HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help with which shoulder pad to choose?

Old
04-09-2012, 01:39 PM
ausername1

vCash: 500
Help with which shoulder pad to choose?

I found a couple shoulder pads online: bauer one 40 for $45 or the easton eq 30 for $65... do you think the eq30's really offer $20 more protection than the one 40's do? I'm not neccesarily a physical player but I play college level and it can get pretty chippy, I'm also pretty small compared to most of the other players so when I do get hit, I guess it might take a higher toll.
The pads I have now are ccm fit 03 and the they are nice and slim but I might as well just tape cardboard around myself as far as chest protection goes. The only lhs nearby carries easton, probably doesn't even have the eq30's, and it'll be hard for me to get over there any time soon so there's not really a way for me to compare which one feels/fits better. These are the two that i found around my price range ($40-$60-i'm willing to chip in the extra $5 if the eq30 is that much better) if you have any input for these or any suggestions for others I'd appreciate it!

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 01:59 PM
AIREAYE

Obviously at that level, you should opt for the better pad. IMO it is worth the extra $$ as long as it fits well. That's actually a pretty good price for the EQ30s, good mid-end pad.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
markisonfire

If you like your CCMs, you may want to try jumping up a couple levels and buying the CCM Fit 07 Shoulder Pads. It provides a LOT more protection than the One40s, which are pretty comparable to the Fit03s. Just a suggestion. You could also go for an older model of the Easton and save a few bucks - the ST6 Shoulder Pad is comparable to the EQ30.

Good luck!

markisonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Those EQ30's are good shoulders. If they fit, go for them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 07:13 PM
ausername1

Thanks for the help! I'll probably look into the st6 vs. eq30 to save some money.

ausername1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2012, 10:51 PM
nwharris74

I recently bought some st6 pads on ebay for 40 bucks with free shipping. I play defense and wanted an upgrade. I'm super happy with them. I really like the rib wrap. My only complaint is there is no lower abdominal padding. But for 40 bucks, I'll live without it.

nwharris74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 03:55 AM
izzy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwharris74 View Post
I recently bought some st6 pads on ebay for 40 bucks with free shipping. I play defense and wanted an upgrade. I'm super happy with them. I really like the rib wrap. My only complaint is there is no lower abdominal padding. But for 40 bucks, I'll live without it.
^^ I was browsing through a lot of shoulder pads cause I am the kind of pest hanging around the goal crease, so get a lot of cross checks in the back. For the money the ST6 provide the best protection for the ribs. I also like that the pads are pretty low profile, so you don't look like robocop.

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Are you playing competitive? I thought schools would either reimburse or at least subsidize?

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Uncle Slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwharris74 View Post
I really like the rib wrap. My only complaint is there is no lower abdominal padding.
fwiw....
Visit a lacrosse store.
Look at back & kidney wraps. The STX style come apart easy and can be integrated with your hockey equipment.

I've bought some used lacrosse pads (shoulder, elbow, back & kidney) and have bastardized it to fit my kids - lots of added protection with comfort and flexibility.

Uncle Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 09:50 AM
SydNap

I used to play in college, play men's league only now, and the best pair I've ever worn: downlow hockey pads

Depending on how much protection you really need (and if you're prone to monster hits) you may opt for something with more protection. These are easily the most mobile (and have decent padding in the right places) though...

SydNap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2012, 11:05 AM
rinkrat22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydNap View Post
I used to play in college, play men's league only now, and the best pair I've ever worn: downlow hockey pads

Depending on how much protection you really need (and if you're prone to monster hits) you may opt for something with more protection. These are easily the most mobile (and have decent padding in the right places) though...
I agree, just bought a set aboot a month ago, and I am really liking them. I haven't worn shoulder pads since HS/midget hockey (over 20 years ago). Getting old and slower to heal I've found myself looking to add more protection. I tried a lot of shoulder pads and just couldn't get comfortable in any. finally after thourough research I bit the bullet and spent the $150 US. long story short they are worth the money. just my $.02 though.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Guy on my team switched to those this year because he kept getting bruised up. Seems to like them more than anything else he's tried. I like regular shoulders but if you just can't hack them, they have a great rep.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 02:02 AM
r3cc0s

I was just at pro hockey life picking up a blade, when I ran into the new U+ CL stuff...
holy crap, the whole kit is insane with the new Ufoam..

I thought the TotalOne and S19 SP's were light... this thing is as light as the 5030's if not possibly lighter (from what I could tell by holding them)

I still won't buy them, as I won't need that level of protection, but even the rest of their kit with the Ufoam is incredibly light..
may look at their shin pads to replace my heavy weight One95's

http://ccmhockey.com/en/gear/protective/

4.4 lbs on just sp's, ep's and shins

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:04 PM
qmechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
I was just at pro hockey life picking up a blade, when I ran into the new U+ CL stuff...
Does anyone recommend the new CCM U+ Crazy Light (CL) shoulder pads, or any of the U+ low-profile pads (Pro, Fit07, Fit09)? I have Farrell shoulder pads and I love the lightweight, mobile feel, but they are way too short in the front and half my abdomen is exposed. I'm not playing checking, but I don't feel safe in the Farrells.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:11 PM
Stickmata

Quote:

I thought the TotalOne and S19 SP's were light... this thing is as light as the 5030's if not possibly lighter (from what I could tell by holding them)

I still won't buy them, as I won't need that level of protection, but even the rest of their kit with the Ufoam is incredibly light..
may look at their shin pads to replace my heavy weight One95's

http://ccmhockey.com/en/gear/protective/

4.4 lbs on just sp's, ep's and shins
Just to be clear, they are not saying that the equipment is 4.4 lbs lighter. They are saying the player will be 4.4 lbs lighter at the end of the game due to both the lighter pads and supposedly significantly less water retention.

The only problem I see with this is the same problem the pros complained about when they made the switch to the new sock material, i.e., that, yes, it absorbed less water but that water had to go somewhere and it simply ran down into the skate.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmechanic View Post
Does anyone recommend the new CCM U+ Crazy Light (CL) shoulder pads, or any of the U+ low-profile pads (Pro, Fit07, Fit09)? I have Farrell shoulder pads and I love the lightweight, mobile feel, but they are way too short in the front and half my abdomen is exposed. I'm not playing checking, but I don't feel safe in the Farrells.
Are you tall/thin? I love my CCM U Pro SPs but they don't cover my abdomen or lower back either.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:25 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
The CLs don't have belly protection, so they should sit down on you at around the same level as the Farrells. The U+ Pros run lower due to more padding in general and I personally highly recommend them. Probably the best top-end SP on the market atm, even with the new CL.

But as Stickmata mentioned, you should try them on to be sure.

Old
04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
qmechanic

I've tried different shoulder pads in the past, and the Farrells are definitely much shorter proportionally compared to "traditional" shoulder pads.

I'm a 5' 2" woman, so I can only wear junior pads. Sounds like the U+ Fit09, Fit07 might be worth trying? (U+ Pros don't come in junior size.) There's also the new U+ 12 (also low profile caps) which according to Ice Warehouse is comparable to the Fit07.

I called the local hockey stores in my area and they don't stock CCM shoulder pads. Most of their stuff is Bauer.

qmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 03:36 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
I've tried different shoulder pads in the past, and the Farrells are definitely much shorter proportionally compared to "traditional" shoulder pads.

I'm a 5' 2" woman, so I can only wear junior pads. Sounds like the U+ Fit09, Fit07 might be worth trying? (U+ Pros don't come in junior size.) There's also the new U+ 12 (also low profile caps) which according to Ice Warehouse is comparable to the Fit07.

I called the local hockey stores in my area and they don't stock CCM shoulder pads. Most of their stuff is Bauer.
I thought the demo video showed that the weight of the equipment was 14.4 vs typically 18.4 for even the top line from their own U+ pro

As to the farrells... I actually don't know anyone who liked it after they bought them... everyone told me they kept heat in like a sweater and aren't actually that light

There are alot of pro's wearing minimalist 5030's with a Bauer padded compression shirt and there are also guys still rocking the bauer pro-defenders which is a nice combo of protection of what you need in a traditional style

Old
04-18-2012, 04:03 PM
AIREAYE

There are also a significant number of pro players using the U+Pro pads. They came out of nowhere this season and now it's crazy how popular they are.

Old
04-18-2012, 04:09 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
There are also a significant number of pro players using the U+Pro pads. They came out of nowhere this season and now it's crazy how popular they are.
I'd say CCM has the best shoulder caps... they don't sit high and still provide great protection

Old
04-18-2012, 04:21 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
I'd say CCM has the best shoulder caps... they don't sit high and still provide great protection
Agreed 150%. Best caps on the market by far. The CL caps are much better than the U+Pros and the U+Pro caps are absolutely amazing as well. Now if the rest of the U+CL pad wasn't as crappy

I'm seriously considering taking out the caps on my U+Pros and switching them out for the CL caps.

Old
04-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Stickmata

What do you guys mean about taking the caps out of the U+ Pros. I have the U+ Pros and bought them because they're two piece rather than 3 piece, so the shoulder cap and the arm part are one piece and they sit down rather than pop up and make me look like a football player. What caps would you remove?

I cut off the trapezoid/collarbone pads to make them even more low profile, as the shoulder part protects well enough.

Old
04-18-2012, 09:42 PM
AIREAYE

It's surgery, cutting the straps connecting the cap/arm (one piece) from the main body and/or separating the stretch liner that connects the cap to the bicep guard and doing the same with the CLs. Restitching the CL cap with the straps on the U+Pros will do it. It sounds harder than it is lol, that's gonna be one of my spring projects if a contact can get me some CL caps.

Old
04-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
It's surgery, cutting the straps connecting the cap/arm (one piece) from the main body and/or separating the stretch liner that connects the cap to the bicep guard and doing the same with the CLs. Restitching the CL cap with the straps on the U+Pros will do it. It sounds harder than it is lol, that's gonna be one of my spring projects if a contact can get me some CL caps.
Jeez you guys really do all of this stuff? I hope it's not just for beer league haha.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote