HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brad Boyes(BUF) To Phoenix

Old
02-21-2012, 09:55 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Brad Boyes(BUF) To Phoenix

To BUF:
PHX '12 4th
PHX '12 7th
Nick Ross

To PHX:
Brad Boyes

Reasoning:

Brad Boyes seems an unlikely candidate to be re-signed by the Sabres. He's a pending UFA and hasn't really worked out in Buffalo thus far. There probably won't be too many teams calling about Boyes and this may end up a "might as well take what we can get" situation.

The Coyotes are top ten in 5on5 goals, 5on5 goals for versus against, all goals against and PK percentage. Basically all major categories other than power play percentage. They have the worst power play in the NHL. Brad Boyes has been an excellent PP weapon in the recent past. The Coyotes have had luck with these sorts of reclamation projects in the past. They like to shop the bargain bin and never seem to give up "A" assets. Boyes won't cost much to acquire. He's only due another million bucks, and his contract is expiring.

The value is based off of a trade two deadlines ago that saw Lee Stempniak go from Toronto to Phoenix for Phoenix's 4th, 7th, and Matt Jones. Stempniak was 27 and Boyes is 29. Stempniak only made 3.5m in that, the last year of his contract. Boyes is making 4m. Both had wildly productive stretches in st.Louis before going up North and seeing their production freeze. I didn't adjust the value downward any because this deadline seems particularly crazy in terms of player value. Picks are flying all over the place. As such, I tried to replicate the same value as close as I could.

Did anyone actually bother reading that? Haha.

Thoughts?

02-21-2012, 09:59 PM
SlugLife978

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
To BUF:
PHX '12 4th
PHX '12 7th
Nick Ross

To PHX:
Brad Boyes

Reasoning:

Brad Boyes seems an unlikely candidate to be re-signed by the Sabres. He's a pending UFA and hasn't really worked out in Buffalo thus far. There probably won't be too many teams calling about Boyes and this may end up a "might as well take what we can get" situation.

The Coyotes are top ten in 5on5 goals, 5on5 goals for versus against, all goals against and PK percentage. Basically all major categories other than power play percentage. They have the worst power play in the NHL. Brad Boyes has been an excellent PP weapon in the recent past. The Coyotes have had luck with these sorts of reclamation projects in the past. They like to shop the bargain bin and never seem to give up "A" assets. Boyes won't cost much to acquire. He's only due another million bucks, and his contract is expiring.

The value is based off of a trade two deadlines ago that saw Lee Stempniak go from Toronto to Phoenix for Phoenix's 4th, 7th, and Matt Jones. Stempniak was 27 and Boyes is 29. Stempniak only made 3.5m in that, the last year of his contract. Boyes is making 4m. Both had wildly productive stretches in st.Louis before going up North and seeing their production freeze. I didn't adjust the value downward any because this deadline seems particularly crazy in terms of player value. Picks are flying all over the place. As such, I tried to replicate the same value as close as I could.

Did anyone actually bother reading that? Haha.

Thoughts?
I think it really comes down to who else comes calling. If that's the best offer on the table, Buffalo takes it. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bubble team take a chance on Boyes recovering his scoring ways and offer a 2nd or a 3rd + a middling prospect, though.

SlugLife978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:11 PM
BuffaloPolski

Done, Done, and Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BuffaloPolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:28 PM
SteenMachine

Boyes better have a top notch play maker if you expect him to carry the powerplay past the bottom 10.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:37 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
Boyes better have a top notch play maker if you expect him to carry the powerplay past the bottom 10.
Do they come any better than Ray Whitney?

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Evgeni Giroux

IMO Boyes will likely get a 3rd because their isnt a big market and the fact that he is a proven goal scorer.

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:48 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeni Giroux View Post
IMO Boyes will likely get a 3rd because their isnt a big market and the fact that he is a proven goal scorer.
Is? Is a proven goal scorer? If you mean a 10-12 goal scorer... Sure. If you mean a 20-30 goal scorer? Not so fast.

He will get no higher than a 3rd. Most likely a 4th or worse. He's shot. Plain and simply shot. Don't agree? Don't debate it here. Start a thread on the st. Louis board asking if Boyes isn't a shot NHLer. If he still has a lot of "game" left in him.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Evgeni Giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Is? Is a proven goal scorer? If you mean a 10-12 goal scorer... Sure. If you mean a 20-30 goal scorer? Not so fast.

He will get no higher than a 3rd. Most likely a 4th or worse. He's shot. Plain and simply shot. Don't agree? Don't debate it here. Start a thread on the st. Louis board asking if Boyes isn't a shot NHLer. If he still has a lot of "game" left in him.
If he goes to a team like PIT,DET,SJS,LA I would bet he becomes a 20+ goal scorer again. He needs a top center to spoon feed him goals just like Matt Moulson off the Islanders.

Evgeni Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:

No, no. Feel free to discuss it here. You have caught my interest.

Old
02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteenMachine View Post
I'd take not being the worst. Going from 12% to 15-16% would be a pretty good start to improving the team with little assets going the other way.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:02 PM
McTank

I think a few team will wanna gamble on him, I remember when he first came to buffalo he went on a tear and than we moved him to center and things went downhill, so who knows of he can rediscover his scoring ways on another team

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:03 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
No, no. Feel free to discuss it here. You have caught my interest.
It seems you don't mind it but I do. I hate it when people derail threads. If you're that interested go start a thread in the St. Louis section and ask if Boyes isn't shot.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
It seems you don't mind it but I do. I hate it when people derail threads. If you're that interested go start a thread in the St. Louis section and ask if Boyes isn't shot.
Haha. I already started a thread. This one.

Old
02-21-2012, 11:09 PM
McTank

Just to sum it up for you rt, if you watch any sabres games you will see, shoot outs aside, that Boyes has been absolutely useless this season and has been long downhill quite rapidly the last couple years

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:17 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
I'd take not being the worst. Going from 12% to 15-16% would be a pretty good start to improving the team with little assets going the other way.
Well said and I totally agree. This obviously looks like a Maloney move and I think Boyes could take Pyatt's ice time and possibly give that anemic PP a shot in the arm.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2012, 11:39 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

I like this trade for both teams. I've liked Boyes since he played with Bergeron and Sturm in Boston. Hope he can be revitalized in the desert.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Zip15

vCash: 67
As a Sabres fan with parents who are partial season ticketholders with the Yotes, I've thought Boyes makes sense for Phoenix for some time. First, he can help their PP. He won't be The Fix, but the guy is capable on the man-advantage, and only Pommer and Vanek have better points/60 mins at 5-on-4 than Boyes. Second, though I think he'd need protected zone starts anyways--which PHX can provide with their many solid two-way players--Buffalo was about the worst situation for him. He was never going to get more ES ice on RW than Pominville and Stafford, and Ruff utilizes Gaustad-Kaleta as his shutdown forward duo, so Boyes was destined for 4th line minutes with linemates like Ellis and McCormick--linemates who aren't going to help you score a lot of points. Alternatively, given Buffalo's lack of center depth, he was playing out of position at center when he wasn't getting 4th line RW minutes. The guy was destined to fail.

I'm not sure if Boyes would have a Stempniak-esque effect on Phoenix with a change of scenery, but I think he'd be helpful.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
As a Sabres fan with parents who are partial season ticketholders with the Yotes, I've thought Boyes makes sense for Phoenix for some time.

I'm not sure if Boyes would have a Stempniak-esque effect on Phoenix with a change of scenery, but I think he'd be helpful.
I can definitely see the Coyotes taking a flyer on Boyes as a rental - low risk addition that, if it doesn't work out, could be let go in the summer. Much like they did with Stempniak, Vrbata, Reinprecht, Comrie and several other players in recent years that were seen as being "done" with other teams, their trades to Phoenix seemed to take pressure off them and spark renewed efforts.

I'm sure the Sabres will view anything they get for Boyes as a bonus since they're all but guaranteed to let him walk this summer.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:05 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

And add Gilbert Brule to the list of injured Coyotes. We are now short our ENTIRE fourth line. Pyatt-Chipchura-Brule. Jeez. Can we please just do this trade now?

Old
02-22-2012, 09:13 AM
nycbruins*

okay, it's just a small proposal thread, so please tell me: What is the deal with this guy? He's not even 30 yet, hasn't had major injuries that anybody knows about.

He was a playmaker with the Bruins, a sniper with the Blues (for a while, anyway), and then a pile of crap on the Sabres.

I need some more information. Can't skate anymore? Too lazy?

I am intrigued by the idea of Boyes playing with Bergeron & Marchand & moving Seguin up to take Horton's place with Krejci & Lucic.

But it would probably have to be a 3-team deal. I can understand not being a consistent 40-goal scorer, or not averaging 45 assists/season like his rookie year in Boston...but 3 goals all season?

Also, I agree that Phoenix seems like a fit, but that's almost a $1 million expenditure for them. Not pocket change for a bankrupt team.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Phoenix has been well below budget all season. They can afford him. No doubt.

Old
02-22-2012, 10:12 AM
JPurp26

Ethan Werek

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Oshie97

Man Boyes has fallen so far from his 40 goal season. He went from a crazy shot % to missing wide open nets in less than a yr. I loved him in STL and was pissed when we traded him for a 2nd. I really don't see a team giving much for him now, how likely is it that he can turn his game around in a couple months? Maybe a 4th to take a gamble?

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 01:34 PM
HiddenInLight

Sabres would take the OP deal, but probably make a few calls around the league first to see if anybody else wanted to beat it. If nobody else would, they wouldn't say no.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Not enough cash in the bank for Boyes anymore.

What would it take to get Gragnani?