HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should our defense look like next year?

Old
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
You mean Shea, right?

Doesn't matter as long as Lindy is not coach. IF he is, any combo will be right. What I wish they will be:

Ehroff-Myers
Regehr-Brennan
Leopold-McNabb
Weber

I would Re-sign Leopold for 3 years @ 3.5 each and trade off sekera for a center
I wouldn't. Unless that center would drastically upgrade our top 6.

I love Leo, but his production hasn't been that good, and he provides questionable defense. I wouldn't mind bringing him back for cheap, but I'd prefer to give the kids some time up here.

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Hope...

Suter-Myers
Regehr-Ehrhoff
Sekera-B.Allen
x Weber
(With McNabb pushing)

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:21 AM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
You mean Shea, right?
Yes, that's why I used the .

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I would love to land Suter. If he's not re-signed by Nashville, I'm pretty sure we'd be in competition with half the League for him, in terms of realistically offering him enough to sign him. We'd be competing with the likes of BOS, DET, MTL, NYR, PHI, SJS, and TOR at the very least, plus all the dark horses. But imagine Suter, Myers, and Ehrhoff all locked up long-term. Good God.

I see it looking almost the same, unfortunately. Maybe add a bottom-pairing guy in free agency, like a Carkner as some mentioned, and that'd be it. I'm excited for McNabb though.

Ideally though, if we can upgrade on offense by trading Sekera or Leopold, I think I'd like it. Sekera's a guy I think would bring something nice back. Whether it be in a Carter deal or something else, I'd give it a long look if I were Darcy. We could always replace a traded defenseman with someone not Suter-esque but not shabby either, in free agency. Someone like Allen, Oduya, or Colaiacovo (rumor has it we tried getting him at the deadline two years ago).

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:11 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghills23 View Post
I'm not ready to get rid of Regehr so fast.

That front 4 is missing a big physical aspect.
I'm worried that Regehr in 2012-13 looks a lot like Rivet in his final season as a Sabre.

But, I do agree that getting Ehrhoff a physical partner would be nice.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
So you haven't been watching the Sabres play nightly, I see.
Actually, I just think it is a funny nick name.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:29 PM
Nibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
I'm worried that Regehr in 2012-13 looks a lot like Rivet in his final season as a Sabre.

But, I do agree that getting Ehrhoff a physical partner would be nice.
Hopefully we don't see that... You could kind of see signs of Rivet's decline in the previous year.

Regher is not connecting on as many hits as he used to, and he probably lost a step. But I don't think any problems he's having are as noticeable as Rivet's.

Regher seems like he plays angles better than Rivet did because he doesn't get burned nearly as much, so based I that I think he will be fine for us for 1 more season. I hope I'm right because I think he could be a force for us in the playoffs with the same kind of physical impact that Grier gave us.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:40 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahrahguy View Post
Hopefully we don't see that... You could kind of see signs of Rivet's decline in the previous year.

Regher is not connecting on as many hits as he used to, and he probably lost a step. But I don't think any problems he's having are as noticeable as Rivet's.

Regher seems like he plays angles better than Rivet did because he doesn't get burned nearly as much, so based I that I think he will be fine for us for 1 more season. I hope I'm right because I think he could be a force for us in the playoffs with the same kind of physical impact that Grier gave us.
The big thing with Regehr that worries me is that he's on pace to have his first - season since 02-03.

And he has looked a step slower than I remember him being prior to coming here. Maybe this is a fluke and he'll be better after having been acclimated to Buffalo more.

But, I just have this nagging feeling that it might get worse and not better when he has more miles on the odometer.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:56 PM
nivek
Rookie User

Nicklas Lidstrom - Shea Weber
Duncan Keith - Brent Seabrook
Douglas Murray - Niklas Kronwall
Mike Weber

That's how it should look like....

What I would try:

Brayden McNabb - Tyler Myers
Christian Ehrhoff - Andrej Sekera
Robyn Regehr - Cory Sarich (one-year deal)
Mike Weber

- The team non-tenders Gragnani (or trades him at the deadline)
- Leopold is traded (since we already have players similar to him in the pipeline)
- I'd be for Brennan in the top six and Drew Schiestel as the number seven if we got a good deal for Sekera
- Mark Pysyk would receive a look
- A Regehr-Sarich paring would give you fifteen to seventeen minutes of solid defense a night.
- Yes, McNabb is paired with Myers.

Last edited by nivek: 02-23-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: I literally forgot about Regehr. oooof
nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:24 PM
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishire View Post
I wouldn't. Unless that center would drastically upgrade our top 6.

I love Leo, but his production hasn't been that good, and he provides questionable defense. I wouldn't mind bringing him back for cheap, but I'd prefer to give the kids some time up here.
I really like Leopold on this team. I think that his defensive play has been stable, he's not physical, but a push over, and he's been consistent offensively. He had career numbers last year and finished tied for 10th in goals for a defensemen. He's currently tied for 11th in goals for a defensemen. His assists are behind last years pace.

Unless they replace him with another offensive defensemen, the team would miss his goal support.

That being said, I'd be open to trading him if it meant getting a center that could help the forwards on this team score more than 2 goals in a typical game.

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote