HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke is going to be on TSN1050 at 6:00pm tonight.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2012, 10:45 AM
  #351
TheSilencer
Registered User
 
TheSilencer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Out of a playoff position
With glarings holes still in goaltending, secondary scoring, 1c, toughness, overpaid underachieving bottom 6 players...a team that just isn't built for playoffs on Kessel's 3rd year with us. Kessel has been great without a doubt and I give him credit for that. But if we miss playoffs again and hypothetically make it next year (1 year remaining in Kessel's contract), would you still consider the trade a win? Kessel's good years are pretty much being wasted because of Burke's inability to "re-tool" or the accelerated rebuild he promised.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:47 AM
  #352
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
I had to laugh at Burke calling the media dirtbags and Leaf fans sheep to the media.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:49 AM
  #353
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
With glarings holes still in goaltending, secondary scoring, 1c, toughness, overpaid underachieving bottom 6 players...a team that just isn't built for playoffs on Kessel's 3rd year with us. Kessel has been great without a doubt and I give him credit for that. But if we miss playoffs again and hypothetically make it next year (1 year remaining in Kessel's contract), would you still consider the trade a win? Kessel's good years are pretty much being wasted because of Burke's inability to "re-tool" or the accelerated rebuild he promised.
Kessel's value years at 5M wasted on non playoff hockey.

Just wait till he either walks as a UFA to get out of Toronto or asks for 7M and the team has even difficult cap issues with the the young prospects coming on line.

The ideal time to have made post season noise would have passed by the time he is resigned.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:58 AM
  #354
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Kessel's value years at 5M wasted on non playoff hockey.

Just wait till he either walks as a UFA to get out of Toronto or asks for 7M and the team has even difficult cap issues with the the young prospects coming on line.

The ideal time to have made post season noise would have passed by the time he is resigned.
Look at the cap situation when Kessel's contract is up! Phanuef and Komisarek are bothoff the books as well. There will not be any cap trouble and if Kessel needs to be resigned he will be and at a fair value!!

Leafsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:02 AM
  #355
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I had to laugh at Burke calling the media dirtbags and Leaf fans sheep to the media.
If I was a reporter doing a story on Gatorade, would you mind it so much if I called and harassed your parents in order to get the REAL scoop on the sports drink?

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:04 AM
  #356
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I had to laugh at Burke calling the media dirtbags and Leaf fans sheep to the media.
Why don't you like Leaf fans?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
  #357
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Look at the cap situation when Kessel's contract is up! Phanuef and Komisarek are bothoff the books as well. There will not be any cap trouble and if Kessel needs to be resigned he will be and at a fair value!!
The point is the team missed a cup run with a "cheap" kessel.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
  #358
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Why don't you like Leaf fans?
I love you man!

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:16 AM
  #359
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
The point is the team missed a cup run with a "cheap" kessel.
So?

There's what, 15 teams in the league with a $7 M + player. They all continue to operate. Who cares if we make a run when Phil costs $5.4 vs $7? By the time he gets to $7, we'll be filling our bottom end with our own picks on ELC.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:21 AM
  #360
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
1-You constantly protect Ron Wilson by saying "Ronnie hasn't been given the proper players to work with", well Mr Burke, is it not YOUR job to give Wilson the players to work with? I would say you are not doing your job then because you have had 3.5 years to do this.

2- What will your excuse be if you don't make the playoffs on your last year as President and GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs? Most would say you failed as a GM.

3- You say you don't want to squeak into the playoffs to get your butt kicked in the first round. Do you not think, even with 4 straight loses, that the young guys on this team would benefit from playoff experience and atmosphere?

4-Did you say that just in case you don't make the playoffs this year as a way of covering Wilsons and your own a$$es?

5- You signed Wilson to a contract extension, in your system of Meritocracy, what made you think Wilson merited a contract extension? At the time of the extension, the leafs were dead last in almost every category....except you had 2 players at the top of the league in points.

6-With the Ottawa Senators and Boston Bruins blueprint, how come it took them only 1 year to rebuild and it has taken you almost 4 so far? They are playoff teams and also have youth.


Feel free to pose questions as if you were the interviewer. Dontcha just wish you could sit in a room and grill Burke for an hour just to see him either squirm or spin the job he and Wilson have done thus far?
Pure BS luck. Still dont get how they win.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
  #361
Darkhorse1280
Registered User
 
Darkhorse1280's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: York Region
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
Ok, when you are done with your man crush on Burke let me know.

As for the questions, those are the quesitons that Burke needs to be challanged with. Those questions are based on the mistakes he made....but all in one post.

I am sooooooo sick of this ****ing forum. No one can post a thread without some a$$ hole coming in to just pick it apart, instead of debating its points.

It was moved because one stupid ****ing poster didnt agree with it and made a comparison to anything that had the word "Burke or Wilson" in it.

It was meant to draw descussion and have a little fun with it.

Mods, how is this not an individual thread? It was posed as an "interviewer asking questions" to the poor decisions Burke has made. It is based on all the points made in here but in one post. Grow some balls and don't conform because someone is not happy with it. WTF!

Here is another thought.....if you don't like the thread or its contents, then don't ****ing reply to it!!
Keep your trap shut and move on to something else you want to put down. Go outside and breath.

Here are the facts. Burke is in his fourth year and no playoffs. Wilson has been the coach in as many years and no playoffs. Now all you Burke and Wilson posters that have so much love for these guys....go give them a bit kiss for doing such a bang up jobe.

45 ****ing years!!

How is that Burke or Wilson's fault? There weren't even here at that time (besides RW 70 plus as a D-man for the Leafs)

If your looking at someone to ***** about, why don't you blame Harold Ballard. He pretty much had a 70's Leaf team that was statistically getting better with each passing year and would of eventually been legitimate Cup Contenders only to have him completely dismantle the top line due to his self-inflated ego.
MOD


Last edited by Fugu: 02-23-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: ...
Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:26 AM
  #362
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
With glarings holes still in goaltending, secondary scoring, 1c, toughness, overpaid underachieving bottom 6 players...a team that just isn't built for playoffs on Kessel's 3rd year with us. Kessel has been great without a doubt and I give him credit for that. But if we miss playoffs again and hypothetically make it next year (1 year remaining in Kessel's contract), would you still consider the trade a win? Kessel's good years are pretty much being wasted because of Burke's inability to "re-tool" or the accelerated rebuild he promised.
This

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  #363
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Pure BS luck. Still dont get how they win.
For starters, it took Boston 6 years to get from bottom to top. For Ottawa, most of their defense and goaltending is relying on vets in their 30's. Comparatively, Toronto has had one d-man over 26 play 40 or more games and relies on 2 goalies with less than 100 games experience. Given the hockey mantra is "build from the net out", the difference shouldn't surprise people nor should the fact that our biggest struggles are of a defensive nature. Anyone surprised by that?

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:30 AM
  #364
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
How is that Burke or Wilson's fault? There weren't even here at that time (besides RW 70 plus as a D-man for the Leafs)

If your looking at someone to ***** about, why don't you blame Harold Ballard. He pretty much had a 70's Leaf team that was statistically getting better with each passing year and would of eventually been legitimate Cup Contenders only to have him completely dismantle the top line due to his self-inflated ego.
Agree with you about harold ballard years. Not blaming Burke and Wilson fro 42 of those 45 years. Just frustrated.

no one in here will be about jokes when we don't make the playoffs again.

One poster said above that ottawa was good because of "luck". Now that is laughable. How about their coach is getting the most out of his players and knows what he is doing.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
  #365
Sam Slick*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St John's NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,639
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
For starters, it took Boston 6 years to get from bottom to top. For Ottawa, most of their defense and goaltending is relying on vets in their 30's. Comparatively, Toronto has had one d-man over 26 play 40 or more games and relies on 2 goalies with less than 100 games experience. Given the hockey mantra is "build from the net out", the difference shouldn't surprise people nor should the fact that our biggest struggles are of a defensive nature. Anyone surprised by that?
I agree with most of your post except 2 years ago they went from 8th to Stanley cup the next year.

Burke pissed me off with his statement about missing the playoffs because he doesn't want to lose in 4 straight to whoever. Its a coverup in case he misses this year. The youth on this team would be happy to make the playoffs for experience alone.

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:33 AM
  #366
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post

One poster said above that ottawa was good because of "luck". Now that is laughable. How about their coach is getting the most out of his players and knows what he is doing.
Many posters have said it, including Sens fans.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:34 AM
  #367
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!
 
Leo Trollmarov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I agree with most of your post except 2 years ago they went from 8th to Stanley cup the next year.
Then we are right on track. 8th this year, cup next. The logic is undeniable.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:38 AM
  #368
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I agree with most of your post except 2 years ago they went from 8th to Stanley cup the next year.

Burke pissed me off with his statement about missing the playoffs because he doesn't want to lose in 4 straight to whoever. Its a coverup in case he misses this year. The youth on this team would be happy to make the playoffs for experience alone.
Did you hear the rest of the interview?

He also went onto say the plan was to make the playoffs this year later in the segment (or something to that degree).

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:43 AM
  #369
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Did you hear the rest of the interview?

He also went onto say the plan was to make the playoffs this year later in the segment (or something to that degree).
He said the same thing about playoffs last year - well every year as well.

In addition, he said he felt this is the first year he gave Wilson a team that could compete.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:44 AM
  #370
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
He said the same thing about playoffs last year - well every year as well.

In addition, he said he felt this is the first year he gave Wilson a team that could compete.
Yep. He has.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
  #371
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,956
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
I agree with most of your post except 2 years ago they went from 8th to Stanley cup the next year.
Sure. At the end of the day though we are in very different circumstances. At the very start of their 6 year trek they had a veteran #1 goalie (who would go on to win a Vezina and set a playoff record), a veteran #1 d-man (who would go on to win the Norris) and a veteran #1C (who was top 5 amongst centres for scoring for a substantial period). From there they mostly got to wait for picks to develop. I don't think there's been a single one of those type players come on the market since Burke took over...maybe you could argue the centres?

Even with all that in place at the start of their rebuild, Boston went 26 - 23 - 15. So far Burke has gone 24-29-22 and is currently at 16, without any of those. Tough part is, those are hard to come by. I believe that's part of the reason he is building so much depth because he knows he's likely to have to trade for some of that.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:33 PM
  #372
sens4life
CLASSLESS
 
sens4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Kanata
Posts: 1,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Many posters have said Sens are lucky, including Sens fans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Pure BS luck. Still dont get how they win.
There is an element of luck, but there's also an element of chemistry which can't be denied...coaching has been stellar, but it's always stellar when a team is winning...in this case, it can't be overlooked...

Remember, these kids won a cup in Bingo and have experience playing together. Add that to Spezza's development, Karlsson's and Michalek breaking out, along with Kuba and Gonchar playing solidly...no one saw this coming...

One things for sure - keeping draft pics and drafting well has been the backbone of this franchise.

sens4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:44 PM
  #373
birddog*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
I had to laugh at Burke calling the media dirtbags and Leaf fans sheep to the media.
Burke needs to shut up and do his job. Pretty sad when your interview skills are better than your job performance.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:55 PM
  #374
Leafsman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sens4life View Post
There is an element of luck, but there's also an element of chemistry which can't be denied...coaching has been stellar, but it's always stellar when a team is winning...in this case, it can't be overlooked...

Remember, these kids won a cup in Bingo and have experience playing together. Add that to Spezza's development, Karlsson's and Michalek breaking out, along with Kuba and Gonchar playing solidly...no one saw this coming...

One things for sure - keeping draft pics and drafting well has been the backbone of this franchise.
Funny, how there are two teams somewhat close in the standings.

One is being criticized and has a fanbase in an uproar!

The other is a model of great drafting and management, an example of expert chemistry and coaching.

Which fanbase is delusional????

Leafsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:59 PM
  #375
Gatorade*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Funny, how there are two teams somewhat close in the standings.

One is being criticized and has a fanbase in an uproar!

The other is a model of great drafting and management, an example of expert chemistry and coaching.

Which fanbase is delusional????
How about neither? Perhaps just a GM.

Gatorade* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.