HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Trade Deadline Article written by "The Player" on Puck Daddy

Old
02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
Credit to El Slewfoot For this Yahoo Comment.

"the player who wrote this is very likely craig adams of the pittsburgh pens. first the sutle hints- this article is obviously written by a very smart person as it eclipses and then laps anything written by the normal bloggers, craig adams is a harvard graduate. in a previous article, the player talked about visors and him not wearing one, adams doesnt wear a visor. in another article, the player went into detail about kris letangs suspension, very easy to do if your on the team and know all the facts. the player saying that hes nervous during the trade deadline means that hes likely a 3rd to 4th liner, as adams is. also, this article seems to be written by someone with experience with mid season trading, adams has 2ce been traded during the season. now for the grand finale- the trade he talks about is when he was with the 2006 hurricanes when they got doug weight from st louis (cross conference trade, as stated in the article) for... zigomanis and Boulerice. in the article, he states that "we got him... for 2 players to be named" the "dot dot dot" in the middle of that sentence eludes to the fact that there were more pieces of the puzzle that he didnt write about. carolina also received rights to rajamaki, and carolina also sent the rights of unsigned pick kahnburg and 3 draft picks."
...What? Obviously written by a very smart person? It's typical blog writing with the clumsy language that's become a typical of internet correspondance. Not that this disproves Adams, just that this comment stinks of someone shoehorning in every possible correlation and calling it evidence.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:19 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
He said it was "heading into the deadline." Implies not deadline day. The Weight trade was January 30, 2006, four weeks before the deadline on Feb 27. The Hurricanes were 36-11-4 on the day of the trade. They had played at home against Atlanta on January 28, and they played in Montreal on January 31, so they would have been leaving their apartments to fly to Montreal on January 30 when it happened. So far, nothing fails to fit The Craig Adams Theory.
If we accept that Weight fits, why wouldn't the Ray Whitney mentioned earlier in the topic fit as well?

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:23 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

I'm surprised an NHL player is capable of writing this well.

ThisIsMyAlibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyAlibi View Post
I'm surprised an NHL player is capable of writing this well.
Read "The Game", by Ken Dryden. Not just a great hockey book, a great book, period.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 06:58 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
If we accept that Weight fits, why wouldn't the Ray Whitney mentioned earlier in the topic fit as well?
Whitney can't be ruled out based on the Carolina trade. That definitely counts.

Whitney's Phoenix Coyotes traded Sami Lepisto (25) and Scottie Upshall (26) on deadline day last year, and the Coyotes would have been at home practicing in the late morning right before the deadline. Was Phoenix considered an up and coming contender last year? 33-21-10 at the time of the trade. That's the best chance of it fitting him, but the fact that they're both younger doesn't fit as well as the Adams thing fits the Blackhawks.

It would be weird to describe the 01-02 and 02-03 Blue Jackets as up and coming contenders. Same with 03-04 Red Wings. Florida had already seen its one Cup Finals come and go before Whitney arrived with them two years later in 97-98. They had one playoff year where they were swept, 99-00. That Panthers team traded 22yo Radek Dvorak, 23yo Ryan Johnson, 22yo Dwayne Hay and 32yo Sean Burke. Burke is the only older player and he was traded early in the season. Dvorak was traded Dec 30. Johnson (67 NHL games) and Hay (fringe player) were way too young to fit the profile of older players not fitting in the plans. They were traded at the deadline March 14 to Tampa for Mike Sillinger.

Ironically, I actually remember Whitney from covering the Sharks locker room one of the years he was with them. They were never considered a contender back then, they were a recent expansion team. I was in the locker room shortly after the popular captain Jeff Norton was traded for Janney (soft player, horrible attitude, he went out of his way to make sure the press hated him). Ulf Dahlen, now that was a class act and standup guy. Norton too. Was Friesen's rookie year.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 07:02 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I would also add, as a Blues fan, it would have been utterly pointless to trade Weight for Whitney. There's no way Whitney would have thought he'd be one of a package going back for Weight, and no way the Blues were looking for that kind of return. Whitney had 55pts in 63GP regular season, whereas Adams was a 21pts in 67GP guy. Adams was 28, Whitney was 33. Just wouldn't have been remotely logical for the Blues to be trying to do more than get draft picks, as they finished dead last that year.

Chances of it being Whitney are WAYYYYYYYY lower than Adams IMO.

Old
02-24-2012, 07:11 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Read "The Game", by Ken Dryden. Not just a great hockey book, a great book, period.
really? certainly a worth reading, but its structure is not the best, imho. it is better than i could do, but he often rambles and goes off on tangents, telling two separate stories just to get to the point of his original story.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:03 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
"inside mad"

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
Common HF!

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
The story about the guy hurting his 'arm' and then not passing xray could be Kyle McLarren maybe?

He was traded to Philly wasn't it, then didn't pass, and sent back to Worcester to finish out his contract. Hasn't played since.

Sharks were not near the bottom of the standings though... so I guess not...
Nah, McLaren broke his hand, not arm. Really doubt this is McLaren.

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
mpleafan

"The words crawled along the bottom of the screen: "Team X acquires Player Y in exchange for …two players to be named later.""
do u think the "two players to be named later." were labeled as future considerations at the time? or something like that?

mpleafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:53 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpleafan View Post
"The words crawled along the bottom of the screen: "Team X acquires Player Y in exchange for …two players to be named later.""
do u think the "two players to be named later." were labeled as future considerations at the time? or something like that?
I'm pretty sure it's the Weight trade. That trade was about the picks. The Blues used the 30th overall to trade up to 25 and take Berglund. Zigomanis and Boulerice were completely insignificant but they would have been on the NHL roster and friends with The Player. Zigomanis played 2 games and Boulerice played 12 (of ~the remaining 30). They were just warm bodies. Somebody dig up that trade thread to see how the information was first put out.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Ten88Nineteen

This is the wording I keep finding on various forums (including HF) when it was first announced:

"The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired Doug Weight from the St. Louis Blues but it is just one part of a much larger trade involving other players and draft picks that won't be made official until after the Hurricanes and Blues complete the official trade conference call with the NHL."

Then shortly after:

"The Carolina Hurricanes have acquired Doug Weight and 27-year-old Finnish forward Erkki Rajamaki from the St. Louis Blues.

In exchange, Carolina gave to the Blues three draft picks and three players. The package includes:
- Carolina's first-round pick in 2006.
- Toronto's fourth-round pick in 2006, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.
- Chicago's fourth-round pick in 2007, previously acquired by the Hurricanes.
- Tough guy forward Jesse Boulerice, a 27-year-old eighth-year pro
- Forward Mike Zigomanis, a 25-year-old fifth-year pro
- Magnus Kahnberg, 25, an unsigned Carolina draftee from Sweden who will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 "

Doesn't really fit the description, but that doesn't mean a ticker somewhere didn't claim it was for 2 players.

Ten88Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:47 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Right but Rajamaki and Kahnberg were not roster players for either team. The only two roster players going back were Zigomanis and Boulerice. All that mattered was there was a slight lag in the announcement of which players were going back once Weight was announced as heading to Carolina. He saw the ticker but still didn't know who'd been sent back. There was a bit of a lag. He didn't mention all the draft picks and prospects because that would've made it more identifying and he was talking about it from a NHL roster player's perspective. It completely fits. That long wording you quoted would not have been what went across a ticker, that's way too wordy and long.

Adams would have been right in the wheelhouse of players who might've plausibly gone the other way (definitively ruling out Whitney). We've already definitively ruled out Hordichuk because he fits no second situation where he was on an up and comer where two players were called off the ice in the same practice and sent packing.

At this point the burden of proof is on someone to come up with a better possibility or it's Craig Adams.

Old
02-25-2012, 12:51 AM
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
really? certainly a worth reading, but its structure is not the best, imho. it is better than i could do, but he often rambles and goes off on tangents, telling two separate stories just to get to the point of his original story.
Totally agree. Hugely overrated book.

Not sure if my opinion is influenced by the fact that Dryden went on to become one of the most long-winded, tiresome individuals in the history of Canadian politics.

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 12:53 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I would also add that Ryan Parent and Scottie Upshall were traded to Philly in the Forsberg deal but Ryan Parent never played for Nashville so it would be hard for anyone on the Predators squad to claim they had a friend get traded. Parent had only been drafted 18 months before.

Old
02-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Chibi Ninja
SJ, Born and Raised

Wow, this is easily one of the most interesting threads on this board. XD

Putting in my two cents: Do Canadians write in Americanized English? A poster in the Yahoo comments section pointed out that all of the words in the articles are Americanized, which suggests that the articles are either being closely edited or are written by an American.

...although I guess it's not that hard to edit an article anyway. Hmm...

Chibi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 02:02 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
At this point the burden of proof is on someone to come up with a better possibility or it's Craig Adams.
...Or any other player on that Carolina team. As far as I can remember (and looking at the images on Google), Adams has never worn a visor.

And if it were the Doug Weight trade, wouldn't the ticker have included the 1st round pick also in the deal? A bigger thing to note than "Two players to be named later".

Old
02-25-2012, 03:10 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
...Or any other player on that Carolina team. As far as I can remember (and looking at the images on Google), Adams has never worn a visor.

And if it were the Doug Weight trade, wouldn't the ticker have included the 1st round pick also in the deal? A bigger thing to note than "Two players to be named later".
Not any other player. Specifically a player who would have thought he might be traded in a deal to St. Louis for Weight. That eliminates all the top players like Staal and Justin Williams and Erik Cole, for example. That also specifically eliminates Whitney. Absolutely, definitively. Why would a top player be worried he'd be shipped out? I know from the Blues' standpoint there were rumors for awhile about that kind of trade and of course we'd be getting draft picks as the main focus, as big name rentals usually do involve draft picks.

Also as for the ticker, the way he wrote it was "for ...two players to be named later" which means it could have absolutely said the draft pick in that scroll. The Player omitted that detail because a) it would be more identifying and b) because it is irrelevant to the article, as this is about the emotions of real people who would be dealt. Draft picks who aren't even selected yet are inapplicable for that. If you look at all the middling guys, Mike Commodore may have seen Arnott and McKay go off the ice for New Jersey in 01-02 but that Devils team in no way could be characterized as a young contender when it had won Cups. The rest of that Carolina team is retired or in Europe.

It has to be assumed to be Adams unless another player can be presented who fits all the criteria, especially the two players traded from an up and coming team on deadline day. Ladd played on Carolina as well as that 07-08 Chicago team but on deadline day he was in Carolina heading to Chicago for Ruutu. It really can't be the Forsberg trade because of Parent not being part of Nashville and having never joined the pro roster – The Player said he said goodbye to friends with that trade. Zigomanis and Boulerice were at least on the Hurricanes' roster. And I do recall they were specified later, after the trade had broken, because I was an interested Blues fan.

A key feature is familiarity with the ins and outs of the Letang suspension. Let's not forget that.

Old
02-25-2012, 05:03 PM
mpleafan

Come on HF! Someones gotta figure this out!!!

mpleafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 05:16 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Well, kudos as always to the HF braintrust that is trying to track this guy down (not that it really matters one way or another). With regards to the actual content, it was a very interesting a poignant article. I don't really feel too much sympathy for the 'hard life' schpiel considering they get paid millions to play a game, however

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi Ninja View Post
Wow, this is easily one of the most interesting threads on this board. XD

Putting in my two cents: Do Canadians write in Americanized English? A poster in the Yahoo comments section pointed out that all of the words in the articles are Americanized, which suggests that the articles are either being closely edited or are written by an American.

...although I guess it's not that hard to edit an article anyway. Hmm...
Or "the Player" used a program with an American spellcheck.

For example colour is being flagged by the spell check on firefox right now.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 06:15 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

Marco Sturm! (random wild guess)

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
skoods

I assumed the "players to be named later" comment was just added in there by the player because he didn't want to name names.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

New article by the player: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

No additional clues tho

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Not a whole lot of information as to who the identity is, but a good read nonetheless. Gave some insight on the mentality of players that are out of the playoff race early, at the very least.

I think, reading the article, he does seem to have a better understanding of what it takes to succeed as a role player than as a star player, likely meaning that "The Player" is a role player himself. Doesn't really change what was already guessed, but...