HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Emelin potential

Old
02-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Destoker

vCash: 500
Emelin potential

Just wondering what you guys think Kaboom potential is?

I just love the way he plays the game, i haven't seen a lot of defenseman with the tool this guys has. Build like a tank, plays like a tank. Above-average skating with a great first pass and shot. Will annihilate people with passion. Will never takes a shift off.. can't remember one in the entire season... Add to that some magnificent hockey IQ. He can join the attack very well, he sees the opportunity in a split second and knows where to go in the o zone. He will rule our PP when he'll get the chance... Sometimes he reminds me of markov with the cross ice one touch passes like the one he did tonight... He can see the ice so well... Imagine him in a real system....

Remember he's still on a leash, learning the language and it's his rookie season. What kind of monster will we have in 2 years??

Last edited by Destoker: 02-25-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Destoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 04:22 AM
Mrb1p

A much more physical and younger (Thus faster..) Hamrlik.
And that is a compliment as Hamrlik could be the best Dman to ever come out of Czech Rep so no biggie !
Hamrlik did the offense pinch alot too. He had a great vision, was poised, was a great skater when he was younger and was overall really great.

I don't expect Emelin to put up young Hamrlik number's although.

30 Point's is envisagable.

Comparing him to Markov is kinda Unfair.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:12 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
A much more physical and younger (Thus faster..) Hamrlik.
And that is a compliment as Hamrlik could be the best Dman to ever come out of Czech Rep so no biggie !
Hamrlik did the offense pinch alot too. He had a great vision, was poised, was a great skater when he was younger and was overall really great.

I don't expect Emelin to put up young Hamrlik number's although.

30 Point's is envisagable.

Comparing him to Markov is kinda Unfair.
good comparison.

and about comparing him to markov, it is unfair, but more than a few times this he gave us markov-esque moves but hey, a man can dream

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:20 AM
wedge

I don't see Emelin putting 30 points on the board. He's already old and the only improvment he's going to make from now on is about his adjustment to North America.

20 points is a possibility but 30 points? no way.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:27 AM
FisherKing

Within the next 2 years he'll be the Habs best defenseman. Just no weaknesses in his game. Very cool under pressure, never gets rattled and always makes the right play. This guy was definitely worth the wait.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:57 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destoker View Post
Just wondering what you guys think Kaboom potential is?

I just love the way he plays the game, i haven't seen a lot of defenseman with the tool this guys has. Build like a tank, plays like a tank. Above-average skating with a great first pass and shot. Will annihilate people with passion. Will never takes a shift off.. can't remember one in the entire season... Add to that some magnificent hockey IQ. He can join the attack very well, he sees the opportunity in a split second and knows where to go in the o zone. He will rule our PP when he'll get the chance... Sometimes he reminds me of markov with the cross ice one touch passes like the one he did tonight... He can see the ice so well... Imagine him in a real system....

Remember he's still on a leash, learning the language and it's his rookie season. What kind of monster will we have in 2 years??
shutdown 4 ....better skating version of Reghier

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:07 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge View Post
I don't see Emelin putting 30 points on the board. He's already old and the only improvment he's going to make from now on is about his adjustment to North America.

20 points is a possibility but 30 points? no way.
i honestly can't tell if you are being serious....

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:25 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Top four, leading the team in hits and among the defence corps' top point-getters.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:14 AM
Habitant le colon

Darius Kasparaitis with better hands !

if we can get Voynov from L.A. this can be a good russian pairing!

Gorges Markov
Kaberle Diaz
Voynov Emelin
St-denis Weber
Tinordi Beaulieu
Pateryn Benett
Dietz Ellis

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:21 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
He needs to get more comfortable offensively. Defensively, he's been good and his aggressive nature has been sorely missed by the Habs for a long time. Maybe since Komisarek played his last game, or Mara to a less extent.

I think he has the potential to be a top 4 guy with the Darius Kasparaitis label pegged on him but he's not there yet.

Old
02-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I've noticed that when the other team is cycling the puck in our zone he'll just skate to the front of the net and wait. It's not bad, but it's as if someone told him to do that and it's stuck in his head. It's weird cause even if there's no one there and his defensive partner is struggling to cover the cycle, he'll just wait.

Anyway, I hope we get him locked down for a couple years so that he can stay and get comfortable. I think he would make a great pairing with Markov, assuming he comes back and plays at around the same level he was at before. It would be like Markov/Komisarek 2.0, except Emelin is a better skater and likes to pinch more, and he makes less mistakes defensively.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:38 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Darius Kasparaitis with better hands !

if we can get Voynov from L.A. this can be a good russian pairing!

Gorges Markov
Kaberle Diaz
Voynov Emelin
St-denis Weber
Tinordi Beaulieu
Pateryn Benett
Dietz Ellis
You seem to be missing PK? Unless your replacing P.K with Voynov and thats a no-no. Rather have P.K. thank you.Also Markov may never return.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:44 AM
BLONG7

Love this guy!!! One of our few bright spots this season...sign him asap PG !!!!

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdog View Post
You seem to be missing PK? Unless your replacing P.K with Voynov and thats a no-no. Rather have P.K. thank you.Also Markov may never return.
we can put subban if we do Kostitsyn for voynov straight up but as i have done on thread trade proposal i think we should trade pk for another top 6 quality player ... i was thinking that one of Brown Clowe or Ryan can be the researched guy ... i do hate subban lack of maturity and prefer to have an hardworker and quiet guy to replace him !!

Gorges Markov
Kaberle Subban
Voynov Emelin
Weber Diaz
St-Denis Nash
Tinordi Beaulieu
Pateryn Benett
Dietz Ellis

as for Markov I have a scoop : he'll be back sooner than anyone do think ! i give him about 3 weeks but can be before as we see him at the pratice with the guys this week !

Old
02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
we can put subban if we do Kostitsyn for voynov straight up but as i have done on thread trade proposal i think we should trade pk for another top 6 quality player ... i was thinking that one of Brown Clowe or Ryan can be the researched guy ... i do hate subban lack of maturity and prefer to have an hardworker and quiet guy to replace him !!

Gorges Markov
Kaberle Subban
Voynov Emelin
Weber Diaz
St-Denis Nash
Tinordi Beaulieu
Pateryn Benett
Dietz Ellis

as for Markov I have a scoop : he'll be back sooner than anyone do think ! i give him about 3 weeks but can be before as we see him at the pratice with the guys this week !
P.K will not be traded. Hopefully our management is not that stupid or our owner will step in to stop that kind of travasty.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
P.K will not be traded. Hopefully our management is not that stupid or our owner will step in to stop that kind of travasty.
he might be a top pairing d-man but I do trade him still to improve our offensive top 6 ... this is no stupid thing but risk !

anyway this is a Emelin thread ... this guy, already father, will show more skill next year and take gill's spot on penality killing!

Last edited by Habitant le colon: 02-25-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Old
02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
habdynasty

Quote:
Don't make the same mistake as trading Chelios. P.k should be a hab for a long time.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 09:09 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
he might be a top pairing d-man but I do trade him still to improve our offensive top 6 ... this is no stupid thing but risk !
P.K is Markovs replacement. We have othe ways to improve our top 6.
You don't trade a top pairing D-man to replace him with a top 6 player. thats foolish.
For a top 1st line player maybe depending on who that player is but not a top 6.

Old
02-25-2012, 09:58 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Top four 2-way defenseman with elite hitting capability.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Et le But

A bigger Kronwall.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:33 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
i honestly can't tell if you are being serious....
why not?
it's not like he'll become more talented like a 20-year-old prospect. He's almost 26! Sure he'll improve. He'll be more confident and more accustumed to north america. But he won't be more talented, he won't be faster, etc... I see improvement, but not in the sense of being a 5 points in 50 games player to a 30 points player. That's a huge difference. He's not an offensive d-man.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
why not?
it's not like he'll become more talented like a 20-year-old prospect. He's almost 26! Sure he'll improve. He'll be more confident and more accustumed to north america. But he won't be more talented, he won't be faster, etc... I see improvement, but not in the sense of being a 5 points in 50 games player to a 30 points player. That's a huge difference. He's not an offensive d-man.
His point production this year is irrelevant, he supports the offense better than some our "so called" offensive Dman (Weber,Diaz,Campoli)

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 10:55 AM
yianik

I think he can be a very solid top 4 who could fill into the top 2 as the defensive side of the pairing if need be. He plays good positionally but I think every now and then he will make a gaff that creates a scoring play the other way. I know all players make gaffs but Im just saying that I think a guy like Gorges, another defensive player will make fewer gaffs than Emelin. The gaffs are far outweighed by the physical play he brings. Again, as I have posted elsewhere, I believe he is UFA after next year and I dont want to risk losing him. Even if he isnt top 4 right now and a contract around $1.5M is in order for say next year, Id rather take the plunge and pay him as a top 4 for a long term deal, say $15.5 ( $1.5 as an RFA for this year and 4 years at $ 3.5M )over 5 years.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

anyway this is a Emelin thread ... this guy, already father, will show more skill next year and take gill's spot on penality killing!
There is no point in filling a hole by creating another.
PK leaving would create a huge hole.
Btw, if you trade PK for offense, you need to get a top 3 player, so a top liner, a 1pt/gp player at the very least, not a top 6 player.

In any event, PK has franchise player potential. You don't trade those players unless you get a massive return. Not gonna happen.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
why not?
Emelin should be used on the PP, he proved it last year in Russia. He has good offensive vision, a decent shot, and nice passer. There's no reason to think 30pts is out of the question for him. He just needs to be used on the PP.

Also, how can you say this guy is old? He's what, 25-26???

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote