HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chris Nilan Radio Interview

Old
02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

vCash: 500
Chris Nilan Radio Interview

Did anyone hear his interview, it's up on TSN.ca, man did he blast the Habs and rightly so. Not sure if someone else posted this, but I just listened to it, thought he made some good points about the lack of heart and emotion on this team.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Did anyone hear his interview, it's up on TSN.ca, man did he blast the Habs and rightly so. Not sure if someone else posted this, but I just listened to it, thought he made some good points about the lack of heart and emotion on this team.
Blasted the team or management mostly?

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Tusk

Heard it live yesterday, almost made me start a riot at my office. Make that man an assistant coach if they change the staff, he bleeds the CH.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 03:57 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
both, he said he starts from top and trickles down and if there's no change at the top then it won't change on the ice. He ripped Campoli and others, and was pissed about the Ribs goal and how no one did anything about his salute (i turned the game off after the 1st goal so I didn't see it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Heard it live yesterday, almost made me start a riot at my office. Make that man an assistant coach if they change the staff, he bleeds the CH.
agreed

Old
02-23-2012, 03:59 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Why can't we have him as an assistant coach instead of that gremlin Larry Carriere who doesn't even do anything behind the bench.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
missthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

I will never undertand blasting or booing the players, Gainey signed or traded for most of these players, Gauthier continued in the same direction and Molson has done nothing to show he cares about the direction either of these guys is headed. I believe most of the players are playing to the best of their ability. The management of the team are the ones that need to be booed or blasted!

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Tusk

I don't know if most of you are old enough to remember him crying when he was traded from the Habs, a freaking guy from Boston heartbroken to leave the Habs. Even as a 9 year old I was like, really, you're getting rid of someone that loves the team this much. 20 years later he still does.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I will never undertand blasting or booing the players, Gainey signed or traded for most of these players, Gauthier continued in the same direction and Molson has done nothing to show he cares about the direction either of these guys is headed. I believe most of the players are playing to the best of their ability. The management of the team are the ones that need to be booed or blasted!
When I see a player give a half assed effort on the ice, I boo them (or throw things at my tv, not recomended). Personally I think mangement, the owner, and many of the players are at fault here and should be booed or blasted. The lack of effort, heart, emotion is sickening.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:09 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
I don't think every player is giving it his all on the ice. I think eventually everyone gets warn down emotionally, but I still think some of the guys out there (bourque, campoli, for example) aren't giving 100%. But yes, management is responsible for the product on the ice.

Old
02-23-2012, 04:10 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
I don't know if most of you are old enough to remember him crying when he was traded from the Habs, a freaking guy from Boston heartbroken to leave the Habs. Even as a 9 year old I was like, really, you're getting rid of someone that loves the team this much. 20 years later he still does.
Yes, bring Nilan back.

Who wants to start an organized twitter trend?

Old
02-23-2012, 04:48 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Quote:
both, he said he starts from top and trickles down and if there's no change at the top then it won't change on the ice. He ripped Campoli and others, and was pissed about the Ribs goal and how no one did anything about his salute (i turned the game off after the 1st goal so I didn't see it)

agreed
Quote:
When I see a player give a half assed effort on the ice, I boo them (or throw things at my tv, not recomended). Personally I think mangement, the owner, and many of the players are at fault here and should be booed or blasted. The lack of effort, heart, emotion is sickening.
You always make those great poised, analytic level-headed comments. It's great to learn about that other emotive/throwing-things-at-the-tv part of you!

As for the part in bold, so that's how you get to watch all those AHL/NCAA/junior games, turning off Habs games after a single goal!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 04:51 PM
Schooner Guy

Knuckles is my favorite player of all time but you guys are letting your emotions get the better of you if you think he should be behind our bench.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:09 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Muller...same thing. We used to have guys who looked devastated when they were traded from the Habs. It's not like that anymore. I'm still sour about the Muller trade because he was a heart and soul player. Mike Keane as well. Need guys like that.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

He's spot on. We have a team of nice guys.

Letting guys showboat in your home, people taking runs at players and whatnot...

Is that how you build chemistry, team spirit and pride?

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
ClasslessGuy

Yeah why larry carrière was hired? I hope it's not to speak to the media because he can't speak on t.v and in french at all

ClasslessGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:48 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Yeah why larry carrière was hired? I hope it's not to speak to the media because he can't speak on t.v and in french at all
i believe because PG needed someone on the inside or molson wouldnt like him hire someone outside the team

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:49 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Muller...same thing. We used to have guys who looked devastated when they were traded from the Habs. It's not like that anymore. I'm still sour about the Muller trade because he was a heart and soul player. Mike Keane as well. Need guys like that.
i agree

he need guys that care deeply about the canadiens and that want and will do everything to help

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Knuckles is my favorite player of all time but you guys are letting your emotions get the better of you if you think he should be behind our bench.
You're probably right, and he has been out of coaching for a while but why not as a 4th assistant who motivates with pride for the CH. I think his past coaching experiences wouldn't make him totally useless.

Maybe just give him a role ala Alec Baldwin in Glengarry, Glen Ross. Haha.

But the more I think about it you're right, the lack of passion that has plagued this team all year is really motivating my comments.

Old
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Craig71

Chris Nilan....The only Hab that Don Cherry ever loved. I listened to the interview and it was spot on. He talked about the lack of emotion in players, the lack of pride and the "Me" element that is in most of the players on the roster and the lack of a "team first Mentality". He did however have praise for Emelin, Pacioretty and Cole as the only guys on the roster that were playing with heart. If you don't like what he said then the truth must hurt you. If you agree, you as well as Nilan can really see it for what it is.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Miller Time

definitely starts at the top...

during our playoff loss to the Bruins last year, at the end of each game they would show a quick glimpse of the management teams of both sides and how they reacted to the win/loss.

it was unbelieavable, and in my opinion, disgusting, how little emotion PG showed.

we can hate on Neely & Chiarelli all we want, but you can't for one second question how much both guys deeply care about their organization and its success.

not every person is as emotional as the next, but in the "business" of pro sports, an organization without emotion = a mediocre organization.

when you have a GM who looks about as "devastated" over a game 7 loss to a hated rival as he would to his waitress forgetting to refill his water, you've got problems from the top down.

as long as the leadership team favours stoic emotional detachment, wether "strategically" or by nature, it's hard to expect the end-product on the ice to be any emotionally invested.

even Gainey, the poster boy for keeping his emotions in check, showed the occasional emotional reaction... Gauthier? it's like guy really doesn't care.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 07:09 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
I have to say, if this is any blogger (myself included) that says the same exact thing, we'd get blasted. Since it's Nilan though, he's totally right! Not disagreeing with him at all, he is absolutely on par here, but a lot of us have been expressing the same sentiments.

Old
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
You're probably right, and he has been out of coaching for a while but why not as a 4th assistant who motivates with pride for the CH. I think his past coaching experiences wouldn't make him totally useless.

Maybe just give him a role ala Alec Baldwin in Glengarry, Glen Ross. Haha.

But the more I think about it you're right, the lack of passion that has plagued this team all year is really motivating my comments.
People working at any occupation whose only motivation is to avoid being fired do little more than the required minimum and practice passive aggression. Those salesmen in Glengarry Glen Ross hated the Baldwin character and did things behind his back. Do I have to remind you of disgruntled Habs who go elsewhere and delight in taking their revenge on their former team?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
People working at any occupation whose only motivation is to avoid being fired do little more than the required minimum and practice passive aggression. Those salesmen in Glengarry Glen Ross hated the Baldwin character and did things behind his back. Do I have to remind you of disgruntled Habs who go elsewhere and delight in taking their revenge on their former team?
You've missed the point and I think it's been a long time since you've seen that movie. His character comes and goes and scares the crap out of everybody. It was also a silly joke on my behalf, nothing to take too seriously.

Old
02-23-2012, 08:09 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I have to say, if this is any blogger (myself included) that says the same exact thing, we'd get blasted. Since it's Nilan though, he's totally right! Not disagreeing with him at all, he is absolutely on par here, but a lot of us have been expressing the same sentiments.
Nilan has a little more credibility than some nerd in his parents basement (not attacking you personally).

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 08:57 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Nilan has a little more credibility than some nerd in his parents basement (not attacking you personally).
How so? Playing in the NHL does not equal NHL managerial experience.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote