HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2012 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2012, 09:43 AM
markrander87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
next installment in my series of scouting report digs - Carol Vadnais.

1972: one of the most talented players in the NHL, can do an outstanding job either on defense or LW... came up as a defenseman but his speed permitted shift to LW when team needed help up fromt. led team in goals with 24 two years ago, playing both positions. A real leader on the ice.

1973: had been Seals' captain and was tabbed an untouchable for three seasons... a hard hitter but was not an immediate hit with Boston fans... his arrival squeezed Ted Green out of the picture, a fact that didn't sit well with fans... gradually won fans to his corner with solid play.

1974: offensive minded defenseman who also played LW with California... came into his own in the second half of last season, wining over fans... ranks as one of NHL's best-skating defenseman and owns explosive slapshot.

1975: an outstanding player for several years... not only were his scoring stats impressive, but his defensive work was its best ever...

1976: on any other team he would be the most talked-about blueliner...

1977: one of few players who played with distinction during Rangers' season of confusion...

1978: offensive defesneman with powerful blueline shot... had mistake-filled 1977 season as only veteran on defense... became target of NY fans' boos... was often overworked as a defenseman, penalty killer and PP pointman...

So judging by this Vadnais looks ideal for a 2nd pairing puck mover. It look like we also tend to underrate his defensive play.

Again we see that the Rangers did not play him properly during his time there. Overworked and played with the wrong partner. I'm glad we have this information for his previous season in Cali/Boston to tell the whole story on Vadnais.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:32 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
Whalers start their 4th line with Murray Oliver, C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
With his skipped pick, jkrx selects Thomas Steen
those are both excellent picks.

Oliver is not the prototypical 4th liner, but he has some defensive skill and is a splendid ES scorer for a player taken this late.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:34 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post

So judging by this Vadnais looks ideal for a 2nd pairing puck mover. It look like we also tend to underrate his defensive play.

Again we see that the Rangers did not play him properly during his time there. Overworked and played with the wrong partner. I'm glad we have this information for his previous season in Cali/Boston to tell the whole story on Vadnais.
Yeah, he was definitely good. they never say he was bad defensively, but they never say he was that good, either. So he probably comes out looking a little better than you originally expected. I also am pleased how much the TOI stats, sturm's recollection and the scouting reports all say the same thing about Vad's first couple of years in New York.

Going back to the comparison with Beck, I think it's clear that Beck at his very best was better than Vadnais at his very best. But Vadnas has a case as Beck's peer thanks to his very good 8th-12th-best seasons, something Beck doesn't have.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:46 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
Thrashers add third russian skeaping defenceman - Zinetulla Bilyaletdinov, D

Please pm next GM, I'm with one foot out of the door
I'm not sure much if anything separates him from Gennady Tsygankov, other than Arthur Chidlovski's focus on the 1970s.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:46 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
those are both excellent picks.

Oliver is not the prototypical 4th liner, but he has some defensive skill and is a splendid ES scorer for a player taken this late.
I might actually swap my 3rd and 4th line, depending on what wings I get Oliver. Morrow - Risebrough - O'Reilly can easily work in both roles, but would certainly make utterly insane 4th line.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:48 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Not so fast before you shoot down my player, TDMM. He played the majority of his career as a defenceman, with maybe the odd shift here and there every season as a rover.

I know for a fact the final two seasons of his career in Vancouver he didn't play centre at all - and still was a near point per game #1 defenceman.
this just popped up today in the Reed Larson thread that turned into a larson/Reinhart thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=34

Quote:
Reinhart was a very, very skilled d man who did indeed play forward both with the Atl/Calg Flames and with the Canucks. (Surprised that more people do not remember this).
obviously this would make his point totals less impressive, but the flipside is that it makes his TOI more impressive. As a forward he would have played 16-21 minutes a game, dragging down his overall average. Based on the high minutes he had throughout his career, he may have been a 28-minute defenseman!

there are some statistical indicators one can use to determine if a defenseman's stats are out of whack. A big one is shooting percentage. Reinhart actually had a sh% over 11.2 seven times which is enormous. Time at forward had to impact this.

Another one is the percentage of ES goals that he was on the ice for, that he earned a point on. I can do more on that later because it involves comparisons with other defensemen in that time to be valid.

Old
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
hfboardsuser

Never got PMed for EITHER pick. I really wanted Bilyaletdinov :/

Old
03-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Never got PMed for EITHER pick. I really wanted Bilyaletdinov :/
Ouch...GMM owes you one

Old
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Ouch...GMM owes you one
Bugg should ideally have been PMed when autoskipped too (not that it would have made a difference on Bilyaletdinov)

Although if he really knew who he wanted with the pick, he could have list a list too.

I thought DoMakc might have scooped Bilyaletdinov from Bugg when he picked him

Old
03-01-2012, 11:12 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Yeah, that's pretty rough.

It might be a good idea to announce that you've PMed a guy when making your pick, just to keep it fresh in everyone's mind. Example:

Quote:
With the 5000th overall pick, Inglewood selects an elite faceoff man with the proven ability to neutralize the NHL's top player:

David Steckel

Team X has been PMed.

If you're picking from a phone, mention it and someone else can do it for you.

Then again, it's not a bad idea to check here every once in a while if you know you're picking soon. We all make mistakes. I PM'ed the wrong guy after my Nicholls pick last round!

Last edited by arrbez: 03-01-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Inglewood selects an elite faceoff man with the proven ability to neutralize the NHL's top player:
too soon

Old
03-01-2012, 11:18 AM
hfboardsuser

It's fine, I guess. But can we please remember to PM?

Kimberley selects LW Sergei Kapustin and D Ivan Tregubov.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
arrbez
bad chi

Quote:
too soon
Zetterberg may have contained Crosby for a series. But for almost a year and a half? That's all Steckel baby.

Old
03-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
really want an upcoming pick , any offer will be strongly considered

Old
03-01-2012, 12:09 PM
DoMakc

I don't think Mr. Bugg will ever for my team: Kasatonov, Yakushev, Bilyaletdinov, i guess this alone is the reason, he couldn't build a soviet team

Last edited by DoMakc: 03-01-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
03-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Made Me View Post
1893 Montreal AAA is proud to select D Rod Seiling.
Seiling got nice AST voting recognition in his prime:

Rod Seiling:

1970-71: 10th
1971-72: 9th
1972-73: 7th

Old
03-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Looks like monster_bertuzzi's clock is up at 3:11pm EST, which is a little less than an hour.

I'll send him a PM

Old
03-01-2012, 02:13 PM
arrbez
bad chi

looks like he's skipped

Old
03-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Hawkey Town 18

monster_bertuzzi's clock has run out...

With the 538th pick the Chicago Shamrocks select John "Pie" McKenzie, RW

Pie will round out our 3rd line alongside Marty Pavelich and Ken Mosdell. We think he will add some grit to the line, provide good two-way play, and frustrate our opponents.

PMing next GM

Old
03-01-2012, 02:33 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
monster_bertuzzi's clock has run out...

With the 538th pick the Chicago Shamrocks select John "Pie" McKenzie, RW

Pie will round out our 3rd line alongside Marty Pavelich and Ken Mosdell. We think he will add some grit to the line, provide good two-way play, and frustrate our opponents.

PMing next GM
Where does Pie's rep as a good two-way player come from? I had him in my first ever ATD (ATD12) and I never got that impression of him. Great agitator and clutch scorer though.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:39 PM
JFA87-66-99

The Pittsburgh Bankers are very excited to select D Dollard St. Laurent

Old
03-01-2012, 02:57 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Where does Pie's rep as a good two-way player come from? I had him in my first ever ATD (ATD12) and I never got that impression of him. Great agitator and clutch scorer though.
Some interesting players taking leaps in draft position and/or role. More than I ever expected with a relatively static group of GMs and league size.

Although I guess I shouldn't talk; I do have Kapustin as a third line winger. His speed and physical persistence makes him the perfect vanilla forward who can serve as the scorer on a balanced unit.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that he was, during his peak, consistently in the mix with forwards long gone by now:

1974-75: 4th goals, 8th pts (Behind: Petrov, Balderis; Ahead of Mikhailov, Maltsev)
1975-76: 6th goals, 7th pts (Behind: Yakushev, Balderis, Mikhailov, Maltsev; Ahead of Petrov)
1980-81: 2nd goals, 2nd pts (Behind: Makarov; Ahead of Balderis, Krutov)
1981-82: 6th goals, 7th pts (Behind: Balderis, Krutov, Larionov, Makarov)
1983-84: 8th goals, 8th pts (Behind: Krutov, Makarov, Balderis)
1985-86: 4th goals, 4th pts (Behind: Krutov, Makarov; Ahead of Larionov)

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 03-01-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old
03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Joe Pelletier
Quote:
But don't forget John "Pie" McKenzie, the diminutive pest who was a real leader and fan favorite on that team. He was so popular that Boston fans bought 100s of bumper stickers that said "No matter how you slice it, Pie is the greatest."

Bostonians loved his courageous physical presence and dogged defensive attention. General Manager Milt Schmidt best summed up McKenzie as the Bruins' "mood-setter."

That's all I have so far. He's definitely not at the defensive level of his linemates, but should be able to play on a line like that. He was drafted more to bring his physical and pest game to the line. I think when you consider how good of defensive players Pavelich and Mosdell are, the line works.

Old
03-01-2012, 02:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
I think it's just being assumed because of the rest of his skill set. As far as I know he's not a defensive player.

I did; however, read a great quote about how much of a hard worker he was and how inspiring it was to the rest of his team. I planned to use it when I drafted him someday. I know exactly where to find it.

I think he's a very good 4th liner, but he can pass for a 3rd liner too.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Dreakmur

Coach, Barry Trotz

Please pm the next gm for me

Closed Thread