HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers talking contract with Marty Biron

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 09:53 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Perfect back-up goalie, we are pretty fortunate to have him. I was fully expecting Biron to test the UFA market to possibly get a starting gig somewhere, but if he's back, that's excellent news.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
JimmyStart*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Yes because shot total is always indicative of quality of scoring chances right? Look at the defensive breakdowns in the Chicago game... Look at the Devils game we lost in the shootout... They leave Kovalchuck wide open below the hash marks on the PP for the Devils 2nd goal, and then Clarkson gets the breakaway off the bad bounce to tie the game at 3 in the 3rd. Both goals Marty's fault right? Or do we expect him to save 9 outta 10 breakaways like Lundqvist does? You can go crunch all the #'s you want if it makes you feel better about your exaggerations. Biron has not been solid lately but that alone does not tarnish an otherwise good season from him. No amount of "What have you done for me lately" attitude will change that.

Didn't you also recently characterize one of Hagelin's recent games as "terrible" IIRC? You seem to have a knack for the over-the-top characterizations.
How dare you look beyond stats and use your brain. That's not fair to inferno's debate style case in point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post

That's all i have to say.
Hope he's a man of his word when he says thats all he has to say

Old
02-24-2012, 07:26 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Perfect back-up goalie, we are pretty fortunate to have him. I was fully expecting Biron to test the UFA market to possibly get a starting gig somewhere, but if he's back, that's excellent news.
At this point in his career he will never ever start anywhere,imo.Then again i thought Vokun and theodore were done and apparently I was wrong about that.

Old
02-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

I'd be glad to re-sign Marty. He plays his role and plays it very well, on top of being a team guy and well-liked in the room.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:11 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Told there has been "progress" in contract talks btwn Rangers and goaltender Martin Biron. Had good year, works well with Lundqvist
https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/...69162774495233

Old
06-07-2012, 06:13 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Jim Cerny is close with Marty Biron. They do those videos together. Cerny said during one of his chats(I think it was last week)that Biron would be back.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

Biron wants to stay in NY. He's got his family and son growing up here

Old
06-07-2012, 06:19 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I'm not really surprised. Everyone seems comfortable with the situation and he looks like he found a good home and a sweet gig.

06-07-2012, 06:21 PM
LordsCup*

Dammit.

His age caught up to his weakness, 5 hole, and it really became a problem. Teams figured this out in dec and he was brutal since then.

Really wished we would cut ties.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I'm not really surprised. Everyone seems comfortable with the situation and he looks like he found a good home and a sweet gig.
he's a good back up goalie and a good team guy. Bring him back for 2 yrs

Old
06-07-2012, 06:38 PM
LordsCup*

Since December wasnt his Save % below .900? Something crazy like that.

Why would anyone want him back? Sure hes a great guy, let him be an assistant coach for the Rangers. I'd like to have a backup we can rely on. Biron is clearly passed his time..

Old
06-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post

Why would anyone want him back? Sure hes a great guy, let him be an assistant coach for the Rangers. I'd like to have a backup we can rely on. Biron is clearly passed his time..
have you looked at the back up G pool? Biron is the best option .........Who else? Chris Mason?

Old
06-07-2012, 06:56 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
have you looked at the back up G pool? Biron is the best option .........Who else? Chris Mason?
Id take Gustavsson over Biron to be honest.

Old
06-07-2012, 06:56 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

Or a young replacement for Lundqvist...after Hank not much depth...no future young goalie prospects...maybe Missaien (sp)...I hope they draft a goalie this year but not all great goalies get drafted early..

Old
06-07-2012, 06:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I honestly don't really see that big of a deal. He had a couple of bad starts but he was very good the rest of the year. We don't really need a whole lot out of him to be honest.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Id take Gustavsson over Biron to be honest.
if they lost Biron I would say sure to Gustavsson but he's not as proven as Marty.........I just think a back up G needs to be a great team guy and Biron is great in that role. Can we agree on that?

Old
06-07-2012, 07:03 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
if they lost Biron I would say sure to Gustavsson but he's not as proven as Marty.........I just think a back up G needs to be a great team guy and Biron is great in that role. Can we agree on that?
I can definitely agree on that.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:05 PM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
I honestly don't really see that big of a deal. He had a couple of bad starts but he was very good the rest of the year. We don't really need a whole lot out of him to be honest.
He was played a lot the first 2/3 of the season. Sure he only played 21 games, but he played most of those in the first 60.

If they drop his games to 18, and spread them out more, I would be more inclined to bring him back.

Old
06-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

Quote:
Yeah! If you look at him on the bench, he's always active. Talking to guys, giving advice. He's almost like an extra coach on the bench

Old
06-07-2012, 07:31 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
you mean goalies that play say 10-25 games so far this season who have a better sv%?
Rask
Schneider
Greiss
Harding
Enroth
all 'backup' goalies that are better doesn't do us much good...rask will be the #1 this year with thomas taking the year off or being traded and van is looking to move luongo so schneider can be the #1 so they really aren't 'backups'

but as alternatives to biron we should only be looking at guys that are 1)available and 2) have low cap hits cause we don't have the space to be wasting on a backup.

harding is a ufa and only made $700k but i'm not sure i can see he is better than biron...and don't see enroth or greiss being good enough to justify trading assets for them over just signing biron

Old
06-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Kershaw

How about getting the other Marty to back up Lundqvist?

Old
06-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Tanner Glass
Tanner 'C'lass GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
How about getting the other Marty to back up Lundqvist?

Old
06-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Leetch66

I would sooner have Gustavsson than Biron especially if he can be signed for a Million or less .He is young...Swedish and should improve being around the King . Heck...didn't he shut us out last season in a game at MSG ??? I'm just not a big fan of Biron...he was bad while playing in Philly too IMO . I would be scared if the King ever goes down for a month or so...

Old
06-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Chief

Quote:
Luongo.

But seriously...I don't think Biron is anything special...I think Clemmensen and B. Johnson are better...personally, if you don't have a backup that you'll put in a playoff game when The King is having a bad day, then don't spend needlessly for 20 regular season starts. If Henrik goes down, the Rangers will have to get a starter elsewhere anyway because Biron won't lead us to the playoffs over an extended period.

Old
06-07-2012, 08:26 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetch66 View Post
I would sooner have Gustavsson than Biron especially if he can be signed for a Million or less .He is young...Swedish and should improve being around the King . Heck...didn't he shut us out last season in a game at MSG ??? I'm just not a big fan of Biron...he was bad while playing in Philly too IMO . I would be scared if the King ever goes down for a month or so...
Biron's cap hit was 875k. He won't get much of a raise on that.

With Biron getting his share of games, we were 1st in the east and 2nd in the league in the regular season, which is the only time he will play. If we need our backup in the playoffs, it won't matter who we have. The only way to get a better backup is to develop one.

Closed Thread