HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2012, 10:35 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
If Staal hits free agency what do you guys think he would get?
Depends on what he does next season, honestly. Next season would be huge in determining that value. If he were traded, didn't sign an extension, played the year and had a PPG or close to PPG year then he'll get big bucks. On the other hand if he's traded and puts up another .75 or .8 PPG then he's probably getting something with a 5 in front of it. But if he goes to UFA he'll get more because that's how UFA works. If he spends part of the year injured and puts up another 50 points it'll hurt his value. If he stays with Pittsburgh I don't see them paying him 6M. If he signs the extension before playing next season then I don't see him getting 6M. The Grabovski contract was just Burke being retarded.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:44 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

And I guarantee if he hits the open market, there will be another GM as dumb, if not dumber than Burke giving him a ridiculous contract.

Old
06-13-2012, 10:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
And I guarantee if he hits the open market, there will be another GM as dumb, if not dumber than Burke giving him a ridiculous contract.
Well, right, which is why if Armstrong were considering an actual Staal deal he'd have to make it contingent on talking to Staal/his agent about an extension. And if they say 6M then Armstrong walks away.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Meatwagon
Blues=Overrated

vCash: 500
It should also be mentioned that Staal won't score at the same pace on the Blues. If he's a 65 pt player on Pittsburg, he will probably be a 55 pt player on the Blues. The Blues are strictly focused on D first and his numbers, like everyone else on this team, will suffer. Let's not kid ourselves and think he comes here, gets 1st line minutes, and scores 70+. It just won't happen. I'm not trying to speak in certainties, but all of the Blues players numbers suffered, some more than others, Staal isn't some magician where those rules won't apply.

If you can move Stewart ++, go for it, maybe it's worth taking the risk. At the same time, it would be awesome to see all of the heads around here explode when Stewart pots 35+goals on Malkin or Crosbys wing.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:40 PM
taylord22

If my memory serves me correct, Shero has called Oshie an "awesome player", so if they covet him, i wonder if they'd also covet Steen? I wouldn't give either up willingly — just curious why his name hasn't popped up. He's a better player off the rush and has a much better one timer — both of which seem ideal for playing on the wing of Crosby. The only reason I'm more timid about giving up Oshie vs Steen is that Osh is a better entry player, which we sorely lack.

Ideally, Stewart would be the one going because I agree with PN's diminishing asset analysis, though I have some optimism for him turning it around. Is Staal worth packaging Stewart with Cole and a 1st +(McRae?) and taking Martin off their hands as well? The entirety of the Pitt defense was below avg last year, so I'm not as scared of Martin as some. We wouldn't rely on him for offense — just an effective defensive game. A change of scenery and less pressure worked for Brian Campbell...and Petro on a great night made even Carlo (relatively) fit in...

The problems with that (aside from Shero's view on Stewart's value, and Shero's value on shedding Martin's salary before July 1) is that those two players would account for 10+mil on the cap, and would prevent us from signing Jackman, Garrison, etc...We need that crease clearing bruiser...

Last edited by taylord22: 06-14-2012 at 11:44 AM.
Old
06-13-2012, 11:46 PM
taylord22

Duplicate

Old
06-14-2012, 03:32 AM
Backes to the Future

Marc Staal and Mikael Backlund

To Calgary:
Dags
2nd

To StL:
Backlund
3rd

This trade addresses the Blues need of a 3rd line center while only giving up one of many wingers.

NEXT TRADE

To NYR:
Perron
1st

To StL:
Marc Staal

Marc Staal and Pietrangelo would look great together and of course we have to give to get.

BA DA BING BA DA BOOM all of the Blues needs are taken care of without giving up too much.

Lines could look something like:

McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Backlund-Stewart
Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves

Staal-Pietrangelo
Cole-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak

Old
06-14-2012, 05:01 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Well, right, which is why if Armstrong were considering an actual Staal deal he'd have to make it contingent on talking to Staal/his agent about an extension. And if they say 6M then Armstrong walks away.

Do you think perhaps 5 Million would suffice?

Old
06-14-2012, 05:08 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Jackman is great when he is in his proper role. That is not as a top pairing defenseman.

I love the guy and would like to see him back, but not as a top pairing guy.

I think anyone who would sign him to fill that role will be ultimately disappointed.

You are correct sir! Jackman at this stage is not a top pairing Def. Thank you.

Old
06-14-2012, 06:38 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Do you think perhaps 5 Million would suffice?
Close enough that the actual amount's difference only becomes quibbling. I think it would be something like a 5-6 year deal too. Now, if Staal decided he'd be better off waiting, playing one more year to see what the market would bear, then that's totally up to him and fair, but in doing due diligence Armstrong walks away from the deal when he hears that. I just don't think he'd put the franchise in a position where they'd be acquiring a player like that who they would have to lock up to justify the deal without knowing first whether a deal was possible that conforms to the team's salary structure.

Old
06-14-2012, 07:55 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Backlund is awful...that would be a poor move. D'Agostini's career-year is better than Backlund's career.

I have no desire to see him in STL.

Last edited by Stealth JD: 06-14-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old
06-14-2012, 08:14 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

I think this fear of Staal's pending UFA status is irrational, and contrary to popular belief would NOT deter Armstrong from acquiring the guy if he was truly targeting him. If the Blues trade for Jordan Staal, I'm 100% confident they'll get him signed long-term to a nice deal. In this business you can't be too scared of making the big move. Obviously it's something to be considered when putting together an offer...but if Armstrong has proven anything it's that he's aggressive and will do what he thinks it takes to improve the roster.

Old
06-14-2012, 08:17 AM
pricer502

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backes to the Future View Post
To Calgary:
Dags
2nd

To StL:
Backlund
3rd

This trade addresses the Blues need of a 3rd line center while only giving up one of many wingers.

NEXT TRADE

To NYR:
Perron
1st

To StL:
Marc Staal

Marc Staal and Pietrangelo would look great together and of course we have to give to get.

BA DA BING BA DA BOOM all of the Blues needs are taken care of without giving up too much.

Lines could look something like:

McDonald-Backes-Oshie
Steen-Berglund-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Backlund-Stewart
Langenbrunner-Sobotka-Reaves

Staal-Pietrangelo
Cole-Shattenkirk
Russell-Polak
That would be a massive overpayment for Marc Staal

Old
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Backlund is awful...that would be a poor move. D'Agostini's career-year is better than Backlund's career.

There's the Stealth JD I know and love! I couldn't disagree with you more.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:00 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by pricer502 View Post
That would be a massive overpayment for Marc Staal
Not as much as you think. Staal immediately becomes the Blues best defender. Perron is fighting for a spot on the 2nd line. I also doubt the Rangers want to add another guy coming off a significant injury. (Richards, Gaborik)

Old
06-14-2012, 09:06 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Not as much as you think. Staal immediately becomes the Blues best defender. Perron is fighting for a spot on the 2nd line. I also doubt the Rangers want to add another guy coming off a significant injury. (Richards, Gaborik)
I agree. Perron has NOT established himself. He probably will one day, but Marc Staal is already there.

The Rangers' left side is a little weak. They could use Perron.

To Rangers:
Perron, 2nd rounder and someone like Nigro or Shattock.

To Blues:
Marc Staal

-----------------

This thread needs to be moved.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:09 AM
h22prelude93

Backlund really doesn't add anything to what we already have. He doesn't help with face-offs, he doesn't help with offense, he doesn't add experience, he doesn't add size. He doesn't really add anything right now besides the fact that his name would be funny. If we get that desperate then I'd much rather put Sobotka there who can at least win face-offs and plays with intensity. BTW Backlund also missed the last half of the season with an arm injury.

As far as M. Staal, I would be somewhat interested, but certainly not for that price. Especially considering the guy just recently returned from a brutal concussion that he received last Feb, and didn't return to the line-up this season until the Winter Classic. Same things could be said from New York's point of view concerning Perron, but the fact is we know were Perron is at. He's made great progress and is one of our most lethal offensive players again. I'm really surprised at how many Blues fans wouldn't mind trading him either. Can you imagine Perron leaving St.Louis and putting up 30-40 goal seasons elsewhere? I could, and trust me it would be absolutely devastating.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:14 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Backlund really doesn't add anything to what we already have. He doesn't help with face-offs, he doesn't help with offense, he doesn't add experience, he doesn't add size. He doesn't really add anything right now besides the fact that his name would be funny. If we get that desperate then I'd much rather put Sobotka there who can at least win face-offs and plays with intensity. BTW Backlund also missed the last half of the season with an arm injury.

As far as M. Staal, I would be somewhat interested, but certainly not for that price. Especially considering the guy just recently returned from a brutal concussion that he received last Feb, and didn't return to the line-up this season until the Winter Classic. Same things could be said from New York's point of view concerning Perron, but the fact is we know were Perron is at. He's made great progress and is one of our most lethal offensive players again. I'm really surprised at how many Blues fans wouldn't mind trading him either. Can you imagine Perron leaving St.Louis and putting up 30-40 goal seasons elsewhere? I could, and trust me it would be absolutely devastating.
Can you imagine Marc Staal and Pietro preventing 30-40 goals for the Blues? I could, and trust me it would be absolutely NOT devastating.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:39 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Can you imagine Marc Staal and Pietro preventing 30-40 goals for the Blues? I could, and trust me it would be absolutely NOT devastating.
Lol, fair enough CB, but I still wouldn't be interested in him right now for the price he would cost. I honestly doubt DP and a 1st would even get it done.

Old
06-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
There's the Stealth JD I know and love! I couldn't disagree with you more.
What's so special about Backlund? D'Agostini is a much better player. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mikael Backlund back in Sweden within 5 years. He's the definition of a "meh" hockey-player.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:22 AM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
What's so special about Backlund? D'Agostini is a much better player. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mikael Backlund back in Sweden within 5 years. He's the definition of a "meh" hockey-player.
We rarely agree on anything and you have a loser's mentality with all of that tank talk a couple seasons back. If YOU don't like Backlund, then he must good enough.[Snarky mobile device emoticon]

Old
06-14-2012, 11:26 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
The only fact is that is YOUR opinion.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Backes to the Future

Quote:

By in no means is Backlund awful. The Blues need a 3 line center, Backlund would perfectly fit that need. Dags is expendable and becomes a movable piece now, which is why we move him. In terms of value, it's fair for both sides.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Backes to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post

Keep in mind both Perron and Dags also missed time due to concussions so the injury bug bites both sides.
While it would be difficult to part with Perron, the Blues desperately need a top LHD and this is the price it comes at. I'm comfortable losing Perron in exchange for a proven, top pairing defenseman in Staal.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:46 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Which is why I don't see a Jordan Staal trade happening. It is a big if to say that we would have a long-term extension down because that would mean Staal turns down the opportunity of millions more. Staal already has a ring, so he will be looking to get paid and play a bigger role. If Burke is still Toronto's GM, he will give Staal a ridiculous contract and Staal's agent knows that.

Closed Thread