HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-26-2012, 08:10 AM
  #326
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Better goaltenders than Cheevers at this point? It was down to him and one other guy for me, and it was tight. But it was just the two of them.
To each his own. I've never been much of a Cheevers fan.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 08:12 AM
  #327
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez View Post
I may be in the minority, but I like your Cheevers pick. Especially to stick it to the handful of GM's who are clearly colluding to draft goaltenders as late as possible . I could be wrong on this, but from what I gather I think he has a good temperament for a backup.

By my count, 29 goalies have been taken. With you taking two, that's 28 teams with a goalie. So 4 teams need a keeper, and the pickins are looking pretty slim. Should be fun to watch.



YES....YES...DANCE, MY PRETTIES!
Sticking it to the teams yet to pick a goalie as if it doesn't matter played into my decision, I won't lie.


Last edited by monster_bertuzzi: 02-26-2012 at 08:23 AM.
monster_bertuzzi is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 08:47 AM
  #328
jkrx
Registered User
 
jkrx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,337
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Sticking it to the teams yet to pick a goalie as if it doesn't matter played into my decision, I won't lie.
I like the pick. Cheevers is a perfect back-up

jkrx is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 08:48 AM
  #329
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
We'll take

Duncan Keith, D

Can someone PM the net GM please? I'm out the door.
I think this is a good pick, Dwight. History will likely remember Keith and Carlyle as very similar players. Contemporary players are almost always underrated here.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 10:47 AM
  #330
Reds4Life
Registered User
 
Reds4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The Czech Republic
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,545
vCash: 500
I will take Lars-Erik Sjoberg, D.

Can you guys PM the next GM for me? Thank you!

Reds4Life is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:38 AM
  #331
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Alright, I'll cave on the whole goalie thing.

With their skipped pick, Halifax selects Ed Giacomin, G.

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
  #332
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
Alright, I'll cave on the whole goalie thing.

With their skipped pick, Halifax selects Ed Giacomin, G.
Obviously with everyone talking about the teams missing a goaltender, everyone of them will fill this need in this round. Book it.

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
  #333
Hockey Outsider
Registered User
 
Hockey Outsider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
lol, trolling the teams that haven't drafted goalies yet.
I vaguely remember that way back during ATD 1 or 2, someone drafted multiple elite goalies and tried to trade them (at an exorbitant price) to other teams. There was debate whether this was brilliant or evil. Does anybody else remember this?

Hockey Outsider is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:53 AM
  #334
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Outsider View Post
I vaguely remember that way back during ATD 1 or 2, someone drafted multiple elite goalies and tried to trade them (at an exorbitant price) to other teams. There was debate whether this was brilliant or evil. Does anybody else remember this?
Most of us weren't even born back in ATD#1 !!!


... Ok maybe not, but it was a long time ago. I remember Sidney Crosby getting picked as a 16 years old though.

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
  #335
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Obviously with everyone talking about the teams missing a goaltender, everyone of them will fill this need in this round. Book it.
Cheevers and Giacomin were he final two passable starters IMO, the cupboard is sadly pretty bare for the three teams yet to have a netminder.

monster_bertuzzi is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:08 PM
  #336
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Cheevers and Giacomin were he final two passable starters IMO, the cupboard is sadly pretty bare for the three teams yet to have a netminder.
Your troll routine would work better if you were actually correct.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:10 PM
  #337
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Your troll routine would work better if you were actually correct.
Troll routine? Giving an honest opinion.

monster_bertuzzi is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:15 PM
  #338
EagleBelfour
Registered User
 
EagleBelfour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Troll routine? Giving an honest opinion.
MB, in all honesty it looks like trolling, not that it matter much. And don't worry, far worst comment/attack/insult have been said around the ATD this year!

EagleBelfour is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
  #339
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Troll routine? Giving an honest opinion.
Ok. My honest opinion is that you are mistaken, and wasted a pick on Cheevers.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:18 PM
  #340
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
There were 3 other goalies that I was considering as well, I'd say any of them could pass as starters as well. Just couldn't resist the 5 year peak of Giacomin.

I'm not sure because he went already before I researched, but I think I'd take at least 3 of them (including Giacomin) over Cheevers. I can understand why Cheevers would be a higher choice for a back-up.

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
  #341
BM67
Registered User
 
BM67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In "The System"
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,598
vCash: 500
monkey_00 drafted 3 goalies in the first 9 rounds in ATD3 (15 teams), Hasek, Tretiak and Broda. He got banned, and Tretiak got traded by the new GM. Not sure what he got in return.

BM67 is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
  #342
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Troll routine? Giving an honest opinion.
There is a few solid ones left.

If I'm not mistaken, there was a team a few drafts ago that won the championship with one of the goalies still out there as their starter.

chaosrevolver is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:24 PM
  #343
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
I can understand why Cheevers would be a higher choice for a back-up.
But behind Ken Dryden?! I don't understand why one drafts a good playoff goalie to play behind a great one, especially with no coach and an incomplete 3rd line.

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:25 PM
  #344
Velociraptor
Registered User
 
Velociraptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maritimes
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Most of us weren't even born back in ATD#1 !!!


... Ok maybe not, but it was a long time ago. I remember Sidney Crosby getting picked as a 16 years old though.
That's wild, I guess I should let all of you know if I didn't go with Holik it was going to be Nathan MacKinnon.

Velociraptor is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
  #345
Stoneberg
Bored
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
But behind Ken Dryden?! I don't understand why one drafts a good playoff goalie to play behind a great one, especially with no coach and an incomplete 3rd line.
Wasn't aware of his starter. Agreed.

Stoneberg is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:29 PM
  #346
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Ok. My honest opinion is that you are mistaken, and wasted a pick on Cheevers.
Everyone is welcome to voice their opinion. I'm saying it's all relative, and these teams with the bottom 5 starters should be punished in the same way teams without a stud defenceman are punished around here.

monster_bertuzzi is online now  
Old
02-26-2012, 12:43 PM
  #347
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos
 
Sturminator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: West Egg, New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 8,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Everyone is welcome to voice their opinion. I'm saying it's all relative, and these teams with the bottom 5 starters should be punished in the same way teams without a stud defenceman are punished around here.
Teams have won the ATD with both starters among the last picked and #1 defensemen among the last picked (though not at the same time).

Sturminator is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 01:22 PM
  #348
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
To each his own. I've never been much of a Cheevers fan.
yeah. I'm sure there are GMs who think Cheevers should always be a backup in a 32 team draft.

I mean, the HOH board regularly calls him "the worst modern era goalie in the HHOF"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I think this is a good pick, Dwight. History will likely remember Keith and Carlyle as very similar players. Contemporary players are almost always underrated here.
I agree. When doing my list for the HOH defenseman project, I wondered if Keith had maybe caught Konstantinov already. In the end, I decided he hadn't, but I think it's close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
I will take Lars-Erik Sjoberg, D.

Can you guys PM the next GM for me? Thank you!
Great pick. It would have been hard to resist the Little General if he fell to my next pick. IMO, he's an excellent #5

I'm seriously blaming you for the lack of Euros on my team.


Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 02-26-2012 at 01:28 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 01:58 PM
  #349
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,216
vCash: 800
Keith is a nice pick at this point.

BenchBrawl is offline  
Old
02-26-2012, 02:08 PM
  #350
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 43,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
One more pick until I am up, yes?
Yup. Then I'm up and I really do have no idea who to pick

TheDevilMadeMe is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.