HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barclay's Center Could be a Good Fit for Isles

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-22-2012, 11:40 PM
  #1
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 16,819
vCash: 500
Barclay's Center Could be a Good Fit for Isles

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basket...sles-1.3550252


Barclays Center was built primarily by and for the Nets, but as the arena takes its final shape, another potential use has become clearer than ever.

Evident around the perimeter of the arena floor in the heart of Brooklyn is the outline of a hockey rink, the one that on Oct. 2 will host the first sports event in the building -- an Islanders preseason game against the Devils.







"That, physically, is easy to accomplish,'' said Bob Sanna, an executive vice president of Forest City Ratner who is in charge of construction. He said the building always was designed with a regulation rink in mind and has plenty of locker room space to house a home team.

The complications are above the playing service, where an emphasis on the most intimate, symmetrical seating bowl for basketball means some seats on one end would not be suitable for hockey because of obstructed sight lines.

That will limit the capacity for hockey to about 14,500, smaller than any current NHL arena. The basketball capacity is about 18,000.

Barclays Center's CEO Brett Yormark called Islanders owner Charles Wang "a friend,'' and added, "We have an open line of communication with him.'' But for now Yormark positioned the October game primarily as a "sampling opportunity'' for all concerned. "We'll see where it goes,'' he said.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 11:54 PM
  #2
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,749
vCash: 50
The increasing chatter about Brooklyn is encouraging as it's becoming more and more clear that Long Island and to a lesser extent Queens are no longer viable options. I'll take Brooklyn but this whole situation just gives me a damn headache, I'm sick of reading about it just want to see more action.

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
02-22-2012, 11:58 PM
  #3
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 16,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin De Haan Job View Post
The increasing chatter about Brooklyn is encouraging as it's becoming more and more clear that Long Island and to a lesser extent Queens are no longer viable options. I'll take Brooklyn but this whole situation just gives me a damn headache, I'm sick of reading about it just want to see more action.
Gotta figure by the end of 2012 (Nassau/Hub) or the end of 2013 (elsewhere) is when we will finally put a close on this. Until then take 2 Tylenol or Excedrin daily, then bang head into concrete wall. That's the Islander headache cure.




***Not intended to be medical advice. Also, may cause bodily harm***

Homeland Security is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:22 AM
  #4
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,092
vCash: 500
This is very encouraging to hear. I'm definitely going to this preseason game. I'm so excited, man! I hope this works out.

Backhand of Justice is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:27 AM
  #5
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
sorry have to call this for what it is just fluff... nothing new.. and the only education about the atlantic avenue terminal is unless they renovate it and the track space in and out as well it won't be able to handle more than a 2K or 3K fans in crowded conditions after games for LIRR traveling to Jamaica and beyond.. still 14.5K...why do they keep rehashing the same thing? will that make it more palatable?

19 in a row is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
  #6
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
This is very encouraging to hear. I'm definitely going to this preseason game. I'm so excited, man! I hope this works out.

Anyone else consider that since we on "lockout warning" right now now that the new CBA might not be negotiated by October 2nd and thus...No game in Brooklyn (and no start to the regular season)?

periferal is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 01:41 AM
  #7
Bert Marshall days
Registered User
 
Bert Marshall days's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
This is very encouraging to hear. I'm definitely going to this preseason game. I'm so excited, man! I hope this works out.
Ditto!!


Bert Marshall days is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 05:56 AM
  #8
Ziggy16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
who said it had to be us? it could be a preseason AHL game with the Baby Isles facing the Baby Debbies lol.. they ARENT affected by the lockout.. hehehe

Ziggy16 is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 06:39 AM
  #9
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,217
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy16 View Post
who said it had to be us? it could be a preseason AHL game with the Baby Isles facing the Baby Debbies lol.. they ARENT affected by the lockout.. hehehe
Doesn't matter. People still have to be there and show their support. I might even come from Sweden to see the game, if I will be able to buy some tickets.

Wanderson is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 08:06 AM
  #10
beach
Things are looking
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: here
Country: United States
Posts: 1,811
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
sorry have to call this for what it is just fluff... nothing new.. and the only education about the atlantic avenue terminal is unless they renovate it and the track space in and out as well it won't be able to handle more than a 2K or 3K fans in crowded conditions after games for LIRR traveling to Jamaica and beyond.. still 14.5K...why do they keep rehashing the same thing? will that make it more palatable?
Umm, the LIRR Brooklyn hub moves thousands and thousands of people every day during rush hour. This will not be a problem.

beach is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 08:46 AM
  #11
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh
 
Mr Wentworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,749
vCash: 500
The main thing about this game is going to be the sight lines and how viable the arena is for hockey.

Mr Wentworth is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 09:32 AM
  #12
Strummergas
Registered User
 
Strummergas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Anyone else consider that since we on "lockout warning" right now now that the new CBA might not be negotiated by October 2nd and thus...No game in Brooklyn (and no start to the regular season)?
Yes, and I consider it to be a very serious matter. An extended lockout (especially one that cancels the whole season) may very well be the death blow to this organization staying local.

Strummergas is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 10:04 AM
  #13
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 16,534
vCash: 500
Man the Picture in Newsday the seating does not look good at all for Hockey....I hope they can work it out

StrongIslanders90 is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
  #14
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
I wonder how many seats they could gain for hockey by lowering the amount for basketball. Trimming back a few rows to make better sightlines. I wonder if they could find a suitable balance if its not to late in the contruction process. Not sure if its worth it to them even if they cannot guarantee an NHL team plus I'm sure they have thought about it to some extent. Lets say they could get hockey capacity up to 16,500 when only sacrificing 3 or 4 hundred seats for bball. Seems worth the extra cost right? 2000 potential hockey tickets vs losing 300 bball tickets. Total guess, I base my estimation off of nothing. Don't flame, just wondering if you guys think that could be something the builder/owner group has discussed or if my trade off estimation is even remotely close.

Does anyone else not get the exterior design for the arena? From space it probably looks like Godzilla left a steamy pile in Brooklyn on his way to destroy NYC. One of those swirly ones. I giant poo building would be perfect for the Isles.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
  #15
IslesArchieFan
Oh Cptn, My Cptn
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I wonder how many seats they could gain for hockey by lowering the amount for basketball. Trimming back a few rows to make better sightlines. I wonder if they could find a suitable balance if its not to late in the contruction process. Not sure if its worth it to them even if they cannot guarantee an NHL team plus I'm sure they have thought about it to some extent. Lets say they could get hockey capacity up to 16,500 when only sacrificing 3 or 4 hundred seats for bball. Seems worth the extra cost right? 2000 potential hockey tickets vs losing 300 bball tickets. Total guess, I base my estimation off of nothing. Don't flame, just wondering if you guys think that could be something the builder/owner group has discussed or if my trade off estimation is even remotely close.

Does anyone else not get the exterior design for the arena? From space it probably looks like Godzilla left a steamy pile in Brooklyn on his way to destroy NYC. One of those swirly ones. I giant poo building would be perfect for the Isles.

Here is the write up from the designer regarding the form,
http://www.shoparc.com/home#/project...barclayscenter

IMO, from a 'design' stand point the form is trying to encourage a connection to the urban fabric at a pedestrian level. Design-wise arenas are kind of a one liner, it is a challenge to incorporate them into an existing cityscape.
As far as the material choice for the cladding system I believe that they are trying to connect to the history of the navy yard with the weathered steel. Additionally SHoP did the design for some of the surrounding towers. The material pallet is similar for the towers and the arena will not stand out not nearly as much.

Personally I like the design and as a last resort if it keeps the Isles in NY sign'em up.

Here are some additional links:
http://www.archdaily.com/162383/conf...of-architects/


http://www.archdaily.com/187144/atla...op-architects/

IslesArchieFan is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 11:12 AM
  #16
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,463
vCash: 500
Would the move the start times back to 7 :30 if they played there. I do not see how i could make a 7pm game From Long island.

Fantom is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 11:18 AM
  #17
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesArchieFan View Post
Here is the write up from the designer regarding the form,
http://www.shoparc.com/home#/project...barclayscenter

IMO, from a 'design' stand point the form is trying to encourage a connection to the urban fabric at a pedestrian level. Design-wise arenas are kind of a one liner, it is a challenge to incorporate them into an existing cityscape.
As far as the material choice for the cladding system I believe that they are trying to connect to the history of the navy yard with the weathered steel. Additionally SHoP did the design for some of the surrounding towers. The material pallet is similar for the towers and the arena will not stand out not nearly as much.

Personally I like the design and as a last resort if it keeps the Isles in NY sign'em up.

Here are some additional links:
http://www.archdaily.com/162383/conf...of-architects/


http://www.archdaily.com/187144/atla...op-architects/
It's unique for sure. Just the renderings make it look like a flat brown color and not the weather steel look. Once the towers go up im sure it will make sense and blend in better. I'm with you though, but I say personally I do not like the design but as a last resort if it keeps the Isles in NY sign'em up.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 11:46 AM
  #18
Hipster Doofus
Registered User
 
Hipster Doofus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 6,460
vCash: 500
14.5k. A number to often repeated by idiots who don't get why the seating capacity doesn't matter at all.

Hipster Doofus is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
  #19
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Umm, the LIRR Brooklyn hub moves thousands and thousands of people every day during rush hour. This will not be a problem.
Yes it does and i am one of them.. rush hour is 2.5 hours long. The amount of people using LIRR in and out there every day is a fraction of Penn. Trains into brooklyn are generally able to hold about 844 people(8 cars with limited 10 car capability if it hangs two cars off the end platform). There is limited track space in and out of brooklyn so they can not add alot of additional trains. At the hour the games will end there is currently 1 train every 25 minutes. They may be able to add in a few more trains but when you factor in the other regular commuters they can not move "thousands and thousands" of exiting fans immediately following a game. So unless you want to wait an hour or two after game time, it will be an issue.. Then factor in that almost all lines will need to transfer at Jamaica, good luck getting home fast by train. Atlantic Avenue is not Penn Station and has very few tracks in/out to go with the 6 platforms. If you have ever gotten stuck in atlantic avenue for a delay you would know, people get backed up onto the street outside. the waiting area is small. Have you seen what penn looks like before/after ranger/knick games? Now put those people into a small area... And if you want to drive? they are putting in a parking lot that will be stacking your cars vertically, good luck with that too... unless you are on a subway line, traveling in my opinion will be awful. The fans will need to come from subway, with the majority of the current season ticket holders giving them up. Hopefully if they do this they can attract the new base.


Last edited by 19 in a row: 02-23-2012 at 11:59 AM.
19 in a row is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:03 PM
  #20
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
14.5k. A number to often repeated by idiots who don't get why the seating capacity doesn't matter at all.
Name calling? Very nice.

The seating capacity doesn't matter to those who want to go to the game? Driving up ticket prices and keeping out those who would like to go to a playoff game when they get there? So revenue will need to be offset by luxury boxes and higher priced seats. So yes it does matter to families and those who want to go to games. Nice to limit ourselves to an arena that will have a large portion of it empty and quiet due to structural reasons and the rest likely filled with corporate fans, while other fans are locked out..

If it didnt matter then why wouldn't all the recently built arenas be built with the smaller capacity to save construction costs? Of course it matters.


Last edited by 19 in a row: 02-23-2012 at 12:10 PM.
19 in a row is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:10 PM
  #21
Fantom
Registered User
 
Fantom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Name calling? Very nice.

The seating capacity doesn't matter to those who want to go to the game? Driving up ticket prices and keeping out those who would like to go to a playoff game when they get there? So revenue will need to be offset by luxury boxes and higher priced seats. So yes it does matter to families and those who want to go to games. Nice to limit ourselves to a stadium that will have a large portion of it empty and quiet at one end of the ice. Most likely filled with corporate fans.
I think what he is thinking is that the NHL would not stop them from going there Based on the lower seating number. I would think they would rather not move a Franchise out of its home state just because the only way for them to get much needed building would be to have a Smallish Building. So in that respect the seating number may not matter.

Fantom is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM
  #22
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
Gotta figure by the end of 2012 (Nassau/Hub) or the end of 2013 (elsewhere) is when we will finally put a close on this. Until then take 2 Tylenol or Excedrin daily, then bang head into concrete wall. That's the Islander headache cure.




***Not intended to be medical advice. Also, may cause bodily harm***
**** that. If there aren't some definitive plans one way or another by the start of the 2012-13 season, then I'm just going to assume the club is moving out of the market. I will remain an Isles fan till they leave, but I'm probably going to start paying more attention to the Devils who I've already decided will be my 2nd wife after the Isles divorce us.

Isles Junkie is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:27 PM
  #23
19 in a row
Registered User
 
19 in a row's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I think what he is thinking is that the NHL would not stop them from going there Based on the lower seating number. I would think they would rather not move a Franchise out of its home state just because the only way for them to get much needed building would be to have a Smallish Building. So in that respect the seating number may not matter.
I think you may be reading alot into what he said. All i saw was him saying people who think 14.5K doesnt matter are idiots. What you said is more reasonable, but I am not sure if you are saying the NHL or the owners are deciding where they move. If the NHL had say why not make them stay where they are rather than make them move to a small building with bad sightlines (BTW it should be the owners say, although I know the teams vote).


Last edited by 19 in a row: 02-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.
19 in a row is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:28 PM
  #24
StumpNYI
Registered User
 
StumpNYI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
I think what he is thinking is that the NHL would not stop them from going there Based on the lower seating number. I would think they would rather not move a Franchise out of its home state just because the only way for them to get much needed building would be to have a Smallish Building. So in that respect the seating number may not matter.
I didnt think that for a second and not that I disagree with what youre saying. I simply do not know. It could be a 10k seat arena for all I care as long as they stay. Also, how am I supposed to know what the NHL or Hipster Doofus thinks. I just assume that an extra few thousand seats would be beneficial financially and more ambience and ticket availability would matter to fans since the seating capacity is brought up in every article about Barclay's. But yes, in the end it doesnt matter as long as they stay. And the average isles attendance figure argument I don't buy either.

StumpNYI is offline  
Old
02-23-2012, 12:32 PM
  #25
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,232
vCash: 500
BTW, Have they announced when tickets for the preseason game will go on sale? Also, the tickets would be cheaper for a preseason game right? I mean they have to be.

Isles Junkie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.