HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2012, 11:50 AM
  #776
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,117
vCash: 50
Backlund is so overrated, it's not even funny. I would rather Sobotka be our 3rd line center.

Backlund is not good enough to push Berglund, which is the whole point IMO.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 12:04 PM
  #777
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
We rarely agree on anything and you have a loser's mentality with all of that tank talk a couple seasons back. If YOU don't like Backlund, then he must good enough.[Snarky mobile device emoticon]
That didn't answer my question. What's special about Backlund that makes him a 'good' hockey player in your mind?

You can say I've got a loser's mentality all you want...but a couple of years ago the Blues' were in perfect position to grab that one final piece available only at the top of the draft. Forgive me for wanting to see some elite offensive talent. I mean, it's awful to rebuild through the top of the draft...who wants to see the fruits of that labor?

That doesn't mean I've got a loser's mentality...that means I want to see a Cup. Let's look at the recent list of teams that sucked for a while and rebuilt through the top of the draft: Pittsburgh, Chicago, Los Angeles...hell, even Boston drafted top-10 two years in a row prior to their Cup win.

And I'd make a friendly wager with anyone regarding Backlund. He's a dime a dozen player who will probably return home to play for larger money than he can make in the NHL. He'll be out of the league prior to the '17-'18 season, I'll predict. Bookmark it now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
The only fact is that is YOUR opinion.
I never stated anything as a fact. "In fact", as it was used, is synonymous with 'additionally' or 'more to the point'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backes to the Future View Post
By in no means is Backlund awful. The Blues need a 3 line center, Backlund would perfectly fit that need. Dags is expendable and becomes a movable piece now, which is why we move him. In terms of value, it's fair for both sides.
Backlund has scored 46 points in his entire 130+ game career. D'Agostini got 21-25-46 in 82 games two seasons ago. D'Agostini has a better shot, is a better skater, is tougher, and is obviously more skilled offensively than Backlund. Why would the Blues then need to throw in the better draft pick to acquire the inferior player?

So what that Backlund is a center and D'Agostini is a winger...Backlund isn't a very good center. He's certainly not a shut-down guy...nor a physical guy...nor a play-maker...nor a finisher. Heck, he's not even a big body or a speed-demon. He's just a guy.


Last edited by Stealth JD: 06-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Stealth JD is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 12:11 PM
  #778
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Backlund is so overrated, it's not even funny. I would rather Sobotka be our 3rd line center.

Backlund is not good enough to push Berglund, which is the whole point IMO.
Backlund is not overrated because he barely even rates. He would NOT be brought on board to "push" Berglund. Chances are the Blues are NOT going to get a #1C, so filling the 3rd-line center is paramount.

However, I don't have a problem with Sobotka as the 3rd-line center. In fact, that may be exactly the direction that Armstrong will go.

ChicagoBlues is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 12:42 PM
  #779
pricer502
Registered User
 
pricer502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas City
Country: United States
Posts: 463
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Not as much as you think. Staal immediately becomes the Blues best defender. Perron is fighting for a spot on the 2nd line. I also doubt the Rangers want to add another guy coming off a significant injury. (Richards, Gaborik)
Are we talking about the same Marc Staal. The guy who had 5 points in 46 games and was a -7 last year for a really good Rangers team? He is a 25 point per year Dman and he would not be the blues best defender. I have no interest in him at that price. Talk about being overrated because you have a good hockey name.

pricer502 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:13 PM
  #780
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
blah blah blah blah blah blah


what's funny is that you make it a point to comment on how we seldom agree, and remember posts I've made from years ago...yet until yesterday you haven't stood out at all to me. I wouldn't have been able to identify a single memorable, influential, comedic, creative or otherwise noteworthy post that you've made in apparently 6 years of your posting here. Which means, i've apparently subconsciously lumped your entire HF existence in with so many of the other generic posters with whom I've never paid much attention to. You don't like my posts? Awwww... I haven't cared enough about anything you've ever said to notice any of yours.

Stealth JD is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:39 PM
  #781
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 7,956
vCash: 2616
To be honest Stealth...The moment you resort to throwing uncommon vocabulary into an argument, it kind of lessens your case. If you can't get your point across in a simple way, don't resort to masking the argument in a condescending way.

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:49 PM
  #782
BleedBlue42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
Jack Johnson is the one defensema on the market so to speak i'd trade Stewart for
except he is -85 career..in front of jonathan quick lol

BleedBlue42 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
  #783
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 7,956
vCash: 2616
And should he become available, he's on a division rival now.

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:51 PM
  #784
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!
 
Stealth JD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Safari Motor Motel
Country: United States
Posts: 6,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Why don't YOU tell me why I should try to make a point with someone who actually cheered for the Blues to lose?
Better yet...why don't you find a single post of mine where I've cheered against the Blues or gotten upset when they scored/won.

Sure, I've at one point said they're better off finishing last in the league than 10th from the bottom or whatever...but all that represents is a fundamental difference in how to go about building a long-term winner, and the determination on what is better overall for the club.

At 2-10 would you have rooted for the Rams to win 4 in a row to finish at 6-10 with something positive to build on but maybe an average prospect to help their long-term prospects...or to finish what they started, maybe suffer a little more short-term pain...but be in better position to compete in the future with a top talent as consolation for your suffering? Rooting for 2-14 in that scenario is not a "loser mentality"...but if you feel as though it is, I couldn't care less.

The reason why the European economy is teetering on the verge of disaster right now is because they didn't deal with the problem in 2008 when they could have bottomed out...they instead chose to put a band-aid on the problem and fix it as quickly as possible, rather than fix it correctly, once and for all. It's not exactly the same situation, but it's a parallel.

Stealth JD is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  #785
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,224
vCash: 50
Marc Staal is not nearly as good as Petro. Not even close. I'd honestly rather have Shatty when he's on his game over Staal. No chance I'd trade Perron+ for him. I would have trouble accepting Perron for Marc Staal straight up. Marc Staal right now is more valuable than Perron, but in 3 years Perron will be the better player by a long shot. He was a minus player on the best team in the East. No thanks.

MattyMo35 is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:28 PM
  #786
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
Better yet...why don't you find a single post of mine where I've cheered against the Blues or gotten upset when they scored/won.

Sure, I've at one point said they're better off finishing last in the league than 10th from the bottom or whatever...but all that represents is a fundamental difference in how to go about building a long-term winner, and the determination on what is better overall for the club.

At 2-10 would you have rooted for the Rams to win 4 in a row to finish at 6-10 with something positive to build on but maybe an average prospect to help their long-term prospects...or to finish what they started, maybe suffer a little more short-term pain...but be in better position to compete in the future with a top talent as consolation for your suffering? Rooting for 2-14 in that scenario is not a "loser mentality"...but if you feel as though it is, I couldn't care less.

The reason why the European economy is teetering on the verge of disaster right now is because they didn't deal with the problem in 2008 when they could have bottomed out...they instead chose to put a band-aid on the problem and fix it as quickly as possible, rather than fix it correctly, once and for all. It's not exactly the same situation, but it's a parallel.
The reason the European economy is tanking is the same reason the economy tanked/is tanking here in The States. Concentration of the wealth, rampant speculation and straight up stealing. Angela Merkel is the new Hitler. Don't even get me started on politics. I will argue you into a corner and you will never get out of it.

Not seeing the parallel. Losing is NEVER the way to go.

ChicagoBlues is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:31 PM
  #787
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
I've got a bizarre one for you. We've both got problem children right now in Radulov and Stewart. Could you see some sort of deal being worked out with them as the centerpieces?

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:32 PM
  #788
SirPaste
Registered User
 
SirPaste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 6,811
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I've got a bizarre one for you. We've both got problem children right now in Radulov and Stewart. Could you see some sort of deal being worked out with them as the centerpieces?
Not at all, Hitchock would eat Radulov alive, figuratively and literally

SirPaste is online now  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:33 PM
  #789
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Not at all, Hitchock would eat Radulov alive, figuratively and literally
That's kind of what I figured, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Top 6 Spaling is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:35 PM
  #790
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 7,956
vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Not at all, Hitchock would eat Radulov alive, figuratively and literally
I lol'd.

CarvinSigX is offline  
Old
06-14-2012, 02:49 PM
  #791
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
That's kind of what I figured, just thought I'd throw it out there.
Did anyone else notice that Hitchcock seemed to gain a bunch of weight by the time the playoffs rolled around?

He looked fatter than he did at the beginning if his tenure. I think maybe he actually DID eat Radulov and crapped out the current version and sent him on his way to Opryland.

What a great move JD and Armstrong? They got Coach to eat Radulov! Slick!

ChicagoBlues is offline  
Old
06-16-2012, 09:21 AM
  #792
tfriede2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
Trade Wars II: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Richa...etch/131/44978

Yikes....the responses to this one should be interesting:

"2. The Carolina Hurricanes send F Eric Staal and a first-round pick in 2012 (8th overall) to the St. Louis Blues in exchange for F David Backes, F T.J. Oshie, D Ian Cole, and a first-round pick in 2013.

Accepted, but geez, I thought about this one all day before saying yes. So why did I take it? Because Eric Staal is clearly the best player in the deal. I'm not a huge Oshie fan, but I love David Backes. That's what hurts here. Giving up Ian Cole is sorta "whatever". The defenseman the Blues will pick up with the Hurricanes 8th overall pick will be a better player than Cole. At #8, one of Trouba, Rielly or Reinhart will still be available, and all would be an upgrade from Cole.

Someone said to me, "this deal would be a step back for the Blues." Not sure. Staal is an upgrade. I think Eric Staal is one of the top players in the game, and you can't ignore the impact of adding a player of that quality will have. Keep in mind one of the strengths of the Blues is their depth. I'm not saying Backes and Oshie are replaceable guys or anything. I'm just saying Eric Staal is Eric Staal. If you get a chance to acquire him, you do so.

One last thing to keep in mind: There would be a market for the 8th overall pick if the Blues wanted to trade it. Maybe they turn around and deal the pick to Pittsburgh, to bring the Staal brothers together? Makes sense to me. Adding Eric and Jordan in one year, even with the loss of Backes and Oshie, would not be a step back in any way."




The only way I even think about this one is if our 2013 first rounder isn't included. But even then, that's a LOT to give up. Take Backes out and insert someone else, and perhaps a deal can be made (from our side)...but the problem is that Carolina wouldn't accept it. So my counterproposal would be Backes, Oshie, Cole for Staal and 2012 1st. Well, that's still tempting the more I think about it....but we just can't deal Backes. So...how about Berglund, Oshie, Cole, 2013 2nd for Staal and 2012 1st. We get our top line center, pushing backes to 2nd line center. We can use the 8th pick and our 25th to either move up to 5 or 6 and grab Galchenyuk (or Grigorenko), or stay pat at and grab one of the defenseman mentioned above. Or...use the 8th to trade for one of the other Staal's (Marc or Jordan)...lots of possibilities. Of course, none of this will happen, just fun to speculate.


Last edited by tfriede2: 06-16-2012 at 09:27 AM.
tfriede2 is offline  
Old
06-16-2012, 09:40 AM
  #793
Halak Ness Monster
Registered User
 
Halak Ness Monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
The only way I even think about this one is if our 2013 first rounder isn't included. But even then, that's a LOT to give up. Take Backes out and insert someone else, and perhaps a deal can be made (from our side)...but the problem is that Carolina wouldn't accept it. So my counterproposal would be Backes, Oshie, Cole for Staal and 2012 1st. Well, that's still tempting the more I think about it....but we just can't deal Backes. So...how about Berglund, Oshie, Cole, 2013 2nd for Staal and 2012 1st. We get our top line center, pushing backes to 2nd line center. We can use the 8th pick and our 25th to either move up to 5 or 6 and grab Galchenyuk (or Grigorenko), or stay pat at and grab one of the defenseman mentioned above. Or...use the 8th to trade for one of the other Staal's (Marc or Jordan)...lots of possibilities. Of course, none of this will happen, just fun to speculate.
It's not an awful proposal for such a big deal but yeah we just can't make it. It would really change the dynamic of the team moving two Selke quality forwards that play 20 minutes a night for a 75-80 point center who is just average defensively.

I'd rather just move Oshie for Jordan Staal.

BTW, we could never add Eric and Jordan Staal. That's about 13 million in salary.

Halak Ness Monster is offline  
Old
06-16-2012, 09:47 AM
  #794
tfriede2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 808
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
It's not an awful proposal for such a big deal but yeah we just can't make it. It would really change the dynamic of the team moving two Selke quality forwards that play 20 minutes a night for a 75-80 point center who is just average defensively.

I'd rather just move Oshie for Jordan Staal.

BTW, we could never add Eric and Jordan Staal. That's about 13 million in salary.
Agreed - I thought of that before I even posted that suggestion, but then just ignored it, haha. And my second suggestion (swapping Berglund) isn't enough for Carolina...it's slanted in our favor, I realize that.

tfriede2 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 07:21 AM
  #795
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,370
vCash: 50
How about a... Jay Bouwmeester trade to the Blues? Rumors are Toronto & Columbus are interested. could find himself traded by the draft. The 29 year old is owed $6.68 million this year and next, I know he's been a bust in Calgary and the contract is huge... However i'm intriuged, he's in his prime, and decent size 6' 4 perhaps a deal to a Cup Contender would turn Bow around?

JustOneB4IDie is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 03:49 PM
  #796
letmesleep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
How about a... Jay Bouwmeester trade to the Blues? Rumors are Toronto & Columbus are interested. could find himself traded by the draft. The 29 year old is owed $6.68 million this year and next, I know he's been a bust in Calgary and the contract is huge... However i'm intriuged, he's in his prime, and decent size 6' 4 perhaps a deal to a Cup Contender would turn Bow around?
We can't afford to take that salary when there are so many question marks attached, I think. I might consider it just if Calgary wanted to get rid of his contract for a late pick but otherwise I think I say no thanks.

letmesleep is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 08:49 PM
  #797
kimzey59
Registered User
 
kimzey59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
How about a... Jay Bouwmeester trade to the Blues? Rumors are Toronto & Columbus are interested. could find himself traded by the draft. The 29 year old is owed $6.68 million this year and next, I know he's been a bust in Calgary and the contract is huge... However i'm intriuged, he's in his prime, and decent size 6' 4 perhaps a deal to a Cup Contender would turn Bow around?
According to reports, Calgary wants a high 1st round pick for him.
We don't have one of those to give up.

kimzey59 is offline  
Old
06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
  #798
Prussian_Blue
Registered User
 
Prussian_Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Germany
Posts: 7,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste
Not at all, Hitchock would eat Radulov alive, figuratively and literally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX
I lol'd.
Yeah, me too...

Prussian_Blue is offline  
Old
06-20-2012, 07:11 AM
  #799
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!
 
bleedblue1223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20,117
vCash: 50
So Hitchcock and Backes had lunch and apparently identified the players that bowed out when times got tough. I have a couple in mind, some that I think should be kept, who I believe will chance, and a couple that I could see getting moved.

Lets not bring Stewart up because he bowed out all season, and at least started to play with heart in the playoffs.

I really feel like Army has something up his sleeve, but I'm very happy that they are already focused on next season and know what they need to change.

bleedblue1223 is offline  
Old
06-20-2012, 08:36 AM
  #800
STEVIE RAY BLUES
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
So Mckenzie says Bobby Ryan is back on the block. This is the one

player I would give alot for. Tell me if this seems doable from a

Ducks perspective.:

Bergland
Stewart
Schwartz
1st 2012

For:

Ryan
Rights to Schultz

STEVIE RAY BLUES is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.