HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge V: The Empire Strikes Back

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 1505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
.....why?

Drop in games are terrible (at least on xbox live, I've never played them on PSN). I suggest you find your own team to play on with people who you can learn the tendencies of and all that.
Because I've owned every NHL game since 08 (skipped 07, but 06 was fun), and until now I'd exclusively played Be a GM/Franchise mode offline. I discovered EASHL about two weeks ago, so I'm still sort of getting the feel for everything. I'm a pretty decent defenseman, but in my only career game as a goaltender I let in 12 goals, 11 to the same guy. So yeah, I just need to practice a bit more before I actually request to join a team...

However, so far it hasn't been bad. Aside from the fact that skill levels/overall stats are drastically different from player to player, and every once in awhile you get an 11-year-old kid on a headset that won't stop singing Bieber or something, the competition isn't horrible and not as many people quit as you might think.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:29 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

vCash: 500
Yea we definitely need a rematch shutdown.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:36 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Because I've owned every NHL game since 08 (skipped 07, but 06 was fun), and until now I'd exclusively played Be a GM/Franchise mode offline. I discovered EASHL about two weeks ago, so I'm still sort of getting the feel for everything. I'm a pretty decent defenseman, but in my only career game as a goaltender I let in 12 goals, 11 to the same guy. So yeah, I just need to practice a bit more before I actually request to join a team...

However, so far it hasn't been bad. Aside from the fact that skill levels/overall stats are drastically different from player to player, and every once in awhile you get an 11-year-old kid on a headset that won't stop singing Bieber or something, the competition isn't horrible and not as many people quit as you might think.
It's not the quitting that I have a problem with. It's everybody refusing to come backcheck when playing forward, or refusing to actually play defense as a defenseman. That, along with the fact that people will always hog the puck in a drop-in game.

As far as joining a team goes, do you know anybody else who has NHL12 on PSN that you could create a team with? My team is guys I somewhat know from xbox live, rather than joining some random person's team. You only really need one other person, and it will almost always match you up in 2vs2 games. If you're decent enough at defense, go ahead and give that a try. If not, you can always slide use a forward. It doesn't sound like being a goatlender is your thing, though. (Yes, that was intentional.)

EDIT: I've had NHL games since 08(except 09). I've never really tried with Be a GM because it almost always gets to the point where every other GM hates me. They always propose garbage trades my way, while refusing to accept any trades that make logical sense.

Old
02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
It's not the quitting that I have a problem with. It's everybody refusing to come backcheck when playing forward, or refusing to actually play defense as a defenseman. That, along with the fact that people will always hog the puck in a drop-in game.

As far as joining a team goes, do you know anybody else who has NHL12 on PSN that you could create a team with? My team is guys I somewhat know from xbox live, rather than joining some random person's team. You only really need one other person, and it will almost always match you up in 2vs2 games. If you're decent enough at defense, go ahead and give that a try. If not, you can always slide use a forward. It doesn't sound like being a goatlender is your thing, though. (Yes, that was intentional.)

EDIT: I've had NHL games since 08(except 09). I've never really tried with Be a GM because it almost always gets to the point where every other GM hates me. They always propose garbage trades my way, while refusing to accept any trades that make logical sense.
Nah all my friends that have a PS3 prefer FIFA (it's not like I can blame them).

As far as Be a GM is concerned, that was the main offline mode they worked on this year. They worked on the realism of the trades (no, computer, I don't want 3 middling goaltender prospects for Tuomo Ruutu, I currently have Cam Ward), and overall the experience is much better. They even (finally) added retired jersey numbers this year...

Old
02-24-2012, 10:31 AM
SCanedinavian

Who wants to volunteer to send me Highland Brewing Company beers? I'm almost through my limited supply I brought back to England after being over there in October and the prospect of finishing them all have me quite upset.

On a more off topical note, I played a lot of TF2 but lately its been feeling too cluttered with the amount of new weapons and stuff. And I play a bit of SW TOR atm, but not sure for how long, the in-game world just feels so dead.

Old
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I love drop-in games. I really enjoy playing D and blowing up puck hogs.

It's what I wish real-life pickup hockey was like.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:38 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
I just made the world's worst impulse buy.

LeBron James Abbotsford Heat jersey.

Discuss?

Old
02-24-2012, 11:22 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

You are right. That IS the world's worst impulse buy.

Could Lebron play basketball ANY further away from Abbotsford? Me thinks no...

Old
02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Well, St. Baldrick's for me today everybody.

Time to have my ~7 months' worth of hair shaved off...

Old
02-25-2012, 09:10 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Did that for the 2nd straight year on Thursday. Only lost about a month's worth of hair though

Old
02-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Did that for the 2nd straight year on Thursday. Only lost about a month's worth of hair though
That was my third year doing St. Baldrick's. Each year I've grown my hair out longer yet raised less money than the year before.

At least it was not freezing cold the day of the event like it was the past two years.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Dunk contest the worst since 2010.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:14 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquin001 on Ice View Post
How fitting. The NBA = the worst sports league since 1946.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:22 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

Quote:
In that case I'm glad I missed it.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
In that case I'm glad I missed it.
It would have been at least tolerable if every player didn't take 3 or more attempts at each dunk. Completely kills any sort of excitement or momentum.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Really? It wasn't that bad. George's dunk over Hibbert, Evans' two ball and Budinger's blindfold were better than all four of Griffin's dunks last year.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Really? It wasn't that bad. George's dunk over Hibbert, Evans' two ball and Budinger's blindfold were better than all four of Griffin's dunks last year.

IMO Derozan, Ibaka and McGee >>> The guys this year. Agree that Griffin sucked.

I thought the best dunks this year ware Williams off the side of the backboard, Evans 2 ball and the glow in the dark one.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
IMO Derozan, Ibaka and McGee >>> The guys this year. Agree that Griffin sucked.

I thought the best dunks this year ware Williams off the side of the backboard, Evans 2 ball and the glow in the dark one.
The NBA should force the likes of LeBron to do it next year.

LeBron, Iguodala, Wall and Rose. That would be entertaining.

Old
02-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Aquin001 on Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
The NBA should force the likes of LeBron to do it next year.

LeBron, Iguodala, Wall and Rose. That would be entertaining.

Yes!! Throw Westbrook in there and it would be perfect!

I also give this year's contest credit for not being so props reliant. Sure D-Will jumped a 3 foot motorcycle, but he also added a sick windmill to make it less redundant.

Old
02-26-2012, 02:40 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Now why can't Walcott play like that all the time? So frustrating.

Old
02-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Carolinas Identity
This is ARRGH State!

vCash: 50
I'm just glad they got four young stars who actually tried to compete, I'd take that any day over Blake or LeBron being forced to be there. One guy I'd have LOVED to see there yesterday tho, was Vince Carter. Dude is 35, but I bet he's still got one or two tricks up his sleeve.

Of course, I think we can all agree, the best dunk contest was 1996 when Brent Barry did this:

How awesome is Brent Barry you may ask, so awesome, that he does this after he hits his threes:

In his honour, I crip walk back down the court after I hit threes in my rec league

Old
02-26-2012, 07:03 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

I know you guys are all upset about the postponing of the Daytona 500. Come on now, let it out.

Old
02-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I'm a Nascar fan and I don't really care... i can still watch Monday... but I no longer have a favorite driver...since wallace retired so it's been weird for me..

Old
02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Has anyone else ever been to Rock on the Range out in Columbus? I'll be going again this year after attending in both 2009 and 2010.

If not, what's the best concert you've even been to?

I figured I'd get this thread active again with a new topic after the video game, school, and favorite book topics cleared out.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Act of Valor was pretty good. Not much in the way of acting (which is probably to be expected when the actors are supposedly real life Navy SEALS), but the action scenes were well-done and the ending was really powerful.

Closed Thread