HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are your thought of King and Nolan

Old
02-23-2012, 09:02 AM
djavan

vCash: 500
What are your thought of King and Nolan

I'm interested in your thoughts on these two as i've watched them a bit here... thanks, btw i posted a possible trade proposal on that board involving the isles and kings for full disclosure

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Capn Brown

King is awesome. Nolan's a little bit less awesome, but he's getting there.

If DL had hoped these two guys would replace the size/grit lost when we lost Smyth/Handzus/Simmonds, I think it's too little, too late.

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:06 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Yeah, I commented on your proposal. I'd get down to Voynov/Okposo as a base and add picks as needed.

As far as King/Nolan, I think King's got more offensive upside, but I think Nolan's going to be the better player. I wonder if King has enough offense to be a top two line guy, and he doesn't really use his size in board play enough to be an effective 3rd/4th line guy. He could be a tweener type, but I hope I'm wrong and I'm glad to see it's not for a lack of effort offensively speaking.

Nolan isn't going to a big goalscorer in my opinion, though I know a few other fans think he has 20 goal potential. I see him as a bigger Ian Lapperriere type. A lay it all on the line, take on all-comers type. Likely not as fiesty as Lappy, though maybe that will come in time. He's had some shifts in the minors where he's looked like that.

Either way, I'm sure one or both will have a permanent spot on the team next year.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Whiskeypete

both kids are looking good so far imo. can definitely see holes in their game based on lack of NHL experience. timing, positioning, effort, etc all will come in time if given the chance. they haven't completely adapted to the speed/pace of the NHL game.

King seems to have a good 'nose' for the puck around the net, although i don't know yet if he has the skill to produce at the NHL. he's getting chances around the net, which is due to his 'nose'. he just hasn't buried most of them. Varlamov robbed him last night on one, but i saw it as more of King taking to long with the puck to get the perfect shot. it gave Varly time to find the puck and get his glove up.

King has the size and gives the effort we hoped that Pancakes would bring. like Pancakes he needs to work on his first three steps skating to help get some separation. if he can improve this with his frame he will get time down low to do damage.

Nolan i agree looks to be more of the grinder that will give everything along the boards. i haven't noticed him enough around the net with the puck to give an opinion on his scoring ability. i Nolan is the better of the two when it comes to skating ability. by no means will he be considered an elite skater, but if the kid works he could become another Clifford. i've got no issue with big guys, that hustle, work their ass off and can contribute.

both guys are giving it 100%, its obvious out there. the rest of the team is in a malaise and funk, but these kids are taking the opportunity to make the most out of this chance.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Fine, they are just forced into a bad situation with a bad team. They don't belong on the top 6, they belong on the bottom 6, but I like their energy and how they are handling themselves. They swarm the net and are aggressive in the offensive zone, which is something we need much more of. Almost makes me wish we took a good look at Morris for the head coach position. He seems to be getting a lot of results out of that Manchester team despite their lack of skill.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:17 AM
damacles1156

Since the Call up they have been two of the best Forwards the Kings have.

Does anything else need to be said about that ?

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:00 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Was I the only one that wanted to see Nolan just start pounding Kobasew last night?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Was I the only one that wanted to see Nolan just start pounding Kobasew last night?
Nope. I did too. I also liked hwo Kobasew never got a friggin penalty for jabbing Nolan in the face off and on for 30 seconds while Nolan did nothing. Kobasew's lucky Nolan didn't do something.

Old
02-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

King looks like a NHLer. Nolan looks like a AHLer on a call up.

Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
kingsdarkness

Why is Nolan afraid to fight up here?

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdarkness View Post
Why is Nolan afraid to fight up here?
Maybe he's told not too?

Old
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

King looks like he belongs. Nolan has tapered off a bit but still ha potential.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

I like that Dwight King is always working hard in front of the net and is always there to get a piece of the puck. Hope he continues to grow and get better and eventually fit in as a 3rd or 4th line LW.

Jordan Nolan still needs work but he does some things that reminds me of Simmonds. I think both can compete for permanent roster spots next season so long as the team gets rid of some dead weight.

Speaking of Nolan, the Monarchs official YT channel just posted this video of him:

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I really wouldn't mind seeing Dwight King as a permanent fixture on our 3rd line.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:19 PM
DoktorJeep
Original Bandwagoner

King has shown a lot more in this call up than he did last year. I like his work on the boards, and his ability to recover pucks in the O-zone.

Nolan looks okay, but I think he'll find himself back down in MAN pretty soon. He takes PIMs in the offensive zone more than I'd like to see, and he looked a little unsure of what to do out there last night during the altercation with Kobasew (who I'm surprised he chose to get tied up with).

DoktorJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

I'm impressed by both of them. They both bring size to the table, that most of the team does not have.

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Been impressed. I feel King will end up being ALOT like Simmonds, bigger and slower yes, but the same skill set

Moses Doughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:22 PM
kingscourt26

I don't know what the hell they are doing on the top lines or on the PP. I think they are a couple of young guys playing hard to stay in the NHL.

kingscourt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:53 PM
markisonfire

King replaces some of the front-net presence that we've been severely lacking this season. Nolan has looked pretty good as well, but needs some work still. I see King being a third line guy that gets power play time, kind of like Handzus.

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 09:53 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I think they've both done as much as can be realistically asked of them

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
deeshamrock

Quote:
Been impressed. I feel King will end up being ALOT like Simmonds, bigger and slower yes, but the same skill set
I thought both looked good and the Kings need players that size with that kind of grit and energy.
I think King as the games have progressed has been a little better and I think they'll keep him up. Although I think he'd be better on the 3rd line, maybe that would help Stoll get going.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote