HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge V: The Empire Strikes Back

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2012, 08:14 PM
rusty28539

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
Has anyone else ever been to Rock on the Range out in Columbus? I'll be going again this year after attending in both 2009 and 2010.

If not, what's the best concert you've even been to?

I figured I'd get this thread active again with a new topic after the video game, school, and favorite book topics cleared out.
I went and saw Kiss the last time they came to Raleigh.

Best.Concert.Ever.

Old
02-28-2012, 08:27 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Jack's Mannequin at some awesome outdoor venue in some Wilmington park.

Old
02-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4205
Only 299 days until Christmas!!!

Old
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonCaniac View Post
Has anyone else ever been to Rock on the Range out in Columbus? I'll be going again this year after attending in both 2009 and 2010.

I figured I'd get this thread active again with a new topic after the video game, school, and favorite book topics cleared out.
U2 when they played Carter-Finlay. Muse was a great opening act for them and it was just an awesome concert.

Old
03-01-2012, 09:54 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
U2 when they played Carter-Finlay. Muse was a great opening act for them and it was just an awesome concert.
Seconded. U2 put on a fabulous show here.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:04 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
I'll third that one, fantastic concert.

Fall Fest at WVU the first year of it was actually pretty sweet. 311 and Wyclef Jean. Not necessarily my favorite band but they put on one hell of a show.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Oh this is tough.

I saw Arcade Fire play the Cradle in January 2005 and that was a pretty magical night and a really intense show. It's great to see how popular they have become but at the same time is kind of a bummer that I won't see them in that small club atmosphere again. I saw them play the two NC shows for Obama in 2008 with Superchunk and those were pretty memorable as well.

I've seen the Polyphonic Spree twice and it was two of the most joyous nights I've ever experienced. They really play every show like it is their last.

Regina Spektor played at Duke Chapel a few years ago and it was one of the more memorable shows I've seen because she had a horrible case of vertigo and ended up having to be carried off stage. Then, after a long break, they carried her back on stage and sat her down at the piano where she finished her set and did an encore.

The Ben Folds Five reunion show in 2008 was pretty massive as well just because they had not played in 10 years and at that point there was no indication that they would necessarily ever do it again.

Other shows that had a lot of personal meaning to me were seeing Weezer play Pinkerton in its entirety in 2010, even though they are a shell of their former selves it's my favorite album of all time. Then, last November, I had front row seats to see Jeff Mangum play in Jersey City; a very surreal experience that I never thought I would get to have.

Lately, I can't get enough of Titus Andronicus. They are one of the best live bands I have ever seen.

03-01-2012, 10:31 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I haven't been to too many concerts, but I caught the Foo Fighters in Charlotte this past November. Easily the best I've been to.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:37 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
I haven't been to too many concerts, but I caught the Foo Fighters in Charlotte this past November. Easily the best I've been to.
I wish they had come to Raleigh

Old
03-01-2012, 11:21 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I wish they had come to Gboro so I wouldn't have had to burn the day off. Wonder why RHCP was going to hit all 3 and the Foo just did Charlotte.

And speaking of RHCP, I was thinking of going to it but was unsure. They're getting old and I'm not sure how they'd be live.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Anton Dubinchuk
Danny Markov

vCash: 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
Lately, I can't get enough of Titus Andronicus. They are one of the best live bands I have ever seen.
Absolutely obsessed with these guys. Haven't seen them live yet, but both their albums are regulars on my typical car playlist.

The Monitor is the greatest road trip album of all-time.

On a related note, a certainly more well-known band, but those of you who don't listen to The Hold Steady absolutely have to. Craig Finn, the lead singer (actually lent his voice to the quote at the end of "A Pot in Which to Piss" in "The Monitor"), is the best lyricist out there right now, and their sound is amazing. Finn just came out with a solo album and is coming to the Cradle on Saturday, I'd be going if I didn't have Canes tix.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Favorite concert was Muse/Metric in October 2010.

Muse is the best live band in the world. I am right, you are wrong, you know nothing about music.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

went to a free hip hop concert lol.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Boom Boom Anton

AC/DC was good in terms of large venues. But I'm biased towards more classic rock bands.

I actually prefer going to smaller venues with less well known bands. For me, those are much better concerts than ones at the RBC, Greensboro, etc. The Lincoln Theatre, Cat's Cradle, The Artcenter in Carborro, and the Pour House all have some fantastic bands in small settings.

A surprisingly good one was Los Lonely Boys in Carborro. I was not a fan of them at all, but went with a friend who had a spare ticket and they were surprisingly good.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:56 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
Coldplay is the best live band in the world. I am right, you are wrong, you know nothing about music.
Fixed.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
Fixed.
No, Shutdown Sutter was correct before.

Although I've never seen Muse live, they are the best live band out there right now.

In fact, I was almost willing to pay massive amounts of money for two days of Lollapalooza to see just Foo Fighters and Muse. But then I realized it was sold out when I checked, and gave up on that idea.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
Stop bringing this up already. Each day I almost regret going to take that engineering exam instead of buying tickets to go to that concert.

Quote:
I wish they had come to Raleigh
If only they'd come to Littlejohn Coliseum...
But no, we've had Chevelle(Who I've seen three times, about to see a fourth so I passed on those tickets) and Evanescence(no thank you) this year at Littlejohn.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I was literally the first person on the red carpet to walk through the door on opening night at Time Warner Arena in Charlotte to see the Rolling Stones. That was a pretty unforgettable show.

Saw the Goo Goo Dolls before they went soft, at Tremont Music Hall. Those who been there know how small that place is.

I don't know how many of y'all know Derrick Trucks, but I saw him play a frat party with such a small crowd that I was able to just walk right up to the stage and stand in front of him while he jammed.

Probably the best so far: I saw C&C Music Factory at a festival, and their backing tape broke in the middle of a song

Old
03-01-2012, 04:03 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

I'm going to see Roger Waters' The Wall in June... that should be good.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Absolutely obsessed with these guys. Haven't seen them live yet, but both their albums are regulars on my typical car playlist.

The Monitor is the greatest road trip album of all-time.

On a related note, a certainly more well-known band, but those of you who don't listen to The Hold Steady absolutely have to. Craig Finn, the lead singer (actually lent his voice to the quote at the end of "A Pot in Which to Piss" in "The Monitor"), is the best lyricist out there right now, and their sound is amazing. Finn just came out with a solo album and is coming to the Cradle on Saturday, I'd be going if I didn't have Canes tix.
I don't think I've ever seen a band more than three times, but I've seen Titus three times in the last year! Living in Jersey certainly doesn't hurt for that. I saw them at a high school charity show at a VFW in the middle of suburban Jersey which was just flat out bizarre, saw them open for Okkervil River in Philadelphia and saw them at a festival at South Street Seaport in NYC. All amazing performances, and I have tickets to see them twice again in the next couple of months haha.

I think their first album is extremely under appreciated ("Arms Without Atrophy" one of my favorite songs of theirs), and The Monitor is one of the best albums I've heard in years. Excited for their new one that they are working on.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:14 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Some part of me wants to see these guys live sometime:

Also bands I wish I could have seen live that are no longer together:

The Smashing Pumpkins
Ben Folds Five
Morphine
The Beatles
The Who (as in the original lineup. Ringo's son isn't a bad drummer, but he's not Keith Moon)

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 03-01-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Some part of me wants to see these guys live sometime:

You want to go see Anton play?

Old
03-01-2012, 04:17 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
I'm going to see Roger Waters' The Wall in June... that should be good.
Same here. Looking forward to it.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Only concert I've ever been too was when Nas/Mobb Deep came to Providence a couple years ago.

Not big into concerts.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Sens1Canes2

Wow. I've never even heard of the bands y'all are talking about...except the FF. I once used to keep up with music, but now find myself listening to ESPN Radio in the car. Or 90s on 9. Or Adam and Joe, just to hear how retarded they are when it comes to talking hockey.

Closed Thread