HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Will Subban be as good as Karlsson?

Old
02-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Clipitar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Well i certainly won't say that Subban isn't talented and doesn't have the ability to become a one or two spot defencemen on any team but overall i think Karlsson has a better skillset.

Sure you can argue that Subban is better physically but physicality isn't the only thing you need to play good defense. Even though Karlsson isn't imposing, his speed certainly makes up for most situations on the ice. For example,if Karlsson pinched in the attacking zone he has the ability to catch up and tie the forward in his own end (it happened alot last year, not so much this year but it occasionally occurs) since his speed allows him to catch up.

But! If a power forward such as Nash or even Louie Ericksson leans on Karlsson he is at a disadvantage compared to Subban.

Overall, even with this disadvantage i think Karlsson has the edge and will for a longtime but Subban certainly come close (if the team can turn it around) in time.
All valid points, but Subban edges Karlsson defensively for other reasons than just physicality.

I actually never thought Subban could become that good defensively. Like many others, I thought his game would be almost only about offence. But at this point, I think he'll end up better defensively than offensively (still capable to post 45-55 pts seasons).

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:06 PM
JustAHabFan

I don't know why Sens' fans are so sensitive about Karlsson. He is doing great for them and they should be very happy about that. Who cares if Habs' fans prefer Subban over him. Any fanbase will prefer their own players/prospects because the fans are completly homers. They should enjoy the moments and appreciate what Karlsson is doing right now. Who know what Karlsson will be doing in the future. This may be his dream season and he will not be to produce at the same level in the future.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Subban is already much better defensively, he was getting tough matchups as a rookie. Plus he brings a physical dimension Karlsson doesn't have. Karlsson may end up better on pure offense, but overall Subban has more upside.
Karlson right now is hands down better

way better defender than given credit

Pk still makes those stupid errors , in time maybe PK is more complete

right now ...its not even close

Karlsson may not be tough but isnt that bad in his own zone

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Young Gun

simply answer...no not offensively he won't

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:31 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
He has already been in the playoffs, and was lined up against Malkin. He did pretty good for himself. 1 goal 6 assits in 6 games as a 19 year old. Every single one of your commments so far in this thread seem to be completely opinion based, while the exact opposite of what you have said can be proven.
I have opinions you know. And I say 6 games is a small sample size. I like Karlsson, I compared him to Paul Coffey and Phil Hously. That's nice compamy. I just like PK better.

I say he has more dimensions to his game and is the more durabe guy. Its early in both of their careers, we will enjoy these guys for a long time...

Me with Stanley Cup, you a Norris - everybody wins.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 2615
It's almost too bad Subban isn't a forward, he would make better use of his physicality, his stickhandling, and how hard it is to knock him off the puck. That said as a D he is on the ice more.

Karlsson will probably put up more points over his career, but the extra physicality, and the antagonizer factor is also valuable (especially in playoffs!!), ask Crosby when Subban spent the whole series in his face throwing him off his game, contributing to the upset.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He said he wants to be as good as lidstrom. Should he say he wants to be Chris campoli?
He's not as smart hockeywise as Lidstrom by a league and a half. Let's hope he speeds up his maturation because he's got a long way to go. Only starstruck fans are oblivious to it. That's not taking away from his physical skills, which are obvious.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:19 PM
sheed36

I really need to stop wasting my time replying to Sens fans posting in this thread since every post I type out replying to them gets deleted along with the posts from the Sens fan..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
I don;t think Subban has the vision Karlson had so Ihave to say as a Offensive minded d-mankarlson is superior however I do believe Subban is a much better rounded D-man.

Better Defensively, stronger and not afraid to play the body.

Karlson is uni dimensional but extremely good at it

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Karlsson's defensive short-comings DID exist last year. It was pretty obvious that it was a "style" issue, and not a "hockey I.Q." issue. I had this conversation/debate a year or so ago, and we figured that Karlsson was being given the green light (in a write-off year) to just play the way he felt most effective, and develop his creativity. Well, seems to have paid off. Not only is he now riding confidence which has raised him to the scoring defenseman in the league by a mile, the experience he has naturally gained along the way has contributed to measurable improvement in his defensive zone effectiveness as well. Seriously, any talk of actual "short-comings" defensively are stuck in 2011.

Now, remember what we all saw ahead of PK last year? In direct contrast, the reins were quickly and harshly thrown on PK, and now we see a guy who still has all the talent/ability, has a year of NHL experience under his belt, and yet looks like he's constantly caught in decisions between what he instinctively feels he should do, and what he knows he's expected/supposed to do... every... time.

I think I'd still take PK on my team given the choice. I fully acknowledge that Karlsson might be a guy that "overall" is going to be responsible for more points in the standings - making him the overall bigger "impact", thus "better", player - but I dunno... the physicality and strength/determination matter to me. Would be nice to see the reins taken off PK a bit before the actual day our season becomes a mathematical write-off. I feel he's a smart and capable enough player to learn from his own mistakes, and will be harmed more long term if he's molded into the defenseman the Habs feel they need (and disciplined when he's not) in his current role instead of simply the best player he can be.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Bob Cole

Karlsson is a gem for sure. PK wont ever come close to him in terms of hockey IQ and vision.

Hard to say right now since one is playing out of mind right now and the other is in a sophomore slump, but I think PK will be the overall better dman in both their primes but Karlsson will obviously always have the edge on offensive skills.

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:09 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

One is given the freedom to play HIS game, the other is being forced to play to lose and change how he plays..

Subban's defensive game has improved leaps and bounds and he is superior in his own zone over Karlsson with the opposite being true in the offensive zone, for now. I find Karlsson's skillset far more in line with that of Andrei Markov's, crisp passer and hockey IQ kind of defensemen. Average-to-good defensively. Perennial 60-65pt per year D-man. PK is going to turn into more of a smaller version of Chris Pronger. Plays a big physical game, gets better with more responsibility/ice time and still manages to put up 45-50pts a season in his prime.

I know when the chips are down (playoffs), and two-way hockey becomes that much more important. Subban is the guy I want manning my blueline for 25-30 minutes a game, not Karlsson. Subban has been instrumental in our playoff success the past two runs, albeit cut short last season he WAS the best defenseman on either team in that series.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He's not as smart hockeywise as Lidstrom by a league and a half. Let's hope he speeds up his maturation because he's got a long way to go. Only starstruck fans are oblivious to it. That's not taking away from his physical skills, which are obvious.
Well, it took Lidstrom a long time before he became Lidstrom. Maybe it will take PK a long time before he becomes PK.

If you know what I mean...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:48 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
I think he will be better than Karlsson one day. I can see Subban working his ass off until that happens.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
phoque taupe

For sure, PK will never have an offensive year like Karlsson.. on a habs team.

And to me, PK will end up better than Karlsson, (Career/Overall game)

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Karlsson's defensive short-comings DID exist last year. It was pretty obvious that it was a "style" issue, and not a "hockey I.Q." issue. I had this conversation/debate a year or so ago, and we figured that Karlsson was being given the green light (in a write-off year) to just play the way he felt most effective, and develop his creativity. Well, seems to have paid off. Not only is he now riding confidence which has raised him to the scoring defenseman in the league by a mile, the experience he has naturally gained along the way has contributed to measurable improvement in his defensive zone effectiveness as well. Seriously, any talk of actual "short-comings" defensively are stuck in 2011.

Now, remember what we all saw ahead of PK last year? In direct contrast, the reins were quickly and harshly thrown on PK, and now we see a guy who still has all the talent/ability, has a year of NHL experience under his belt, and yet looks like he's constantly caught in decisions between what he instinctively feels he should do, and what he knows he's expected/supposed to do... every... time.

I think I'd still take PK on my team given the choice. I fully acknowledge that Karlsson might be a guy that "overall" is going to be responsible for more points in the standings - making him the overall bigger "impact", thus "better", player - but I dunno... the physicality and strength/determination matter to me. Would be nice to see the reins taken off PK a bit before the actual day our season becomes a mathematical write-off. I feel he's a smart and capable enough player to learn from his own mistakes, and will be harmed more long term if he's molded into the defenseman the Habs feel they need (and disciplined when he's not) in his current role instead of simply the best player he can be.
Time will tell. We're hoping for the best but it isn't preordained that PK will become a dominant player.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
One is given the freedom to play HIS game, the other is being forced to play to lose and change how he plays..

Subban's defensive game has improved leaps and bounds and he is superior in his own zone over Karlsson with the opposite being true in the offensive zone, for now. I find Karlsson's skillset far more in line with that of Andrei Markov's, crisp passer and hockey IQ kind of defensemen. Average-to-good defensively. Perennial 60-65pt per year D-man. PK is going to turn into more of a smaller version of Chris Pronger. Plays a big physical game, gets better with more responsibility/ice time and still manages to put up 45-50pts a season in his prime.

I know when the chips are down (playoffs), and two-way hockey becomes that much more important. Subban is the guy I want manning my blueline for 25-30 minutes a game, not Karlsson. Subban has been instrumental in our playoff success the past two runs, albeit cut short last season he WAS the best defenseman on either team in that series.
A (much) smaller version of Chris Pronger isn't Chris Pronger.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
A (much) smaller version of Chris Pronger isn't Chris Pronger.
No but it isnt the size of the dog in the fight, as much as it's the amount of fight in the dog. PK Could be that kind of beast in the NHL.
He eats crucial minutes on this team right now, as a 22 yr old sophomore. He has so much potential to be something serious for the habs in the few years to come. IMO the re-addition of Markov may be a great thing for his game in particular IMO.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:07 PM
number 11

ill take the guy who can play defence and shut down the best players in the league and still get 45 pts over another forward playing defence.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
Well i certainly won't say that Subban isn't talented and doesn't have the ability to become a one or two spot defencemen on any team but overall i think Karlsson has a better skillset.

Sure you can argue that Subban is better physically but physicality isn't the only thing you need to play good defense. Even though Karlsson isn't imposing, his speed certainly makes up for most situations on the ice. For example,if Karlsson pinched in the attacking zone he has the ability to catch up and tie the forward in his own end (it happened alot last year, not so much this year but it occasionally occurs) since his speed allows him to catch up.

But! If a power forward such as Nash or even Louie Ericksson leans on Karlsson he is at a disadvantage compared to Subban.

Overall, even with this disadvantage i think Karlsson has the edge and will for a longtime but Subban certainly come close (if the team can turn it around) in time.
Yet, Subban can catch up to almost anyone with the speed/Explosiveness he has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
Karlson right now is hands down better

way better defender than given credit

Pk still makes those stupid errors , in time maybe PK is more complete

right now ...its not even close

Karlsson may not be tough but isnt that bad in his own zone
I'm with you on Karlsson but P.K. making those stupid errors is not really true. P.K. yes he had a bad stretch of game's but that's maybe 10 games.. Don't eat everything the media world throws at you! (No offense.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpty Dumpty View Post
I have opinions you know. And I say 6 games is a small sample size. I like Karlsson, I compared him to Paul Coffey and Phil Hously. That's nice compamy. I just like PK better.

I say he has more dimensions to his game and is the more durabe guy. Its early in both of their careers, we will enjoy these guys for a long time...

Me with Stanley Cup, you a Norris - everybody wins.
Who says we'll win the cup? Who say's Karlsson will win the Norris ? Did Green win it on is record breaking season ? Nope.

''The James Norris Memorial Trophy is awarded annually to the National Hockey League's top "defense player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-round ability in the position". The James Norris Memorial Trophy has been awarded 55 times to 23 different players since its beginnings in 1954. At the end of each season, members of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association vote to determine the player who was the best defenseman during the regular season.''

Also, who said P.K. will never win a Norris ? Last year Lidstrom was 2nd in points, Keith was second, Chara was 12th(With markov sitting at 2nd must I remind everyone.) The only Dman in the league finishing first in point and winning the Norris is Nik Lidstrom (2 times) since season 2000. Point isn't all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
It's almost too bad Subban isn't a forward, he would make better use of his physicality, his stickhandling, and how hard it is to knock him off the puck. That said as a D he is on the ice more.

Karlsson will probably put up more points over his career, but the extra physicality, and the antagonizer factor is also valuable (especially in playoffs!!), ask Crosby when Subban spent the whole series in his face throwing him off his game, contributing to the upset.
If he was a forward i'd see Corey Perry in black. Damn is that good looking. And I am with you on the playoffs.

Quote:
Who is has smart as Lidstrom ? Andrei Markov When he played ... Ernstrom maybe ? Norris Keith was too... And it's a big stretch for all three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

I think it's been a long time you didnt see Andrei play Good to great in defense would've made me happy. Markov is in no way average in any aspect of the game(Phisicalty aside, Oh and injury factor ...(Sadly) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
No but it isnt the size of the dog in the fight, as much as it's the amount of fight in the dog. PK Could be that kind of beast in the NHL.
He eats crucial minutes on this team right now, as a 22 yr old sophomore. He has so much potential to be something serious for the habs in the few years to come. IMO the re-addition of Markov may be a great thing for his game in particular IMO.
are you a poet or something ? And it's what make's me love P.K. that much. He has so much drive in him it's incredible. Look's like nothing will stop him when he speak's or how he play's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 11 View Post
ill take the guy who can play defence and shut down the best players in the league and still get 45 pts over another forward playing defence.
We are not talking about Kaberle here. It's Karlsson he's still great in defense.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Shadyone33

Karlsson and it's not even close. D-men that can score at that rate are a much more rare find. He's not as bad defensively as most people make him out to be as well. It's more a case of people bringing him back down to earth. I like both defensemen but it would be a very poor decision if we were offered Karlsson straight up for Subban and we turned it down. I'm typing this while wearing my Subban shirt as well.

Think about this. Markov's best year offensively speaking is 08-09. He scored 64 points in 78 games. Adjust it to an 82 game season and it's 67.28, round it to 70 for argument's sake. Now, how many of us would have been in favor of trading Markov for a 35 point D-man? Nobody! Why? Because a 35 point defenseman is a lot easier to find than a 70 point defenseman.

Another thing to take into account is age. Karlsson doesn't turn 22 for another few months. He's going to surpass Markov's peak at 22 years of age! That's crazy! Yes, he's RFA at the end of the year and there are 2 routes it may go. There's one rumor that Karlsson takes a smaller contract in term to make a little more money (Not Weber money either). This would give Ottawa RFA rights at the end of the next contract and with Karlsson not looking to cash in they can look to build a good team in Ottawa. Supposedly Alfredsson is really working with him and it's rubbing off. Alfredsson has always been a good leader and a good example.

Karlsson has a realistic chance of finish in the top 20 for scoring overall. This has only happened 3 times in the last 20 years. Lidstrom (Finished 20th in 99-00, +19)was the most recent to do it. Leetch did it(Finished 9th in 91-92 +25), and Coffey(Finished 7th in 94-95 +18) did it during the lockout shortened season. Those are some VERY impressive names to be mentioned with.

Last edited by Shadyone33: 02-24-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:13 AM
swiftwin
#lalala

I'm going to keep this super short because I respect that this is the Habs board, and I'm not gonna get into a debate. But I just wanted to point out to the people saying that Karlsson is piling up points on the PP, well that just not true. He has 37 ESP, which is only 4 behind Campbell's total points. Heck, he only has one less ESP than Claude Giroux.

Besides that, to me the biggest difference between Subban and Karlsson is all mental. They both similarly skilled, they are both similarly athletic (Karlsson is faster, Subban is stronger), they both have a good shot. But at the end of the day, to me Karlsson's vision is several steps above Subban's, and probably a step above any defenseman in the NHL. Its that combination of vision and speed that is making Karlsson so deadly right now.

I even called it in this thread last year: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=33288796

Quote:
Exactly... Subban's hockey sense is fine, just that... fine, average, mediocre. Karlsson's is through the roof.

Are you suggesting that Karlsson doesn't step up crunch time? Unlike Subban, he's a PPG player in the playoffs (not like it matters, since both have too small a sample).

As far as what type of play Karlsson will be, he's one of the rare players who you can't compare to, he has a skillset that is pretty unique among d-men in the NHL right now, and he doesn't have a comparable.

But whatever, no point in trying to convince you, but I know im right. I've been right about Karlsson in the past, and even other sens fans laughed at me (see: here), but in the end I got the last laugh. In 2-3 years, Karlsson will be miles ahead of Subban. Next year, Karlsson will be a borderline Norris nominee, and Subban will hit a big sophmore rut. Book it.
Thats all, Im out, good luck the rest of the way.

Last edited by swiftwin: 02-24-2012 at 12:19 AM.
swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
Karlsson and it's not even close. D-men that can score at that rate are a much more rare find. He's not as bad defensively as most people make him out to be as well. It's more a case of people bringing him back down to earth. I like both defensemen but it would be a very poor decision if we were offered Karlsson straight up for Subban and we turned it down. I'm typing this while wearing my Subban shirt as well.

Think about this. Markov's best year offensively speaking is 08-09. He scored 64 points in 78 games. Adjust it to an 82 game season and it's 67.28, round it to 70 for argument's sake. Now, how many of us would have been in favor of trading Markov for a 35 point D-man? Nobody! Why? Because a 35 point defenseman is a lot easier to find than a 70 point defenseman.

Another thing to take into account is age. Karlsson doesn't turn 22 for another few months. He's going to surpass Markov's peak at 22 years of age! That's crazy! Yes, he's RFA at the end of the year and there are 2 routes it may go. There's one rumor that Karlsson takes a smaller contract in term to make a little more money (Not Weber money either). This would give Ottawa RFA rights at the end of the next contract and with Karlsson not looking to cash in they can look to build a good team in Ottawa. Supposedly Alfredsson is really working with him and it's rubbing off. Alfredsson has always been a good leader and a good example.

Karlsson has a realistic chance of finish in the top 20 for scoring overall. This has only happened 3 times in the last 20 years. Lidstrom (Finished 20th in 99-00, +19)was the most recent to do it. Leetch did it(Finished 9th in 91-92 +25), and Coffey(Finished 7th in 94-95 +18) did it during the lockout shortened season. Those are some VERY impressive names to be mentioned with.
Green did finish 20th in 09-10.(Tied with Perry.)

Also, Markov is out of this world defensively if you compared him to Karlsson. Thats the difference.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:39 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Subban is the better defensive player, and he's also a much bigger threat physically. Karlsson is the superior offensive dman though, no doubt about it, though Subban has a rare toolbox himself.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:40 AM
THE HOFF

Define good. and then the answer is probably no. Karlsson has some serious QB blood in him ... its frightening to see a guy put it all together at his age. Potential Hall of Famer.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote