HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

"Aww, that's Nash-ty." Nash Rumors Part V: McKenzie says down to Rangers/Sharks

Closed Thread

Old
02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Affinity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
So you're partially against this trade because you don't want a multi-millionaire going to a bad team in the midwest? Are you serious?
No... I'm against the deal because I don't want Nash and his cap hit..

Old
02-22-2012, 02:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Brandon Dubinsky
JT Miller
Christian Thomas
1st round pick(12)

for

Rick Nash
2nd round pick(12)

Columbus gets a NHL roster player whom they have reportedly coveted for a while
Two good prospects in Miller(1st round pick)and Thomas(2nd round pick)
1st round pick in June,they essentially move up from their 2nd round pick. It costs a 2nd to move up.

Rangers get Nash and a 2nd.

Sather got FLA to give him their 2nd in 2002 when he traded the #1 to FLA for Pavel Bure.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ar-return.html

Take out Kreider and put in Thomas(40th pick overall in 2010) and #1 Pick
If the Rangers can make the cap situation work, keeping Stepan, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Lundqvist, Callahan, Kreider, Erixon, McIlrath when they're due new contracts....

Then im on board with this deal.

Im not, however, if they have to lose any of the players I listed above.

There's no doubt Nash puts this team over the top, but, it has to be done smartly.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Boring day... Yawn.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Sorry, but in the sports world, this is done ALL THE TIME.

When you are weighing the opportunity of winning today and tomorrow against a cap problem that may or may not exist in 2-3 years, more often than not, the larger market teams WILL err on the side of trying to win today and tomorrow.

To think that this is new to some of you is shocking.

Cap-ologists manage the cap this year with an eye towards next. They have their hands full doing that. Asking themt o predict what our cap situation would look like 3 seasons out is not realistic.
The famous expression "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" comes to mind. We're first place THIS YEAR, how do we know where we'll be next year even, much less 2 or 3 years from now. Tampa went from 4th or 5th in the east and losing by 1 in the conference finals to being out of the playoff picture. Granted Roloson went down hill. That team would be a fringe playoff team at best even with Lundqvist this year.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:35 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Brandon Dubinsky
JT Miller
Christian Thomas
1st round pick(12)

for

Rick Nash
2nd round pick(12)

Columbus gets a NHL roster player whom they have reportedly coveted for a while
Two good prospects in Miller(1st round pick)and Thomas(2nd round pick)
1st round pick in June,they essentially move up from their 2nd round pick. It costs a 2nd to move up.

Rangers get Nash and a 2nd.

Sather got FLA to give him their 2nd in 2002 when he traded the #1 to FLA for Pavel Bure.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...ar-return.html

Take out Kreider and put in Thomas(40th pick overall in 2010) and #1 Pick
That irks the crap out of me losing Miller.

That kid is going to be a very good player.

But getting the 2nd rounder would ease that irksome feeling.

grrr. I'd do that deal. Reluctantly.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
I stand corrected.
No problem.

Quote:
Brandon Dubinsky
JT Miller
Christian Thomas
1st round pick(12)

for

Rick Nash
2nd round pick(12)...
I don't think that's realistic. There are other suitors and CBJ will want at least one D. I still think the best possible deal NYR can get is:

Dubi + McIlrath + Miller + 1st for Nash.

Maybe add Pahlsson to the deal if NYR like him for a 3rd or 4th.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:36 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
No... I'm against the deal because I don't want Nash and his cap hit..
So why are you saying "at least Dubinsky is going to Southern California"? Who gives a **** where he's going?

Old
02-22-2012, 02:40 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Absolutely. 3 more years at a 5.1M cap hit per. Give me that deal for a 30 goal scorer over Nash's 7.8M deal any day.
Carter: $5.2m, 28 goals per season... unadjusted for injury, rookie seasons... straight up 28 per year.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Affinity

Quote:
So why are you saying "at least Dubinsky is going to Southern California"? Who gives a **** where he's going?
Because he's one of my favorite players and has been a part of our core for years. I'd rather see him continue his career with a team that doesn't have a reputation for sucking their entire existence if our team goes on to win a cup. It has no bearing on my opinion of trading for Rick Nash. I do not want Nash and his cap hit, period.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:42 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
If the Rangers can make the cap situation work, keeping Stepan, Del Zotto, McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Lundqvist, Callahan, Kreider, Erixon, McIlrath when they're due new contracts....

Im not, however, if they have to lose any of the players I listed above, then im vehemently against getting Nash.

There's no doubt Nash puts this team over the top, but, it has to be done smartly.
The only real issue I could see would be in the summer of 2013. MDZ will be re-signed this summer, probably to a two or three year contract taking him to 2014 or 2015 as an RFA. McD and Stepan will both be RFA's in 2013. Callahan, Lundqvist and Girardi are signed until summer 2015 (All UFA's). Erixon would be on an ELC until summer 2015. Staal is sign until summer 2016. Kreider and McI will be on ELC's until summer 2015 as well.

Gaborik is off the books in the summer of 2015 (That's $7.5 million). Lundqvist shouldn't see much of a raise from where he is now, as he is one of the highest paid netminders in the league today. Callahan could get a couple more million. Girardi could possibly be userped by McI, Erixon, etc and COULD be expendable then. Or he could be the backbone of the Rangers D-core, where he would see a two to three million dollar raise. Boyle ($1.7 million) and Rupp ($1.4 million) also come off the books in 2015.

I really see the main problem happening in the summer of 2013, but who knows what the cap will look like then. Hell the Rangers could potentially have two Stanley Cups under their belts by then. Who knows, but I'd be extremely happy if the Rangers won those two cups haha, as would everyone here. Nash could help this team do that if they keep playing up to their current abilities and with the King in net.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esa 10 View Post
No problem.

I don't think that's realistic. There are other suitors and CBJ will want at least one D. I still think the best possible deal NYR can get is:

Id do that.

Keeping Kreider and Erixon in the system should be a priority.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:44 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

Im not, however, if they have to lose any of the players I listed above.

What has he proven? If we lose him it's not the end of the world. How much D do we need. We have Girardi, Staal, McDonagh, MDZ, Sauer, and Eirxon. Hell throw in Stralman there, he has been playing well. All 27 or younger.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:45 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
No problem.

I'd do this deal and run. We don't lose anyone of significance. I wonder if McIlrath has proven enough to be in this deal. I guess the same can be said of Miller.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:47 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

TB swapped #32 and #75 in 2009 to Detroit at #29. TB took Carter Ashton.

Division winners are seeded #25-#30 and then the final 4 teams are re-seeded #27-#30

If the season ended today,the Rangers are #28. If they don't reach the ECF,they will be #26 or higher depending upon what Detroit and VAN do. If the Rangers and the two west teams get bounced before the CF,the Rangers pick is #24. Columbus can move up from #30 or #31 based on the trade.

It will cost Columbus a 3rd to move up 3 spots based on the TB-DET deal from 09

Old
02-22-2012, 02:48 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Carter: $5.2m, 28 goals per season... unadjusted for injury, rookie seasons... straight up 28 per year.
Exactly. There's the extra scoring and we still have the cap flexibility to ensure that our core guys are re-signed a couple of years from now.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

much rather give up a combination of Dubinsky AND Anisimov with Thomas Bourque 1st over Dubinsky Kreider Miller Erixon 1st...

Old
02-22-2012, 02:51 PM
UAGoalieGuy

I think the general consensus on here is that no Ranger fan wants to give up Kreider or Erixon for Nash. I know I don't!

Old
02-22-2012, 02:52 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
I think Columbus covets Stepan/MCD/MDZ. Dubi is involved because he has to be for salary reasons - not saying he's a dump, but it's not really him that makes Columbus salivate.
Quote:
I stand corrected.
Yeah, not to dump on you, but around here we get a little distorted when it comes to value. I do it. Being a proven nhl asset trumps 95% of prospects. Dubinsky has been coveted by numerous GMs hoping to capitalize on the old Rangers' rep of selling youth for marquee names. This is the first time I have gotten the impression that Sather (since 2003) is considering moving a young guy for a star, and its for Rick Nash while we are in 1st place in February.

Old
02-22-2012, 02:54 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
I'd do this deal and run. We don't lose anyone of significance. I wonder if McIlrath has proven enough to be in this deal. I guess the same can be said of Miller.
Based upon what crystal ball have you come to this conclusion? Perhaps you meant to say we don't lose any current roster players of significance (assuming you aren't a huge Dubinsky fan.) But how can you state with any certainty that both McIlrath and Miller, and whoever we would have selected with the 1st round pick, will not be significant players for the Rangers?

Old
02-22-2012, 02:59 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
No problem.

Columbus isn't receiving the type of offers they want. There is $47.7M in real money remaining on the contract. Columbus can't have every top asset and expect a team to absorb that contract. $13.05M in real money for Dubinsky. Nearly $35M extra. This isn't major league baseball.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Columbus isn't receiving the type of offers they want. There is $47.7M in real money remaining on the contract. Columbus can't have every top asset and expect a team to absorb that contract. $13.05M in real money for Dubinsky. Nearly $35M extra. This isn't major league baseball.
That potential deal certainly works....for the Rangers.

Columbus needs defense and goaltending above all else. I dont think they take on 3 forwards, 2 of whom's NHL future is uncertain, and one that has 6 goals this year for their franchise player.

At the very least Erixon would need to be in the deal.

If its a cash dump, then perhaps its more likely, but I dont buy that either. And even if it is, theres no longterm financial problem by hanging onto Nash until the offseason and dealing him then.

Stranger things have happened, and with a team as poorly run as Columbus, anything is possible, but Dubinsky/Thomas/Miller is a brutal return for Rick Nash. Have to think it wont get done without Kreider or Erixon, at the very least.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Id do that.

Keeping Kreider and Erixon in the system should be a priority.
Quote:
So would I. Unfortunately, I think that's the best case scenario and if CBJ were willing to do it, Nash would already be a Ranger. They are probably holding firm on Kreider and Erixon as the 2 prospects in the deal at this point. Thus, the waiting game. I'm afraid it'll cost one of Erixon / Kreider to go with one of McI / Miller in the end. Hopefully Sather can add quantity to the deal like an extra 2nd, guys like Yogan / McColgan, etc. and keep both Erixon and Kreider in NY.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Columbus is simply going to wait until deadline day to trade him. Waiting until the last minute to hope one of the GMs cracks.

Old
02-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Graves94

Just curious what the rest of you guys think, but if it came down to Kreider or Hagelin, who would you include in the deal?

Old
02-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
Just curious what the rest of you guys think, but if it came down to Kreider or Hagelin, who would you include in the deal?
Hagelin, and I am one of Kreider's biggest questioners on this board.