HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Your top 5 Blues players?

Old
02-23-2012, 12:45 AM
SoulChaser17

vCash: 500
Your top 5 Blues players?

Just your top 5 favorites of our team. List them off, and if you wanna say more, go for it.

For me (although I'm not counting goalies):

1. Oshie - I just love this guy. He's my man crush. He's not that big, but he's still incredibly tough, and he's very creative. Unfortunately he doesn't know how to score as much as I'd like, but he certainly has some nice moves.

2. Pietrangelo - He's our All-Star, no doubt. Only just recently turned 22 and he's probably our best player. His defensive abilities are some of the best in the league, watching him play is just so great.

3. Perron - THOSE HANDS. He's incredibly talented and I think he's one of the most passionate players. Like he's always so excited when he scores. He just loves the game so much and it really shows.

4. McDonald - He's just SO FAST. Really, I'm still somewhat new to hockey (I've always loved it, but I've only been closely following it for about the past 5 months) so I never really saw McDonald play until he just came back. But what a comeback it was. He had an assist, and I was instantly amazed by his skill and ability. I kind of have a new man crush on him. I hope he continues to rack up some points. He's amazing.

5. Sobotka - I may be biased here because 17 is my favorite number. But I always enjoy watching him play. He's got some great offensive skill. I wish he'd get some more points. He's a fantastic player and I can't help but love him.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:00 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Pietrangelo
Backes
Oshie
Perron
McDonald/Steen/Sobotka/Shattenkirk

Sorry, couldn't choose just 5.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:14 AM
SoulChaser17

I understand. Backes, Shattenkirk, and Steen are all really awesome too. So is Arnott. All of them are honorable mentions for me.

SoulChaser17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:25 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulChaser17 View Post
I understand. Backes, Shattenkirk, and Steen are all really awesome too. So is Arnott. All of them are honorable mentions for me.
I decided to go to the 05-06 team to see who would be my top 5 from the horrible year. I ended up realizing that we have 3 players that were on pace for over 70 points when they were with us or healthy. We traded Sillinger and Weight, and Tkachuk was hurt. Crazy how much depth, goaltending, and coaching can make a team terrible.

My mind was literally blown when I realized that we actually had 3 scorers on that team. I remember sitting through all those games, and thinking that watching paint dry was more exciting.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:55 AM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

1. Chris Stewart - while this year has soured me on him, what he did last year for us was something I hadn't seem before. It seemed like whenever he wanted to score, he did.

2. Kevin Shattenkirk - I don't know why, but I love the man. Probably for his bald spot. And his twitter.

3. Alex Pietrangelo - This kid's insanely talented and should be the face of the franchise for many years down the road.

4. Vladimir Sobotka - What's not to love, besides his inability to score? He's tiny, but hits like a truck.

5. T.J. Oshie - He has everything: speed, hands, heart, hustle, strength, and hair.

6. David Perron - He can stickhandle in a phone booth while placing a call.

7. David Backes - He's even better when he's angry. I still remember his war against Canada two years ago.

8. Alex Steen - I love the way he thinks the game, and always seems to know where to be. I wish he could give Stewie some of that ability.

9. Kris Russell - I know this is a bit of an out there player, but just watching him skate is breathtaking. He's almost flawless on his edges and turns and it's just beautiful.

10. Scott Nichol. I love his heart, and whenever I've seen interviews of him, he seemed pretty funny.

HM: Patrik Berglund, Andy McDonald, Roman Polak, and it was tough to not have them on this list.

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:46 AM
BlueDream

Good lists so far.

1. Kevin Shattenkirk
2. David Perron
3. Chris Stewart
4. Alex Pietrangelo
5. T.J. Oshie

I love them all but gotta give Oshie props who continues to climb the ladder in my rankings. Everyone was criticizing him for not living up to expectations and "partying" off the ice last year but the kid keeps himself in tremendous condition, has energy matched by very few, is rock solid on his skates, and is one of the most valuable players on the team. He's easily one of our core pieces and he's one of the first guys that can be considered the 'face' of the new era. 1st round pick in 2005, was pretty much the first prospect that our fans truly got excited for once JD and co. took over, and he's been a good one.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Robb_K

Backes
Oshie
Pietrangelo
Perron
Shattenkirk

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:13 AM
Blanick
Winter is coming

1. Steen - Even though I am happy with Backes as our captain I was pushing for Steen to be named in the offseason. He is everything young hockey players should strive to be and the most underrated player in the NHL.

2. Pietrangelo - It is almost mind baffling that he is only 22. It has been said before and I will say it again he is the next Lidstrom.

3. Backes - Plays with a ton of emotion and is willing to pay a price every night. I don't think there is a team in the NHL that couldn't make room for a player like Backes. Hard to believe he went in the 2nd round.

4. Perron - The most offensively gifted player on the team. When he is on everytime he gets his puck on his stick you expect something to happen.

5. Jackman - Going with a bit of a wildcard here. Jax is gritty and old school, not flashy and isn't going to make big plays everynight but he makes life a living hell for whoever he plays against.

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:27 AM
PogoElGato

In no particular order:

Backes
Steen
Oshie
Pietrangelo
McDonald

PogoElGato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:05 AM
bberilam

1. Steen - First time I saw him play he became one of my favorite players, just so much hustle, speed, and relentlessness.
  2. Pietrangelo - Most skilled, important, and valuable player on the team.
  3. Backes - so underrated nationally for what he does, an all star. Almost always does the right thing for a captain, made out of some real good stuff.
  4. Oshie - Too much fun to watch, really think he stepped up the effort and conditioning this year, it's noticeable.
  5. Perron - So much skill with the puck, once again tons of fun to watch.

bberilam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
SirPaste

Petro
Backes
Oshie
Perron
Shattenkirk

Steen is right there too

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Sushiko
Damn Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
1. Chris Stewart - while this year has soured me on him, what he did last year for us was something I hadn't seem before. It seemed like whenever he wanted to score, he did.

2. Kevin Shattenkirk - I don't know why, but I love the man. Probably for his bald spot. And his twitter.

3. Alex Pietrangelo - This kid's insanely talented and should be the face of the franchise for many years down the road.

4. Vladimir Sobotka - What's not to love, besides his inability to score? He's tiny, but hits like a truck.

5. T.J. Oshie - He has everything: speed, hands, heart, hustle, strength, and hair.

6. David Perron - He can stickhandle in a phone booth while placing a call.

7. David Backes - He's even better when he's angry. I still remember his war against Canada two years ago.

8. Alex Steen - I love the way he thinks the game, and always seems to know where to be. I wish he could give Stewie some of that ability.

9. Kris Russell - I know this is a bit of an out there player, but just watching him skate is breathtaking. He's almost flawless on his edges and turns and it's just beautiful.

10. Scott Nichol. I love his heart, and whenever I've seen interviews of him, he seemed pretty funny.

HM: Patrik Berglund, Andy McDonald, Roman Polak, and it was tough to not have them on this list.
I agree with you on Stewart - I can't help but like the guy anyway. I'm hoping he really brings it, stays with the Blues, and has his best year yet at some point, really soon.

I always liked Nichol a lot too! He seems to be a real team player and a cool guy.

Shattdeuce is a fave of mine too - seems like a cool kid and I like his work ethic. His Twitter is pretty good, too

Otherwise I've always like AMac, just an amazing player with some good experience. It's hard to pick favorites, but other than those I'd pick Halak probably, maybe even Elliott; I just love our goal-tenders.

Sushiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:22 AM
dao256

If were not picking goalies,

Pietrangelo
Backes
Oshie
Perron
Shattenkirk

dao256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
Shattenkirk
Oshie
Pietrangelo
Backes
Berglund...because I believe he will put it all together.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:29 AM
ejoshie

Perron - Playoffs he will take his game even higher Trust me
Pieterangelo - Can make big plays that will surprise all of us
Backes - Same as Perron
McDonald - Needs a few more games under his belt
Oshie - Never quits

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:57 AM
BadgersandBlues

1. AP. I just get a special feeling when I watch him, the same feeling I got when I watched Pujols. He's going to be a HoF, and that he's just 22, and probably still has a whole next level to go to makes me feel warm inside.

2. Backes. The guy just plays his heart out. I love his style.

3. Perron. The kid is just a highlight reel waiting to happen on every play.

4. Steen. He is clutch, and clutch is everything. He plays the game the right way, and ALWAYS steps up his play in big games. I am -so- hopeful the guy is back for the playoffs.

5. Sobotka. The little man plays with the heart of a lion. Never backs down. Does all the little things right. A perfect bottom 6 player, especially in the playoffs.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Mike Liut

Oshie
Backes
Petro
Perron
Reaves

HM- Polak, Amac,Berglund, Steen, Shatty,Halak

Sobotka is growing on me

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
BlueBeard

Pietrangelo
Backes
Steen
Sobotka
Polak

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:02 PM
Mr Dangles
I double dare you.

Backes
Pie
Oshie
Perron
Shatty/Steen/Reaves

In that order

Mr Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
h22prelude93

Pietrangelo
Perron
Steen
Oshie
Backes

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM
stlweir

Robb_K you are right on as long as we aren't including goalies. AMac and Steen are right there.

As of today:
1. Pie
2. Backes
3. Shattenkirk
4. Oshie
5. Perron - could easily move up
6. AMac - instant offense
7. Steen - Mr consistant

Preseason I would have had Stewart in the top five and maybe Bergund

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
STLhockey91*

its funny how such few people give AMAC the credit he deserves...

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyman1707 View Post
its funny how such few people give AMAC the credit he deserves...
k, not sure what that means. This is a favorite players thread. Your post is completely irrelevant.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
Chicago Blues

Pietrangelo
Oshie (was my #1 up until past couple weeks - Petro's just been so good, elite talent in the making)
Backes (feel bad not putting him #1 because he works so hard and is the heart and soul of the team)
Perron
Sabotka (listen to a Blues game, is there ever one where you don't hear his name 300 times - no - he's everywhere on the ice, works so hard, such a spark plug)

Least Fav. Blues - Chris Stewart aka The Ghost

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:54 PM
STLhockey91*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
k, not sure what that means. This is a favorite players thread. Your post is completely irrelevant.
Haha I guess I should have read the initial thread. I read the title of the thread and interpreted it as top 5 players in terms of importance and then skimmed some of the names people said and didn't see AMAC. But I do believe that average blues fans don't give him the credit he deserves.

STLhockey91* is offline   Reply With Quote