HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One-year anniversary of Pegula's purchase...

Old
02-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
One-year anniversary of Pegula's purchase...

Quote:
Sabres President Ted Black and owner Terry Pegula have been in meetings inside First Niagara Center most of the day, "running the business of the franchise," Black said. Not once had they brought up the fact it is the one-year anniversary of taking over the club.

"Iíve spent the better part of the day with him, and I havenít heard him say anything even remotely along those lines," Black said by phone this afternoon.

Although plenty has happened in the last 365 days -- see the story in Thursday's Buffalo News for a full recap -- it's still Day One that is most memorable for Black.

"It really starts with Terryís speech at the opening press conference," the team president said. "I had never heard Terry speak publicly before, and I really didnít know what he was going to say. I tried to pry some of that information out of him the night before, and I really didnít get much out of him other than he said he had about 15 or 20 minutes of material. I thought why, that seems like a really long time.
Quote:
Black says the ownership group has been pretty steady through the first year, accepting the highs and the lows as they come.

"We didnít get too full of ourselves last year when the team went on a nice run and made the playoffs, didnít get too high even during the highs and lows of a seven-game series," Black said. "Thatís just more how Terry is wired and how Iím wired. Our goal is to win a Stanley Cup, and everything short of that is going to be a disappointment. Not until it happens will we celebrate."
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...p-victory.html

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:17 PM
HiddenInLight

Was kinda expecting something to be anounced today, whether it be a trade or some other announcement....

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Was kinda expecting something to be anounced today, whether it be a trade or some other announcement....
They threw us a bone a day before, and gave us Breaking News a day early.... the Sabres smartphone app.

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:10 PM
sand1138man

OK, as far as the wgr550 question as to whether or not we are closer to a stanley cup this as opposed to last year. It would be an easy yes if miller didn't have his big mental funk and we didn't get WRECKED with injuries because we'd probably be fighting for 3rd or 4th in the conference and this question wouldn't even be a question.

I truly believe that this team (healthy) can compete with any team in the league, piniand I mean this team with the exact roster it has now, they have shown that they can totally dominate when they have confidence. There are a few players who are going to play there hearts out every shift no matter what (pominville, gerbe), but a lot of players feel like its ok to start going hard when things are going well.

Basically the whole point behind that in my opinion is that we need a new environment, and the coach sets the tone for the environment that will have these players relaxed, when they stop playing timid and get into a mindset where htey are having fun then they can blow teams out as we've seen

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
OK, as far as the wgr550 question as to whether or not we are closer to a stanley cup this as opposed to last year. It would be an easy yes if miller didn't have his big mental funk and we didn't get WRECKED with injuries because we'd probably be fighting for 3rd or 4th in the
Kevin Allen of USA Today was on WGR and made a great point - simply by the change in ownership, the Sabres are closer to a Cup than before. They may not have the right roster yet on the ice but Pegula's passion and willingness to commit all of his resources to the team is a luxury few teams in any sport have.

Old
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Kevin Allen of USA Today was on WGR and made a great point - simply by the change in ownership, the Sabres are closer to a Cup than before. They may not have the right roster yet on the ice but Pegula's passion and willingness to commit all of his resources to the team is a luxury few teams in any sport have.
I fight this point in my head. One voice tries to make the point and the other voice wins out. I just can't agree with the notion that, WITHOUT RESULTS, the franchise is better off. Better off, why? It has to be because Pegula can finally shake things up, and there's zero indication that's going to happen.

Optimism about the future right now just sounds like people assuming that because Terry has several billion dollars and likes the Sabres, he knows what he's doing. Until proven otherwise, he's still the guy who one year ago yesterday told the Buffalo News that they were responsible for the quit in the team. Sorry, he just doesn't strike me as being a very sharp hockey guy.

Wake me up when anything of hockey importance is different in Sabreland.

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:23 AM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
I fight this point in my head. One voice tries to make the point and the other voice wins out. I just can't agree with the notion that, WITHOUT RESULTS, the franchise is better off. Better off, why? It has to be because Pegula can finally shake things up, and there's zero indication that's going to happen.

Optimism about the future right now just sounds like people assuming that because Terry has several billion dollars and likes the Sabres, he knows what he's doing. Until proven otherwise, he's still the guy who one year ago yesterday told the Buffalo News that they were responsible for the quit in the team. Sorry, he just doesn't strike me as being a very sharp hockey guy.

Find me the quote where he says exactly that.

Hint: he doesn't.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:32 AM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Maybe Ted Black can wake you up by ringing a couple of chimes 2 minutes before something of hockey importance becomes different.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:44 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

There is a clear indication of change. Investment in players, investment in minor league team, investment in facilities, bringing new players in..etc.... If the shake up you speak of is changing managment and that is not truly clear at this point.

I don't think that he needs to be a "very sharp hockey guy" or even holds himself out as such. Is he involved? yes. Should he be? yes. Is he overbearing or intrusive? There is no proof of that whatsoever.

I think that this trade deadline and off season will be another step in the culture of change. It does not happen overnight, particularly with a team with some flaws that need to be corrected.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Find me the quote where he says exactly that.

Hint: he doesn't.
I wasn't presenting it as an exact quote.

After saying his tennis-player daughter would quit playing is she was subjected to the kind of criticism the News gives the Sabres, he said, "Part of the quit in this team I think is coming from this room." He said it from the editorial board room of the paper.

I suppose he also didn't say: if the News would just write something positive about a player when he's slumping, it might help; Bucky's sources who offer criticism of Darcy were looking for his job (Darcy's, not Bucky's); incredulously, "What seems to be the issue with Darcy?"; never heard "one bad word" about Darcy; when asked by Jerry Sullivan if he was going to bring in a fresh set of eyes, a hockey executive to oversee Darcy, that Ted Black and Ken Sawyer were "fresh sets of eyes" on the hockey department; in defending the team not winning a playoff series in four years that Miller was hurt one of those years and Vanek was hurt in the playoffs against Boston.

As always, I can keep going if you want.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiffgiant View Post
Maybe Ted Black can wake you up by ringing a couple of chimes 2 minutes before something of hockey importance becomes different.
I'll be at the urinal, with both hands on deck!

Old
02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
I wasn't presenting it as an exact quote.

After saying his tennis-player daughter would quit playing is she was subjected to the kind of criticism the News gives the Sabres, he said, "Part of the quit in this team I think is coming from this room." He said it from the editorial board room of the paper.

I suppose he also didn't say: if the News would just write something positive about a player when he's slumping, it might help; Bucky's sources who offer criticism of Darcy were looking for his job (Darcy's, not Bucky's); incredulously, "What seems to be the issue with Darcy?"; never heard "one bad word" about Darcy; when asked by Jerry Sullivan if he was going to bring in a fresh set of eyes, a hockey executive to oversee Darcy, that Ted Black and Ken Sawyer were "fresh sets of eyes" on the hockey department; in defending the team not winning a playoff series in four years that Miller was hurt one of those years and Vanek was hurt in the playoffs against Boston.

As always, I can keep going if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66
he's still the guy who one year ago yesterday told the Buffalo News that they were responsible for the quit in the team.
Thanks.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Thanks.
Am I missing something?

Does the word "part" make it any less moronic a thing to say?

Old
02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:
Am I missing something?

Does the word "part" make it any less moronic a thing to say?
Yes.

You characterized what he said wrong. I'm pointing it out because it's a disservice to make it look worse than it was.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Folks inside the organization say despite enduring a season with more lows than highs, Pegula and his family are still as engaged as they were that first day, on which there was a coming-out party that drew legions of fans, players, alumni and media.

"I can just tell you that they haven't wavered," coach Lindy Ruff said this week. "Terry's support has been unbelievable."

Drew Stafford saw Pegula's commitment recently during one of the team's lowest points. In the midst of 12 straight losses on the road, a franchise record, the owner stopped to have a chat with the right winger.

"When we were losing those games on the road, we had that streak, I remember running into Terry and he was nothing but positive with us, telling us it will always turn around and giving us a little of that sense of optimism," Stafford said. "It was good having that extra support from him, knowing that he's got our back."
Quote:
Away from the ice, the successes in Year One outweighed the setbacks:

- Pegula made all of Western New York into Sabreland once again, purchasing the Rochester Americans to be the minor-league affiliate.

- He created a sense of nearly unmatched optimism last summer, acquiring players and handing out contracts that fans had wished for but never imagined possible.

- Pegula and his wife, Kim, transformed the team's dressing room into a veritable palace. It was the most outward example of the Pegulas showing how much they care about their players, but it was far from the only one. Ville Leino received a Buffalo CARE package when he signed with the team. Robyn Regehr got a personal visit at his cottage after accepting a trade. Derek Roy earned an open invitation to hang out while recovering from quadriceps surgery.

- The Pegulas and team President Ted Black have embraced voices from throughout the community, holding blogger summits and welcoming new media into the press box.

- The connection between the team and its alumni has been strengthened, starting with a memorable funeral ceremony for team Hall of Famer Rick Martin and continuing with a 40-year reunion in which every player in Sabres history was invited back for a celebration
Quote:
Not everything has been rose petals and rainbows. A disappointing year on the ice has shortened the honeymoon.
Quote:
Black has continually pledged support for the NHL's longest-tenured GM-coach combination. Pegula, in his last public statements in mid-January, absorbed backlash after attributing the team's woes to injuries, not lack of production.

Black said the regime has been "pretty steady" throughout the down times and criticisms. The meetings in the office Wednesday were about "running the business of the franchise," Black said. That seems to be Pegula's plan for the future, whether it's a milestone date or just another Wednesday.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle738757.ece

With regards to results on the ice - which ultimately are and should be top priority - the past year hasn't represented any improvement. Yet, the bold-faced points about off-ice changes in the past year are definitely for the better and ones past ownerships since the Knoxes would never have even considered or bothered with.

I'm as impatient and desperate to see the team win as any Sabre fan, and similarly frustrated with some of the hockey decisions (keeping Regier and some of the core players foremost among them) but the level-headed perspective I remind myself of is that the adage about Rome not being built in a day has some relevance. The boldness of Pegula's arrival and statements he and Black made were such a jolt of adrenaline for us fans compared to the void of such in years prior that it was easy to dream about them fixing everything in one fell swoop. Maybe this year would have gone better if they did trade some of their core players last summer or replaced some of the management but I'm resigned to seeing this year as a mulligan with the belief that more serious changes will be done in the offseason to make sure this kind of setback year doesn't happen again next season.

Listening to Black on WGR today, it's clear that he and Pegula aren't getting caught up in trying to correct past legacies or errors as much as they are working with a clean slate and moving forward with better results. It sounded very much that any assessment of Regier and Ruff will be judged on this year alone, rather than their body of work for the previous 14 years. While that bothers the emotional fan in me, the rational fan in me understands them taking that stance. Their goal was to win the Cup in the next 3 years yet they likely will be out of the playoffs - that's a failure I expect Pegula and Black to address seriously before next season.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
puckish66

Quote:
Yes.

You characterized what he said wrong. I'm pointing it out because it's a disservice to make it look worse than it was.
Terry doesn't need my help to make that quote look bad.

What's even worse is thinking your players quit in part because of something Jerry Sullivan wrote, and not firing the guy who built a team of mental midgets.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:37 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Nope, but you'll sure do your best to give him whatever help he needs.

The quote only looks bad if you twist and warp it to meet your agenda. As usual, mission accomplished.

To the point of the story, no, the results on the ice have not been up to snuff. However, my game experience is better, even when they suck. I also have confidence that the ownership will do what needs to be done to facilitate positive change. If that's not a franchise moving in the right direction, I don't know what is.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Quote:

What's even worse is thinking your players quit in part because of something Jerry Sullivan wrote, and not firing the guy who built a team of mental midgets.
Then don't help.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:44 AM
punkr0x

I find it hard to believe someone is making the argument that an owner who is passionate about winning it all is no better than an owner who is primarily concerned about the financial return on his investment. What, because Pegula didn't make all the right moves in his first season? He'll learn, he'll adapt and he will bring the cup to Buffalo. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone in September predicting this team would be this bad after the moves Darcy made.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:14 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
I don't think that he needs to be a "very sharp hockey guy" or even holds himself out as such. Is he involved? yes. Should he be? yes. Is he overbearing or intrusive? There is no proof of that whatsoever.
I guess I don't understand wanting your owner to be involved, but not needing him to be a sharp hockey guy.

I don't want him involved in the hockey side beyond setting the mission, hiring the best hockey people available to run the team and providing the resources. He gets credit for two out of three.

I can't get beyond the idea that you want to win a Cup in three years, then become a "championship machine" (Ted Black), and the guys who are going to get you there are Darcy and Lindy. It makes me chuckle.

But as Sabretip points out, Ted made it pretty clear he and Terry aren't interested in what's happened in the past 14 years. This is year one for Lindy and Darcy. Shouldn't be surprised given Terry's comment a year ago that he didn't care how 7-1-07 went down.

It's mind-boggling, but it is what it is.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

It was a stupid quote even before it was made more stupid.

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Clock

One-year anniversary of Pegula's purchase. Assessment: he's only owned the franchise for one year.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:07 PM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
I guess I don't understand wanting your owner to be involved, but not needing him to be a sharp hockey guy.

I don't want him involved in the hockey side beyond setting the mission, hiring the best hockey people available to run the team and providing the resources. He gets credit for two out of three.

I can't get beyond the idea that you want to win a Cup in three years, then become a "championship machine" (Ted Black), and the guys who are going to get you there are Darcy and Lindy. It makes me chuckle.

But as Sabretip points out, Ted made it pretty clear he and Terry aren't interested in what's happened in the past 14 years. This is year one for Lindy and Darcy. Shouldn't be surprised given Terry's comment a year ago that he didn't care how 7-1-07 went down.

And most here can't believe that you don't see the franchise being closer to a Cup with an owner that has hit two out of three after the previous owner hit 0 out of 3.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:45 PM
Crazy Tasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post
One-year anniversary of Pegula's purchase. Assessment: he's only owned the franchise for one year.
I cant believe he hasn't made it rain on all the devoted masses at hfboards.com.

What a bust.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:

Its his business. Literally and figuritively. Its the extent of involvement that is the only question.

One could argue that Bob Kraft is the best owner in football and he is "involved". Dan Rooney is involved. Mike Ilitch is involved. There are involved owners and there are meddlers. There is no sign that TP is a meddler ala Jerry Jones or Mark Cuban or Dan Snyder or Al Davis. Black and Regier have confirmed this in interviews.

This is a separate question from having the right people surrounding them.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote