HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antoine Vermette to PHX for '12 2nd (OTT), '13 Cond 4th, G Curtis McElhinney

Old
02-22-2012, 04:39 PM
BluejacketNut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Eventually the blind squirrel will find a nut. Maybe we just need quantity. More darts at the dart board.
Or a smaller board Didnt they say when Howson came in he had a board with every teams players and depth or something like that? Apparently that hasnt worked out so well

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:39 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
6th rounds can be top guys if scouted and developed properly (obviously key example is Datsyuk). Those not overly excited about a 2nd round pick dont have much faith, nor should they, that this front office will be able to use wisely.
Yeah, yeah, yeah... Vote of no confidence. We got it. No reason to keep talking about it over and over.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Or a smaller board Didnt they say when Howson came in he had a board with every teams players and depth or something like that? Apparently that hasnt worked out so well
They did? Maybe that was just me saying that he probably had that.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:41 PM
phishstu

vCash: 127
mcQUaid has played more than 150...just sayin.

phishstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by phishstu View Post
mcQUaid has played more than 150...just sayin.
Not yet. 138.

Old
02-22-2012, 04:50 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
heck, on that basis we should probably give up our #1 also-
We've tried that before!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

I like it

CBJWennberg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650X2 View Post
He has been talking about Vermette or Brassard being moved for months now...

It is not exactly like Vermette is the prize of the trade deadline either.
I realize that but it could be him speculating. I could of told you Vermette may be moved. Doesnt mean I have inside information or sources. He just seems to reiterate whatever the TSN guys break.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:24 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
6th rounds can be top guys if scouted and developed properly (obviously key example is Datsyuk). Those not overly excited about a 2nd round pick dont have much faith, nor should they, that this front office will be able to use wisely.
How are Dalton Smith, Petr Straka, and Kevin Lynch doing by the way?

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:29 PM
BK201

as an Ottawa fan we picked up McElhinney as a back up last year off waiver for the last part of our season and he actually played really well for us. i was kinda surprised we didn't resign him for under a million instead of Auld who we have now.

he wasn't a starter but he for sure shut down tampa twice last year and tampa was pretty good last year

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

I don't like this at all. Basically we got nothing for him. I would have liked to see Vermy on a third line here, but I realize his cap hit was too high for that role.

If Howson figures out a way to get us a guy with similar ability, with way less of a cap hit for our third line then fine. But I have no confidence in him doing that.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I don't like this at all. Basically we got nothing for him. I would have liked to see Vermy on a third line here, but I realize his cap hit was too high for that role.
We got 3.75 million to spend on somebody who could contribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
If Howson figures out a way to get us a guy with similar ability, with way less of a cap hit for our third line then fine. But I have no confidence in him doing that.
already found. Mark Letestu says "Hi"

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:38 PM
jacks johnson

Jury is still out, but pretty sure Boone Jenner was second rounder, Cam Atkinson was 6th rounder, and David Savard was a 4th rounder. I will take all the picks we can at this point, we shed major salary for a player that is a shell of himself, heck maybe we draft 2 young goalies for the future. Good job by Howson/Patrick

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:44 PM
JacketsFanWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
How are Dalton Smith, Petr Straka, and Kevin Lynch doing by the way?
Goloubef, Weber and Jenner have a chance to pan out, but yikes do the Jackets have some bad 2nd round picks.

I'd rather they can package some picks and get another 1st rounder. This draft should have good depth with defensemen and top goalies might still be around in the late 1st round.

It is strange how much better the Jackets seem to drafting later in the draft than in the 2nd round. Who would have ever thought Lennart Petrell would end up the forward with the best NHL career from the 2004 CBJ draft class?

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
FormerRedwingFan
Sarcastic User Name

I don't like this move at all, first step is clear out the front office then start trading. It makes no sense to let these incompetent boobs make trades and then bring in a new GM who now has less assets to work with. This organization needs an enema in the front office

On the upside its nice to not see Vermette lumbering around the ice anymore accomplishing little to no for 3.5mill

Last edited by FormerRedwingFan: 02-22-2012 at 05:54 PM.
FormerRedwingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
SuperGenius
For Duty & Humanity!

Everyone has bad picks in every round. Whether the 2nd works out or not really doesn't matter...its another asset.

Having time to think about it, I guess I'm more ok than I was with this being a pure salary dump, but I figured we could get a little more. I do have enough faith in Howson to know that he wasn't likely to take this offer unless it was the best he thought he could get. Vermette was made expendable by not seperating himself from all the other third line centers we have. Letestu has performed fairly well, Brassard has had a resurgence and DMac fits the 4 role pretty well. It will be interesting to see how we shake out up the middle as time goes.

One thing I don't necessarily agree with is that this is the beginning of the nuclear option....I think vermette's days have been numbered for some time given his production and salary. I still wonder what may have been if we could've gotten Antropov...

SuperGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
jacketsinDC

i like it. think a 1st would be too much for howson (no one likes getting taken advantage of by a boob)

he should focus on people not named carter/brass/johansen next though...

Last edited by jacketsinDC: 02-22-2012 at 06:02 PM.
jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:57 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiring Minds View Post
(pop. pop. pop, pop, pop, pop....)

Anybody seen Cougar?

(munch, munch, munch)
I just got home. LOL

So Vermette is bound for Phoenix? Good for him. I hope he enjoys success and warmer weather. I like Phoenix. They will be a good change of pace.

To the Phoenix fan: Vermette is a good player. You will like him. He has playoff experience and is good in the circle. He hustles too. Should be a 45-50 point guy. More from Twitter:

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline
C Antoine Vermette ends his #CBJ career with 61-91-152 in 241 games. He's 7th on franchise list in goals, 6th in points, (t) 9th in assists.

To those of you dreaming of Weber: Put down the booze or wake up. Ain't gonna happen.

To Antoine Vermette:

Merci beaucoup pour toute l'excitation de votre jeu apporté aux Blue Jackets de Columbus. Nous vous apprécions et nous vous souhaitons le meilleur, toujours, dans tout ce que vous faites.

Last edited by CBJCougar: 02-22-2012 at 06:04 PM.
CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 05:58 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
first of many

What picks do you guys have now for this coming draft?

02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
What picks do you guys have now for this coming draft?
I believe right now we have our own picks in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and 7th rounds and now Ottawa's 2nd.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:25 PM
phishstu

vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not yet. 138.
We don't count playoff games?

phishstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
jacketsinDC

i wonder if this trade will up howson's boob rating and mean there's even less coming back for nash/carter. it would be worth firing him just so other teams weren't expecting to rip off the great boob of columbus.

jacketsinDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:44 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Vermette has 8 goals this year ... how much are we really going to miss him?

Second round picks turn into great players all the time ... just because we haven't had much success in the past, doesn't mean we can't ever. Especially with competent management (ie Craig Patrick) running the team. Since 2000, a look at some guys who were taken in the second round:

2000: Nick Schultz, Brad Winchester, Andy Hilbert, Tomas Kopecky, Kurtis Foster, Matt Pettinger, Ilya Bryzgalov, Jarret Stoll, Andreas Lilja, Antoine Vermette, Dan Ellis, Paul Martin
2001: Derek Roy, Tim Jackman (hey ... he became an NHLer on some level), Fedor Tyutin, Michael Cammalleri, Chris Thorburn, Jason Pominville
2002: Jeff Deslauriers, Jarret Stoll (again), Josh Harding, Trevor Daley, Matt Greene, Duncan Keith, Matt Stajan, Jiri Hudler, Johnny Boychuk, Tomas Fleischmann
2003: Loui Ericksson, Kevin Klein, Patrice Bergeron, Matt Carle, Shea Weber, Corey Crawford, Max Lapierre, David Backes, Jimmy Howard
2004: Dave Bolland, David Booth, Niklas Grossman, Brandon Dubinsky, Alex Goligoski, David Krecji
2005: James Neal, Marc-Eduard Vlasic, Ondrej Pavelec, Justin Abdelkader, Paul Stastny, Guillaume Latendresse, Mason Raymond, Adam McQuaid (yeah, he was ours)
2006: Michal Neuvirth, Jamie McGinn, Nikolai Kulemin, Jeff Petry, Jhonas Enroth, Milan Lucic, Artem Anisimov, Blake Geoffrion, Jamie McBain

I'll stop there ... the point is that, even though we typically aren't coming away with solid players in the second round, a lot of teams are. Notably, look at all of those guys who played for the Boston Bruins last year when they won the cup. Boychuk, Bergeron, Krecji, McQuaid, and Lucic were all on that list, and all played various roles for the B's en route to their Cup win.

In essence, our second round pick could very well turn into a gem, just like any first round pick we've had over the years. With proper scouting and prospect management, there's no reason we couldn't do great things with added assets like this.

In my opinion, our lack of draft/development competency is our biggest glaring problem over all of the years in the league. Imagine how much different things would be, for example, if we drafted guys like Duncan Keith or Shea Weber in the second round of the draft.

Or, at least look at it as: More picks means better odds, or at least thins out the talent other teams can choose from

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:46 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
first of many

Plus, you could package your#2 and the Phoenix #2 to move back into the late first round.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone

Well, time to cheer for Washington tonight against Ottawa. Got to improve the position of this draft pick!

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote