HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nash Rumors Part VI: Carter to LA; Nash next to move?

Closed Thread

Old
02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
Moosehead777

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
well my question would be assuming you deal Dubinsky, McIlrath, Thomas and a 1st for Nash, what do you trade for Brown?
why a bag of pucks and a broken stick...that one was easy to answer.

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...sEnabled=false

Old
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
well my question would be assuming you deal Dubinsky, McIlrath, Thomas and a 1st for Nash, what do you trade for Brown?
Nothing. Because we have a Brown, and his name is Callahan.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:46 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead777 View Post
Sather my dear Sather..such a tactician when it comes to moving blocks of ice....Nash in NY for peanuts....And as the weather will start to warm... We'll be at the Garden, we'll be at the local pub, we'll be at home with some friends....watching as the clock winds down and we are crowned...........
From your lips to GODS ears.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:48 PM
aemoreira1981

Why would McIlrath be in the counter-offer instead of Tim Erixon? There is no place on the Rangers' NHL squad for another offensive D-man, as Erixon is. McIlrath could actually fit on Broadway after a season or two in the AHL, as he's a physical defenseman.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:51 PM
Moosehead777

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
From your lips to GODS ears.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
So he wouldn't deal for Nash if he were running the Rangers...but he also wouldn't deal Nash if he were running Columbus. lol

Old
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Why would McIlrath be in the counter-offer instead of Tim Erixon? There is no place on the Rangers' NHL squad for another offensive D-man, as Erixon is. McIlrath could actually fit on Broadway after a season or two in the AHL, as he's a physical defenseman.
My understanding is that Erixon isn't so much an offensive D as an all-around guy... like McDonagh, Girardi and Staal are.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Slick Rick 61

Erixon being touted as a pure offensive defenseman is a misconception. He's a two-way, heady player. He's more of a stable puck-mover who will contribute his offense on the power-play. Not flashy, but sound.

You can't have enough guys like that. He was far more comfortable in his short stint in December. The offensive part of his game will develop at this level.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:54 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
So he wouldn't deal for Nash if he were running the Rangers...but he also wouldn't deal Nash if he were running Columbus. lol
pretty much lol ... although all these points about Hank getting older, Gabby right at the peak of his career etc makes a very strong case to grab Nash and go ALL IN

Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
Just how many offensive D do you think we have? As far as guys who truly fit that description we have perhaps 1 in MDZ. While McDonagh may round out his offensive game I don't know that he'll ever be an elite offensive force from the blue line. Staal, Girardi and Sauer don't excel in that area. Not sure how you can say we don't have room for more offensive minded D.

Old
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
There is a reason he's running an ECHL team.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:58 PM
aemoreira1981

Quote:
Just how many offensive D do you think we have? As far as guys who truly fit that description we have perhaps 1 in MDZ. While McDonagh may round out his offensive game I don't know that he'll ever be an elite offensive force from the blue line. Staal, Girardi and Sauer don't excel in that area. Not sure how you can say we don't have room for more offensive minded D.
I actually was thinking of McD in that regard.

Old
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
There is a reason he's running an ECHL team.
In second place in their division!

But how do you go from an NHL GM to the President and GM of an ECHL team?

Old
02-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post

You spend a month as GM of the Islanders?

Old
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Moosehead777

If you build a Stanley Cup team, chances are, your players are really good, and it will be hard to keep them together when their contracts are up.

The biggest thing people are missing about the future is, Gaborik will not be resigned if Nash is added. We will have a 3 year window of opportunity to win the Cup with both of them. After that, Gaborik is expendable in favor of youth coming up. 34 year old Gabby that still has health questions becomes expendable when you have 30 year old Nash and other players like Stepan turning 25, Kreider turning 27, etc...

Timing is everything. Kreider will not be an instant 30-40 goal superstar. You have to give him 2-3 years to develop. Nash is the player the Rangers need right now and through the next 3 years. By the time Kreider is ready, Gaborik can be let go at age 34. Nash will still be there as the Rangers top player. BUT Kreider can't be involved. You gotta go with something like Dubinsky, McIlrath, Christian Thomas, and a #1. maybe even substitute Hagelin for McIlrath.

How do you expect to keep a roster like Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Del Zotto, Sauer, McIlrath, Erixon????? Thats 7 TOP defensemen that will command top contracts and top minutes. Move 1 piece now to complete a lack of offense on the team and make your cup run.

Your never gonna be able to hold onto all those D in 3 years when Erixon and McIlrath are ready. Fill a hole now before you lose someone in the future for less.
Going for a Stanley Cup is all about getting the most peaking players in their prime as you can. You may have prospects up the rear, but if the timing is always off on the development, then you will never win. The Rangers are in a VERY important 3 year stretch right now when they have some world class Defense ALL signed. Lundqvist is in his prime. They NEED to make the move for Nash to complete the Offense. If you wait, then you will eventually lose Defense to higher contracts, Lundqvists gets older, etc... Gotta take FULL advantage of the next 3 year window to win the cup.

Our Defense is already one of the best in the league. You need offense to add to it in order to win. EVERY team will step up in defense when the playoffs come around. If we can't finish against the 30th team in the league, then what happens in the playoffs???

Our games come down to defense and goaltending way too much. You need to address the lack of finishing NOW or it will hurt you in the playoffs when EVERYONE starts to play more shutdown D.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:02 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post

See NY Rangers 1995-2000.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:03 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Tim Erixon is not an offensive defenseman, which makes his AHL numbers even more impressive.

He's very impressive defensively. I think he'll play a defense focused role except when he's on the power play.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
You spend a month as GM of the Islanders?
It's a good transition, that's for sure.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
Entirely possible.

The Dubi/McIlrath/Thomas/1st deal with LA and maybe a future 1st + Wolski for Brown?

Brown > Dubi
Nash > whoever sits

I believe we have the cap room for it too.
The whole reason Brown is available is because LA needs cap space after taking Carter. So they not only would they not take Wolski because he sucks but he makes more than Brown so it would be pointless. We'd have to give them Anisimov or Hagelin because they need roster players not prospects.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

"Nash-es to Nash-es, Dust-in to Dust-in"

It's late.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
"Nash-es to Nash-es, Dust-in to Dust-in"

It's late.
good one for any hour.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:10 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
good one for any hour.
Heh, thanks.

Of course, by the time this thread hits 1000 posts, Dustin Brown will be a member of the Panthers and the frontrunners for Nash will be the Predators. That's how fast this **** changes.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:16 PM
elliot878

Wow. Sather is taking Howson to trade school.

Transcript of events (day of events not accurate - don't shoot):

Last week
Howson: Yea we're starting from scratch, Nash is available.
Slats: Price?
Howson: Del Zotto or McDonagh, Kreider, 1st rounder
Slats: Cool bro, talk to ya later (hangs up)

Monday
Howson: Glenn I know its the holiday, we're not close on anything with anyone yet, but there's plenty of interest. Just wanted to let you know, Nash is still on the block. I know you have a thing for elite players with ridiculous cap hits that would potentially create a cap crunch. Figured I should keep you involved.
Slats: Yea man, seems chill. I like Nash, can't lie, his dough boy good looks get my blood flowin, but I'm not giving Del Zotto or McDonagh, they're untouchable.
Howson: Ugh fine fine, understandable. Dubinsky, Kreider, Erixon, and your first and we can get this thing done.
Slats: Yeaaaaaa (hangs up).

Tuesday
Howson: Glenn we've got the Kings willing to move Bernier +, the Canucks willing to part with Schneider +. They fill our biggest need in a rebuild. You going to get serious and up your offer or what?
Slats: You drive a hard bargain. How about, Dubinsky, Christian Thomas, Dilan McIlrath, and our first?
Howson: G-- D----- Glenn are you #*)$#!)$> kidding me?! I know you want this, get serious! (hangs up)

Wednesday
Howson: Yea so, Glenn, the serious suitors for Ricky are dwindling, and I know despite your lack of commitment to putting forth a good, realistic offer, you want in on this guy.
Slats: Bet your @** I do.
Howson: Yea. Were going to work on moving some other pieces before we move Nash.
Slats: Yea, you do what you gotta do, I'll be here. (hangs up)

Thursday Morning
Howson: Alright. Vermettes gone. Carter's on his way out by tonight.
Slats: Well aren't you productive.
Howson: Yea, and somehow you're the only team that will still accept my phone calls on Nash, so lets get serious about that after Carter is moved.
Slats: Sounds good. I'm gonna go smoke a victory cigar.
Howson: What? Why?
Slats: Its mid February in New York and the temperatures are in the 50s. Good a reason as any.
Howson: Oh yea. Uhh, so how about when the Carter thing is all done we start our talks with a framework of Dubinsky, Thomas, Erixon, and your 1st.
Slats: Eh, we'll see. My original offer stands. Go do your Carter stuff, and get back to me when you have an answer on the deal I offered yesterday. (hangs up)

Thursday Night
Howson: Alright, Carter's on a plane to LA. Lets get going on this.
Slats: Can't talk now Howsie, on the phone with L.A. Since you traded them Carter they're dangling Dustin Brown, thanks!
Howson: Are you serious!??! Dustin Brown isn't half the offensive threat that Rick Nash is!
Slats: Yea, well he's a consistent mid 20's goal scorer, and consistent 50 point player with the balls to fit perfectly in Torts' system, and at half the cap number.
Howson: So where do we stand on Nash?! I know you still want him!
Slats: Of course I do, let me know about that Dubinsky + Thomas + McIlrath + 1st offer whenever ya get a chance.
Howson: (Hangs up) *&$^&$@()*%$%(#*%&(#%#*#

Anyways. Love that Dustin Brown is available. Gives Sather even more leverage against Howson if he continues to pursue Nash.

If not, I've always been a big fan of Brown, and would honestly prefer him to Nash based on the cap hit. Nothing not to like about having another Callahan, one whose been (up to this point) a more consistent goal scorer too. Wouldn't cost the price in prospects or in cap problems that Nash would.

Yea, I just jumped on the Dustin Brown bandwagon.

Old
02-23-2012, 11:21 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Amazing work, Elliot. How long did that composition take?

Closed Thread