HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Anderson - Hand Injury - Update: Mar. 22nd Cleared to Play

View Poll Results: How would you deal with Anderson's injury?
Trade a roster player to get a bonifide #1 1 1.04%
Trade a 1st or 2nd rounder to get a decent goalie (but not great) 9 9.38%
Let Auld/Lehner take a run, hope Anderson to return quickly and pray to the gods 86 89.58%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

vCash: 500
I can understand to a degree, the uncertainty of his return. It's a unique injury not typical for a goalie, so not a lot of experience from Doctors in terms of when he should be able to play.

What I do find strange, like many here, is that the circumstances haven't really been explained in detail given he is right handed, but somehow cut his right pinky finger. Possible, but high improbable.

And now, to add fuel to the fire, Anderson won't comment on how he got the injury. And why the hell not? just show the damn reporter what happened, the same way you'd show someone at the office. Get it over with so we can all move on. But no, it's a secret.

Just strange. Hope he's just acting weird, rather than having gotten hacked by his wife or something in a domestic dispute.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:51 PM
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post
I can understand to a degree, the uncertainty of his return. It's a unique injury not typical for a goalie, so not a lot of experience from Doctors in terms of when he should be able to play.

What I do find strange, like many here, is that the circumstances haven't really been explained in detail given he is right handed, but somehow cut his right pinky finger. Possible, but high improbable.

And now, to add fuel to the fire, Anderson won't comment on how he got the injury. And why the hell not? just show the damn reporter what happened, the same way you'd show someone at the office. Get it over with so we can all move on. But no, it's a secret.

Just strange. Hope he's just acting weird, rather than having gotten hacked by his wife or something in a domestic dispute.
Tiger Woods incident?

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:54 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Well, we had Emery come in to "save the season" and that was in 2006.

It's a lot of pressure for a young goalie.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Well, we had Emery come in to "save the season" and that was in 2006.

It's a lot of pressure for a young goalie.
Expected to finish last vs expected to win the cup... HUGE difference.

Billy Madison* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Lehnsanity threatened to hunt anderson down. Now he's out with an unexplained knife injury and lehner takes over. Tiger woods? How about Tonya harding.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:08 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Lehner for Conn Smythe?

I think he can win it this year.

swiftwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:23 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sens(e) View Post

He won't talk because the team won't let him comment on it. Teams, whether fans like it or not, are notorious for muzzling players when they have injuries because they feel that any release of information puts them at a competitive disadvantage. For example, if Anderson comes out and says: "It's a pretty deep cut and I'll be out for 8 weeks", what's to stop a team like Boston from sending in a thug like Lucic to take a run at Lehner, knowing that Ottawa would now be down to Alex Auld (YUCK!) and an untested Ben Bishop for the playoffs?

And why do we care HOW he got hurt? As long as he performs on the ice, we shouldn't pry into his home life. As for the person who's suspicious about the "personal time" he needed at the beginning of the year, I can tell you that it was health-related to someone in his family. I know this for fact. It was nothing to do with his wife. Stop with the conspiracy theories already.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:30 PM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
For example, if Anderson comes out and says: "It's a pretty deep cut and I'll be out for 8 weeks", what's to stop a team like Boston from sending in a thug like Lucic to take a run at Lehner, knowing that Ottawa would now be down to Alex Auld (YUCK!) and an untested Ben Bishop for the playoffs?
Terrible example. You mean to tell me a team like Boston doesn't run other team's goalie because there is a solid backup? Why not run at the backup too?

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:38 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Lehner for Conn Smythe?

This is how you get to prove your outlandish predictions later on.

I'm on to you sport.

You just scatter them around and then wait.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:45 PM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Terrible example. You mean to tell me a team like Boston doesn't run other team's goalie because there is a solid backup? Why not run at the backup too?
How is it a terrible example? We play Boston one more time at the end of the season. Lucic runs Lehner, gets suspended for a couple of games, Auld and Bishop play the rest of Boston.

Sure, they can keep running goalies after that too. But they accomplished what they wanted to by taking out Lehner.

Another reason Anderson could be quiet is what's to stop a team from hacking his blocker hand when he returns.

He gains nothing from telling us the extent of his injury.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 02:58 PM
guyzeur

The real story:

It's wasn't frozen chicken; Andy needed a live chicken to perform his voodoo rituals.

This is the only way he could sustain incredible stamina so he could play all of the Sens games this year.

Andy didn't know but he wasn't given a chicken... instead he had a highly trained rooster for cockfights.

Andy only survived the fight with the help of his wife; He did sustain a severe injury to his pinky when the rooster used his beak to cut it off.

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:02 PM
guyzeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Lehner for Conn Smythe?

ken Dryden's Story circa 2012

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:16 PM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
How is it a terrible example? We play Boston one more time at the end of the season. Lucic runs Lehner, gets suspended for a couple of games, Auld and Bishop play the rest of Boston.

Sure, they can keep running goalies after that too. But they accomplished what they wanted to by taking out Lehner.
So why haven't Lucic run at Lundqvist yet? You're giving Lehner too much credit too soon. It's a nice story, but it's not reality.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:18 PM
Marble

He probably doesn't want to talk about it because it's embarassing...

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
He probably doesn't want to talk about it because it's embarassing...
Really? There is NOTHING to talk about. It happened over a week ago and the facts have already been discussed in pretty good detail. He wanted a late night meal after the game, used a pretty big knife obviously and sliced his hand/finger cutting chicken. Not really sure why anyone is expecting to hear some big revelation from him. Let him focus on healing and getting back and that's that.

GoSensGo765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:27 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Also, from doing some basic reading and from personnel experience from a few pretty deep cuts, the worst is already over. It should be another week or so before he can actually pick things up and grip a stick, from there it really just comes down to what the training staff puts over his finger to help him with the pain, and just how much pain he can actually withstand and play through.

This is not like a groin injury, a leg injury or something that would affect his movement in the crease. He obviously needs to be able to play the puck and use his trapper, but most goalies are able to suck that up and play through it.

Howard just had a broken finger and he was only out for 2 weeks. He said there's still some discomfort but it's not that bad. You'd have to think a broken finger is worse than a cut.

Old
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
Anderson is out, Lehner is playing and winning. Not sure that's too complicated.
That's the goalie situation TODAY, which might change on a day-to-day basis for the next 8 weeks, for all we know.

I'm just saying: there is a lot of games to be played before we start deciding who is going to do what NEXT year. Let's figure out next year after this year is done. We'll have plenty of time to evaluate the play of our goalies down the stretch and into the playoffs and what it means for the 2012-13 Senators by the time the offseason rolls around.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:36 PM
playasRus

We have a solid goaltender. Lets not give him up after a few weeks of injury just because our rookie goalie is playing well. Remember how it was to have uncertainty between the pipes all those years?

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:39 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
This is how you get to prove your outlandish predictions later on.

I'm on to you sport.

You just scatter them around and then wait.
LOL! I was thinking the same thing...

Seriously though, I usually don't say somthing like this unless I actually believe it. This is the exception though.. I figured I might as well drop a crazy one and see what happens.

swiftwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

We could have TWO goalies playing great hockey at the top of their games going into the playoffs. Wouldn't that just be crazy!?!?! Ala the Bruins with Thomas/Rask.

Why not right?

Old
03-01-2012, 03:51 PM
headup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
We could have TWO goalies playing great hockey at the top of their games going into the playoffs. Wouldn't that just be crazy!?!?! Ala the Bruins with Thomas/Rask.

Why not right?
Not to mention that Anderson will get some rest. .

headup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by headup View Post
Not to mention that Anderson will get some rest. .
There is such thing as too much rest. Getting 6-8 weeks of rest is a bad thing. That's not rest, that's rust.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Billy Madison*

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
We have a solid goaltender. Lets not give him up after a few weeks of injury just because our rookie goalie is playing well. Remember how it was to have uncertainty between the pipes all those years?
No one is giving up on anyone. All I have ever said is Anderson, if he is out a long length of time there is a real possibility of Lehner coming in and stealing his job.

Old
03-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Madison View Post
There is such thing as too much rest. Getting 6-8 weeks of rest is a bad thing. That's not rest, that's rust.
In anderson's case it shouldn't affect him.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2012, 05:01 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyzeur View Post
ken Dryden's Story circa 2012

Hey, I said that 15 pages earlier.

To bad about Davey Jones, all those yrs of monkeying around caught the Last Train to Clarksville. Oh well, cheer up sleepy Jean. RIP.

Last edited by danishh: 03-01-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: qdp
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote