HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Nilan Radio Interview

Old
02-23-2012, 10:02 PM
hockeyfan2k11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
How so? Playing in the NHL does not equal NHL managerial experience.
Never said it does. But again, I'd think a guy who actually played the game, won a cup and has a lot of ties to people in hockey has more credibility than a kid who sits on HFBoards all day.

There's a reason why ex players are picked as analysts ahead of some average joe off the street.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Pleky Roks

Nilan was spot on!! Loved everything he said in the interview because its honest and true!!! We need to sign players that want to play for the Habs and re-sign current players that give 100% and love playing in Montreal too and keep them here long term. We can't keep bringing in new players every season or 2 because there is no love for the team and the city and they don't care at the end of the day if they win or lose...they just wanna get paid.

But if you invest time and money into draft picks and current younger players and do what it takes to keep them in Montreal then you get players that care!!!

Nilan needs to be involved with the Habs organization in some capacity. If he couldn't rally the troops in the dressing room and motivate players to work their a$$es off....nobody could!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:07 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleky Roks View Post
Nilan was spot on!! Loved everything he said in the interview because its honest and true!!! We need to sign players that want to play for the Habs and re-sign current players that give 100% and love playing in Montreal too and keep them here long term. We can't keep bringing in new players every season or 2 because there is no love for the team and the city and they don't care at the end of the day if they win or lose...they just wanna get paid.

But if you invest time and money into draft picks and current younger players and do what it takes to keep them in Montreal then you get players that care!!!

Nilan needs to be involved with the Habs organization in some capacity. If he couldn't rally the troops in the dressing room and motivate players to work their a$$es off....nobody could!!
Very true

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Knuckles is my favorite player of all time but you guys are letting your emotions get the better of you if you think he should be behind our bench.
Actually he'd be a good guy to have in management. He understands the mix of players that is required to win and the mental warfare part of the game. In hearing him speak on radio I am convinced he's very much in touch with the game. He doesn't speak in platitudes or solely from war stories from his playing days but in more current terms. He's articulate and could be an asset upstairs as Asst. GM or the like. And since he's still in love with the city, the team and the fans I'd expect nothing less than a 100 percent committment from him. He would be a great interview as well.

If I'm Molson I talk to this guy about a job .

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:22 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Actually he'd be a good guy to have in management. He understands the mix of players that is required to win and the mental warfare part of the game. In hearing him speak on radio I am convinced he's very much in touch with the game. He doesn't speak in platitudes or solely from war stories from his playing days but in more current terms. He's articulate and could be an asset upstairs as Asst. GM or the like. And since he's still in love with the city, the team and the fans I'd expect nothing less than a 100 percent committment from him. He would be a great interview as well.

If I'm Molson I talk to this guy about a job .

Nilan has been assistant coach before (NJ) and I think head coach at a minor level (ECHL).

If he is healthy, why not ?

No one would fall asleep at the wheel.

Ladouceur is Mother Theresa compared to Nilan.

Get me Roy + Nilan & Robinson behind this bench, PLEASE !

Last edited by habitue*: 02-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
You've missed the point and I think it's been a long time since you've seen that movie. His character comes and goes and scares the crap out of everybody. It was also a silly joke on my behalf, nothing to take too seriously.
I don't take it too seriously but I disagree with your interpretation. I'm reminded of another movie with a far scarier boss: Darth Vader. His subordinates kept screwing up despite living in mortal terror. In frustration he choked them to death because they couldn't perform to his satisfaction. Ultimately Vader failed and the empire collapsed. The same goes for tyrannical coaches.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
both, he said he starts from top and trickles down and if there's no change at the top then it won't change on the ice. He ripped Campoli and others, and was pissed about the Ribs goal and how no one did anything about his salute (i turned the game off after the 1st goal so I didn't see it)
Yup, back in the day we never would've put up with the type of crap that Ribs pulled the other night. We would've taken a 5 minute penalty but would've sent a message. There was a sense back then that this was our house and you don't ever mess with us here. That's completely gone now.

Nilan's right, there was a sense of pride here that just seems to be missing now.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
People working at any occupation whose only motivation is to avoid being fired do little more than the required minimum and practice passive aggression. Those salesmen in Glengarry Glen Ross hated the Baldwin character and did things behind his back. Do I have to remind you of disgruntled Habs who go elsewhere and delight in taking their revenge on their former team?
God, I LOVE that movie.

You have a point.

Still... its up to management to find gutsy players.

We have a few at least.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
LastRide

Everything Nilan said is true. Not that you couldn't see the problems. There are too many whimps on this team first of all. A lot of our players are no shows for a lot of games. You don't see the determination and the drive. The organization made a lot of mistakes picking and trading for the wrong players. Only players that give it all and wear the sweater with pride should be allowed to play on this team. Both owners and GM's need to take blame for the mistakes they have made.

LastRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Knuckles is my favorite player of all time but you guys are letting your emotions get the better of you if you think he should be behind our bench.
Same here; I was a huge fan of Gainey – Carboneau – Nilan but if Nilan finds a way behind our bench we would be in big - bigger! - troubles.

I sure agree that we need more "Emotion" but that should come with experience behind the bench:

I was a big fan of Nilan; him against the world:

Nilan vs Ron Francis, Kevin Dineen, Babych, Anderson and Bothwell

Ryan White... the next Nilan? Not in terms of sheer goon force but more in terms of a tough guy who can assume defensive duties without sacrificing the "draw the line" component.

-----------------

=> The Ribeiro's trade (the OP mentioned Ribeiro "... was pissed about the Ribs goal..."; can we read/hear the tsn radio broadcast?) was a huge mistake by Gainey but luckily for us Gauthier, slowly but surely, is cleaning Gainey's mess.

=> Nilan? The guy is a former alcoholic/drug addict; he would not be my first choice. We all love a good story but he isn't worth a million bucks per year.

That being mentioned I agree with the OP: the lack of effort, heart or emotion – especially in the recent games - is sickening.

---------

EDIT 1

Here it is: http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip625111#clip625111

EDIT 2:

My GAWD! Unsurprisingly the English reporter is the one who first mentioned Ribeiro (the reporter was digging for dirt imo); Ribeiro aside, I mostly agree with everything Nilan mentioned. The lack of emotion was sickening.

Btw Ribeiro was not mocking the fans:

. In Montreal the fans are the ones who vote on the three stars => we voted for Ribeiro as the first star
. As you can hear, the fans were cheering...
. He mentioned that he would like to come back to Montreal one day.

Heck... he sure showed emotion:

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 02-24-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
My GAWD! Unsurprisingly the English reporter is the one who first mentioned Ribeiro (the reporter was digging for dirt imo); Ribeiro aside, I mostly agree with everything Nilan mentioned. The lack of emotion was sickening.

Btw Ribeiro was not mocking the fans:

. In Montreal the fans are the ones who vote on the three stars => we voted for Ribeiro as the first star
. As you can hear, the fans were cheering...
. He mentioned that he would like to come back to Montreal one day.

Heck... he sure showed emotion:

Still would've been nice to have seen him pulverized after that cocky salute.

Old
02-24-2012, 12:28 AM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Still would've been nice to have seen him pulverized after that cocky salute.
A great salute imo!

Ribeiro
Gainey

That being mentioned: Nilan was great and I am a fan of Moen and White.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Heard it live yesterday, almost made me start a riot at my office. Make that man an assistant coach if they change the staff, he bleeds the CH.
Nilan played for the Habs when the team was full of warriors with guys that had won cups and we proud to wear the jersey. So much leadership. That link to the Glorieux was severed when Houle took over and Roy left. It seems like we never got it back like it's lost forever.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 02:31 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I don't know if most of you are old enough to remember him crying when he was traded from the Habs, a freaking guy from Boston heartbroken to leave the Habs. Even as a 9 year old I was like, really, you're getting rid of someone that loves the team this much. 20 years later he still does.

I cried too. You never trade someone like Nilan.

Old
02-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
How so? Playing in the NHL does not equal NHL managerial experience.
He played the game and knows what it takes to win. The guy was immersed into the Habs experience by vets like Gainey and Larry and Sege Savard then lived through all the rivalries and went in there like a warrior.

Old
02-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
A great salute imo!

Ribeiro
Gainey

That being mentioned: Nilan was great and I am a fan of Moen and White.
God why would you give a thumbs up to that immature little punk? He is garbage best left by the side of the road. As mentioned in an article in another thread, even the Dallas Stars who are desperate for center help wouldn't mind seeing this guy go. He's just such a little twerp.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:10 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
definitely starts at the top...

during our playoff loss to the Bruins last year, at the end of each game they would show a quick glimpse of the management teams of both sides and how they reacted to the win/loss.

it was unbelieavable, and in my opinion, disgusting, how little emotion PG showed.

we can hate on Neely & Chiarelli all we want, but you can't for one second question how much both guys deeply care about their organization and its success.

not every person is as emotional as the next, but in the "business" of pro sports, an organization without emotion = a mediocre organization.

when you have a GM who looks about as "devastated" over a game 7 loss to a hated rival as he would to his waitress forgetting to refill his water, you've got problems from the top down.
Yeah right, I remember Bowman sobbing on the bench, and Pollock kicking sticks and screaming.

This is a fail thread. Our Team is crap, and yelling coaches and sobbing GM's are not gonna change this.

Bring Roy on. Do it. Let's get it over with.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:16 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Yup, back in the day we never would've put up with the type of crap that Ribs pulled the other night. We would've taken a 5 minute penalty but would've sent a message. There was a sense back then that this was our house and you don't ever mess with us here. That's completely gone now.

Nilan's right, there was a sense of pride here that just seems to be missing now.
Back in the day no ever did what Ribs did, so how do you know? This thread is a joke. I'm gone.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:16 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Did anyone hear his interview, it's up on TSN.ca, man did he blast the Habs and rightly so. Not sure if someone else posted this, but I just listened to it, thought he made some good points about the lack of heart and emotion on this team.
He may have some points....but this isn't 1986. Teams say you can't carry all heart - no talent guys anymore. Nilan played in a different era, gone are the Nilans, Kordics, etc...

But I'd like to see a Campoli traded and call up a Henry. A tough guy who is chomping at the bit to play in nhl

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Mike The Wall

Larry Carriere is there to be PG eyes and ears to see what is going on in the room he is not there for any other reason!

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Back in the day no ever did what Ribs did, so how do you know? This thread is a joke. I'm gone.
They didn't do it because they'd get smoked.

Old
02-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Yeah right, I remember Bowman sobbing on the bench, and Pollock kicking sticks and screaming.

This is a fail thread. Our Team is crap, and yelling coaches and sobbing GM's are not gonna change this.

Bring Roy on. Do it. Let's get it over with.
who said anything about "sobbing"? if you need to over exaggerate to make your case, perhaps its b/c your argument fails otherwise?

and to your misguided point, in 95-96, when the Wings lost in the conference finals to the Avs, you could practically see the steam rising from the top of his head...

i'm betting Pollock didn't suffer losing very easily either, though I wasn't around to see his reactions on those rare occasions the habs lost under his tenure.

nobody's talking about having a drama queen running the show, but a guy who shows absolutely NO emotion when his team loses a game 7 final, is not the kind of person you want running/leading your team.

pretty straight forward.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:36 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveForDrawingBlood View Post
He may have some points....but this isn't 1986. Teams say you can't carry all heart - no talent guys anymore. Nilan played in a different era, gone are the Nilans, Kordics, etc...

But I'd like to see a Campoli traded and call up a Henry. A tough guy who is chomping at the bit to play in nhl
No said we had to carry all heart no talent guys, but if they did what's the worst the can happen, going from 14th in the east to 15th? I'd rather watch no talent guys that care about the organization then overpaid heartless players that are soft as hell.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
No said we had to carry all heart no talent guys, but if they did what's the worst the can happen, going from 14th in the east to 15th? I'd rather watch no talent guys that care about the organization then overpaid heartless players that are soft as hell.
quoted for truth

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote