HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Per Tony Marinaro: Three people he think could do the job in Montreal

Old
02-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
First, very first time that someone says this. Well done. Yeah good ol George Gillet, nice guy.

Bet not. It is a very good bet that he told Bo to make the playoffs no matter what, every year.

This is thread worthy. It would explain many many things.
That doesn't really do much to defend Gainey's decisions...

Does Bob Gainey strike you as the type of person who would let some "suit" dictate to him how to run his team?

was he really that hard up for cash that he couldn't risk standing his ground?

I don't buy it.

Every owner wants to make the playoffs, and every GM is under "pressure" to ice a team capable of making the playoffs.

You hire a guy with the prestige/pedigree of a Gainey to let him do his job, not to push him around and make him do what he's told (that's why you hire a Garth Snow )

i appreciate that people are desperate to find excuses to explain the mediocrity of Gainey's tenure, but unfortunately, the reality is that he wasn't a very good GM. He outspent most of the league to build a winner in Dallas, and when he lost that competitive edge, he proved inept at building a contending roster. The reality is that he inherited a lineup, not unlike the one we have now, that had several quality pieces in place... instead of building from that and icing a contending team, his lack of vision led to counter-productive decisions and asset squandering that led to a consistent level of mediocre play with the occasional up/down swing.
the '09 summer debacle sums up his tenure pretty well. If it were not for the league-best drafting we've had since Timmins has been running that department, we'd be looking at a much bleaker picture today.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Can anyone confirm this report. WestIslander is known for misinterpreting/misreporting what is said on the radio.
Was that really necessary? What does it add to the discussion, really? Come on folks, I'd like to think we're better than that, and able to stick to a topic instead of putting down other fellow members.

As for the names mentioned, Brisebois is the only one I'd consider off that short list. Better though, I'd like to see Molson convince Pierre Lacroix.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
habitue*

[QUOTE=Habsterix;44792733]Was that really necessary? What does it add to the discussion, really? Come on folks, I'd like to think we're better than that, and able to stick to a topic instead of putting down other fellow members.

As for the names mentioned, Brisebois is the only one I'd consider off that short list. Better though, I'd like to see Molson convince Pierre Lacroix.[/QUOTE]

He is not even GM in Colorado anymore since years. he is the president. Why would he moved back to Montreal/Quebec ? He,s over thre since more than 15 years now and he is not any younger.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
That doesn't really do much to defend Gainey's decisions...

Does Bob Gainey strike you as the type of person who would let some "suit" dictate to him how to run his team?

was he really that hard up for cash that he couldn't risk standing his ground?

I don't buy it.

Every owner wants to make the playoffs, and every GM is under "pressure" to ice a team capable of making the playoffs.

You hire a guy with the prestige/pedigree of a Gainey to let him do his job, not to push him around and make him do what he's told (that's why you hire a Garth Snow )

i appreciate that people are desperate to find excuses to explain the mediocrity of Gainey's tenure, but unfortunately, the reality is that he wasn't a very good GM. He outspent most of the league to build a winner in Dallas, and when he lost that competitive edge, he proved inept at building a contending roster. The reality is that he inherited a lineup, not unlike the one we have now, that had several quality pieces in place... instead of building from that and icing a contending team, his lack of vision led to counter-productive decisions and asset squandering that led to a consistent level of mediocre play with the occasional up/down swing.
the '09 summer debacle sums up his tenure pretty well. If it were not for the league-best drafting we've had since Timmins has been running that department, we'd be looking at a much bleaker picture today.
As I said before, I actually feel like Gainey's first half wasn't all that bad. I can't help but think that his personal tragedies had to have a negative effect on the 2nd part of his tenure. I mean seriously, you go through something like that... how can you think straight?

Yes, he ultimately turned out to be a bad GM but I can forgive him given the circumstances.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:43 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
As I said before, I actually feel like Gainey's first half wasn't all that bad. I can't help but think that his personal tragedies had to have a negative effect on the 2nd part of his tenure. I mean seriously, you go through something like that... how can you think straight?

Yes, he ultimately turned out to be a bad GM but I can forgive him given the circumstances.
Let's forgive them all, then.

Even Sam Pollock was making big mistakes.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

no doubt...

Gm's, coaches, players... these are all people and at various times will experience personal tragedies/issues that impacts their ability to perform.

i wonder if "forgiving" a professional for poor performance is really necessary? It's not like he "tried" to make the team mediocre, or willfully made moves he knew were "bad"... he just made a lot of mistakes, and ultimately performed poorly in his job.

Gainey's remains a well-respected and revered member of the Montreal Canadiens heritage, his accomplishments as a player with the organization rightfully ensure that this will never (or should never) change. But much like Houle or Tremblay, his tenure away from the ice was a failure, and unfortunately is part of his story with the team... the "excuses", no matter how legit or understandable, don't change the end result.

It's frustrating to see that he still has a hand in how the team is run, and it's why ownership is ultimately culpable for this ongoing mess. Gainey & his chosen successor need to go, and the longer they have their hand in the direction of the team, the greater the blame for our continued mediocrity rests in ownerships hands.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
psychonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Was that really necessary? What does it add to the discussion, really? Come on folks, I'd like to think we're better than that, and able to stick to a topic instead of putting down other fellow members.

As for the names mentioned, Brisebois is the only one I'd consider off that short list. Better though, I'd like to see Molson convince Pierre Lacroix.
Paul Fenton would be my sensible choice. Mcguire (gm) and Roy (coach) would be my interesting choice.

psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:35 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Yeah, Pierre really 'knows' all the NHL players, being a media guy and all.

News for you, most players can't stand the media guys, and with good reason.

That is in fact the number one reason I don't want this guy near the Habs. Not one player will ever take him seriously. Ever.
No one loves the CEO/Upper Management or the GM. Most people think that their CEO is an overpaid arrogant ass. But they have a job that provides for their families. Few people ever think about the CEO during their day to day activities.

Same with hockey. The GM's job is to assemble the best players to create a winning team. His job is not to be the motivator of players. The GM will not be on the ice discussing strategy and practicing plays. That is the coaches job.

GM to sign the players. Coach to get the players to win. Your last statement would be relevant if this discussion was about Pierre McGuire becoming the next head coach of the Habs.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:30 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
i dont really care if mcguire becomes the next GM and miller time's list showed what positive he brings but i'd be worried at his use of absolutes when describing players and emotional stability.

i will say this though, there is the TV pierre, and there is the radio pierre. so who knows... what a creep though

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote