HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

A Shark Player Is Pushing To Acquire Sean Avery

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2012, 08:44 PM
  #26
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 34,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
LOL...Sure! He is on the block so offer away!
What are your primary needs?

__________________
Devil inside, devil inside, every single one of us, the devil inside.
SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:45 PM
  #27
tsnTpoint
Registered User
 
tsnTpoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Ott would be better and he can still has an NHL job! I like Vancouver to go all the way this year and that punk does not deserve his name on the Cup.
If Avery joined the Canucks the world will explode.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
  #28
Gardner McKay
Moderator
#4parsley
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 10,906
vCash: 50
Avery still has some stuff left to offer. I hope he does go and get one more chance. You guys would like him very quickly.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
  #29
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
What are your primary needs?
Center depth primarily followed by Defense. With the likelihood that Robidas, Ribeiro and Ott may be on their way out we will need to replace Ribeiro with someone who is capable of centering our 2nd line.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:46 PM
  #30
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Possibly Mitchell or Vandermeer straight up?

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:48 PM
  #31
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,236
vCash: 500
Was mentioned on Sportsnet that Calgary was also interested in Avery.

Alberta tough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
  #32
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Hypothetically, how would that work with him having to go through re-entry? Do the Rangers call him up and hope no one claims him before trading him? (waits patiently for the no one wants him jokes to end) Or do the Sharks make the trade and then bring him up?

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:50 PM
  #33
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 34,348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Center depth primarily followed by Defense. With the likelihood that Robidas, Ribeiro and Ott may be on their way out we will need to replace Ribeiro with someone who is capable of centering our 2nd line.
Sharks have center depth in the NHL, but not much in the system. They have young d-men like Braun and Demers and guys in the system like Abeltshauser, Petrecki, Doherty and Moffie.

Most depth is in net.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:51 PM
  #34
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs03 View Post
That player must have a crush on Avery.
No doubt !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:52 PM
  #35
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
If Avery joined the Canucks the world will explode.
You can't have Avey, Burrows and lapierre on the same team. Don't you ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
  #36
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Hypothetically, how would that work with him having to go through re-entry? Do the Rangers call him up and hope no one claims him before trading him? (waits patiently for the no one wants him jokes to end) Or do the Sharks make the trade and then bring him up?
Any player who was subject to waivers before assignment to the minors must clear re-entry waivers before being called back up if said player is on a one-way contract. So yes he would need to go through re-entry.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:53 PM
  #37
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Any player who was subject to waivers before assignment to the minors must clear re-entry waivers before being called back up if said player is on a one-way contract. So yes he would need to go through re-entry.
Yes, but my question is who does that? The Sharks or the Rangers? Who takes the risk of him being claimed?

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:54 PM
  #38
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
You can't have Avey, Burrows and lapierre on the same team. Don't you ?
Imagine if Ott also went to Vancouver? Ott, Avery and Burrows on one line?

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:56 PM
  #39
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Yes, but my question is who does that? The Sharks or the Rangers? Who takes the risk of him being claimed?
I believe if he is claimed on re-entry by SJ then they take on the remaining salary that i believe is pro-rated. This **** is confusing at times!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:57 PM
  #40
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 22,370
vCash: 50
Burns and his crazy suits...Avery and his ties to the fashion industry...

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
  #41
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Yes, but my question is who does that? The Sharks or the Rangers? Who takes the risk of him being claimed?
Teams who claim players on re-entry waivers are only responsible for half the salary and cap hit, while the original team is responsible for the other half

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
  #42
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramstoria View Post
I said on our board that I'd be in favor of it. Low risk high reward move. If he started acting up in anyway we just cut our losses and still have the same team we have currently.
The problem is he may just act out at the most crucial time. There's a reason he's been dumped by a few teams. The managers in this league are so close to everything that happens, Im not sure Sather would be able to keep a straight face while trying to trade him.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
  #43
frankthefrowner
Registered User
 
frankthefrowner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Trust a Dallas fan...it is a BAD IDEA!
It was a bad idea for your team, you had Steve Ott there was no need for Sean Avery. When he first came to the rangers he brought something we lacked, snarl, feistyness whatever.

All that happend is we out grew him and no longer need his brand of Snarl. We have it up and down the line up in guys like Cally, Dubi, Rupp, Prust, Boyle Etc... We get it now without the attitude.

I think he would be a good injection of cockiness and snarl for a team like the sharks. He would probably drive Luongo crazy.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
  #44
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
I believe if he is claimed on re-entry by SJ then they take on the remaining salary that i believe is pro-rated. This **** is confusing at times!
Thanks for replying, but that's still not what I'm asking. Let me try to be clearer.

Hypothetically, San Jose calls the Rangers and say we want Avery, put him on re-entry and when he clears we'll give you a 6th rounder for him.

Rangers say, well, we're not going to risk having him claimed and be on the hook for part of his salary, so we'll trade him to you for a conditional pick - if you call him up and he gets claimed it's a 7th and if he doesn't it's a 6th.

But then why would San Jose agree to that? That's what I'm trying to figure out.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:02 PM
  #45
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR1967 View Post
Thanks for replying, but that's still not what I'm asking. Let me try to be clearer.

Hypothetically, San Jose calls the Rangers and say we want Avery, put him on re-entry and when he clears we'll give you a 6th rounder for him.

Rangers say, well, we're not going to risk having him claimed and be on the hook for part of his salary, so we'll trade him to you for a conditional pick - if you call him up and he gets claimed it's a 7th and if he doesn't it's a 6th.

But then why would San Jose agree to that? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
I don't know tons about the CBA but here you may find what you are looking for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waivers...-entry_waivers
http://www.capgeek.com/CBA.php

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:03 PM
  #46
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
I don't know tons about the CBA but here you may find what you are looking for:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waivers...-entry_waivers
http://www.capgeek.com/CBA.php
Thanks!

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:15 PM
  #47
gotmonte
Registered User
 
gotmonte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Country: Italy
Posts: 1,545
vCash: 500
I think Sather will let Avery rot in the AHL instead of having to call him up KNOWING someone will claim him and then his cap hit even though HALF will be against us even though it will also be pro-rated, but still.. WHY would we keep a cap hit on the books for a player who will bring back a 6th or 7th rounder? If it is a good trade, then OK but then the team that trades for him will have to give up said prospect/pick(s) and then risk losing him to re-entry and be on the hook for half his salary.

So I see Sather just leaving Avery in the AHL till his contract ends this summer.

Or he trades him for another AHL'er which could go around the call up but eventually Sharks will want to call him up as I dont see them trying to trade for him to better their farm system, or are they? lol

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:35 PM
  #48
NYR1967
Registered User
 
NYR1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New York, N.Y.
Country: United States
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I think Sather will let Avery rot in the AHL instead of having to call him up KNOWING someone will claim him and then his cap hit even though HALF will be against us even though it will also be pro-rated, but still.. WHY would we keep a cap hit on the books for a player who will bring back a 6th or 7th rounder? If it is a good trade, then OK but then the team that trades for him will have to give up said prospect/pick(s) and then risk losing him to re-entry and be on the hook for half his salary.

So I see Sather just leaving Avery in the AHL till his contract ends this summer.

Or he trades him for another AHL'er which could go around the call up but eventually Sharks will want to call him up as I dont see them trying to trade for him to better their farm system, or are they? lol
Thanks - that's what I was trying to figure out.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:48 PM
  #49
ProstheticConscience
Dystemper
 
ProstheticConscience's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canuck Nation
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post
Anyone have any guess as to which San Jose player went to bat for him? My guess would be..... hmmm ill say Thornton??


I say Thornton because I bet the Vancouver pests in last years playoffs really got on his and the Sharks nerves. In Thornton's mind a player like Avery can help dish some of if not more of that stuff back.

Not a bad idea.
Well, last year the Sharks had a guy who did a masterful job of getting under Vancouver's skin in previous years. Name was Ben Eager. Look how well that one worked out.

I can see why they'd think Avery might be an idea, but that can blow up in their faces very badly. Sure, they could just do what the Rangers did and dump him in the minors but by then he might have already ruined morale in the dressing room.

Go for it, Sharks!

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 09:50 PM
  #50
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Imagine if Ott also went to Vancouver? Ott, Avery and Burrows on one line?
I'm pretty sure it's against the CBA.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.