dubinchuk said.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:48 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
Might just be me, but I'd rather have RG3 right now, than Barkley next year. As good as he looks, there seems to be something about USC QB's recentley. Not saying the trend will or won't continue, but after looking at guys like Sanchez, Leinart etc, I'd be a bit gun shy. Never mind the fact that you're gonna prolly need to post a 2-14 or worse record to land him. So far he seems to be the consensus #1 next year.
I honestly think Geno may very well be the best of those 3 when all is said and done, much the same way I felt that Big Ben might be the best of those 3. He's a decent bit taller then RGIII (I don't buy that he's actually 6'2) and just as mobile with a touch better accuracy... though throwing to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey may have something to do with the last part.

Old
03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
"Finnish Hot Tubs"

"Wow, Look at that Hat!"

"The Canes are in Winnipeg today to play the Atlanta Thrashers."

And HE went to HARVARD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Wasn't aware that an announcer's (someone paid to draw in viewers w/ his commentary) opinion = fact.

Also, what Dubinchuk said.
Yes, because Tripp is comparable to announcers who call significant NCAABB games in March for ESPN.

Closed Thread