HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings trade Jack Johnson and a 1st Round Pick to CBJ for Jeff Carter

Old
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
You can sense the disappointment, and it was obviously clear in the end, in Jack's voice but he took the high road and was finding the positives in moving on to Columbus. I'd guarantee he and Dean won't be sharing a beer in the future though.
"Congrats on the trade" Marty McSorely. Really Marty, that's how you open up an interview?

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:09 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 460
Post from a CBJ fan (named CBJ fan) who was at the event.

Quote:
saw jeff carter tonight at 8:15 est at CBJ STH event finishing a video game with two fans. A woman whispered something in his ear and he was outta there

Flour Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:12 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
My personal jersey curse continues: Deadmarsh, Palffy, Visnovsky, Frolov, Johnson.

Dustin Brown: you are on the block
I'm right with you man.

Cammalleri, Visnovsky, Johnson.

I'm buying a Stoll jersey next.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:14 PM
eleventy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
I'm right with you man.

Cammalleri, Visnovsky, Johnson.

I'm buying a Stoll jersey next.
Can you get a Penner one while you're at it?

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleventy View Post
Can you get a Penner one while you're at it?
I saw someone in a Penner Kings jersey at the Kings-Hawks game here in Chicago. Maybe it was whiskeypete

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:18 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Not sure if this was posted already:

Quote:
JohnBorukCSN: On the Richards-Carter relationship one Flyer told me: Mike likes Jeff but Jeff loves Mike. Carter can't pack fast enough. #heroworship
You gotta imagine Carter is ecstatic about coming here, which is always a good thing

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
tantrum4*

Well I've said this over and over on these boards and have been mocked many times for it. PLease read this from Deano's interview tonight and hopefully it puts some of your worries at ease about the partying

http://www.webpagescreenshot.info/im...224201261850AM

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:19 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post

You gotta imagine Carter is ecstatic about coming here, which is always a good thing
Lets hope it shows on the ice.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:20 PM
johnjm22

Amazing how quickly things can change. A few years ago no one in their right mind would have thought Carter and Richards would be playing for LA in 11-12.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:21 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
"Congrats on the trade" Marty McSorely. Really Marty, that's how you open up an interview?
i busted up laughing. what an idiot.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:22 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Amazing how quickly things can change. A few years ago no one in their right mind would have thought Carter and Richards would be playing for LA in 11-12.
Seriously. I'm still in shock.

People can stop saying dean doesn't pull the trigger on trades blahbkahbkah.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:24 PM
SFKingshomer

Ive been one of Lombardis biggest supporters but I hate this move and if he trades Brown for anything short of a star winger or stud defenseman, I will stop watching until hes replaced

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:27 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post

You can bet Carter will play so hard that he never has to be traded from his best buddy again. I can't believe the player I've been pining for ever since I heard the words "is not happy about being traded to Columbus" is a King.

I don't think effort is going to be an issue. The guy's a better point totaler than anyone else on the team.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Or even 9 months ago! I saw on twitter, it was 8 months ago to the day that Carter and Richards were traded. Now back together. SO weird.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Seriously. I'm still in shock.

People can stop saying dean doesn't pull the trigger on trades blahbkahbkah.
Oh i'll S-T-F-U about that now, don't you worry.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:28 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Ive been one of Lombardis biggest supporters but I hate this move and if he trades Brown for anything short of a star winger or stud defenseman, I will stop watching until hes replaced
Empty threat. You're like all of us, you'll watch even if they were in last place. That's how sports fans are.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:29 PM
theMajor

my only question about this is, which Fyler is Deaner going to sign next?

bring Giroux to LA too!

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:31 PM
riznat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Why? Voynov has the skill to be just as good or better than Johnson and we needed goal scoring incredibly bad. To top it off we get a player signed to a great deal who is thrilled to come here to play with his buddy who is also signed here long term on a great contract.

Brown isnt that great either, he dives (or falls? alot... A LOT). Hes a terrible on ice captain, he rarely sticks up for anyone, he doesnt get the team going etc.. I don't care if hes good with kids and visits hospitals, he has no killer instinct on the ice and he does not have the ability to put the team on his back and get this team going (physically on the ice or emotionally). For whatever reason, a lot of other teams' fans think he is really something special. He used to be a good hitter, and he puts up points here and there but hes not special.

riznat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:36 PM
tomd

Carter adds to offense but going into the last 20 games of the year and the playoffs (maybe) with Voynov/Drewiski/Martinez as your #5/#6 defensemen is pretty scary. In the playoffs they will get eaten alive.

tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Well, nobody can say Dean doesn't pull the triggers on deals.

Also can't say he isn't doing what he can to help the offense.

We have Voynov/Hickey/Deslauriers all chomping at the bits in the minors. Trade from a position of strength to gain in a position of weakness. Hockey trade 101. I like it.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

"Jeff gives you the flexibility to fill-in in the middle if you have some injuries."

- Dean Lombardi

Guess we know he will be playing wing.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:42 PM
SFKingshomer

Yea, not sold on our D if we get to the playoffs. Suter would be awesome but doubtful they trade him.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I am buying Quattro a Richardson jersey.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Craig Button is an idiot.

He said in his analysis....he thinks that part of the problem with the L.A. Kings has been that they don't have 3-4 solid defensemen in the lineup.

Uh hello dumb**** we have the 3rd or 4th highest scoring set of defensemen in the league..and are top 5 in goals against.

Have you seen that our offense is 30th by the way?

What a ****ing moron.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
To paraphrase the billboards, The Time Better Be Now because all of the eggs are officially in one basket. This is the team that you get after sitting through the years of gap fillers and bridge players and boxes on a board and fawning over that player in juniors who you are SURE is going to be the one - because in Dean We Trust.

I really hope that they can figure out a way to pull it together - because if they don't, the Kings are likely to be mired in mediocrity for a very long time. The prime draft picks for about a 5 year period are all gone or the picks are already traded away. As we have all experienced, it takes a tremendous amount of time to build up that pipeline so that it can feed quality players into your system. The fans made the sacrifice - they dutifully attended the games when it seemed like the team was intentionally sucking for a better draft pick.

Being older has its disadvantages. I've seen this scenario play out time and again - new management comes in talking about building the team "the right way". Younger fans who haven't experienced that philosophy before embrace the mantra and slam anyone who questions the guru. The guru puts out a crap team now, but "the future is bright" for those who have "patience". This goes on until the guru turns out to be just another late-night huckster who really doesn't know any better than anyone else. As his house of cards starts to collapse, he starts giving away small pieces of the future that he has accumulated at the expense of the "ticket-buying no matter what the team looked like" fans to try to bolster the lack of performance. When those moves don't work, he starts gambling larger and larger pieces of that hard-earned future - but nothing works.

One day, the fans look up and take off the purple glasses and in unison murmur "Where did the future go? Where are all of those options we were suppose to have?" Congratulations - the options are all gone. The team you see is the team you are going to have for a long time. There are few, if any, impact players in the system and at the moment they are essentially maxed out to the salary cap. Sure, they can dump a few underperforming UFAs at the end of the season - but who do they pick up to replace them?

Is this the team to challenge for the Cup that you imagined after experiencing the glow from the golden tongue of the Smartest Man in the Room 6 years ago? This scenario plays out over and over again. Remember this lesson when the next new GM comes to town promising Cups and banners and parades. It takes more than words to make those events actually happen.
I generally agree with both yours and Herby's sentiments, but I think we should let Jeff Carter step on the ice before we crucify this trade. It does, though, scare me, that for better or for worse, this is essentially the core of the team for the next 5+ years, so we have just hope and pray that Carter is part of the answer instead of further questions. But I'm going to give it a few games before I feel one way or the other, because like everyone else, I'm very conflicted on this team and its direction.

Trades happen in pro sports. It sucks, especially when you lose loyal, fan-favorite personalities. But we move on.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote