HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals - Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 08:53 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if it is our business model to backload every contract; we'll find out with Oshie and Perron. Not a bad way of working things, but it can create headaches.
So far it seems like the Blues for the most part as a pay as you go team. By that I mean most contracts are pretty even over the length of the contract. I thought Jackman's contract would surely be front loaded with the raise Pietrangelo will be commanding, but I was wrong.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:57 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
Bobby Ryan is a great player, but we'd have to give up significant assets for him.

Think about this scenario: Stewart regains his form, and scores around 25-30 goals; Tarasenko has a solid rookie season and pots 20 goals; Berglund bounces back and gets around 20; Perron, McDonald, and Steen are all healthy and each get in the 20s.

Now do we really need to Ryan if at least most of those happen. Most of those are likely, with the Stewart one being iffy. If Stewart regains his form, we do not need to add offense.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:35 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think it's a major overpayment for a player that does not fill the Blues' need for a 2-3 center.
Agreed. Blues do not need need another winger.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:41 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

With the lack of a trade at the entry draft this past weekend, I assume the focus has switched to possibly aquiring a UFA defenseman's (someone like Garrison's) rights now with the start of the free agency period Friday. I'm certain the 'note kicked the tires on possible trades but decided against it, not suprising.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
So far it seems like the Blues for the most part as a pay as you go team. By that I mean most contracts are pretty even over the length of the contract. I thought Jackman's contract would surely be front loaded with the raise Pietrangelo will be commanding, but I was wrong.
Typically it isn't a huge amount that is moved, like the Jax contract being $3m next season and $3.25m after, or Elliot $1.7m/$1.9m.

Then again, Backes and Polak earn a combined $6.2m next season and then $7.85m in 2013/14. Jaro and Steen both signed 4 year deals a couple of years ago and earned $5.5m combined in the first year, and will be in the region of $8m in the next 2 years.

It was understandable because of the ownership situation, and being a budget team, if you trade a player on a backloaded contract you save a few $. It also means we are likely to see the same again next year despite the ownership being resolved, because we have to try and compensate for the big rise that there is going to be in salary.

With FA, a player might want a lump sum signing bonus, hopefully we'd be in a position to offer that if needed.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Alklha

Also, there is still loads of talk on the Leafs board about trade talks between the 2 teams. Seems like their media guys son't think the issue ended on Friday night and there is a decent chance something could still happen.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:15 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Also, there is still loads of talk on the Leafs board about trade talks between the 2 teams. Seems like their media guys son't think the issue ended on Friday night and there is a decent chance something could still happen.
I went through that thread and literally the only source saying anything between us and them was Strickland. Someone posted it somewhere in pages 5-9 quoting Strickland, and then it was a bunch of them saying how they'd like this Blue or that Blue and how we could have various spare parts for them. As for Toronto media sources there is one cryptic message from one guy saying the Leafs could have another deal soon with some team. No Leafs source says the Blues and Leafs kept talking. That's purely Strickland. Strickland is the entirety of this rumor.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:23 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I'm guessing we had interest in Schenn and we laughed at Burke's asking price.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Well I'm sure Strickland heard it from someone.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Some Calgary fans really are delusional after discussing Jaybo and Iginla before.

Armstrong won't give anything more than Ottawa's 2nd and D'Agostini for Bouwmeester. Both pieces which are essentially spare parts for us.

Old
06-25-2012, 03:06 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Some Calgary fans really are delusional after discussing Jaybo and Iginla before.

Armstrong won't give anything more than Ottawa's 2nd and D'Agostini for Bouwmeester. Both pieces which are essentially spare parts for us.
Air in the Rocky Mountains up there in Cal & Gary does that I presume

Old
06-25-2012, 03:47 PM
BlueDream

Calgary fans are delusional. They still seem to think they are legit contenders and don't need to rebuild which is hilarious.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:32 PM
Alklha

I won't be critical of the Flames fanbase. The blind chest-beating nonsense of the management is the problem, with guarantees of making the playoffs and proclaiming the guy their picked up towards the end of the first round will be the best player in the draft. When you are run by idiots like that, knowing they are going to continue to finish in 9th-11th rather than rebuild... you just have to be hopeful.

Old
06-25-2012, 04:45 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

They are in a serious need of a rebuild. It's painfully obvious that the Flames are not serious contenders. Their only real promising prospect is Sven, and they don't have a ton of talent at the NHL level. They may go on a hot streak sometime during the season and sneak in the playoffs, but that's their ceiling. Iginla, JBo and Mikka could all return a decent amount of picks or prospects. They didn't really do themselves any favors going for the home run pick in the first round either. Oh well, it's one less team the Blues will have to battle for a playoff spot IMO.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:40 PM
Bluesnatic27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
They are in a serious need of a rebuild. It's painfully obvious that the Flames are not serious contenders. Their only real promising prospect is Sven, and they don't have a ton of talent at the NHL level. They may go on a hot streak sometime during the season and sneak in the playoffs, but that's their ceiling. Iginla, JBo and Mikka could all return a decent amount of picks or prospects. They didn't really do themselves any favors going for the home run pick in the first round either. Oh well, it's one less team the Blues will have to battle for a playoff spot IMO.
I do agree that Calgary needs to get new management and start a rebuild, but there's something about Jankowski that seems odd in a way and I can see why Calgary would draft him, from what I've seen, he seems like a lesser version of Schwartz, small body with nice puck handling skills...I don't know, it's probably just me, but I think he will develop into a very skilled player...but that's what I've seen and I still think Calgary should have waited until the second round to draft him

Old
06-25-2012, 07:16 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesnatic27 View Post
I do agree that Calgary needs to get new management and start a rebuild, but there's something about Jankowski that seems odd in a way and I can see why Calgary would draft him, from what I've seen, he seems like a lesser version of Schwartz, small body with nice puck handling skills...I don't know, it's probably just me, but I think he will develop into a very skilled player...but that's what I've seen and I still think Calgary should have waited until the second round to draft him
Jankowski may turn out to be a good NHLer, but not within the next couple of years. I'm just surprised they didn't go with more of a sure thing that might be NHL ready a little sooner.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Coleman View Post
Well I'm sure Strickland heard it from someone.
It's just as likely that Strickland spun the "rumor" entirely out of whole cloth just to try and appear relevant during the draft.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:32 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I'd be shocked if Armstrong made any statements about a player under contract that could be construed as tampering. Therefore, I think whatever Strickland thinks they talked about, it wasn't Armstrong suggesting that they might trade for Bouwmeester.

Old
06-25-2012, 07:34 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'd be shocked if Armstrong made any statements about a player under contract that could be construed as tampering. Therefore, I think whatever Strickland thinks they talked about, it wasn't Armstrong suggesting that they might trade for Bouwmeester.
I don't think it is considered tampering if you say to a writer or whoever that you have interest in trading for a certain player or that we have to room to trade for a certain player.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Corn Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I don't think it is considered tampering if you say to a writer or whoever that you have interest in trading for a certain player or that we have to room to trade for a certain player.
Tampering in the NHL definition essentially means having a team official making a public statement of pursuit of another player. It's NHL By-Law 15. The fines aren't as severe for some (Leafs tampering with the Sedins) as they are for others (Blues tampering with Stevens), but the standard is the same.

Assuming Strickland isn't just throwing some stuff against the wall (big assumption), his source is likely not Armstrong or anyone associated with the Blues.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:01 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Considering Strickland made a tweet about the possibility of Colaiacovo coming back, I'm pretty sure Bouwmeester originated from him, but Armstrong saying we can add a bigger contract is probably true.

Old
06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Corn Baller

Yeah, I think the Armstrong statement was actually attributed in the article (didn't Rutherford also use the quote?), so I'm sure that's accurate.

What was unclear in that quote was how they'd need to be "creative". It's not like the team has bad contracts to ditch, so I assume the creativity comes in with respect to term and terms. Stl Fan in IA is almost certainly correct that the Blues will get outbid in terms of years on some of these contracts (see Armstrong's quote about Oshie and not wanting to go 5, 6... years).

Old
06-27-2012, 12:15 PM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
An absolute curve ball here (but possibly discussed earlier in the thread)

Nash...

but then I think about what Howson apparently thinks he can get for him...so realistically no.

I'd love to see him on this team though. I think the controversy of joining a division rival would be fun, and he has a nice gritty work ethic on the ice with a major offensive upside that I truly believe would fit the Blues' system well. I think he would absolutely thrive on a winning Blues club.

Old
06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Based on what he has wanted from other clubs, Howson would probably demand Perron/Oshie, Tarasenko/Schwartz, Jake Allen, probably Ian Cole and a pick or two. I don't want any player in the NHL enough to do that. Maybe OEL

Old
06-27-2012, 12:46 PM
zachws6

vCash: 1480
Howson has the right to demand whatever he wants for Nash, it doesn't mean a deal will happen though (I'm saying this as a general NHL statement). ...but because it has been put out there that Nash wants traded, it is probably best for both parties to go their separate ways.

...awk-ward!

Closed Thread