HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Trade Deadline Article written by "The Player" on Puck Daddy

Old
02-24-2012, 11:50 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
How about Ethan Moreau?

Long time vet that played for the Hawks and Oilers, has worn a visor, has been active in the player/union thing and the articles sound as if the player familiar with that type of thing. I'm not sure if the trades part works but I did see the Samsonov for two players trade mentioned earlier on and there was a lot of speculation before the deadline the oilers were after him. They had a good team with Pronger that year that ended up going to the finals.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:04 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

On closer investigation. It looks like 2003 Calgary may be out. Dupont was in the minors and could not have been at the practice on deadline day.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:07 PM
mpleafan

Im thinkin 2005-2006 edmonton oilers may be a good pick? they aquired samsonov who was fairly good at the time.(i kno not exactly superstar material but whatever) then in 2009-2010 they traded staios and visnowsky on the same day, who were both older vets hemsky, horcoff, jf jaques, ethan moreau, fernando pisano, marc pouliot all were on the roster in 05-06 and 09-10 that is my analysis, although im probably wrong.

mpleafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:35 PM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=259106

Not that it means anything, given how teams report injuries, but The Player says the injury occurred during practice after a collision with a teammate, the article says the arm was broken during a game after a hit by Dustin Boy.

EDIT: The date is from well before the deadline, maybe he came back too early and re-injured the arm?

EDIT2: http://espn.go.com/nhl/player/gamelo...ieu-dandenault Looks like he came back mid-February and doesn't have any significant time missed after that.
Seems like we might have to expand the search to "upper body" because there aren't many broken arms suffered throughout that time period (near the deadline), at least findable on Google News.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
cori
Awesomesauce

CSI: HFBoards

Love it

cori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Lambda

It's very interesting to watch you guys extract all the info you can from this to try and narrow it down, but isn't this quest a little immoral? The guy is giving us fans a greatly appreciated window into the world of an NHL player, but has done so anonymously, saying things like "the other conference" in order to obscure his identity.

He's doing us a favor by writing this blog, shouldn't we respect his wish to remain anonymous?

Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:54 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBarbs91 View Post
It's very interesting to watch you guys extract all the info you can from this to try and narrow it down, but isn't this quest a little immoral? The guy is giving us fans a greatly appreciated window into the world of an NHL player, but has done so anonymously, saying things like "the other conference" in order to obscure his identity.

He's doing us a favor by writing this blog, shouldn't we respect his wish to remain anonymous?
I'm pretty sure Jesus would've been all over this ****.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:57 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

I really do think it's Steve Sullivan. It makes sense, having missed a good portion of his career due to injury, that he may have taken up hockey journalism if he couldn't fully recover.

The inter-conference trade with a big name forward was Forsberg. He's been traded on his UFA years (I believe) multiple times (From Jersey to Toronto and from Chicago to Nashville).

I love the CSI: Hockey thing that pops up occasionally. Haven't had this much fun since trying to figure out which specific games were being mentioned in the Campbell emails.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:09 PM
Cruiser008

The sleuthing on this THREAD is a darn good read.

btw in Yahoo Canada the link to this blog post shows a player in a Nashville Preds jersey.

Cruiser008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:13 PM
RegDunlop73

Although I'd assume that it is an anonymous player writing this to give us their perspective on things, it's worth noting that it could just be a zealous blogger trying to generate interest (but I don't really think so). Just an element for the CSI crowd at work to think about.

Good article.

RegDunlop73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

Quote:

Yeah, I kinda agree with this.

Although, this is like playing Clue if Clue were 100 times harder. I see the appeal.

Uemoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 01:37 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:

cmon, dont be a june cleaver. i too find this interesting. immoral is the last thing it is.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:09 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I really do think it's Steve Sullivan. It makes sense, having missed a good portion of his career due to injury, that he may have taken up hockey journalism if he couldn't fully recover.

The inter-conference trade with a big name forward was Forsberg. He's been traded on his UFA years (I believe) multiple times (From Jersey to Toronto and from Chicago to Nashville).

I love the CSI: Hockey thing that pops up occasionally. Haven't had this much fun since trying to figure out which specific games were being mentioned in the Campbell emails.
I'm thinking Sullivan, too. In 2003, when he was with Chicago, three guys (Housley, Berezin, and Thomas) were traded from the rostered team on deadline day. I notice that Housley didn't play a game for Chicago after February 14th that year. And subsequently only one game for his new team, Toronto. If he was injured at the time, that would explain only two guts (Berezin and Thomas) being pulled from practice.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:43 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
No luck yet?

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Kegsey
#joeMONEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
No luck yet?
Im totally just hitting refresh every hour too haha, this is amazing.

Kegsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:20 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
Darcy Hordichuk is my vote for "The Player"

- He's a current player (Darcy Hordichuk, Edmonton 2010, and he has a history of running his own website and blog)

- He's been an upcoming UFA that the team had no interest in resigning "a few times in his career". That means he's not been considered a "core player" by any means, and is likely one of the many "mercenary" players the league has. It also means he's likely an older guy (UFA after Florida in 2004, UFA after Nashville/Carolina in 2008, and UFA after Vancouver traded him to Florida in 2011)

- He once played for a "really good, young team" that everyone expected to become a contender soon. That team traded away two players (who may or may not have been "older guys") at the deadline. With the distinction of making them "older guys", it implies that he might have been younger when this happened. (Played on Florida in 2003-04 with Luongo, Bouwmeester, Jokinen, Horton, Weiss, etc. at the peak of their hype. They traded away their two oldest forwards - Viktor Kozlov and Valeri Bure - the week before the deadline)

- He once played for a "really good team" that acquired a big-name forward from the opposite conference at the deadline for two players. (Again, Ryan Parent and Scottie Upshall for Peter Forsberg. Yes it was a week and a half before the deadline, but that paragraph only says heading into the deadline - This year alone we have been "heading into the deadline" for the last month with TSN hype....)
He was the first player I thought of after reading it as well

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:28 PM
nyrleetch

Great top comment on the yahoo page.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 03:38 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbr86 View Post
Darcy Hordichuk is my vote for "The Player"

- He's a current player (Darcy Hordichuk, Edmonton 2010, and he has a history of running his own website and blog)

- He's been an upcoming UFA that the team had no interest in resigning "a few times in his career". That means he's not been considered a "core player" by any means, and is likely one of the many "mercenary" players the league has. It also means he's likely an older guy (UFA after Florida in 2004, UFA after Nashville/Carolina in 2008, and UFA after Vancouver traded him to Florida in 2011)

- He once played for a "really good, young team" that everyone expected to become a contender soon. That team traded away two players (who may or may not have been "older guys") at the deadline. With the distinction of making them "older guys", it implies that he might have been younger when this happened. (Played on Florida in 2003-04 with Luongo, Bouwmeester, Jokinen, Horton, Weiss, etc. at the peak of their hype. They traded away their two oldest forwards - Viktor Kozlov and Valeri Bure - the week before the deadline)

- He once played for a "really good team" that acquired a big-name forward from the opposite conference at the deadline for two players. (Again, Ryan Parent and Scottie Upshall for Peter Forsberg. Yes it was a week and a half before the deadline, but that paragraph only says heading into the deadline - This year alone we have been "heading into the deadline" for the last month with TSN hype....)
Actually, the fact that Bure was traded March 8 and Kozlov was traded March 1 of 2004 pretty much disproves Hordichuk as a possibility. The article is very specific that they left the same practice b/c the equipment guy called them both over.

Old
02-24-2012, 03:47 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Great top comment on the yahoo page.
Just looked. Yeah thats pretty good.

Common HF!

Old
02-24-2012, 03:54 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Why?

Credit to El Slewfoot For this Yahoo Comment.

"the player who wrote this is very likely craig adams of the pittsburgh pens. first the sutle hints- this article is obviously written by a very smart person as it eclipses and then laps anything written by the normal bloggers, craig adams is a harvard graduate. in a previous article, the player talked about visors and him not wearing one, adams doesnt wear a visor. in another article, the player went into detail about kris letangs suspension, very easy to do if your on the team and know all the facts. the player saying that hes nervous during the trade deadline means that hes likely a 3rd to 4th liner, as adams is. also, this article seems to be written by someone with experience with mid season trading, adams has 2ce been traded during the season. now for the grand finale- the trade he talks about is when he was with the 2006 hurricanes when they got doug weight from st louis (cross conference trade, as stated in the article) for... zigomanis and Boulerice. in the article, he states that "we got him... for 2 players to be named" the "dot dot dot" in the middle of that sentence eludes to the fact that there were more pieces of the puzzle that he didnt write about. carolina also received rights to rajamaki, and carolina also sent the rights of unsigned pick kahnburg and 3 draft picks."

Old
02-24-2012, 03:59 PM
shadow1

Based on the quality of writing, my guess is Pavel Datsyuk.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 04:58 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

On the Craig Adams theory, in 07-08 he was with the Chicago Blackhawks, an up and coming team. Martin Lapointe (age 33) was traded Feb 26 (deadline day) to Ottawa for a 6th round pick and Tuomo Ruutu (age 24) was traded Feb 26 to Carolina for Andrew Ladd.

Adams had arrived on that Blackhawk team from Carolina on January 17.

The only slight quibble is Ruutu was not a vet. He said both players "knew it might be coming" and "We had a few older guys who clearly weren't in the team's long term plans." Ruutu, however, was in his fourth season with the Hawks and it was a down year. They also traded an older Magnus Johansson but that was a week before Adams arrived. Jim Vandermeer was 28 and was traded to Clagary on Feb 20, about a week before the deadline.

But the Weight trade fits (that "really good team" won the Cup) and the Blackhawks did indeed trade two players off an up and coming team at the deadline.

I think it's Craig Adams.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Blueline Bomber
Noah MAN-ifin

The problem with the Doug Weight trade is it wasn't done near the trade deadline. It was done in late January. Carolina did make a trade for a big name forward at the deadline that year, but it was Mark Recchi, not cross-conference.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
The problem with the Doug Weight trade is it wasn't done near the trade deadline. It was done in late January. Carolina did make a trade for a big name forward at the deadline that year, but it was Mark Recchi, not cross-conference.
He said it was "heading into the deadline." Implies not deadline day. The Weight trade was January 30, 2006, four weeks before the deadline on Feb 27. The Hurricanes were 36-11-4 on the day of the trade. They had played at home against Atlanta on January 28, and they played in Montreal on January 31, so they would have been leaving their apartments to fly to Montreal on January 30 when it happened. So far, nothing fails to fit The Craig Adams Theory.

Old
02-24-2012, 05:15 PM
hockeyball

The story about the guy hurting his 'arm' and then not passing xray could be Kyle McLarren maybe?

He was traded to Philly wasn't it, then didn't pass, and sent back to Worcester to finish out his contract. Hasn't played since.

Sharks were not near the bottom of the standings though... so I guess not...

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote