HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Tony Marinaro: Three people he think could do the job in Montreal

Old
02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
So our next GM is a guy who scouted toews and kane(no brainers) and has less than a year experience as assistant GM?

Based on his limited scouting and managerial experience, I'd rather Timmins and I don't think Timmins is ready.
He's been with the Hawks for 7 years, as a coach and a front office guy. He's been there during the rise from bottom to Champions.

I mean, the guy might not have a huge amount of experience, but he's been part of the reshaping of a franchise from terrible to greatness.

He also has over 1000 games of NHL experience. That's a pretty solid overall resume.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The fact people want mcguire makes me weep for this team. Can't believe the fanbase has sunk this low.
To be fair, our range of selection is pretty limited because of language issues.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:19 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
He's been with the Hawks for 7 years, as a coach and a front office guy. He's been there during the rise from bottom to Champions.

I mean, the guy might not have a huge amount of experience, but he's been part of the reshaping of a franchise from terrible to greatness.

He also has over 1000 games of NHL experience. That's a pretty solid overall resume.
You realize in the 2006, 2007 and 2008 drafts combined...only 2 players drafted by the hawks during his time as a scout/player development are NHL regulars. Patrick kane(1st overall) and Toews(3rd overall).

I can understand if he has other qualities, but I'm sure there's much better options out there. That's my point.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
To be fair, our range of selection is pretty limited because of language issues.
That is even worse. To think people are excluded because of the language they speak is embarrassing. Gauthier will probably stay on and hopefully he doesn't bend to the will of the morons and chooses the best option regardless of language.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
That is even worse. To think people are excluded because of the language they speak is embarrassing. Gauthier will probably stay on and hopefully he doesn't bend to the will of the morons and chooses the best option regardless of language.
I don't agree with it. I hope whoever is on board goes for the best players/coaches/GMs regardless of language as well. Unforunately, in the case of coach, since you have Gauthier slotted in the GM role, I think Gauthier will bend and as much as I don't like Gauthier, I think most GMs would.

Old
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Pierre did interview for the Wild GM position. I believe he also did for TB but I may be wrong.
According to Melnick's article on McGuire, he's been close to a GM position a number of times:

"I think Pierre Mcguire should be running an NHL hockey management team. He interviewed for the GM post in Calgary that eventually went to Craig Button. Pierre told the Flames they needed to invest a lot of money to rebuild their infrastructure. The Flames, in the bad old days of the low Canadian dollar, thought otherwise. They're still looking for that second Stanley Cup. Pierre almost became the GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Yep, I believe it's a matter of record by now. The Leafs wanted to bring Scotty Bowman in as head of hockey operations. Scotty would have named Pierre GM. But the Leafs refused to move John Ferguson Jr. out of the picture. Bowman said no. Ferguson, finally fired by Toronto a year later, now scouts for San Jose. Pierre came very close to getting the Wild GM job in the wonderful hockey market of Minnesota but lost out to Chuck Fletcher. Ironically, if Pierre had agreed to become Ray Shero's assistant in Pittsburgh when his old friend came calling it might have eventually landed him that Minnesota job. The Stars hired Fletcher after he worked under Shero in Pittsburgh. "

More nice words from Melnick in this article : http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/MM0060.php

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
If two guys are in the same ball park (experience, strategies, social skills...), they will, rightfully so, choose the bilingual candidate.

But if Holland (one can dream!) becomes available, I am sure they would hire him. Imo the bilingual prerequisite only has an effect when you compare guys like Patrick Roy, Pascal Vincent and Randy Cunneyworth.

PS I know that Patrick Roy, Pascal Vincent and Randy Cunneyworth are coaches but the concept is also valid for the GM position.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
You realize in the 2006, 2007 and 2008 drafts combined...only 2 players drafted by the hawks during his time as a scout/player development are NHL regulars. Patrick kane(1st overall) and Toews(3rd overall).

I can understand if he has other qualities, but I'm sure there's much better options out there. That's my point.
He was a pro scout until he went as an Asst. coach in 08-09. So their drafts are irrevelevant. He was only director of player personnel from 09 to 11, and then was promoted to asst. GM.

During his time as a pro scout, they acquired Patrick Sharp, Andrew Ladd, Ben Eager and Brian Campbell, who were all important members of the Stanley Cup winning team. How much of it was him pitching? I don't know.

All I know is that people in a front office during the rebuild of a team from rags to riches, who are very well perceived by their peers, should be seen as good hockey minds.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
But if Holland (one can dream!) becomes available, I am sure they would hire him.
Réjean Tremblay, Bertrand Raymond and Patrick Lagacé don't give a damn about accomplishments. French speaking or scandal.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Réjean Tremblay, Bertrand Raymond and Patrick Lagacé don't give a damn about accomplishments. French speaking or scandal.
As I mentioned if two guys are in the same ball park, they will, rightfully so, choose the bilingual candidate.

But if a Holland becomes available, I am sure they would hire him. Imo the bilingual prerequisite only has an effect when you compare (coaches example) guys like Patrick Roy, Pascal Vincent and Randy Cunneyworth.

Side note: Patrick Lagacé? What did he write on this topic?

Old
02-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I think it's pretty obvious that Lafleurs Guy is the right choice for GM. Besides, I can speak French.

My first order of business is to lower beer prices...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:09 PM
WhiskeySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think it's pretty obvious that Lafleurs Guy is the right choice for GM. Besides, I can speak French.

And ticket prices.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
As I mentioned if two guys are in the same ball park, they will, rightfully so, choose the bilingual candidate.

But if a Holland becomes available, I am sure they would hire him. Imo the bilingual prerequisite only has an effect when you compare (coaches example) guys like Patrick Roy, Pascal Vincent and Randy Cunneyworth.

Side note: Patrick Lagacé? What did he write on this topic?
Dude, every journalist wrote the same ****.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Dude, every journalist wrote the same ****.
Can you provide me with a quote/link by Lagacé?

EDIT:

nm I did find it (in French): http://blogues.cyberpresse.ca/lagace...s-que-un-club/

He mentioned that the Montreal Canadiens are more than just a hockey club (he joined a picture of the FC Barcelone to his article) and its history is deeply entrenched within our culture. He also mentioned that if a guy like Babcock becomes available, the Habs should hire him.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-23-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old
02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
As per the Team 990 and Tony Marinaro it MAY go down like this in the summer:

If they want to keep it the same but make a change at the top...

- Julien Brisebois

If they want to go with the guy that has the vision, knows the teams, players and GM's in the league, has worked and been groomed by Scotty Bowman and will be a fresh mindset then it will be...

- Pierre McGuire

If they want to interview the dark horse with the outside chance...

- Marc Bergevin
Pierre McGuire...OMG !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:19 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Good move. Bell's crowds will need a lot next season to have fun over there.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:21 PM
Coldplay
Courage

WestIslander's infatuation with Tony's irrelevant asininities is moderately to extremely disconcerting.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:28 PM
andy28

No to McGuire.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Coldplay
Courage

I don't know how anyone can say "no to McGuire" after the garbage we've had to go through in the Gainey era.

It can't get any worse.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
I don't know how anyone can say "no to McGuire" after the garbage we've had to go through in the Gainey era.

It can't get any worse.
Because we are tired of garbage.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Because we are tired of garbage.
Not that I'm a massive McGuire fan - but you wouldn't know if he'd be garbage as a GM or not.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:35 PM
habitue*

Quote:
The GM can be unilingual Chinese, it doesn't really matter.

But you need at least one of the two main guys (preferably, the coach) to be BILINGUAL.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
andy28

Quote:
Not that I'm a massive McGuire fan - but you wouldn't know if he'd be garbage as a GM or not.
Wonderful logic. He can say that in his interview.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
Wonderful logic. He can say that in his interview.
Let me spell it out for you: he's never been a GM in this league, therefore there is no actual evidence to support your baseless claim he would be garbabge.

Old
02-23-2012, 02:38 PM
andy28

Quote:
Let me spell it out for you: he's never been a GM in this league, therefore there is no actual evidence to support your baseless claim he would be garbabge.
I have never been a brain surgeon, so there is no evidence to support I would be terrible at brain surgery. Saying that there is no evidence someone would do a terrible job is not a good endorsement.