HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke is going to be on TSN1050 at 6:00pm tonight.

Old
02-22-2012, 08:36 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Thought they covered most of it......what would you asked that they didn't?
ask about grabo, where is the grit, what are they specifically after stuff like that

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:43 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TML g u n n e R s View Post
ask about grabo, where is the grit, what are they specifically after stuff like that
Thought they were almost intimidated of Burke in the interview, truthfully not many aren't.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:06 PM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

vCash: 50
Never listened to one of his long interviews before but he's pretty entertaining, calling some in the media dirtbags and that he'd (jokingly) kill some but he wouldn't be able to get away with it. Then again the interviewers are pretty good too.

Ski Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:13 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I still think he missed putting Lombardi on the Crosby fitness and reconditioning long path to recovery. The LTIR cap saving would be in handy as well as the extra roster spot for call up
I think it was a great risk. Lombardi was a former top six with incredible speed, and his contract is under $4m for another year. Nashville had no idea whether he'd ever recover, and they had to pay him anyway. He's always been, essentially, a loss leader. Franson was effectively purchased for Lombardi's contract. And they took Lebda off our hands to boot.

Works for me!

Connolly's the only contract I have a beef with on this team. I'm not a fan of Komisarek's contract, either, but he's a great teammate at least. And I'd like to see what he can do in the playoffs if the team actually makes it.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
I think it was a great risk. Lombardi was a former top six with incredible speed, and his contract is under $4m for another year. Nashville had no idea whether he'd ever recover, and they had to pay him anyway. He's always been, essentially, a loss leader. Franson was effectively purchased for Lombardi's contract. And they took Lebda off our hands to boot.

Works for me!

Connolly's the only contract I have a beef with on this team. I'm not a fan of Komisarek's contract, either, but he's a great teammate at least. And I'd like to see what he can do in the playoffs if the team actually makes it.
Even connolly was really just an experiment. Granted, it hasn't really worked...but it's not really damaging long-term. He's definitely moveable.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Quadruple Dion

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

...Wilson not liked by media because he doesnt kiss their *****

Not contemplating coaching change. Expect to make playoffs. ...

Nah, I'm just razzing the guy & am glad he's the boss.

Quadruple Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:28 PM
IWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
Even connolly was really just an experiment. Granted, it hasn't really worked...but it's not really damaging long-term. He's definitely moveable.
Yep, anyone looking for some depth might take him on. I don't see it being too much of an issue. Maybe if we're lucky, he'll ramp up the production next year for a new contract elsewhere.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:52 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmoney67 View Post
Terrible interview by Cybulski
Not a shocker. Every interview I have ever heard with Burke was terrible. Just replay an old interview...same old crap. Nobody ever asks him any tough questions because they fear he will take his ball and go home.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

You guys are complaining about Brian Burke interviews? Seriously? He's one of the most entertaining interviews out there.

Don't you people remember John Ferguson Junior? How about Ken Dryden?

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:11 AM
hockeyfanz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
You guys are complaining about Brian Burke interviews? Seriously? He's one of the most entertaining interviews out there.

Don't you people remember John Ferguson Junior? How about Ken Dryden?
So what? JFJ and Dryden being about as entertaining as a 17 inning 1-0 baseball game does NOT make Brian Burke interesting. There is no co-relation there.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:47 AM
MattVenca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
The 2 things that you really got from this interview, is one Leafs have not made an offer for Nash and Wilson's future with the Leafs is not on strong footing, especially if he misses the playoffs.
Disagree.

"Leafs have not made an offer for Nash" - Burke said there is no firm offer on the table. If he said "how about something like Kadri, Schenn, a first and you choose a roster player" and Scott says "that's in the right ball park, let me get back to you on the roster player we would want" -- nobody would call that a "firm" offer. Doesn't mean Leafs haven't made an offer.

"Wilson's future with the Leafs is not on strong footing" - Burke clearly stated that when the players execute, they win. It's not like the team has been a basement team all year. Burke said the reason the team is losing is because they aren't keeping pucks out. He didn't guarantee the coach will be around, but the fact is fans have been thinking Wilson will be fired at the end of every season. This has been the Leafs best season yet. Why fire him now?

I think the key messages are:

1) Leafs need goaltending help. But won't do anything stupid to get it.
2) Leafs want to play at least 3 games at home in the playoffs. I.e. not just make them, but put up a fight. To me this means more muscle is required in bottom 6 and more responsbility/shot blocking required on D.

So the types of players I see coming here by deadline are Steve Ott on forward, Greg Zanon on D, and Khabibulin in G.

MattVenca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
Sam Slick*

If I was interviewing Brian Burke, I would ask 6 questions...

1-You constantly protect Ron Wilson by saying "Ronnie hasn't been given the proper players to work with", well Mr Burke, is it not YOUR job to give Wilson the players to work with? I would say you are not doing your job then because you have had 3.5 years to do this.

2- What will your excuse be if you don't make the playoffs on your last year as President and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs? Most would say you failed as a GM.

3- You say you don't want to squeak into the playoffs to get your butt kicked in the first round. Do you not think, even with 4 straight loses, that the young guys on this team would benefit from playoff experience and atmosphere?

4-Did you say that just in case you don't make the playoffs this year as a way of covering Wilsons and your own a$$es?

5- You signed Wilson to a contract extension, in your system of Meritocracy, what made you think Wilson merited a contract extension? At the time of the extension, the leafs were dead last in almost every category....except you had 2 players at the top of the league in points.

6-With the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins blueprint, how come it took them only 1 year to rebuild and it has taken you almost 4 so far? They are playoff teams and also have youth.

Feel free to pose questions as if you were the interviewer. Dontcha just wish you could sit in a room and grill Burke for an hour just to see him either squirm or spin the job he and Wilson have done thus far?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Darkhorse1280

Why are the same questions on these boards being both repeated and rephrased in new threads?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Sundinftw

I doubt you'll ever be able to ask those questions if he's ever in front of you

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
sens4life
#GotHamburger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
1-You constantly protect Ron Wilson by saying "Ronnie hasn't been given the proper players to work with", well Mr Burke, is it not YOUR job to give Wilson the players to work with? I would say you are not doing your job then because you have had 3.5 years to do this.

2- What will your excuse be if you don't make the playoffs on your last year as President and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs? Most would say you failed as a GM.

3- You say you don't want to squeak into the playoffs to get your butt kicked in the first round. Do you not think, even with 4 straight loses, that the young guys on this team would benefit from playoff experience and atmosphere?

4-Did you say that just in case you don't make the playoffs this year as a way of covering Wilsons and your own a$$es?

5- You signed Wilson to a contract extension, in your system of Meritocracy, what made you think Wilson merited a contract extension? At the time of the extension, the leafs were dead last in almost every category....except you had 2 players at the top of the league in points.

6-With the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins blueprint, how come it took them only 1 year to rebuild and it has taken you almost 4 so far? They are playoff teams and also have youth.

Feel free to pose questions as if you were the interviewer. Dontcha just wish you could sit in a room and grill Burke for an hour just to see him either squirm or spin the job he and Wilson have done thus far?
#1 isn't a question
#2 and #4 are rhetorical at best

ok sarcasm over.

For #6 - What the Sens are going through is just insane...no one predicted it, including Management and players...I think it's lightning in a bottle and also a testiment to the drafting we've had in place up until now.

Sens also have kept their draft picks and not made rush moves. Not gonna rehash Kessel, but where would the leafs be without the Kessel deal?

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Doubt the majority of this forum would ask Burke any 'tough questions' that they throw out here day by day.

Half the people on this board haven't even seen him in person. They'd probably fall under instant intimidation if they did.

02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post

OOoohhh fun!! Mine would be?

1) How do you constantly day-in and day-out put up with such immense boneheads in the media without coming out of each presser with a new assault/maslaughter charge?

2) Do you like every little fan constantly misquoting you about "I don't wanna make the playoffs"

3) Why didn't you help win the team a cup by now, ya lazy? I mean ****, you had since 1967, get movin!!!

4) Does Ron Wilson have provacative photo's of you or something?? IS he blackmailing you? Blink twice if you need me to dial 9-1-1?

5) Come on Burkie! Look at Ottawa, they're doing good! I mean **** their in 7th! Do that dumbass!

6) Do you now deteste the words pugnacity, tenacious and truculence? Does itmake you want to scream everytime you hear it now?

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post

Not gonna rehash Kessel, but where would the leafs be without the Kessel deal?
Out of a playoff position

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:22 AM
Dayjobdave

Dear Mr. Burke?

1. What's it like making $3,000,000 a year to do a job that anyone on the Internet can do for free?

2. Have you considered having a "let a fan coach the team" night at the ACC?

3. Where do you send goalies to learn how to deflect the puck into their own net, and why don't you use them on the Powerplay?

4. Who selects the music in your house?

5. If you are successful in trading away all of the Leafs draft picks one year, would you take the Scouts on a fishing trip?

6. Where does Ronny keep the pictures?

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
OOoohhh fun!! Mine would be?

1) How do you constantly day-in and day-out put up with such immense boneheads in the media without coming out of each presser with a new assault/maslaughter charge?

2) Do you like every little fan constantly misquoting you about "I don't wanna make the playoffs"

3) Why didn't you help win the team a cup by now, ya lazy? I mean ****, you had since 1967, get movin!!!

4) Does Ron Wilson have provacative photo's of you or something?? IS he blackmailing you? Blink twice if you need me to dial 9-1-1?

5) Come on Burkie! Look at Ottawa, they're doing good! I mean **** their in 7th! Do that dumbass!

6) Do you now deteste the words pugnacity, tenacious and truculence? Does itmake you want to scream everytime you hear it now?

Post of the year!!!

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

I had a chance to talk to him for like.... 3 minutes at a pre-season game in London against the Flyers, two years back.

I certainly didn't act pompous and entitled. He more or less asked me about my history as a Leafs fan, what I wanted to see from the organization moving forward, and I asked him how he deals with the day to day pressure and expectation from the fans and media.

It was quick, and he was a great guy. Signed my jersey and shook my hand. He's not as big as he looks on TV. I was actually kinda shocked to see how small he really is.

Great guy though. Couldn't imagine a better person to run the club, and be an ambassador for the organization in the community. People forget he's a human being, and yes, he makes mistakes and has flaws, but Burkie genuinely loves the city and the fans, and wants nothing more than to bring a cup home to T.O.

Sometimes I think we forget that some of these people are human, and we talk about their ego, but also neglect to understand that in order to do the job, you have to have an ego. It's just the business.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Dear Mr. Burke?

1. What's it like making $3,000,000 a year to do a job that anyone on the Internet can do for free?

2. Have you considered having a "let a fan coach the team" night at the ACC?

3. Where do you send goalies to learn how to deflect the puck into their own net, and why don't you use them on the Powerplay?

4. Who selects the music in your house?

5. If you are successful in trading away all of the Leafs draft picks one year, would you take the Scouts on a fishing trip?

6. Where does Ronny keep the pictures?

7.) Why can't you convert Phaneuf into a center?

8.) Why don't you just trade our 1st round pick for veteran help?

9.) Why aren't you trading Kadri for a 1st rounder this year.

10.) Wouldn't Rick Nash look good in the blue and white?

Any other gems that I have missed?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Pierre Gotye

One thing about Burke is his recent success or lack of it seems to skew his view of his long-term plan. I'm not entirely sure what his long term plan is.

He can say make the playoffs, win a cup, all day long. All good GM's say that.

But this team though it's been nicely overhauled still has some holes in the lineup, some obvious ones.

Goaltending has been a tricky issue for each of the last 3 seasons. Only small glimpses of good have come from it. Until the team addresses or fills the need for a #1 goalie, the Leafs are always going to be a playoff bubble team. And I am not convinced Allaire is going to make any of these current Leafs or Marlies goaltenders into reliable legitimate NHL starters.

The other issue with the team is the lack of size in the top 6 along the boards. Night in and out, aside from Kulemin the Leafs don't win a lot of battles along the boards. It creates turnovers.

If Wilson is going to continue to play barnhouse on fire hockey, he's going to need better size along the boards in the top 6.

It's easy to kick the Leafs when they're down(which unfortunately has been more of the norm lately) and praise them when they're doing well.

While I like the prospect pool, it's worth considering blow it up once, maybe twice if you can solidify a powerforward top 6 player and legitimate #1 goalie.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

11) Hey!!! Where'd Orr go???

12) Oh **** look a leaf prospect! get it!! Trade it!!

13) Do you and Nonis share and office??? Do you guys have bunkbeds for road trips??

14) Why does Cliff Fletcher look so good for his age, does he work out?

15) Why are Leaf fasn obsessed with draft picks? What do they taste like? Do they smell good?

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post

16.) Why not give grabovski, rick nash money? They are around the same number of points..

17.) WHERE THE **** IS THE truculence

18.) How about ovechkin?

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote