HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

"Aww, that's Nash-ty." Nash Rumors Part V: McKenzie says down to Rangers/Sharks

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
If we can do that, this team will be top contenders for the next 5 years. At least. Probably longer.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I've come to be in the 'get-Nash' group.

But without sacrificing Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto.
Same. If Sather can get him without sacrificing too much, I've come to the conclusion that Nash will help our offense.

I also like what MSG the Place to Be Said: We're having trouble forechecking, unlike last year. If we can get our forecheck going, and keep our defense the way it is now, we'll be hard to stop.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Upgrading the 3rd line's offensive skill, without giving up too much grit, is a way that Ive been advocating since October.
The lower lines aren't the problem.

We need more top-end scoring so the lower lines are able to come on and score more.

The way the offensive structure works in hockey, is that it's supposed to have a trickle-down effect. You don't build your offense from the lower lines and up.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:22 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

My challenge to anyone who thinks Nash will not be a major difference maker for our offense:

Go to NHL.com, find his player profile. Click video in the top right. Watch all of Nash's goals on page 4. Heck watch them all, I did at work (shhh).

Not wanting him for contract or chemistry issues is 100% legit. But he will absolutely add another huge dimension to our offense.

02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Same. If Sather can get him without sacrificing too much, I've come to the conclusion that Nash will help our offense.

I also like what MSG the Place to Be Said: We're having trouble forechecking, unlike last year. If we can get our forecheck going, and keep our defense the way it is now, we'll be hard to stop.
Agree.

And Henrik is always great, but he's been legendary this year. I'm wondering what this team would be like with Nash.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
LOL excellent point, and this is not a straw man argument. It's like people think it's imperative we do SOMETHING...ANYTHING at the trade deadline, and if Nash is our best or only option, so be it.

I disagree with that thought process.

I say stay the course. The compass is pointed North. Let's keep it that way. The best days for this team are ahead of them.
I think it is imperative that we do something, but there is simply no way that Nash is the only option. Whether or not it's the best option is debatable. I've come to the point that if the deal is Dubinsky, McIlrath, Thomas, and a 1st, I'm on board. Anything more and I'm not.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
My challenge to anyone who thinks Nash will not be a major difference maker for our offense:

Go to NHL.com, find his player profile. Click video in the top right. Watch all of Nash's goals on page 4. Heck watch them all, I did at work (shhh).

Not wanting him for contract or chemistry issues is 100% legit. But he will absolutely add another huge dimension to our offense.
There's no arguing against that.

But we can't give up the guys I mentioned above, and you have to take the contract into consideration.

But, adding that extra dimension could be something.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
LOL excellent point, and this is not a straw man argument. It's like people think it's imperative we do SOMETHING...ANYTHING at the trade deadline, and if Nash is our best or only option, so be it.

I disagree with that thought process.

I say stay the course. The compass is pointed North. Let's keep it that way. The best days for this team are ahead of them.
Except that's not the thought process at all, which is exactly what makes it a straw man argument. You're arguing against a point nobody is making. I haven't seen one person advocating Nash for the sake of making a trade.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:27 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I've come to be in the 'get-Nash' group.

But without sacrificing Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh, Del Zotto.
Same here, but, add Miller to that group. Brooks confirms what my thought process was throughout. Acquiring is the last important piece they feel the need to acquire. Given all of the factors involved, between Nash, his contract, his NMC, the historical rate of return for star players in this league, plus the comments made by Schoenfeld last, I am comfortable making this deal, being that I have believed that Erxion is the negotiation point for getting a deal done. There's no guarantee that Parise signs here in the off-season and Bobby likely requires both more suitors and a higher cost to be paid. Yes, the Rangers could potentially wait to see if another goal-scorer becomes available. But, for the price potentially being, and, that both Dreger and MacKenzie are saying that Nash's choice is to come here, and not the West Coast tells me he has some idea of what's in store for him.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
sexton11

Quote:

The guy is an absolute game breaker. Those goals clearly dont happen every game, but they do happen. A few of those were in OT as well.

Imagine him playing against the 2nd checking line and 2nd pairing defence as opposed to top pairing every night? Or maybe its the GAS line getting to play against those lines? Thats the trickle down effect Coldshot just spoke of. Nash helps the entire offence.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
The Perfect Paradox
On hiatus.

vCash: 50
I've been against acquiring Nash since the rumors started, but if it will cost Dubinsky + McIlrath + Thomas + 1st than I'm going to have a hard time being disappointed.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below:Rangers' Balls

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Straw man argument...aside from a few people, the majority are not willing to empty the cupboard for him. In fact many of us have said Howson can take the deal as laid out by Brooks today and if not Sather should walk away.

Would love to hear your proposal for getting more offense.
I was very careful with my word choice, I never said "empty the cupboard" I said, "give up all these assets". I never specified which assets, but there will be multiple assets given up, which fits my words.

My proposal for getting more offense? Keep the team together. Let them get better together. Let them continue to grow together. Let Dubi get out of his goal scoring slump. Let the young guys like Anisimov develop more consistency in their games. Then I'd tell the fans to remember scoring doesn't come easy to any team in the NHL, and that we're the 12th highest scoring team in the league this year. That's actually above average if you remember there are 30 teams in the league. I know you guys are used to us having scoring problems so it's easy to fall back into that mindset, but we've actually been so in that regard.

I'll remind you that we're the best in the east. And we're the best defensive team in the east. So chill. It's a young team, this year has been great considering we should be better the next few years it only gets more exciting. That can all change if we get Nash, and very possibly for the worse. Lets do what got us here. Building from within and not giving up assets. Also lets keep the chemistry together, these guys have earned the chance to win it all together. They've earned the fans trust. Give it to them.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexton11 View Post
The guy is an absolute game breaker. Those goals clearly dont happen every game, but they do happen. A few of those were in OT as well.

Imagine him playing against the 2nd checking line and 2nd pairing defence as opposed to top pairing every night? Or maybe its the GAS line getting to play against those lines? Thats the trickle down effect Coldshot just spoke of. Nash helps the entire offence.
Yup!! It doesn't matter who you throw out there, the man is a matchup night mare.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post

We need more top-end scoring so the lower lines are able to come on and score more.

The way the offensive structure works in hockey, is that it's supposed to have a trickle-down effect. You don't build your offense from the lower lines and up.
I just completely disagree with that. Our top-6 is fine. Where we run into problems are the inevitable games, that every team in the league has, where the top-6 either gets shut down or has an off night. We don't have any third liners who pot the timely goal with anything resembling regularity. I think we can fix this problem either way. Nash would put Hagelin on the 3rd line. Upgrade. David Jones would play on our 3rd line. Upgrade. Nash is a better/bigger way of getting there. Jones is a cheaper, more cap conscientious way.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Dorado*

Remember when the KNicks couldn't win it all when MJ23 was "'retired " . I'd treat this year with eggshell head Crosby the same way .
Pitt however has MALKIN / NEAL
VAN SEDINS / Kesler
DET has 3-5 Off weapons
Bos lucic / Marchand / Seguin / krecji etc
San Jose big Joe / lil Joe / Couture
Chi TOEWS / sharp / Kane / hossa
OTT michalek / SPEZZA / Karlsson
NYR lacking one more pure offensive player . I think Nash becomes part of the future . If you can keep Kreider and sign him this deal works .

Old
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post

Exactly. For all of the Dubi-bashing, Anisimov is also down from last year. And, for as good as Hagelin's been, my opinion of him right is that he can a quality 3rd liner. Nash comes in, and right away he's the 3rd leading goal-scorer on the team.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:

Highlight videos can make anyone look good.

I'm not doubting Nash's skill. He's a great player, but just not for his cap hit. And I do not think his impact is worth the risk of chemistry issues and his contract. He's not a generational talent like a Malkin or Crosby. Of course we'd be better, but not significant enough to be worth it.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL605 View Post
Highlight videos can make anyone look good.

Agreed

Old
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Same here, but, add Miller to that group. Brooks confirms what my thought process was throughout. Acquiring is the last important piece they feel the need to acquire. Given all of the factors involved, between Nash, his contract, his NMC, the historical rate of return for star players in this league, plus the comments made by Schoenfeld last, I am comfortable making this deal, being that I have believed that Erxion is the negotiation point for getting a deal done. There's no guarantee that Parise signs here in the off-season and Bobby likely requires both more suitors and a higher cost to be paid. Yes, the Rangers could potentially wait to see if another goal-scorer becomes available. But, for the price potentially being, and, that both Dreger and MacKenzie are saying that Nash's choice is to come here, and not the West Coast tells me he has some idea of what's in store for him.
Yeah, id REALLY hate to lose Erixon. But, I keep Kreider and Miller over him 10 times out of 10.

I believe the package, from what Brooks reported, is

Dubinsky, McIlrath, Thomas, Erixon, 1st

If Columbus passes on that package, they're stupid, to be honest. That's an outstanding return taking everything into consideration. Contract, exclusive list provided by Nash, no leverage for Columbus.

That's THREE top prospects, a first round pick, and a good young roster player under contract.

San Jose isn't matching that.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post

Agreed
Wow, who is this guy and how do we get him?

Old
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Yeah, id REALLY hate to lose Erixon. But, I keep Kreider and Miller over him 10 times out of 10.

If Columbus passes on that package, they're stupid, to be honest. That's an outstanding return taking everything into consideration. Contract, exclusive list provided by Nash, no leverage for Columbus.

That's THREE top prospects, a first round pick, and a good young roster player under contract.

It won't be both. My guess is the Rangers will try to hold to Erixon, but, will end up switching him in the place of McIlrath.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Except that's not the thought process at all, which is exactly what makes it a straw man argument. You're arguing against a point nobody is making. I haven't seen one person advocating Nash for the sake of making a trade.
I'm referring to the people who are asking if we don't trade Nash, then what will we do to improve the offense. And I still disagree that it is a straw man argument.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:

Actually the deal Brooka reported was Dubinsky, McIlrath, Thomas, and a 1st.

Brooka said Howson had interest in Erixon but Sather basically has Erixon near the untouchable list.

02-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

I am warming up to the possibility of Nash coming here. The only thing that scares me is the acquisition cost and his cap hit possibly hurting the team's future.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:

I don't get the chemistry issues at all. We'll be giving up a 3rd liner. Our PK may struggle, but seriously our chemistry will struggle because we don't have a 3rd line grinder?

Closed Thread