HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers talking contract with Marty Biron

Closed Thread

Old
06-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Riverdale

vCash: 500
I'd be glad to have Biron back. He had a shaky couple months towards the end of the season, no-one can argue that he didn't look himself. But as far as backups go, he is good. On top of that he is a great locker room guy. He seems to fit really well here and you can tell he sticks up for his team mates.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:38 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I say let him walk unless he's super cheap. He sucks.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:38 PM
Chief

...and following up on GAGLine's last post...can we draft a top goalie prospect, so we might have someone who could start in the NHL in 3 or 4 years? The King ain't getting any younger...and he'll be UFA after 13/14.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:39 PM
broadwayblue

Biron is fine as Hank's backup. He's a good team guy and his 5 hole weakness is really mostly a detriment in the SO. If we could score a few more goals it would hardly be an issue.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:43 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
...and following up on GAGLine's last post...can we draft a top goalie prospect, so we might have someone who could start in the NHL in 3 or 4 years? The King ain't getting any younger...and he'll be UFA after 13/14.
And why do we need a new starter in 3 or 4 years? Hank will sign an extension in two years and will be our #1 guy for the next 6 years if not more. No need to draft a top prospect now...that guy won't be playing for us ever. I'm fine with using a lower round pick or signing a non-drafted goalie for organizational depth. But there's really no need to be drafting "top prospects" at this point.

Old
06-07-2012, 09:49 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
I think he will be back and these will be the terms.......nice to see them looking to sign up Prust and Biron ,both are obvious resign options so may as well take care of it now
seems fair man..im more concerned with {Prust being signed.To be honest would let Biron go.... im not confident with him if henke goes down... Pitts just signed vokun..not sure of price tag but hes a backup id love

Old
06-07-2012, 10:22 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And why do we need a new starter in 3 or 4 years? Hank will sign an extension in two years and will be our #1 guy for the next 6 years if not more. No need to draft a top prospect now...that guy won't be playing for us ever. I'm fine with using a lower round pick or signing a non-drafted goalie for organizational depth. But there's really no need to be drafting "top prospects" at this point.
Hank was drafted in 2000, didn't play his first game as a Ranger until 2005. If the Rangers don't think one of Johnson, Talbot, Missiaen or Stajcer project as a future #1, we need to keep looking. Having two #1 goalies is a good problem to have.

Old
06-07-2012, 10:53 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

there are better options out there, but sometimes intangibles, like being a good locker room guy matters i guess. i still woulda looked elsewhere.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Seven Years

Better get working on that five-hole. It was scary watching him his last few games.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:40 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Good. Good guy to have around.

Get Prust resigned, as well.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:44 AM
LordsCup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Good. Good guy to have around.

Get Prust resigned, as well.
In curious, what do you want to do to improve the team? Seems like you want to keep the same exact team. Make no trades to get better players, and keep the same players.

How do you propose we make the team better?

Old
06-08-2012, 12:57 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
there are better options out there, but sometimes intangibles, like being a good locker room guy matters i guess. i still woulda looked elsewhere.
I'd be interested to hear that list.

Old
06-08-2012, 12:59 AM
NewYorkRangers89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
In curious, what do you want to do to improve the team? Seems like you want to keep the same exact team. Make no trades to get better players, and keep the same players.

OR maybe he wants to build chemistry? Prust is a good player, who would you replace him with? And why NOT sign Biron again? What did he do to not be resigned? Did he lose a must win game for us? Start trouble in the locker room?

Old
06-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
I'd be interested to hear that list.
Gustavsson, Hedberg, and Clemmenson all had SV% better than Biron or pretty close. When you consider the style of game that the Rangers play, Birons .904 sv% is pretty damn mediocre if not worse...Gurstavsson didnt play behind a great team and put up similar numbers.

Id go with Hedberg personally.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:06 AM
NewYorkRangers89*

Hedberg? LOL come on seriously? He sucks and so does Clemensenn and Gustavvson, they would get chewed up by the MSG crowd, bring Biron back.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkRangers89 View Post
Hedberg? LOL come on seriously? He sucks and so does Clemensenn and Gustavvson, they would get chewed up by the MSG crowd, bring Biron back.
Hedberg is actually the one on the list I would take ahead of Biron. He is 1,000 years old though.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:14 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:

In real life, relationships amongst the players (chemistry) is a dynamic thing on a real hockey club.

Biron is a fine back up. We don't need to spend more on positions that are not in need.

Prust is a huge part of this club.

Trading for Ryan and Nash is not realistic.

I've stated many times id be fine adding Parise. If he goes elsewhere, so be it.

Stated repeatedly that they need to sign Schultz.

However, there's natural progression from this very young team that will also contribute to making the team better.

Kreider for a full year. Dubinsky scoring 20 again. Full year of Hagelin.

They won the Division, won the Eastern Conference regular season, got to game six of the Conference Final.

There's NOT going to be a big turn over.

Radulov is a POS. We need scoring depth but we don't have to add any piece of garbage that rears its head.

Schultz will be a big factor. Sign him and trading a defenseman becomes a possibility to add a scoring winger.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:16 AM
Machinehead
ActingLikeAStempniak

He didn't score much last year. Get rid of the bum.

Old
06-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Silence Of The Plams
Zemgod

vCash: 476
Happy Biron will/should be back. He is solid and a great guy in the locker room, ice, and off it. We do need some scoring LWers. Schultz is realistic for D.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:27 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
they suck? if they suck, what does Biron do? Blow? Hedberg is ten times the goalie that Biron is, even at the age of 92 or whatever he is.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:33 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
It's easy to not focus on goaltending at the draft when you have a stud like Lundqvist but he's 30 and will be a UFA in two years. I think at this point in time a smart organization would start hedging its bets.

I think we all expect Lundqvist to re-sign here in two years but there's no guarantees. I'm sure Montreal fans thought Roy would be winning Cups with them instead the Avs...and I'm sure Sabres fans didn't expect to be watching Hasek win Cups with Detroit...or Chicago fans watching Belfour win one in Dallas.

Salary caps might get in the way. Differences of opinion on a player's worth or how long a contract he should get could get in the way. A relationship with a coach could go sour. Frustration with a team not winning the Cup could set in (although I'm hoping the Rangers can take care of that net season And we all saw Richter's career cut short by injury.

Is it really so crazy to try and get a top prospect at that position at this point in time? You can probably use a 2nd rounder on that kind of prospect in this draft. And if you're really lucky you'll have a young stud ready to back up Lundqvist in 3, 4 or 5 years. A player who could potentially carry your team to the playoffs if need be.

Old
06-08-2012, 02:51 AM
Chief

Quote:
I think you're underrating Clemmensen, in particular. He saved the Devils bacon a few years ago when Marty went down posting a 25-13-1 record and he's still solid going 14-6-6 this season with Florida, which was a much better winning percentage than Theodore had at 22-16-11.

Doesn't really matter. I fully expect Biron to be re-signed.

Last edited by Chief: 06-08-2012 at 02:57 AM.
Old
06-08-2012, 03:26 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Great teammate, and a great backup. Looked pretty bad down the stretch but a part of it may be because he was getting less work.

Old
06-08-2012, 03:27 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

give him 1.275 for 2 years and offer him an internship with sam rosen when he retires.

Quote:

prust is good for a 4th liner and he's likely a fair price. we're losing feds/mitchell/zuc. means space is there. prust can play a strong defensive game and forecheck and he fights as much as anyone in the league and guys don't want to fight him. he plays hard every single night. i'm curious who you want to replace him with for the price? even if we fill the team prust could be a solid, affordable depth guy. don't forget we play an injury prone system.

and sure biron could be replaced, but why fix what isn't broken? he did what we needed him to do when we needed him to do it. he had an outstanding start leading the league in save percentage and goals against average. he was not the only reason that they lost games he played towards the end. there were an outstanding number of odd man rushes and our defense started falling apart when he was playing.

he's got a strong veteran presence with the guys, helps guys on shootouts, and plays well most of the time. he's cheap, and he's effective. no reason not to keep him if the price is right.

Last edited by Kreider Typical: 06-08-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old
06-08-2012, 03:44 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
  1. Biron
  2. Gustavsson
  3. Hedberg

One million dollars

Prust 3 years @ 1,4 per

Nuff said

Closed Thread